The Ratchet & Clank Trilogy

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • FuzzyDuck 28 Jun 2012 22:08:03 3,905 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Had a look around and didn't see a thread (which is odd).

Outside of a Clover Studio Collection (well at least we're getting one of their games!), this has been my on the top of my HD Collection wishlist. I've never played the original PS2 titles, with my introduction to the series only happening with A Crack In Time (and absolutely loving it), so i'm not just playing these games in shinyshiny, but i'm also playing them for the first time - and they're just phenomenal.

I'm playing through 2, and i'm watching the missus fight the last boss on 1 as i type, and they're both fantastic looking, to the point where i'd go as far as saying that this collection is probably the best HD set yet.

I'm dumbstruck that i let this series float right past me years ago, and i can safely say that if there's a trilogy that deserves to be replayed (especially with the lick of HD paint that's been applied here), this is it :D
  • kentmonkey 28 Jun 2012 22:22:36 20,448 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    GamesTM consistently gave this series poor scores when they reviewed them. I still don't understand how or why.
  • Darren 29 Jun 2012 12:17:01 8,700 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I got the Ratchet & Clank HD trilogy on Wednesday and although I've only played the first game, I'm impressed by the quality of the "port" as it looks and runs great, the characters are charming and funny and it's ridiculously addictive. I never got the chance to play the PS2 originals as the Xbox had become my new toy around the time the first game was released but I did try the demos courtesy of a magazine cover disc. As such I overlooked a lot of PS2 classics so thank goodness then for these Classic HD collections.

My only gripes are the audio quality (seems a bit compressed and obviously not mastered for 5.1) and the fact that many of the cutscenes display at 4:3 despite looking as they're rendered in-engine (if they're not then they're of a higher quality than I'd expect for 4:3 FMV from old games).

If you've never played a Ratchet & Clank game before then this is a great place to get to know them. IMO, these conversions are far better than the recent Jak & Daxter ports which were sub-HD and lacking any kind of anti-aliasing (which was disappointing).

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Rens11 29 Jun 2012 13:29:47 1,389 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    never played any of them other than the demo's waiting for asda to deliver!

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• DodgyPast 29 Jun 2012 17:44:28 8,415 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rens11 wrote:
    never played any of them other than the demo's waiting for asda to deliver!
    Already into the first one. Enjoying it a lot.
  • GloatingSwine 29 Jun 2012 23:37:24 2,668 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    GamesTM consistently gave this series poor scores when they reviewed them. I still don't understand how or why.
    Gibbering insanity?

Since I picked up a new PS3 after a couple of years of not owning one, the classic PS2 era platformer HD collections are all that has been in it, and the Ratchet & Clank games were my favourite of the lot.
  • billy323 1 Jul 2012 21:06:17 7 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Some users myself included have been disgruntled that the game was advertised as full hd 1080p 60fps but it only loads up as 720p unless you force 1080p but then looks upscalled. also many users are experience graphical and audio glitches. It a shame as this should have been the best hd collection yet
  • DodgyPast 2 Jul 2012 03:26:47 8,415 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    billy323 wrote:
    Some users myself included have been disgruntled that the game was advertised as full hd 1080p 60fps but it only loads up as 720p unless you force 1080p but then looks upscalled. also many users are experience graphical and audio glitches. It a shame as this should have been the best hd collection yet
    Been getting a glitch with the air gauge for swimming remaining half visible but it's not effected my enjoyment too much.
  • FuzzyDuck 2 Jul 2012 16:51:22 3,905 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well i've just sunk near 50(!) hours into part 2, Platinumed it, one or two bugs aside it's a sterling game.

If Skyrim can earn all the plaudits that it did and not even function at times, i don't see how a few niggles can spoil one of the best platform games ever made.
  • Flying_Pig 2 Jul 2012 17:03:22 10,700 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    billy323 wrote:
    ...the game was advertised as full hd 1080p 60fps but it only loads up as 720p ...
    Can't say I'd give a f%$k about this. 60fps - yes, but not 1080 over 720.

I'd love to get these and the Jak and Daxter trilogy, but I've already got enough of a backlog to see me well into 2013, and I'm still holding out some small hope we'll see them on Vita
  • FuzzyDuck 2 Jul 2012 17:13:43 3,905 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    billy323 wrote:
    ...the game was advertised as full hd 1080p 60fps but it only loads up as 720p ...
    Can't say I'd give a f%$k about this. 60fps - yes, but not 1080 over 720.
    Same as. I don't think upping the rez from 720p to 1080p is going to do much for a collection of PS2 games.

It's kinda funny though, the pixel counters can't enjoy games that are pushing a decade old. Time for a new hobby!
  • andywilkie35 2 Jul 2012 17:31:19 5,338 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    About two thirds of the way through the first one, the game is even better than I remember. Probably because it's the same, perfect gameplay but just looks better :)

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Rens11 15 Jul 2012 03:06:11 1,389 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Enjoying the game so far harder than most games that come out now however the clank bits are terrible!

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• FuzzyDuck 16 Jul 2012 22:55:18 3,905 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Indeed, the Clank bits are the low point of the entire series!

They were better in A Crack in Time, but were just totally unnecessary.
  • Rens11 17 Jul 2012 01:27:18 1,389 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Whoever thought it would be a good idea to make Clank run in slow motion ordering robots around should be shot! Please tell me there at least improved in 2 & 3

Edited by Rens11 at 13:55:47 17-07-2012

• Syrette 17 Jul 2012 02:06:58 43,105 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    If Skyrim can earn all the plaudits that it did and not even function at times, i don't see how a few niggles can spoil one of the best platform games ever made.
    Not the fairest comparison (one is a massive open world game, the other a linear platformer)...

• FuzzyDuck 17 Jul 2012 02:48:05 3,905 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    Not the fairest comparison (one is a massive open world game, the other a linear platformer)...
    And one has incredibly minor clipping issues that occur so infrequently that it may as well not exist, the other has (had?) bugs that rendered it literally unplayable, but yet milk is spilt over the former, while the latter is happily tolerated.
  • FuzzyDuck 17 Jul 2012 02:50:12 3,905 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Rens11 wrote:
    Whoever thought it would be a good idea to make run in slow motion ordering robots around should be shot! Please tell me there at least improved in 2 & 3
    I haven't played 1, but the missus informs me that 2 and 3 are an improvement (3's better than 2, but Clank's sections are still the low point of both titles).

Has put me right off the idea of even looking at Secret Agent Clank on the PSP, heh! :D
  • andywilkie35 17 Jul 2012 11:02:55 5,338 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really liked the Clank bits in A Crack in Time, certainly the only time they're enjoyable anyway!

Platinumed 1 the other day and about three hours into 2. I completed them all numerous times back on the PS2 but always impressed by what a step forward 2 is over 1. And to think 3 is an even bigger improvement, madness. Gaming perfection in my eyes.

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• King_Edward 17 Jul 2012 12:42:10 11,454 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Certainly a good advert for not rebooting a series every couple of years.
  • AceGrace 17 Jul 2012 14:25:14 1,035 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    They really are my favourite games, possibly ever. Infinitely playable and collecting all the bolts is tremendous.
  • FuzzyDuck 28 Jul 2012 17:38:09 3,905 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @doctor_fraud

Have you actually played it?

Yeah there's one or two bugs here or there; i encountered 1 across a 50+ hour play of R&C2, not exactly what i'd call a lazy port!

With regards to that video, it certainly doesn't look washed out like that on my TV (and i've a modest 3.5 year old Samsung), but whatever, i'm just having fun enjoying the games.
  • DodgyPast 28 Jul 2012 18:35:28 8,415 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The thing that's really done it for me is the solid framerate.

It's so much more relaxing to play. I really enjoy the controls feeling so fluid.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next