OUYA - Coming March 2013 Page 11

• Page

of 16 First / Last

• PearOfAnguish 5 Apr 2013 09:42:49 7,274 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Does anyone know whether its compatible with the Oculus Rift?

Also does it have a slot for my Sega 32X so I can increase the mammarys?
    Install this RAM Booster software, double your memory for only 59.99.
  • mrpon 5 Apr 2013 10:03:41 28,893 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    woot i saved 100!
    Pfft, but you could've made 20, y'know for kebab & chips!

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• disusedgenius 5 Apr 2013 10:08:15 5,314 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A, B, X, and Y are not to be trifled with
    :D
  • THFourteen 5 Apr 2013 10:48:46 33,393 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    woot i saved 100!
    Pfft, but you could've made 20, y'know for kebab & chips!
    nom nom nom

hungry
  • wobbly_Bob 5 Apr 2013 11:23:03 1,747 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm still interested. It's early days yet and as was pointed out that is an early version sent to backers. It's not officially out for a few months yet. Ouya says that before it's on retail the firmware will be updated. Sure it has its problems. Would I buy it as is right now? Probably not but I can see the potential. Software and interface problems are very easily fixed. Early fames are rushed easy ports of Android smartphone games? Not a surprise is it? Gve it time.
  • disusedgenius 5 Apr 2013 11:28:56 5,314 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The bigger issue is really the controller, from the sound of it. Getting games to work for the home console was always going to be a longer-term thing, but the controller, security and freemium issues are going to be tough to get around.
  • wobbly_Bob 5 Apr 2013 11:57:40 1,747 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    The bigger issue is really the controller, from the sound of it. Getting games to work for the home console was always going to be a longer-term thing, but the controller, security and freemium issues are going to be tough to get around.
    Well the freemium thing ( must be free to download at least) can be easily fixed by mandating any price to be posted on the download screen.

The controller was said to be good apart from he latency. I know nothing about this stuff but couldn't the be fixed via a firmware update? But yeah I agree with you there. The controller is bloody vital. If they can't fix it with software it's going to be a huge negative. They would be kind of fucker if thy need to hardware revision as those early adaptors would be mightily pissed. I guess they would have to wait for the next version of ouya.
  • Deleted user 7 April 2013 03:22:44
    Damage control begins. "People are saying it's not ready because it's not ready"
  • LetsGo 7 Apr 2013 09:33:19 5,217 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Why did anyone think this would be decent? It's a low powered Andoid device which you will need to buy a new version every year to play the latest games.

Plus the beauty of most of these games is that they have been designed to be used without a controller, so it will feel rushed and tacked on.

No idea why devs would make exclusives for the platform either.
  • jimnastics 7 Apr 2013 09:46:37 275 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I backed it mainly as a media centre and retro emulator, and in the hope that indie game devs *might* start producing better quality Android games. Yes, I could play those games on my Nexus 4 hooked up to the TV, but a dedicated machine is much less hassle. But to be honest, if the media centre and emulator side of things work well, I'll be happy with my purchase.
  • LetsGo 7 Apr 2013 10:04:48 5,217 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fair enough.

There's no way emulators will be allowed 'officially', your need to modify your Ouya console to get them to run.
  • Mr-Brett 7 Apr 2013 10:22:50 12,787 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well sideloading is meant to very straight forward and since these emulators already exist on Android it should be a piece of piss. They won't appear on the store but it won't require modifying anything.

I'll admit that I was excited by the idea when it was announced, I didn't back it (but was tempted) and I haven't totally written it off yet since it's not even launched properly.

I guess it's not much of a surprise that it's having a rocky start and could well flop, consoles have always done that. At least people are getting their consoles, a lot of people said that would never happen.

Portable view - Never forget.

• Deleted user 7 April 2013 11:59:22
    I was interested in this as I agree there is a market for the budget console, but a couple of things have come up which I don't like.

First, the games. I think better games from small teams could be made, but so far all i've seen is a flood of crap indie games. I'm all for supporting the indie's, but my god, some crap has appeared on there...

Secondly, I think they could of made it at around 150 ish and gone the extra mile to make it a bit stronger. I don't think they needed to use a mobile phone Tegra 3 chip.

Edited by Rec at 12:01:52 07-04-2013
  • PearOfAnguish 7 Apr 2013 12:05:06 7,274 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    The controller was said to be good apart from he latency.
    Read the reviews. The battery compartment doesn't sit flush so the analogue sticks catch on the edge. Shoddy.
  • wobbly_Bob 7 Apr 2013 12:28:44 1,747 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    The controller was said to be good apart from he latency.
    Read the reviews. The battery compartment doesn't sit flush so the analogue sticks catch on the edge. Shoddy.
    I did read them. The battery compartment is a bit fiddly but once fitted doesn't affect the sticks. It catches when fitting.

I'm still optimistic. I was an early adapotor of Android. I got the very first device, HTC magic ( if I recall properly) back then android had loads of problems but it got better. I really think this has potential. Sure it's got problems but it's very early days. This is basically a beta sent to backers. The commercial version isn't out yet. As I said previously, I wouldn't buy it as is but I think it may be a good thing in the future.
  • Deleted user 7 April 2013 14:14:22
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    Well sideloading is meant to very straight forward
    Not straightforward at all. Almost every review thus far has mentioned it's fiddly and annoying.
  • mrpon 7 Apr 2013 16:45:30 28,893 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:
    Fair enough.

There's no way emulators will be allowed 'officially', your need to modify your Ouya console to get them to run.
    Yes they are.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/03/25/who-needs-original-content-ouya-to-launch-with-nintendo-64-snes-and-nes-emulation-support/

• Mr-Brett 7 Apr 2013 16:50:33 12,787 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    Well sideloading is meant to very straight forward
    Not straightforward at all. Almost every review thus far has mentioned it's fiddly and annoying.
    Oh, I missed that. I thought that's what the dev section on the menu was for, maybe it's only for ouya specific games then.

Portable view - Never forget.

• LetsGo 7 Apr 2013 18:15:55 5,217 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    LetsGo wrote:
    Fair enough.

Yes they are.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/03/25/who-needs-original-content-ouya-to-launch-with-nintendo-64-snes-and-nes-emulation-support/
    I never said they can't be used, I said they won't be officially supported.

Which they won't.
  • mrpon 7 Apr 2013 18:28:43 28,893 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:
    mrpon wrote:
    LetsGo wrote:
    Fair enough.

Yes they are.

I never said they can't be used, I said they won't be officially supported.

Which they won't.
    Are you saying that something available in the official store isn't classed as officially supported?

• PearOfAnguish 11 Apr 2013 11:59:01 7,274 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Things are not looking too healthy for Ouya. Despite claiming that they were starting to ship, they haven't actually sent out many units. Most of the people who received them were backers who paid to attend their party at GDC.

There's a shipment tracking site which claims that of 893 people, only 9 have actually had a shipping notification. And the five that actually received anything so far are all in the US.

Maybe they're waaaay behind on production, but URH-MAN isn't saying anything. Could be that the only units sent out so far were all they could afford and now they're out of cash.

Also, Something Awful forum peeps have been submitting fake games and getting them listed as upcoming releases. They aren't even subtle - one is called 'Wizard of Fakery', and another is a transparent mockery of Ouya.

This is basically a beta sent to backers. The commercial version isn't out yet.
    It's mindboggling that you, and other backers, are trying to justify it like this. They weren't calling it a beta until the early reviews popped up slating it. You've paid to beta test this junk, how does that feel?

Have you even looked at the games coming out for this piece of crap?

They are almost without exception utter garbage. Aside from FF3 the best they can do is stuff like Canabalt, which you can play for free right now in a browser. The rest are shitty homemade things made by kids or rip-offs of other games, some even using stolen assets.

But maybe I'm being too cynical. Who wouldn't want to play great games like this:

Suck it, big 3!
  • Ryze 11 Apr 2013 12:06:55 3,124 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This works fine:

People have over-inflated expectations of a brand new $99 console with a new front-end.

Edited by Ryze at 12:08:08 11-04-2013
  • Deckard1 11 Apr 2013 12:08:47 27,981 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Runs better on my phone
  • PearOfAnguish 11 Apr 2013 12:10:38 7,274 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Right...so have EA signed up to develop for Ouya now?

The hardware's abilities aren't the issue*. We know what Tegra3 is capable of, the problem is that nobody is making games worth jack shit.

*possibly. Apparently this Yves chap originally designed the Ouya without a fan, but it does now have one, except the exhaust vents are on the bottom. Toasty.

Edited by PearOfAnguish at 12:12:25 11-04-2013
  • neilka 11 Apr 2013 12:11:24 15,910 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And this is Deckard's phone

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• PearOfAnguish 11 Apr 2013 12:13:19 7,274 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Was that phone designed by Yves Behar? To whom do I give my $1337 because I gotta be at the forefront of this revolution.
  • Whizzo 11 Apr 2013 13:44:48 43,117 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Need for Frame Rate looks fantastic.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Chopsen 11 Apr 2013 13:59:11 15,948 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:

Ha! Those look awesome. I particularly like the one where a little girl has to defeat a monkey by throwing massive fake boobs at him.
  • Widge Moderator 11 Apr 2013 13:59:27 13,542 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I still cannot see any appeal in this, aside from people wanting to rip a load of old console ROMs off the net for free and play those.

If you want to play decent console games, it is probably best to wait, put some extra cash, and it's not a lot, aside and get a proper console.

I saw someone summarise it quite effectively; all you are really doing is buying $99 worth of nerd street cred.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• cubbymoore 11 Apr 2013 14:01:50 36,496 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Everything in that video shuddered, even the front menu. Maybe that was the camera?
  • Page

of 16 First / Last