Wiggins' speech was hilarious.
  • Psychotext 22 Jul 2012 17:24:04 54,405 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What did he say?
  • Fab4 22 Jul 2012 17:29:14 6,115 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    He started off by saying they were just about to draw the raffle tickets :) I think he was having a go at all the faffing they do on the podium and Leslie Garrett's 'singing' of the national anthem.
  • elstoof 22 Jul 2012 17:29:22 7,760 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Probably best to catch it on the highlights. Just wrote it out and doesn't come across so funny in text.
  • elstoof 22 Jul 2012 17:30:14 7,760 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bah, got in there too quick fab ;-) it'll be on the itv player soon I think.
  • Fab4 22 Jul 2012 17:39:45 6,115 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It wasn't funny ha-ha...it was 'out of context' funny. It seemed like he'd just won a local club tournament and was at the bar collecting his prize. Maybe because he's just down-to-earth and doesnt really like the limelight.
  • Fab4 22 Jul 2012 18:03:24 6,115 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    https://twitter.com/EiselBernhard/status/227081267630469120/photo/1/large

Edit: Also my lame attempt at Wiggo's portrait :)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/aVZSGEwXjpGn8ALqFYVF7-6mdjAY-Z7IwOcgRreXBlz_lQs6TEaz5xbl1A5ES23O5PEteZQ0exJtfs19zD7iz2239cUM=s0

Edited by Fab4 at 18:12:11 22-07-2012
  • MisterObvious 22 Jul 2012 18:22:17 1,413 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Cycling is getting huge in this country. It really is a golden era for British cycling, can't wait for the Olympic cycling too.
    If the swarms of people on bikes at the top of Box hill this afternoon are anything to go by, it already is huge!

Think I'll just switch everything off.

• gang_of_bitches 22 Jul 2012 18:35:09 5,637 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Immaterial wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    Cycling is getting huge in this country. It really is a golden era for British cycling, can't wait for the Olympic cycling too.
    If the swarms of people on bikes at the top of Box hill this afternoon are anything to go by, it already is huge!
    Sorry. One of those was me. Surprised there weren't more out really.
  • Deleted user 22 July 2012 19:11:26
    theres been a few families out today who came in the shop. its fantastic. hoping to get me one soon. saw a few people last night after i finished work.

saw the last 10 k today.

Papers were pretty good today. Most went with a front page or back page. the daily fail didn't go wiht anything on the front or back. All the broadsheets had a front page, sun went with full backpage, express and independant who have been fully plugging the tour all the the way through had smaller bits, but they gave more coverage of the tour so great for them!. Mirror had fuck all , just a little photo. not sure what they were like inside (Same for all papers).

hopefully all of tomorrow papers be covered in yellow :) and all the football stuff for at least one day can be kept off. (ahem people and the mirror ).
  • elstoof 22 Jul 2012 19:14:47 7,760 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Most importantly though, you took the fantasy league honours there Joel. Pipped me by 32 points! They must have edited out your acceptance speech on the ITV broadcast? Congrats!
  • gang_of_bitches 22 Jul 2012 19:19:05 5,637 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Most importantly though, you took the fantasy league honours there Joel. Pipped me by 32 points! They must have edited out your acceptance speech on the ITV broadcast? Congrats!
    Still banging on about that rubbish? It was clearly a terrible format, you can tell because I came last by a country mile :)
  • Deleted user 22 July 2012 19:19:41
    ha! thanks. I checked it two days ago, and you were like 11 points behind me, i thought i would be pipped at the end....but woohoo!
  • gang_of_bitches 22 Jul 2012 19:22:23 5,637 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not convinced it's updated for today yet. Are we sure?
  • elstoof 22 Jul 2012 19:27:25 7,760 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hmm, looks like it hasn't updated for today yet but considering Joel's got cavendish and I haven't, I'd have thought its a done deal :D
  • Salaman 22 Jul 2012 19:41:20 19,297 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    gang_of_bitches wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    Still banging on about that rubbish? It was clearly a terrible format, you can tell because I came last by a country mile :)
    +1, let's fire the idiot that came up with it in the first place.

Impressive work by the Brits. Totally dominated this year's tour.
    Britannia rules the roads it seems. At least for now. Coming off the back of such an achievement in the tour and on home turf, you'll probably end up bagging most Olympic gold cycling medals as well.

I hope it helps get the next generation into the sport and set-up for money, teams, public interest, etc.
  • elstoof 22 Jul 2012 19:50:23 7,760 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That Froome looks a bit like ET eh?
  • Trafford 22 Jul 2012 21:01:03 5,883 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Great tour. Brad is awesome.
  • gang_of_bitches 22 Jul 2012 21:21:00 5,637 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    gang_of_bitches wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    +1, let's fire the idiot that came up with it in the first place.

Impressive work by the Brits. Totally dominated this year's tour.
    Britannia rules the roads it seems. At least for now. Coming off the back of such an achievement in the tour and on home turf, you'll probably end up bagging most Olympic gold cycling medals as well.

I hope it helps get the next generation into the sport and set-up for money, teams, public interest, etc.
    Yeah, that guy's a prick!

Funnily enough we had a couple of younger lads down for our club run today, so I guess it's already having an effect.
  • Salaman 24 Jul 2012 18:03:59 19,297 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well see you all next year. :-)

Salut!
  • DaM 24 Jul 2012 18:19:16 13,338 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Well see you all next year. :-)

Salut!
    I'm struggling with the post-Tour feeling of emptiness and lack of direction in my life :(

But, GC first and second! I forgive Sky everything - in fact knighthoods for Rupert and James Murdoch!!
  • elstoof 24 Jul 2012 19:32:18 7,760 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What the hell? How did I manage to pip Joel at the post when cavendish won the stage?? I was so sure Joel would take the honours! Now I know how andy shleck feels.
  • gang_of_bitches 24 Jul 2012 20:50:56 5,637 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Even more amazing- I wasn't last!
  • Deleted user 24 July 2012 21:19:42
    @elstoof

nnnnnnnnooooooooo..... hands over yellow jersey. :)
  • Salaman 24 Jul 2012 23:30:25 19,297 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ha, I missed the final ranking. Looked on Sunday but that was too early apparently. Well done elstoof! After he was in the lead from day 1, that's an impressive job catching him at the line in Paris. :-)

/also a bit fidgetty with nothing to watch after work now
  • elstoof 25 Jul 2012 08:29:20 7,760 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's just a few days break, we've got the mens Olympic road race on Saturday, womens on Sunday, track cycling starts and the road time trial is, I think, Tuesday. Plenty of action coming up!
  • pistol 25 Jul 2012 11:01:03 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    We were in France for the beginning of tour as a couple of us were competing in the Marmotte Sportive. Fantastic buzz around and everyone very excited about the possibility of us having a TDF winner.

Personally I'm a big Wiggins fan and think he's a fantastic rider, but I did feel the Tour was dull compared to previous years. Sky rode very tactically and controlled the race in the style of Armstrong's US Postal or Discovery teams. Very impressive etc, but dull TV. I'm not condoning EPO but the previous tours where the GC contenders did multiple solo attacks in the mountains was far more exciting to watch. I'm glad the sport is a lot cleaner now but the riding isn't as exciting.

I'm hoping that next year Contador and potentially the Shlecks can make things a little more interesting, and Froome goes to another team so he can also challenge for yellow.

May be an unpopular view but hey..
  • sport 25 Jul 2012 11:24:08 12,775 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    pistol wrote:
    Trafford wrote:
    We were in France for the beginning of tour as a couple of us were competing in the Marmotte Sportive. Fantastic buzz around and everyone very excited about the possibility of us having a TDF winner.

Personally I'm a big Wiggins fan and think he's a fantastic rider, but I did feel the Tour was dull compared to previous years. Sky rode very tactically and controlled the race in the style of Armstrong's US Postal or Discovery teams. Very impressive etc, but dull TV. I'm not condoning EPO but the previous tours where the GC contenders did multiple solo attacks in the mountains was far more exciting to watch. I'm glad the sport is a lot cleaner now but the riding isn't as exciting.

I'm hoping that next year Contador and potentially the Shlecks can make things a little more interesting, and Froome goes to another team so he can also challenge for yellow.

Ha, exactly my thoughts this year. Well done Wiggo, but it was a bit dull. But it seems to be the formula for winning the Tour - Be a good time trialist, then simply stay on the wheel of your closest rival in mountains - Easy ;-P
  • pistol 25 Jul 2012 21:29:30 13,019 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    sport wrote:
    pistol wrote:
    Trafford wrote:

Ha, exactly my thoughts this year. Well done Wiggo, but it was a bit dull. But it seems to be the formula for winning the Tour - Be a good time trialist, then simply stay on the wheel of your closest rival in mountains - Easy ;-P
    I feel guilty for slating it as it's still an incredible win. Wiggo has the ability to ride at a hard tempo in the mountains and just enough to not lose any time, and then blitz everyone in the TT. Very similar to Indurain in the early 90's who I loved. Only difference is now we don't see many solo mountain attacks between the GC guys. And certainly not on multiple stages. I'm pleased the sport is cleaner now but I did prefer to watch em when they were EPO'd up.

I know it's wrong to say that but it might have something to do with the fact I have ridden a lot of the TDF climbs myself.
  • Deleted user 25 July 2012 22:26:25
    this tour suited wiggins, there weren't that many uphill finishes that riders could attack on, even so wiggins stayed with and rode away from other contenders. I'm still estatic about the win, can't keep from reflecting on it. Nibali just couldn't get away from him. Evans having a bad time of it. Ashame in a way that quite a few riders like heisdjal and sanchez were out of it before it got going.

I agree though that watching previous tours, the attacks etc are more exciting, The first tour i watched with wiggins at garmin was memorable as it was, with him doing well, but the attacks seemed relentless.

Whats even better though are the amount of people that enjoyed this tour and got into cycling and the tour. Next year should blow there socks hopefully. Its all good. :D
  • Page

of 10 First / Last