EU rules that downloadable games to be resellable Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • Deleted user 4 July 2012 14:46:31
    Assuming this was enforced then couldn't someone buy 1 copy and then distribute to as many people as they want to, effectively legalising piracy?

I refer to my quote above about transfer of ownership.
  • Dirtbox 4 Jul 2012 14:49:07 77,480 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If it did come to pass and was made possible then the first thing they'd do is have the game removed from your account on resale.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Deleted user 4 July 2012 14:49:51
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Aargh. wrote:
    Make all games require an online connection and then you're licensing access to that/charging for that service and not the game software.
    Turning games into an ongoing paid for service is akin to making everything an MMO. And that doesn't touch things like ebooks, movies, TV shows and music unless they're cloud served.
    I'm thinking like the Diablo 3 approach. It's not ideal, especially for non games, but it's one way around it, I'm sure any of the existing distributors could find better ways.
  • disusedgenius 4 Jul 2012 14:53:10 5,227 posts
    Seen 43 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I imagine it'd work similarly to game gifting as it exists on Steam at the moment, which doesn't seem to be a massive issue for them.
  • Dirtbox 4 Jul 2012 14:55:57 77,480 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Except the money transaction part is a bit of a hurdle.

Still doubt it'll happen though.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• CosmicFuzz 4 Jul 2012 15:19:23 23,350 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nothing will happen until someone takes valve etc to court. Which probably will happen at some point going on the suits brought by the folk after Sony removed Linux etc.

And even then, the massive impracticalities will stop it I think.

Can video games be a force for good? My latest article says yes!

• jakuande 4 Jul 2012 15:46:26 192 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Steam is already acting like a sort of digital rights registra so it would be fairly trivial for them to put together a system for transfering rights between account holders. (As pointed out above they already have the game gifting system.)

Of course there's no profit in it for them, unless they decide to charge an "admin fee" for processing the transfers... I also doubt they would provide the actual marketplace for selling 2nd hand stuff, but who knows, they could set up their own 2nd hand, digital game store and take massive cuts from second hand sales to the extent that they get more money from them than they do from first sales...
  • santashi 4 Jul 2012 15:47:25 5,057 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    Assuming this was enforced then couldn't someone buy 1 copy and then distribute to as many people as they want to, effectively legalising piracy?

Presume the idea is it would work in the same way that you share Kindle books, ie. if someone else is using your copy then you can't use it. Not that that would really work in this case, but it's the best example that comes to mind.

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• CosmicFuzz 4 Jul 2012 15:50:35 23,350 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    santashi wrote:
    Aargh. wrote:

Presume the idea is it would work in the same way that you share Kindle books, ie. if someone else is using your copy then you can't use it. Not that that would really work in this case, but it's the best example that comes to mind.
    Can't be too hard to make a system where once you've transferred the game you no longer have access to it.

The problem comes with companies that unlike steam don't have such a robust system in place.

• santashi 4 Jul 2012 15:55:06 5,057 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    santashi wrote:
    Aargh. wrote:

Can't be too hard to make a system where once you've transferred the game you no longer have access to it.

The problem comes with companies that unlike steam don't have such a robust system in place.
    That wasn't the part that I thought would be problematic. I was thinking more that you would have to do something to stop people just passing it back and forth or having a chain of people passing it along and only buying one original copy between them. Just something in place to stop people taking the mickey, really, like how only one person can log into a single Steam account at a time. I'm sure they could do it but I imagine they'd probably rather not.

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• disusedgenius 4 Jul 2012 16:04:01 5,227 posts
    Seen 43 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Makes just as much sense as selling it in the first place.
  • CosmicFuzz 4 Jul 2012 16:15:44 23,350 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    santashi wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    santashi wrote:
    Aargh. wrote:

That wasn't the part that I thought would be problematic. I was thinking more that you would have to do something to stop people just passing it back and forth or having a chain of people passing it along and only buying one original copy between them. Just something in place to stop people taking the mickey, really, like how only one person can log into a single Steam account at a time. I'm sure they could do it but I imagine they'd probably rather not.
    Ah of course, sorry I see what you're meaning. Yeah that is a problem, but isn't that just what happens with physical games too? I buy a copy then pass it around my friends? Hell there's a lenders group right here on the forum!

• CosmicFuzz 4 Jul 2012 16:17:49 23,350 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TheDynamicDc wrote:
    So...you can resell something that technically doesn't exist in the physical world.

In that case I've got an absolutely brilliant quasi-laser gun for sale if anybody wants to throw up a few hundred quid for it.

Sent in finest quality imaginary bubble-wrap and a make-believe cardboard box complete with limited edition pink polar bear.
    There's a difference between something intangible and something made up. The money in your bank account for example (it's intangible not made up).

• nickthegun 4 Jul 2012 16:25:50 58,896 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thats some fairly spectacular point missing.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Stickman 4 Jul 2012 16:43:33 29,662 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If you're Manatank's finest, God help the rest of them.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• nickthegun 4 Jul 2012 16:47:25 58,896 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Their junior uk editor rides to work on the sunshine bus.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• MrTomFTW Moderator 4 Jul 2012 17:08:36 37,383 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TheDynamicDc wrote:
    So...you can resell something that technically doesn't exist in the physical world.

In that case I've got an absolutely brilliant quasi-laser gun for sale if anybody wants to throw up a few hundred quid for it.

Sent in finest quality imaginary bubble-wrap and a make-believe cardboard box complete with limited edition pink polar bear.
    What in the actual fuck.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• mal 4 Jul 2012 18:53:10 22,341 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Nothing will happen until someone takes valve etc to court. Which probably will happen at some point going on the suits brought by the folk after Sony removed Linux etc.
    That Sony lawsuit was one of those mickey mouse class action things they have in the US, wasn't it? In Europe I believe you have to do more than click 'Sue' to sue someone.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• CosmicFuzz 4 Jul 2012 19:12:30 23,350 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mal wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    That Sony lawsuit was one of those mickey mouse class action things they have in the US, wasn't it? In Europe I believe you have to do more than click 'Sue' to sue someone.
    I think you can still get class action lawsuits in the UK, but I'm not sure. But you're right, it'll be harder to find a firm to represent you here I'd hope than in the states.

• bad09 1 Feb 2013 12:14:45 5,643 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Valve now being sued over not letting people sell on games, (also notes the nasty problem of Steamworks chaining people to Steam even when they buy a disc \o/ )

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/02/01/valve-sued-by-german-consumer-group-because-steam-users-cant-resell-games/

Doubt anything will come of it sadly but more and more pressure about these DRMs the better for consumers especially given most of the industry now uses Steamworks or their own client to chain you down disc or download.
  • DFawkes 1 Feb 2013 12:45:08 22,616 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wasn't the original ruling that you couldn't block the sale of downloaded games? I don't remember anything saying you HAD to facilitate the selling of them.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• bad09 1 Feb 2013 12:51:03 5,643 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    True but more and more pressure may mean they do end up providing a means. May not go that way of course but as you say as it stood nothing actually changed with the ruling.

Anything that fights back against DRM is positive in my book.
  • Stranded87 1 Feb 2013 15:24:43 865 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    But how do you sell a Steam game without selling a whole account (which I'm guessing they don't let you do anyway)? Surely if it's impossible to sell it then they are essentially blocking it.

Unless you can sell Steam games, in which ignore me.
  • jabberwoky 1 Feb 2013 20:42:25 467 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well I hope they do something soon, I havn't bought a PC game for ages because of the way they are sold, would be quite nice to be able to again.
  • Destria 1 Feb 2013 20:56:15 2,819 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Problem with this is that a used digital game isn't like a used car (or even a used DVD), as there's no wear and tear and no discernable difference. Why would anyone need to buy a new game if it was available used
  • Deleted user 1 February 2013 21:07:07
    True, generally pc games are far cheap. Gamers seem to be the most demanding consumers around, seem to think they have a right to everything.
  • onestepfromlost 1 Feb 2013 21:10:00 2,039 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Destria wrote:
    Problem with this is that a used digital game isn't like a used car (or even a used DVD), as there's no wear and tear and no discernable difference. Why would anyone need to buy a new game if it was available used
    Well ifi no-one buys new ones who will sell them on?
  • Moot_Point 9 Mar 2013 23:01:40 3,920 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago

Looks like both Amazon and Apple are preparing to set up 2nd hand digital marketplaces for unwanted digital content.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next