Photo editing software for mac - recommendations?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • boo 28 Jun 2012 10:32:23 11,706 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I use iPhoto at the moment, though I may look to switch to either Aperture or Lightoom at some point in the future.

If I want some photo manipulation software, what's the best for relatively simple stuff? Cropping, red-eye reduction, lightening stuff and so on.

I suppose Photoshop Elements 10 is the obvious, and at about 55, the price is ok.

Anything else I ought to consider?

Cheers.

Just Another Lego Blog

• kalel 28 Jun 2012 10:35:51 86,420 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    For simple stuff iphoto is best. The others are for more complicated things.
  • nickthegun 28 Jun 2012 10:38:16 58,897 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The usual path is iPhoto->Pirated Photoshop

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Fab4 28 Jun 2012 10:42:30 5,980 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pixelmator is pretty nice, and fairly easy to use.

http://www.pixelmator.com/

Edit: I should add its only 10.50 from the UK app store atm.

Edited by Fab4 at 10:48:17 28-06-2012
  • kalel 28 Jun 2012 10:50:11 86,420 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Surely the question has to be about why you don't want to use iphoto? In what way is it limiting you?

All these things are for slightly different purposes. Lightroom (and I think Aperture) are more about Raw processing and organising, whereas PS is really more about hardcore processing and manipulation.

Elements is a very stripped down version of PS and is basically the same as iphoto to a large extent, although less intuitive.
  • boo 28 Jun 2012 13:39:38 11,706 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ah! Ok, thanks Kal, I'll have a look. Was trying to do some stuff last night, and it seemed that you have to export a photo out of iPhoto, do some (basic) resizing etc in Preview, and then import the new version back, which seems like a lot of jumping though hoops.

Time to RTFM!

Cheers Fab - looks like a couple of people over at MacRumours rate Pixelmator too. Will take a look.

Just Another Lego Blog

• kalel 28 Jun 2012 14:26:37 86,420 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmm, my only experience of iphoto is on my work computer which I rarely use for photo stuff, but I'm fairly sure all I ever do is import straight into iphoto, click the big "edit" button at the bottom, and I'm off. I've never used Preview at all I don't think.
  • Tonka 28 Jun 2012 15:17:46 20,025 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What sort of resizing stuff were you doing? I use iPhoto quite a bit and fou d that it does most of the stuff I like. I'm too crap at retouching etc to need anything but what iPhoto offers.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Tonka 28 Jun 2012 15:18:48 20,025 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They have fairly good video tutorials on apple.com btw. Otherwise youtube is your friend.

• boo 28 Jun 2012 16:17:08 11,706 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm going to a family reunion soon, and I've been out in charge of knocking up a family tree. So loads of people have mailed me photos of themselves, and I'm trying to get a mixed bag of stuff to all come out at broadly the same size.

What I've ended up doing is printing on regular photo paper, but selecting 2 x 3 where the image is too large. It wastes a load of paper, but time is pressing.

What I wanted to be able to do was just grab a crop from the image, resize it to about the right size and then print. Trouble is, I've never been able to figure out the relationship between what you see on the screen and what actually prints. Plenty of times I think I've shrunk the image, hit print and it comes out the same size.

The other thing is, as far as I can tell, any changes you make to an iPhoto image is destructive, so if I want to resize it, I have to save a second copy. I've had all sorts of problems with that in the past, particularly if a photo is in one event and I want it in a second event.

For example, photo is in event A. I duplicate it, and now have two copies in event A. I drag one to event B, and the original comes too!

As you say, a bit of time with the tutorals would be time well spent.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Deleted user 28 June 2012 16:25:39
    I use photoshop elements. its pretty simple but does all the essential things i need - resizing, making little adjustments to brightness etc, or touching up dust marks etc. I do shoot in RAW so the software i got with my camera/scanner i can use to do the major editing if i over exposed an image.

I have tried both Aperture, and Lightroom, both are very good, found lightroom slightly better.
  • Tonka 28 Jun 2012 18:25:53 20,025 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @boo iPhoto might not be the best sw for the job but it's doable. I know that the latest version isn't destructive. You can reset to original.

As for resizing it's a bit of a pain. You need to know what dpi you print at and then do some math.

Let's say you print at 300dpi and the size of the prints are 2x3"
    Then you can crop to 600x900 pixels without causing blurriness.

I think you can set the crop manually in iPhoto. So set it to whatever your dpi times the paper size comes out at and see how big of an area that will cover. Depending on the resolution of the image this might vary from image to image.

You can make the crop bigger safely but smaller and it will blur. Just keep the ratio at 2x3 ( that is something you can easily do in iPhoto.)

• Tonka 28 Jun 2012 18:29:27 20,025 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @boo http://support.apple.com/videos/#iphoto

• Deleted user 28 June 2012 18:32:53
    Kill iPhoto with fire!! Hateful software is hateful.
  • superdelphinus 28 Jun 2012 18:41:36 8,035 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have Lightroom 4 and photoshop cs6. I use Lightroom ALL the time, photoshop very very rarely
  • boo 17 Apr 2013 07:27:26 11,706 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Indeed! I found Gimp recently, via my Lego hobby.
    Good introductory tutorial here.

Just Another Lego Blog

• TarickStonefire 9 May 2013 07:30:06 2,905 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Pixelmator. Not free, but for the money it's absolutely excellent.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• EMarkM 9 May 2013 08:03:27 3,173 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I use Aperture, Elements, Noise Ninja and Photomatic Pro (for HDR stuff).

Main tool is Aperture. Only use Elements for the Noise Ninja plugin and for when working on other people's (non RAW) images.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next