OUYA - Coming March 2013 Page 12

• Page

of 16 First / Last

• neilka 11 Apr 2013 14:09:49 16,247 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I imagine the person filming it was either laughing or crying.
  • PearOfAnguish 13 Apr 2013 09:52:12 7,372 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ouya finally sent out an update on its shipping progress. It supposedly started sending these out in March, but is now saying it's not going to be finished until 25 May. That's the early backer units, the ones they said aren't final, yet shortly after this they will supposedly begin a retail launch.

Just in case there is anyone left who thinks these people have the slightest measure of competence, this is the chart they used to show their shipping progress:

Vindication for the backers. As you can see from this vague chart with the line drawn on in MS Paint, everything is going really well.
  • OptimusPube 13 Apr 2013 10:23:07 3,140 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Why would anyone buy this now anyway, you can pick up a this gen console for a hundred spondoolicks.

Danny MacAskill gives me a boner

• cubbymoore 13 Apr 2013 16:34:35 36,501 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    Ouya finally sent out an update on its shipping progress. It supposedly started sending these out in March, but is now saying it's not going to be finished until 25 May. That's the early backer units, the ones they said aren't final, yet shortly after this they will supposedly begin a retail launch.

Just in case there is anyone left who thinks these people have the slightest measure of competence, this is the chart they used to show their shipping progress:

http://www.ouya.tv/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/TheChart.png

Vindication for the backers. As you can see from this vague chart with the line drawn on in MS Paint, everything is going really well.
    Fucking hell.
  • mrpon 18 Apr 2013 14:27:27 29,189 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    LetsGo wrote:
    mrpon wrote:
    LetsGo wrote:
    Fair enough.

There's no way emulators will be allowed 'officially', your need to modify your Ouya console to get them to run.
    Yes they are.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/03/25/who-needs-original-content-ouya-to-launch-with-nintendo-64-snes-and-nes-emulation-support/
    I never said they can't be used, I said they won't be officially supported.

Which they won't.
    Are you saying that something available in the official store isn't classed as officially supported?
    Another emulator added to the official store, a Nintendo DS emulator.

http://jeffq.com/blog/nds4droid-release-27/

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Deckard1 18 Apr 2013 14:30:07 28,724 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Haha, that graph is amazing.
  • PearOfAnguish 18 Apr 2013 14:33:01 7,372 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It is certainly something, kind of have to admire her balls, but if I was a backer I'd be seriously annoyed at her complete contempt for everyone that's given them money.

That graph seems to vaguely suggest that tens of thousands of them should have been shipped by now but that doesn't appear to have happened at all, not even close.
  • PearOfAnguish 21 Apr 2013 11:28:15 7,372 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Julie has broken out MS Paint again. This should reassure anyone worried by the shaky lines of the last graph:

• cubbymoore 21 Apr 2013 11:44:53 36,501 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Why have they changed the start date and the date formatting?
  • PearOfAnguish 21 Apr 2013 11:54:47 7,372 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Because Ouya does not conform to your outdated calender system. Don't question it!
  • neilka 21 Apr 2013 12:07:25 16,247 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Next time someone at work asks me why I haven't done something that was meant to be done months ago I'm just going to draw a graph with a dotted line on it and tell them to shut the fuck up. Thanks Ouya!
  • PearOfAnguish 27 Apr 2013 12:07:18 7,372 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    OUYA UPDATE.

The finger-paint chart returns. Stunning.

They're claiming 32% will be shipped by end of play next week. So in theory thousands of them should be kicking about, but barely anyone is mentioning it on Twitter, the forums and sub-Reddits are relatively quiet and isouyashipping.com still only has evidence of 26 received from a sample of 3% of the backers. Developers are reporting seeing daily download figures in double digits at best, or have sold 1 or 2 copies since 'launch', and some of these games have been downloaded millions of times on other platforms.

Edited by PearOfAnguish at 12:08:55 27-04-2013
  • cubbymoore 27 Apr 2013 14:26:37 36,501 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well shipped and received are two different figures. I imagine they'll use the cheapest courier they could so people might have to wait for weeks to get theirs after they've been shipped.
  • Deckard1 27 Apr 2013 15:03:15 28,724 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Meanwhile at Ouya Headquarters

• PearOfAnguish 27 Apr 2013 15:29:41 7,372 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    Well shipped and received are two different figures. I imagine they'll use the cheapest courier they could so people might have to wait for weeks to get theirs after they've been shipped.
    If so, they need to be more careful about how they're presenting themselves, because it's going to mean weeks more waiting for the backers who were told they'd get it in March. And all while they're claiming to be transparent.

However...they only needed to make 60,000 units. A factory could do that in well under a week, so either they've managed to locate the most inefficient manufacturer in all of Asia, or there's something else going on. Could be they got bumped by a bigger order (apparently an issue for small companies dealing with Chinese firms), or they've hit a major snag with production, or simply run out of money.

From what I understand it's standard procedure to do a test run before full production that amounts to something in the region of 200 units, so the consoles already floating around might be nothing more than the test batch.

It's funny to see their attempts at PR completely backfire too - oddly enough many of the first units to ship went to backers who were journalists and bloggers. But then Engadget, Verge and others started slated it and they backtracked saying that these were only early backer devices and not indicative of the final release.
  • Deleted user 27 April 2013 15:54:29
    It's both hilarious and kinda frightening how little they seem to give a fuck about their "investors". It very much strikes me as a "we have your money now, so goodbye, we'll be focusing on retail".
  • INSOMANiAC 28 Apr 2013 00:56:23 3,833 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It seems @PearOfAnguish is taking great delight in this thing potentially being shit and them being behind in their shipping.

Yes, the thing needs work, no, right now no one is making triple A games for it because there's no fucker to buy them to justify the effort, yes they've fucked up their shipping and they clearly are in over their head, yes the controllers a bit shit in the first batch but fuck me, it's a $99 toy that people will most likely be using as an emulator and media centre. Give it a rest eh, you haven't backed it so what the fuck does it matter to you?

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• PearOfAnguish 28 Apr 2013 11:14:52 7,372 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Their unending incompetence is hilarious, which is enough, but it's also a shady setup that deserves to be exposed and mocked as much as possible.

It's also a $99 toy that does little you can't achieve with either a smartphone or tablet that many already own, or with a 50 Android stick. So there's that too.
  • grey_matters 28 Apr 2013 12:11:13 3,798 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    Their unending incompetence is hilarious, which is enough, but it's also a shady setup that deserves to be exposed and mocked as much as possible.

It's also a $99 toy that does little you can't achieve with either a smartphone or tablet that many already own, or with a 50 Android stick. So there's that too.
    So for 13 extra you get a controller (that admittedly needs improvement) and slightly better performance along with a chance of an occasional exclusive and, more than likely, far better support. It might not be that suitable for everyone but it's hardly the worst deal ever.

Edited by grey_matters at 12:11:37 28-04-2013
  • Deleted user 28 April 2013 16:31:59
    It's not the worst thing ever, but it's far far far from the best. It's certainly something that makes you question what they actually did with the $4 million or so they raised.

That being said, the performance thing is an issue. It's outperformed by most other devices coming out now, even crappy HDMI sticks straight from the Chinese sweatshops (and this is bearing in mind that Ouya hasn't even hit public launch yet). This only ranks big release models, but it gives you a fairly good idea - http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/mobile/

Edited by meme at 16:37:57 28-04-2013
  • mrpon 28 Apr 2013 16:32:24 29,189 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Check this fairly negativereview out, the games look (obviously) atrocious, the emulator aspect looks very interesting though.

Warning: annoying Ashton Kutcher meets Gilbert Gottfried reviewer.

Never realised the 360/PS3 wireless controllers will work with this out of the box. Sell the Ouya gamepad and you've got yourself a sub-50 emulation/media box!

• Deleted user 28 April 2013 16:35:54
    The profits from the emulator files all go to the original developers?

Something doesn't quite sound right there, especially when we're talking Nintendo.
  • mrpon 28 Apr 2013 16:36:59 29,189 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah that raised an eyebrow.

• PearOfAnguish 28 Apr 2013 17:06:53 7,372 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Even using it for emulation doesn't make a massive amount of sense. Got any kind of PC that's not more than a few years old? That'll emulate anything you like and it's a piece of piss to run a HDMI cable off it, or you could build a cheap media centre with far more flexibility for relatively little. If you don't want a PC in the living room then get a chipped Xbox or Gamecube, or you can pick up an original PSP for a pittance and use that. Any of those options has a far superior back catalogue too, not to mention a wide range of controller options.

And the idea of building a console around indie gaming sounds good in principle, but when you remove the barriers to entry you're going to be flooded with shit, which is exactly what's happened. They've got zero quality control and their games catalogue is now comprised of either Android or browser game ports, or terrible shite made using cheap game maker tools by complete newbies.

mrpon wrote:
    Never realised the 360/PS3 wireless controllers will work with this out of the box. Sell the Ouya gamepad and you've got yourself a sub-50 emulation/media box!
    360 and PS3 controllers already work with Android devices (PS3 over Bluetooth, 360 with USB if available) not just Ouya, a budget Android stick or tablet will do it.
  • mrpon 28 Apr 2013 17:10:29 29,189 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pfft, got all those things already Pear! This is just another fad item for evaluation. If it's shit, it'll get sold off.

• PearOfAnguish 28 Apr 2013 17:15:18 7,372 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Now the Huawei MediaQ...that is potentially worth looking out for if you're interested in some kind of Android STB. Has a quad core CPU with a gig of RAM and 32GB onboard storage, plus microSD, and dual HDMI, one of which can be used to input signal from a TV box. But it also acts as a mirroring device for any other Android phone or tablet. Really tiny so it can sit out the way behind a TV, and they're talking about it retailing for about $80.

Edited by PearOfAnguish at 17:15:46 28-04-2013
  • Retroid Moderator 28 Apr 2013 17:23:05 45,006 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Still not really doing anything my 37 (delivered) UG007 HDMI stick doesn't already. Some games will perform better, of course, but mine has the advantage of being much cheaper in the first place *and* full access to the Google Play store.

PS3 pads work over USB too, BTW. It also charges them! :D
  • mrpon 28 Apr 2013 17:54:10 29,189 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No ethernet Retroid. I'm looking for something that might replace the Apple TV box.

• Retroid Moderator 28 Apr 2013 18:35:59 45,006 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Apparently a good few of the sticks support USB ethernet. Not tried it myself, but there you go.
  • PearOfAnguish 4 May 2013 11:01:56 7,372 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yisss a new graph. And this one is special...

Check out the date on the 'actual' line, then look at today's date.

Ouya is so advanced it's being delivered in the future.

Ol' Julie did an AMA on Reddit yesterday. That was a resounding success. Admitted that one month away from their supposed retail launch they haven't started manufacturing the units for retail.
  • Page

of 16 First / Last