The **Official** Tour de France 2012 Thread Page 2

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• gang_of_bitches 3 Jul 2012 21:00:32 5,640 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Salaman

Yup. You lost Rojas today didn't you? I'm sure they said he'd done his collarbone or something. Pretty much all my riders were involved in the crashes today, Hunter went down twice. Not that it matters, they're such a useless shower of shitmunchers they may as well all withdraw now.
  • Deleted user 3 July 2012 22:12:49
    just watched the last 20 k,( as well as on and off before i had to go to work) Yeah seems very crashtastic atm. Did wiggo get caught up in that uphill sprint as well?
  • elstoof 3 Jul 2012 22:37:53 8,055 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wiggo held up but given same time as it was within the last 3k. Missing all the coverage so far but at least I'm making a dent in your score Joel. The tour doesn't begin properly until we hit the mountains anyhow ;-)
  • Salaman 7 Jul 2012 11:01:34 19,444 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Back from vacation. Finally get to watch someTdF. This afternoon I will unpack, wash, tidy up to the accompanyment of the commentators trying to fill a live broadcast starting at 1 or 2pm. =)

Loving Sagan still. "The Hulk" this time. It's a shame about the frequent crashes. Comes with the Tour and it high stakes though. If you have 20-some sports directors urging their riders to get to the front of the bunch in order to avoid crashes that can cost time/injuries you get crashes.

Looked at the rankings last night. Impressive start for Joel still. We'll see what the mountains bring. Because of the crashes and the need to make up for lost time they hopefully won't all sit back and eye-ball each other.
  • Salaman 7 Jul 2012 11:02:09 19,444 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Back from vacation. Finally get to watch someTdF. This afternoon I will unpack, wash, tidy up to the accompanyment of the commentators trying to fill a live broadcast starting at 1 or 2pm. =)

Loving Sagan still. "The Hulk" this time. It's a shame about the frequent crashes. Comes with the Tour and it high stakes though. If you have 20-some sports directors urging their riders to get to the front of the bunch in order to avoid crashes that can cost time/injuries you get crashes.

Looked at the rankings last night. Impressive start for Joel still. We'll see what the mountains bring. Because of the crashes and the need to make up for lost time they hopefully won't all sit back and eye-ball each other.
  • Deleted user 7 July 2012 11:58:05
    yeah, at least you're back for the real stuff :). massive crash yesterday, def spruced up a run of the mill stage. really feel for all the gc guys invovled though. Reider, if his up for it, just got to attack now, a few others, if they group with him could make things really fun.

Thought that maybe after they caught, or got in touch with the break, they might slow it right down, but i guess its racing, and these things happen.
  • gang_of_bitches 7 Jul 2012 12:01:48 5,640 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Tour De France is rubbish and I wish I'd never proposed a fantasy league.
  • Deleted user 7 July 2012 12:02:44
    you guys have caught up well :) my team is kind of lop sided in favour of the flatter stuff :-(, unless the like of chavanel can stick with it in a break. But we see, expecting a lot from mollema and rolland ;)
  • elstoof 7 Jul 2012 12:06:17 8,055 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That'll be you at the bottom then, doing a good job there strongman ;-)

Hovering between second and third myself, think I'm third now. Need some results come the mountains, think Joel's team might drop a few points come the hills.
  • elstoof 7 Jul 2012 12:08:20 8,055 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think I picked a few too many rider just because they're class acts, Petacchi's done alright by me so far though.
  • gang_of_bitches 7 Jul 2012 12:13:44 5,640 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    That'll be you at the bottom then, doing a good job there strongman ;-)

Hovering between second and third myself, think I'm third now. Need some results come the mountains, think Joel's team might drop a few points come the hills.
    Yup. Happens every time I do any kind of fantasy league, I'm just the kiss of death. Was a massive error picking Cavendish over Sagan, I really should have known better. Hasn't helped that my riders seem to have been involved in pretty much every crash. Hunter alone has been down 3 times.
  • Deleted user 7 July 2012 12:15:46
    aye theres been a couple of decieving stages as well, a couple of slight uphill sprints that will favour the likes of sagan or eddy boss.

I was a in a rush picking, as i suspect most of us were, i was watching the preview show and they mentioning the time trails, i kind put my eggs in that basket.
  • gang_of_bitches 7 Jul 2012 16:23:04 5,640 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Great stage today, always good to get to some proper hills. Sky as a team were awesome in the last few Kms.
  • Deleted user 7 July 2012 16:31:26
    Great finish. sky really did drop the bomb. they were doing this well last year in the veulta. Love evans fighting spirit though
  • Salaman 7 Jul 2012 17:13:52 19,444 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BOOM!

And Sky drops off it's calling card. I think some teams will be in modest panic mode now. Cadel is always terribly nervous. The fact he ended up isolated so early on in the climb and Sky had 3/4 guys must be shitting him up at the moment.
  • Vortex808 7 Jul 2012 17:22:13 7,439 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    At last we're into the hills.

Great stage today, well done to Wiggins and co. Even though I don't like Evans he cycled really well again, despite having no team support at all.

He always seems like such a weird shifty geezer.
  • Deleted user 7 July 2012 21:43:32
    going to be an interesting stage tomorrow, think theres going to be a lot of attacks.

• Salaman 8 Jul 2012 10:05:49 19,444 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Froom actually ended up in the Polka dots yesterday, I didn't realise right after they finished. So that's two jerseys in the Sky team and On UK backs. That's pretty impressive. The UK used to be next to nowhere in cycling. That's really changed the last few years.

Sagan came across the finish with a smile, doing a wheelie. :-) Most other riders looked exhausted and glad to be crossing the line at last. He's bound to liven things up in a good way for a few years to come.

Why oh why did I agree to go meet a friend today? I'm already feeling sorry for myself about missimg the stage.
  • Deleted user 8 July 2012 10:24:26
    Me too. at work till 4 :(
  • elstoof 8 Jul 2012 11:00:30 8,055 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Going to Ikea with a stinking hangover when I should be watching my first bit of the tour on the sofa.
  • Salaman 9 Jul 2012 16:15:45 19,444 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well I sort of assumed we'd meet at 2pm and I'd be heading home by 6pm or 7pm to watch my taped tour stage.
    Got home at midnight instead. :-/
    I was going to just skip through the stage at a watch a minute or 2 to see what's up, skip ahead 10 minutes pace.

Didn't happen. The start of that stage was mental. The broadcast started about 20km in, with 137 to go. People were trying to break away left, right and centre. Jens Voigt pull a 30 second lead, which he increased to about 50 seconds. He just kept going flat out assuming back up would arrive and nobody made it. All very nervous, very exciting. I ended up watching a good 30k of the stage. Exciting stuff and all from very early on, so not likely to really be seen by too many people.

Sadly this meant that it was 3:15am by the time I got to the stage finish. Great way to finish your 1 week vacation I guess but a but dumb to start the new work week with so little sleep. -_-

Hooray for Jurgen Van den Broecke who went on the attack. He was really unlucky on Saturday with trouble at a mere 10k from the finish. Good so see him at it yesterday though.

I'm out for a birthday celebration tonight, so probably a very late night catch up again. *sigh*
  • gang_of_bitches 9 Jul 2012 16:49:30 5,640 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Well I sort of assumed we'd meet at 2pm and I'd be heading home by 6pm or 7pm to watch my taped tour stage.
    Got home at midnight instead. :-/
    I was going to just skip through the stage at a watch a minute or 2 to see what's up, skip ahead 10 minutes pace.

Didn't happen. The start of that stage was mental. The broadcast started about 20km in, with 137 to go. People were trying to break away left, right and centre. Jens Voigt pull a 30 second lead, which he increased to about 50 seconds. He just kept going flat out assuming back up would arrive and nobody made it. All very nervous, very exciting. I ended up watching a good 30k of the stage. Exciting stuff and all from very early on, so not likely to really be seen by too many people.

Sadly this meant that it was 3:15am by the time I got to the stage finish. Great way to finish your 1 week vacation I guess but a but dumb to start the new work week with so little sleep. -_-

Hooray for Jurgen Van den Broecke who went on the attack. He was really unlucky on Saturday with trouble at a mere 10k from the finish. Good so see him at it yesterday though.

I'm out for a birthday celebration tonight, so probably a very late night catch up again. *sigh*
    Don't miss it, was pretty incredible.
  • elstoof 9 Jul 2012 16:55:13 8,055 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Crumbs, good shout there.

Edited by elstoof at 17:27:38 09-07-2012
  • gang_of_bitches 9 Jul 2012 17:00:28 5,640 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @elstoof

Might want to put that in spoilers for those who've recorded it. But yes, just an unbelievably controlled ride by both of them. Will be interesting to see how Sky manage things now. With two GC contenders they could just send Froome into every breakaway and then leave Wiggins to cruise round. Would be a bit weird if Froome accidentally won it following this approach. The Eurosport commentators were saying that it may actually be too big a lead as they'll get no help from BMC.
  • Vortex808 9 Jul 2012 21:25:15 7,439 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cracking days racing today.
  • Trafford 9 Jul 2012 21:39:59 5,919 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So impressive today.
  • Deleted user 9 July 2012 21:54:15
    Just wow... his looking so good. great ride as well from Froome. Thought Cancellara was sublime, and for wiggo to do that.

Fed up with all the twats though whove already accused wiggins and team sky of epo and the like. its make me sad.

Bradley response to that yesterday was great though, even got a round of applause by the media ha.
  • grey_matters 9 Jul 2012 22:01:08 3,859 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    Just wow... his looking so good. great ride as well from Froome. Thought Cancellara was sublime, and for wiggo to do that.

Fed up with all the twats though whove already accused wiggins and team sky of epo and the like. its make me sad.

Bradley response to that yesterday was great though, even got a round of applause by the media ha.
    What was it?

I thought Wiggins had been one of the most vocal against doping over the years. Even Kimmage likes him IIRC (or did a few years back anyway).
  • Deleted user 9 July 2012 22:18:57
    yeah his massive on it, very vocal about doping.

this is what he said, its quite good

'I say they're just f****** w******. I cannot be doing with people like that.
    'It justifies their own bone-idleness because they can't ever imagine applying themselves to do anything in their lives.
    'It's easy for them to sit under a pseudonym on Twitter and write that sort of s***, rather than get off their a**** in their own lives and apply themselves and work hard at something and achieve something.
    'And that's ultimately it. C****.
  • elstoof 9 Jul 2012 23:07:52 8,055 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    On the other hand he can also offer gems of wisdom like his theory that tennis is a load of old shit because it a match only lasts an hour and a half.

A lot of the time I wish he'd keep schtum and let the cycling do the talking, it's what he's best at. I bet he wishes he said nothing about Millar being at the Olympics now, because his backtracking on the subject was a bit cringey.
  • Page

of 10 First / Last