Google Nexus Page 34

• Page

of 52 First / Last

• eleven63 8 Feb 2013 21:05:13 1,599 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @gman7714 just do it, best gadget purchase ever, for me, so far! Thing about the size is that it makes it very transportable, hooked upto the keyboard we all seem to have bought, you can probably fit it inside a winter coat pocket, or a small man bag, no need for an annoying fucking rucksack!

Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

• Short-Round 8 Feb 2013 21:27:37 1,181 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I really want to buy one now, but online rumours are that the new 7 is out around May, with a nicer screen. Bastardos!!
  • Salaman 9 Feb 2013 00:24:15 18,854 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just bought a google nexus4 earlier today. Any tips. I will be iff to google for just that in a moment but I thought I'd check here as well.
  • crashVoodoo 9 Feb 2013 12:54:02 3,850 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Just bought a google nexus4 earlier today. Any tips. I will be iff to google for just that in a moment but I thought I'd check here as well.
    I did this a few days after using it. It was either that or go insane

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• gman7714 9 Feb 2013 18:10:44 281 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just started playing with my new Nexus 7. Got loads to do to set it up.
    Will read through this thread thoroughly later. Any top tips where to start?
    Have many of you guys rooted yours?
  • Steve_Perry 9 Feb 2013 20:39:09 3,518 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Not rooted mine. Don't have a need to. Its pretty bare android. Better than the horrible HTC sense UI on my phone

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Iain815 9 Feb 2013 21:13:33 403 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Steve_Perry wrote:
    Not rooted mine. Don't have a need to. Its pretty bare android. Better than the horrible HTC sense UI on my phone
    I absolutely regret getting a HTC Sensation over a GS2. It may look pretty, but christ does my phone run like a slow piece of shit. It takes ages to open apps and nearly 3 seconds to recognise my "Answer Call" swipe. I want to root it and use another ROM but the guide for it is complicated as fuck.
  • Steve_Perry 9 Feb 2013 21:26:01 3,518 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I would love to root my one S but I can't be bothered. Recently upgraded to the newest sense and its even worse. Stupid battery management and keyboard icons, bloatware. They managed to make it worse not better.

Love the simplicity of using android on nexus.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• theguy 9 Feb 2013 21:33:38 652 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Iain815 wrote:
    Steve_Perry wrote:
    I absolutely regret getting a HTC Sensation over a GS2. It may look pretty, but christ does my phone run like a slow piece of shit. It takes ages to open apps and nearly 3 seconds to recognise my "Answer Call" swipe.
    I want to root it and use another ROM but the guide for it is complicated as fuck.

Would this help:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1192300
    ?
    Surely you could ask there if you get stuck
  • Iain815 9 Feb 2013 21:52:18 403 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, the guide itself doesn't look as bad as I remember. The guides installing ROMS however are a bit vague.

Fuck it, I'll give it a go!
  • L0cky 9 Feb 2013 22:03:30 1,498 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I did find the guides a bit daunting. There's some circular references and catch 22's; and a lot of assumed knowledge.

They would do well with an introduction to define the terms; and explanations of what things are for, not just how to apply them; so you can think through it logically, and figure out what is optional and what isn't.

I got there in the end, and when you're done you realise how simple it actually is; it's the guides that make it seem like a complicated process.

Can't really complain though, they're only trying to help.

Edit: Just to back that up, here's the first sentence of one of the guides:

xdadevelopers wrote:
    If you would like to S-OFF, Install ClockWork Recovery, permanently Root & obtain SuperCID. Follow Steps 1 to 4!
    If you've never entered the world of Android rooting before that puts you right off. Wtf does any of that mean, and why do you even need to care?

If I find time, maybe I'll try to write a guide instead of just complaining about it :)

Edited by L0cky at 22:07:24 09-02-2013
  • crashVoodoo 9 Feb 2013 22:05:42 3,850 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Iain815 wrote:
    Yeah, the guide itself doesn't look as bad as I remember. The guides installing ROMS however are a bit vague.

Fuck it, I'll give it a go!
    Isn't it mostly a case of backup, root, ROM manager, select rom, reboot, done ?

• Iain815 9 Feb 2013 22:13:25 403 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, I haven't even started and I've already hit a brick wall, my HBOOT is 1.27 and Revolutionary doesn't support that. So I have to use an alternative program and it requires a lot of shit to be done before.

Ugghh, I'm not sure I can be arsed.

Edit: To show you what is needed apparently:

Be unlocked using the HTCdev bootloader unlock
    Be rooted (have superuser and/or an unsecured boot image installed)
    Have a spare microSD card, or to have backed up all contents of your SDcard, the card will be wiped
    Have fastboot and adb drivers installed and working (windows)
    Have usb debugging enabled
    Have a legth of insulated wire of sufficient length to join the contact points for your device.

Seriously, fuck that, especially that last bit. I think I'll just settle for a factory reset. I don't need half the apps on my phone now because of my Nexus 7 anyway.

Edited by Iain815 at 22:16:57 09-02-2013
  • crashVoodoo 9 Feb 2013 22:34:31 3,850 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Iain815 wrote:
    Yeah, I haven't even started and I've already hit a brick wall, my HBOOT is 1.27 and Revolutionary doesn't support that. So I have to use an alternative program and it requires a lot of shit to be done before.

Ugghh, I'm not sure I can be arsed.

Edit: To show you what is needed apparently:

Be unlocked using the HTCdev bootloader unlock
    Be rooted (have superuser and/or an unsecured boot image installed)
    Have a spare microSD card, or to have backed up all contents of your SDcard, the card will be wiped
    Have fastboot and adb drivers installed and working (windows)
    Have usb debugging enabled
    Have a legth of insulated wire of sufficient length to join the contact points for your device.

Seriously, fuck that, especially that last bit. I think I'll just settle for a factory reset. I don't need half the apps on my phone now because of my Nexus 7 anyway.
    Ahh I remember the fucking voodoo I had to run through with my old desire z.

• Trowel 9 Feb 2013 22:46:09 17,425 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Have spent a fair bit of time today editing photos on a Micro SD card via an OTG cable on my Nexus 10, only possible with root (unrooted allows read-only access I believe).

Late advice, but with any Android device I now root on day 1 before anything is installed. Plenty of one-click rooting solutions out there these days, just browse XDA.
  • Tonka 11 Feb 2013 10:47:01 20,010 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What I really really want is something along the lines of AppleTV.

A dumb player that I control using my phone. Given that there are excellent media players and bitTorrent clients for Android it would be a killer.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• bauhaus 11 Feb 2013 11:21:36 3,511 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:

A dumb player that I control using my phone. Given that there are excellent media players and bitTorrent clients for Android it would be a killer.
    I just got one of these http://www.cloudsto.com/new-mk802iiis.html
    (found mine on ebay for 45)

Loving my nexus 10, but prefer the above strapped to my telly on a fulltime basis.
  • Tonka 11 Feb 2013 11:36:30 20,010 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @bauhaus That looks rather good. How do you control it?

• Globbits 11 Feb 2013 12:15:38 47 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    bauhaus wrote:
    Tonka wrote:

I just got one of these http://www.cloudsto.com/new-mk802iiis.html
    (found mine on ebay for 45)

Loving my nexus 10, but prefer the above strapped to my telly on a fulltime basis.
    Quite tempted by one of these. Have you had any issues with the wifi signal as yet? Get the impression from reviews that it can be a problem
  • bauhaus 11 Feb 2013 15:07:57 3,511 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    @bauhaus That looks rather good. How do you control it?
    To start with, I plugged a mouse into it.

Now, I use a bluetooth keyboard with mouse pad on it, and/or my Nexus 10 - some software which allows you to use the nexus as a touch screen.

I gotta say, its incredibly impressive on a 40" LED.

Wifi seems ok, but its only a couple of feet from my Router - its not fast. Bought a USB to network adapter (1000mb) for 13 on ebay, get 10/100 ones for about 3.

Still not had time to fully set it up, but its looking like it will replace my WesternDigital LiveTV box - which I love, btw, but its simply not as good as an Android device
  • bauhaus 11 Feb 2013 15:12:17 3,511 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh, Rikomagic do another device called an A10, this looks even better than the 802 IIIs, although its a bit more expensive.

http://www.cloudsto.com/android-mini-pc-s.html
  • Stranded87 11 Feb 2013 18:11:26 849 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The rikomagic looks well tempting, but I am quite concerned about Wi-Fi signal, loads of people on their forums find it's barely usable.

Edited by Stranded87 at 18:29:49 11-02-2013
  • bauhaus 11 Feb 2013 18:51:28 3,511 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Stranded87 Mines stable, its just slow is all.

Either way, the USB network adaptor will sort it.

The A10 has built in ethernet, which I would have got had I known about it at the time.
  • Maturin 11 Feb 2013 19:38:28 2,889 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've just ordered an MK808. Seems to have got good reviews on Amazon. Well as good as these things get.
  • Globbits 11 Feb 2013 20:12:11 47 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've taken a punt on one of these as it seemed to review well (from the few reviews I could find anyway)

RK3066 Android Mini PC

I'll feed back whether it's any good once/if(!) it turns up
  • DrStrangelove 11 Feb 2013 21:34:28 3,365 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My friends' mum is looking for an iPad and I might sell her mine. If I sell it, I'm going to buy the Nexus 7. I'm a bit afraid a successor will come in the next few months, but then... what the heck. Seems to be awesome as is, and a steal for that money.
  • dsmx 11 Feb 2013 22:14:03 7,554 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well I can't see why I would need anything bigger or more powerful than the nexus 7 ever as a tablet. I got it simply to look up emails, browse the web when in bed, play the odd game and watch the odd video, what else do you need from a tablet?

As tablets go it pretty much covers exactly what people need from a tablet and does it for less than 200.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Short-Round 12 Feb 2013 01:10:48 1,181 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    My friends' mum is looking for an iPad and I might sell her mine. If I sell it, I'm going to buy the Nexus 7. I'm a bit afraid a successor will come in the next few months, but then... what the heck. Seems to be awesome as is, and a steal for that money.
    It's the only reason I haven't bought one yet. The replacement 7 is rumoured to be out around May/June, with a nicer hi-def screen (I want it mainly for media, so screen quality is a deal breaker for me). Can't wait, and apparently it'll hit the 200 price point again.
  • DrStrangelove 12 Feb 2013 02:50:16 3,365 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Short-Round

I know what you mean, that gorgeous display was also the main reason I fell in love with the iPad 3 almost a year ago. But 1280x800 is pretty sharp too on a 7" screen: it has 216 ppi vs. the iPad Mini's 163, or even the iPad 2's 132, just to put things in relation. But yes, it certainly makes a difference even on a seven-incher if you watch a film in 720p or 1080p.

I don't watch films on my tablet, I use it almost exclusively for browsing, so that may be why I'll have no great problem with that resolution. There is that one thing, battery life. I always thought, the sharper the better, but resolution is really a huge battery killer. I have a 4.3" phone with 1280x720, I like just how sharp it is, but today I feel it's just a bit overkill and I wish I could have a bit less resolution in exchange for better stamina. It has come to the point where I can't spot pixels anymore even with my eye directly on the display, and after some reflecting I came to the conclusion that I don't really need it to be that much.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 02:51:51 12-02-2013
  • Tonka 12 Feb 2013 05:54:24 20,010 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Salaman airDroid and ES file browser.

Press for RSS

Yeah, that about sums it up. Pocket is very nice too. Especially on android with the smooth odds integration for adding stuff

And uTorrent of you swing that way.

• Page

of 52 First / Last