Videogames TV Show pitch - Please help us make good video games telly a reality!

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • JoeGBallad 28 Jun 2012 15:23:08 385 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hi there,

For a couple of years I've been making videos on youtube for my channel Bit Socket. Some of you have seen it, but a lot of you haven't.

Next week I have a meeting/pitch with a major British TV company, with the aim to make a new, enthusiastic, passionate, quality, fun programme about video games. I also happen to work at the TV company, and have done for a few years, so I'm not going into this scenario blind.

The TV company be looking for funding for the programme, and to do that I need to show that there is an audience out there that wants video games to be taken seriously enough by TV to make a good programme. To do that, can I ask you to take 3 minutes out of our day to complete this short survey:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/C87KRBJ

Can you also share it with as many people you know that are into games and want to see video games done well on telly?

I realise the timing of this is odd, seeing as the Explosive Alan guys (formerly Inside Xbox) have just done the amazing feat of raising so much money on Indiegogo for their pilot. I really can't wait to see what they make with the cash, and I donated to the cause because I want to see good video games programmes on television. But, I have been in meetings about my project for a while now, and it's just starting to shift into gear. I believe that we deserve to have our hobby taken seriously, and get a quality programme about our pastime made by people that love it.

Thank you everyone!

- Joe

If you aren't utterly disgusted by me please check out my videogames show at:

www.youtube.com/BitSocket

• Deckard1 28 Jun 2012 15:25:11 28,243 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Will it have Violet Berlin?
  • Blerk Moderator 28 Jun 2012 15:26:15 48,225 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Audience participation!

/shudders
  • megastar 28 Jun 2012 15:30:15 17,192 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd settle for something 60 minutes long, similar format to Gamesmaster i.e: challenges and shit, but loaded with more features and "behind the scenes" stuff!

Reviews are a bit pointless as no doubt the shw would air months after the release!
  • L_Franko Moderator 28 Jun 2012 15:32:29 9,694 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Needs to have Patrick Moore.
  • nickthegun 28 Jun 2012 15:35:35 60,133 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    In a bikini

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Physically_Insane 28 Jun 2012 15:38:51 8,926 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Make it like Gameswipe. I'd watch that each week.
  • quadfather 28 Jun 2012 15:39:15 12,233 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @op done

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• megastar 28 Jun 2012 15:39:45 17,192 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DON'T make it like "Gamezville"

That was fucking dreadful!
  • Blerk Moderator 28 Jun 2012 15:40:43 48,225 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    megastar wrote:
    Reviews are a bit pointless as no doubt the shw would air months after the release!
    Pretty much the only thing that would get me to watch would be a straight 'previews/reviews' show, I don't see why that should be impossible. Visible presenters not required, audience not required, challenges not required. Game footage and voiceover, aimed at reasonably intelligent people instead of the gurning chav crowd - done.

I know everyone remembers Gamesmaster through a bit o' rose-tint, but it really was fucking terrible.
  • Folant 28 Jun 2012 15:41:23 1,241 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    YOYOYO WELCUM 2 GAMZVIL DA HOME 2 HRDKOR GAMIN INNIT

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• Deckard1 28 Jun 2012 15:43:19 28,243 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Games shows peaked with Big Boy Barry. They've been on a downward spiral ever since.
  • L_Franko Moderator 28 Jun 2012 15:48:33 9,694 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't think there can be a tv show about gaming that wouldn't make me feel embarrassed to watch if I'm honest.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 28 Jun 2012 15:51:38 38,338 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    I know everyone remembers Gamesmaster through a bit o' rose-tint, but it really was fucking terrible.
    YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH! :(

I still have the final episode on DVD. It was bloody funny.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• shamblemonkee 28 Jun 2012 15:53:49 14,431 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    hope it goes well Joe.

I'd like a show similar to what you do on bit socket, but also with a dash of giantbomb or total biscuit.

basically a show that doesn't seem ot be embarassed that it's about games of treat it as if games are only for children

probably unlikely ot ge tthat sor tof thing funded but if it was basically the internet on tv - i.e a weekly blog / quick look / review format i'd watch.
  • JoeGBallad 28 Jun 2012 15:57:19 385 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thank you for all the responses folks :) They're all very helpful, and I'll keep everything in mind when I goto these meetings next week.

• shamblemonkee 28 Jun 2012 15:57:40 14,431 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    have now completed the survey.

audience participation. no thankyou. i've never really seen it done in a way that didn't seem a bit cringey.

scheduling - yes pub kicking out time on fri / sat is perfect - this was aobut the one thing BITs got right.

weekly indie game high score challenge!

good luck!

Edited by shamblemonkee at 15:58:37 28-06-2012
  • mrpon 28 Jun 2012 15:59:02 28,984 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Will there be subtitles?

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• PearOfAnguish 28 Jun 2012 16:04:47 7,319 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just give the money to Rab and Ryan from Consolevania/videoGaiden and tell them to do another series. The chances of anyone making a better videogames show are slim.
  • robthehermit 28 Jun 2012 16:29:13 4,089 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Explode a Wii every episode in a variety of interesting ways Top Gear style. And have naked women draped about the set.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Blotto 28 Jun 2012 16:59:43 2,776 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You know what, a games show in the style of Top Gear could actually work... I'm genuinely serious.

/hides
  • Ziz0u 28 Jun 2012 17:04:08 8,392 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cybernet
  • von_Doll 28 Jun 2012 17:07:46 2,107 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    Just give the money to Rab and Ryan from Consolevania/videoGaiden and tell them to do another series. The chances of anyone making a better videogames show are slim.
    I really like the Bit Socket stuff, but unless you're looking to shake up the format, I'm definitely getting an art, imitating life, imitating art vibe off the idea.

Cybernet on ITV was worth staying up for.
  • JoeGBallad 28 Jun 2012 17:07:54 385 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Blotto I think so too. It's a good format, let down by presenters who have lost themselves in their own sense of self-importance. If you took away the questionable politics and posturing, it'd be a truly great show.

• von_Doll 28 Jun 2012 17:08:55 2,107 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm also one of the four people who liked Bits.

And I'm not Emily Booth.
  • Blotto 28 Jun 2012 17:14:00 2,776 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think features would be essential really, behind the scenes stuff. As has been said, I can get a far more in depth review/preview online.

The more I think about, the more I think it could actually work. Just needs to be as modern and adult as possible.
  • Lukey__b 28 Jun 2012 17:16:00 3,716 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    What was that games programme, might have been on Sky1 that didn't have presenters or if it did they were relatively low key, it was more reporter based? It was pretty much just reviews, previews and news. That was actually pretty good and the best games programme I can remember. No audience, games challenges etc. just straight up information.

I used to watch Gamezville and that was pretty embarrassing. It was mostly to laugh at with my brother. The Games Guru was quite funny at times though when he used to rip into some of the viewers questions. We saw one of the presenters modelling in some catalogue and a friend wrote in with a picture taking the piss and I'm sure they read it out on the show :)

'Sup, what's guanine?

• Folant 28 Jun 2012 17:16:18 1,241 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    (psst, means no sexual content. Or mindless violence.)

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• bad09 28 Jun 2012 17:18:25 5,954 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    L_Franko wrote:
    I don't think there can be a tv show about gaming that wouldn't make me feel embarrassed to watch if I'm honest.
    The only one that never made me cringe was Gamesnight when it first aired on that awful X-League channel, serious adult debate on the gaming issues of that week with a panel of industry bods. Shame they changed it to purely a review show then it got canned :(
  • Mayhem64 28 Jun 2012 17:18:41 670 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Survey completed :)

DDevil wrote:
    Blerk wrote:
    YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH! :(

I still have the final episode on DVD. It was bloody funny.
    I still have a golden joystick here sitting on the shelf. Guess I was lucky to hold onto it after filming. Yes, you read that right... from what I later heard, the joystick was usually only for filming purposes, the winners didn't actually get to keep them. Guess they forgot to ask for mine back, probably because I was the last section filmed that day and everyone wanted to go home.

Lie with passion and be forever damned...

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous