F1 2012 for 360, PS3, PC Page 5

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Next
  • shamblemonkee 19 Nov 2012 21:52:27 14,392 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    typically, not to much more to it but a few tips to maximise the gains;

DRS: don't save it just forstraights, depending on the corner experiment with opening it as early as you can get away with - you want to be dancing with the rear breaking free when experimenting to find the point just after that when you can open it safely.

KERS: use it in the places that will give you maximum benefit - ie corner exits on to long straights, dont waste it on short squirts.

use it from 2nd gear up to 4th roughly. basically dont use it to early or you'll spin the rears and after 4th you're generally going fast enough that the boost wont gain you as much as at lower speeds.
  • hypoBla5t 20 Nov 2012 08:13:32 1,412 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cheers dood, I guess I just need to KERS more wisely and push it a bit more with DRS!!
  • SYS64738 27 Nov 2012 22:06:02 1,661 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Gave this another go to see if the latest patch made any difference gameplay wise.

Not as many wet races now, and the grip situation mentioned before in changing weather conditions has improved as well (it seems that way at least, based on one semi-wet race I had so far it's a lot more playable).

Unfortunately I just cannot find the sweet spot of all the various settings to have a reasonably realistic Career experience. Switching between Intermediate and Professional AI, Traction/ABS on/off, it's very much hit and miss with regards to getting an enjoyable race.

The biggest issue is that the AI seems to be too slow in the corners on Intermediate, but not on all courses either. Sometimes Professional AI seems about right, but then I can't set decent enough Qualification times, thus failing team goals. There's just no consistency.

Am currently with Toro Rosso and it's either way too easy (Pole with 2 second gap to 2nd, then start/finish wins with 20 second leads), or overly difficult, to the point where backmarker teams are pushing me off the track (and still not getting punished of course while I get a 10 second penalty).

It's a pity but this game is still broken, and I've given up all hope that there'll EVER be an F1 game that will properly simulate the sport.

So it'll get traded in next week, and no more F1 games THIS IS IT

/is cry

PSN: SYS64738_UK

• brseg 27 Nov 2012 22:25:10 679 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @SYS64738 thats a shame. Many of your complains are mirrored by others in the CM forums -- in particular the gap between AI levels. The weather is vastly better after the patch, though. Also, being on the wrong tyre seems to be slightly more forgiving after the patch.

I play on Pro AI and ABS+TC (on pad), and just use quick setups. Although AI are very inconsistent I'm usually fighting in the middle of the pack, and having some good races. Have had only a few podiums. R&D objectives improve your car during the season, so make sure you do those. I'm into season 3, having started in Williams then moved to Sauber (debatable move!) then Mercedes, having beaten my rival. I'm not 100% sure, but I think Williams is a better starting team than Torro Rosso.

I do have some crap quali sessions, but you can take back a lot of places on lap1, so it doesnt matter too much. + On some of the tracks you can cut big chunks out of corners, grabbing some time back. If the game gives me a crap penalty, I just use a rewind... If something goes really bad, just restart the session.

I particularly enjoy AI crashes this year, tho I'd like to see the safety car much more -- you'd think its an obvious 'gamey' element to use but I've only seen *one*.

As an F1 fan, I enjoy the game overall, putting in a race most evenings, but still baffled how they cant get the AI right.

Edited by brseg at 22:44:39 27-11-2012
  • SYS64738 27 Nov 2012 23:17:52 1,661 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I actually started in the Caterham for some extra challenge:) It seemed though that I didn't meet their objectives sufficiently despite meeting most of them, as Toro Rosso was the best team I had on offer for season 2 - was kinda hoping for a Williams.

After my little rant above I just completed Valencia and had a decent race, back to Intermediate again with driving assists on again because I struggled in Montreal with assists off (otherwise it just feels like too much hard work - also playing with a pad here).

It's as if the game is kissing me on the cheek again after bitch-slapping me earlier (Monaco was an absolute nightmare with assists off, I had to switch off damage altogether in order to make it through the first lap, yet on Intermediate I struggled to keep up with the rest and rage-quit in the end after a spin - after that race I was ready to chuck the controller through the telly).

I'll try a few more races over the coming days, and see how it goes while remaining on Intermediate AI, it does feel a bit like cheating but otherwise I will find it too hard to progress and get good team offers for the next season.

• brseg 27 Nov 2012 23:32:12 679 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    yeah, I say chose whatever level + assists give you a good game. With a decent upgraded car + better team you might be ok on Pro. As for moving team, I think beating the rival is a much better target than contract offers, e.g. Schumacher was having a crap season, so I easily took his seat - sucker ;) . This does require scoring decent points though.

My most successful tracks are Valencia, Monza, Abu Dhabi (maybe due to the long straights + heavy braking zones?). You slowly learn the harder tracks, it takes a lot of practise... 2 years ago I didnt know the tracks at all, now I find Singapore, Monaco pretty easy.

Edited by brseg at 23:35:21 27-11-2012
  • shamblemonkee 27 Nov 2012 23:37:41 14,392 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    i traded this months back unfortunately. legend ai is actually seemed well balanced i never tried any of the others but saddening to hear they are so inconsistent and suffer from that most aggravating AI foible of just being too slow in to the corners.

Edited by shamblemonkee at 23:38:03 27-11-2012
  • SYS64738 27 Nov 2012 23:38:44 1,661 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    What system are you playing on btw? Am on the PS3 and the framerate drops in Monte Carlo are giving me a headache; probably has some impact on controller input as well, at least it feels that way. Least enjoyable track for me I have to say (quite like it in other games though).

Despised Valencia in F1 2010 but this time round it's a lot of fun. Oh yeah and Singapore is a pretty fun track once you get to know it!

• SYS64738 27 Nov 2012 23:41:02 1,661 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @shamblemonkee

I'd only play on legend AI if I want to be last in every quali and race;) Did you play with a wheel? If so, would it be easier than playing with a pad?

• brseg 27 Nov 2012 23:41:22 679 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ah, from the CM forums it sounds like the PS3 version still suffers compared to 360, unfortunately (360 here). Monaco was pretty rough in f1 2010, but all tracks are smooth in 2012.

Edited by brseg at 23:45:15 27-11-2012
  • SYS64738 27 Nov 2012 23:50:28 1,661 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Lucky you then:) I think it was the exact opposite on the PS3 between 2012 and 2010 iirc. Sometimes I wonder if I should've kept 2010 instead (I know the answer is no really).

• hypoBla5t 2 Dec 2012 11:24:34 1,412 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hi chaps, bit of a specific question about weather and settings, if anyone can answer I'd be we'll grateful.

At Catalunya it's forecasting dry quali but wet race. If I set up the car for full dry in qualifying, will my settings still be locked for the race if it rains, or can I change them again if it's declared a wet race?

Basically, do I need to qualify with wet settings to not destroy my race?

Cheers.
  • superdelphinus 2 Dec 2012 13:04:59 8,059 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    there's a couple of essential mods for the pc version which sort the AI out substantially
  • YoshiMcTaggis 2 Dec 2012 13:13:47 3,144 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Link?
  • superdelphinus 2 Dec 2012 13:35:00 8,059 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    go to racedepartment and go to the mods page - they're all on there. the ones I was talking about are one that sorts the braking points out, aggression, mechanical failures and sorts the relative driver performance out as well (i.e. so perez and button don't win loads of races and vettel stops struggling to get into the top 10)
  • YoshiMcTaggis 2 Dec 2012 14:19:20 3,144 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Taa

After being punished for clipping a spinning Kimi, I want to lobotomise the steward AI, frankly
  • DUFFKING 6 Aug 2013 14:43:04 7,257 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone got tips for Turn 6 at Australia? Constantly losing time there every lap.
  • D_arkTrooper 6 Aug 2013 14:50:26 1,317 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Any mods which fix the corrupt save file issue on PC? Loaded up the game for the first time in ages on Sunday and my career mode save is gone. Two and a bit seasons lost. I know this has always been an issue with all the F1 games but just wondered if there was a definite fix?

3DS Friend Code : 5000-2484-1471

Animal Crossing alter ego: Andy from Stoke

• shamblemonkee 6 Aug 2013 14:57:28 14,392 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sacrifice entry for exit on to the straight
  • StarchildHypocrethes 6 Aug 2013 15:01:20 25,853 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Turns 13 & 14 (I think) always kill me at Melbourne.
  • DUFFKING 6 Aug 2013 15:28:37 7,257 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @shamblemonkee I'm just not sure where to brake. I usually start just after the left kink, but I find I have to brake loads to hit the Apex and then I'm far slower than the PC. I nailed it once in qualifying which took me to 6th for Q2, but I was back doing 1:29:xx again for Q3. I struggle with the quick left/right as well, I usually come out of the left too quick and oversteer on the right hander.
  • DUFFKING 22 Aug 2013 16:45:12 7,257 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Professional AI: Always 2 seconds faster than me
    One difficulty lower: AI is always 2 seconds slower than me

BORING
  • IJ 23 Aug 2013 12:43:57 830 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I skipped 2012. I'm hoping, given there seems to have been very few changes to the core game, that they've ironed all the game breaking bugs out of 2013. Because when it works, it's brilliant.
  • KingOfSpain 23 Aug 2013 13:20:28 5,187 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My big problem with this version of the game (At least I cant remember having the same issue in previous versions) is that I'm competitive at the start of the race but I get left behind as the race goes on. It's as if the AI find an extra gear after the first round of pit stops. Then again, maybe I just cant increase my pace as my fuel drops. Maybe I get stuck at one pace and struggle to push it.

Anyone else experience anything similar?
  • DUFFKING 23 Aug 2013 13:30:23 7,257 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Are you finding that cars in front pull away but you keep people behind you easily? Because that's my problem. I keep a solid qualifying pace, but in the races all the AI cars are magically faster, but they're piss easy to keep behind you because they suck at overtaking.
  • KingOfSpain 23 Aug 2013 13:42:57 5,187 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah. I have a great opening 4 or 5 laps and manage to take 3 or 4 cars before coming across a car going at the same pace as me. From that point on it's a huge battle to keep my position as the car infront starts to pull away. Slowly at first as I try to keep pace but by almost 3-4 seconds a lap at the end of the race while a train of 5 or 6 cars forms behind me.

At least it's not just me then.
  • DUFFKING 23 Aug 2013 14:53:27 7,257 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep, that's the issue I've had with all of these games. I need a difficulty between Professional and the one below it.
  • KingOfSpain 23 Aug 2013 15:05:54 5,187 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My problem is that Pro is a little too easy at the start of the race but way to hard at the end!
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Next