Google Nexus Page 28

• Page

of 51 First / Last

• Short-Round 13 Jan 2013 15:30:43 1,108 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cheers, I was hoping there would be equivalents of something like VLC.
  • crashVoodoo 13 Jan 2013 15:49:10 3,821 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Short-Round wrote:
    There is VLC

I prefer Dice player though as it also streams straight from the network shares on my NAS

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• CharlieStCloud 13 Jan 2013 16:30:00 4,660 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Still love the Nexus 7 as much as I did on day one, even as a iPad owner too.

I'd like to see the 'next one' being a little bit thinner ... less than 10mm please and maybe shrink the bezel a fair bit too seeing as the iPad mini has a bigger screen and the height is virtually the same, which makes the Nexus 7 taller than it needs to be.

The screen resolution is perfectly fine, I don't miss having a camera on the back (cameras on a tablet is daft anyway), although improve the front facing camera to that of what the Nexus 10 has, stick the new Tegra 4 processor inside and, most importantly, keep the same very attractive price point.

: )
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 13 Jan 2013 16:33:51 36,265 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My only complaint is the lock button is directly above the volume up button. I keep hitting it by mistake!

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• crispyduckman 13 Jan 2013 16:35:15 1,846 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Short-Round I guarantee any recent high end and probably mid range Androids will play more media types than the Vita. I'd be surprised if the Vita can play 1080 mkvs with subtitles, for example.

PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: crispyduckman

• CharlieStCloud 13 Jan 2013 16:48:03 4,660 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    My only complaint is the lock button is directly above the volume up button. I keep hitting it by mistake!
    Maybe leave an extra 10mm gap between the power and volume up/down button ... or alternatively, place the power button on the top just like the Nexus 10 and iPad does!

As good as Google's first effort is, the 'next one' could be something quite special if they play their cards right.

Oh, does anyone on here have a Nexus 10 by the way?
  • mrpon 13 Jan 2013 16:57:14 27,638 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A built in stand would be nice, only ever seen one on the Archos 7 devices. Seems a no brainer for a simple strip of plastic.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Short-Round 13 Jan 2013 17:03:51 1,108 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    crispyduckman wrote:
    @Short-Round I guarantee any recent high end and probably mid range Androids will play more media types than the Vita. I'd be surprised if the Vita can play 1080 mkvs with subtitles, for example.
    Yeah, I was kind of expecting codec support on the Vita would be pants, as it was on the iPod Touch I had. However, I'm an image quality pervert, and from what I've read the contrast isn't so good on the N7 (washed out contrast), which is a deal breaker for me. Any news or date for the next N7?

And I'm loathe to pay Sony's price gouging memory card prices, on principal.
  • CharlieStCloud 13 Jan 2013 17:10:04 4,660 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Short-Round wrote:
    Any news or date for the next N7?
    Seeing as the Nexus 7 was first available in mid-to-late July last year, I reckon the 'next one' may well be released there and then, again.
  • Short-Round 13 Jan 2013 17:20:01 1,108 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ah, may have to consider the Vita in the interim then. Would have considered the iPad mini, as I still have all my ios content bought when I had the Touch, but I hear that has a poor screen as well.
  • Psychotext 13 Jan 2013 17:42:22 52,768 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I doubt there's a replacement coming any time soon. They still can't keep the existing ones in stock for any reasonable length of time.
  • Scurrminator Moderator 13 Jan 2013 18:03:26 8,284 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My father in law asked me a question about see today so hoping someone can help?
    If he has one and takes it to the states will he still be able to use a map, say google maps, app and have it work using GPS woot a data connection? So a wifi only model and not connected. Or is the GPS only in the 3G models (like the ipad)?

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Steve_Perry 13 Jan 2013 18:06:13 2,437 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    You can yes. You have to download the maps to your device using google maps, then they will work offline, providing GPS is activated.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Scurrminator Moderator 13 Jan 2013 18:07:30 8,284 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Awesome. Thanks!

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Short-Round 13 Jan 2013 18:33:42 1,108 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    I doubt there's a replacement coming any time soon. They still can't keep the existing ones in stock for any reasonable length of time.
    Good point. Only place I can find it is Currys, who I'd rather avoid.
  • Tonka 14 Jan 2013 09:20:40 19,839 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    Short-Round wrote:
    There is VLC

I prefer Dice player though as it also streams straight from the network shares on my NAS
    Another vote for Dice. Someone on here recommended it and it's brilliant. I paid good money for apps on my iPad that were laughable compared to the Dice player.

Add the ability to add stuff to the device using AirDroid or ESFileBrowser.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Psychotext 14 Jan 2013 21:10:31 52,768 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I gave up on trying to order from google. Tossers.
  • BurnoutJunkie 14 Jan 2013 21:34:30 602 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I read somewhere that you can only connect a PS3 controller to a Nexus 7/10 if it's rooted. Is this still true?

If so, has anyone here rooted a Nexus and is it very difficult to do so? I'd like to enjoy some emulators on it. For anyone that does use it for this purpose, do games look okay, or terrible like playing on LCD TVs these days?

Thanks.
  • richardiox 14 Jan 2013 22:05:34 5,413 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You only need to root to use your Dualshock wirelessly. If you connect through a USB OTG cable, which is what I do, there's no need.

SNES games look fine to be fair.
  • steve242526 18 Jan 2013 21:27:32 132 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    At the risk of repeating myself on this thread, I've still got to say I'm finding the Nexus a great device. Would have thought that the novelty would have worn off after 3 months but nope. I seem to be using it mostly for comics/magazines and films and probably not as much on the games front. General browsing is still fast and great to use. And I still think it's the perfect size!
  • dsmx 18 Jan 2013 23:21:40 7,408 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Indeed it is nexus 7 is absoutely perfect for pretty much everything you need a tablet to do, still don't understand why people buy the ipad mini which costs more and is worse in every way.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Deleted user 18 January 2013 23:52:10
    Apps, not that hard to understand.
  • mikew1985 19 Jan 2013 00:18:19 12,039 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Advantages to both really. Depends which os ecosystem you've bought into IMO.
  • Pinky_Floyd 19 Jan 2013 00:53:17 6,419 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    dsmx wrote:
    Indeed it is nexus 7 is absoutely perfect for pretty much everything you need a tablet to do, still don't understand why people buy the ipad mini which costs more and is worse in every way.
    Its pure class. I use it more and more each day. Freedom from the apple way of doing things is incredibly liberating even if they do have a slighly better app/game selection, although that would entirely depend on the individual and what they use it for. Having moved over from apple I don't feel hobbled in the slightest by app choice.

Google music is the most awesome thing ever. I want to marry it and have its babies.

Edited by Pinky_Floyd at 00:53:34 19-01-2013
  • Steve_Perry 19 Jan 2013 10:29:13 2,437 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    You can buy literally hundreds of apps with the cash saved from the difference. And they'll look better on the superior screen :-)

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Stranded87 19 Jan 2013 16:28:50 767 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't even get the apps argument with iPad- for certain specific things, sure iPad has more/better apps, but for the most part I'd actually give the edge to android for apps (as opposed to games).

Games are really the only thing iOS has over Android imo. Though the build quality of Apple devices is also far and away better than most android stuff.
  • rtk79 19 Jan 2013 18:18:06 481 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    dsmx wrote:

Google music is the most awesome thing ever. I want to marry it and have its babies.
    What's the music management/conversion tool like ?
    Does it like lossless formats ?
  • jagg3r 20 Jan 2013 08:33:00 993 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What kinda battery life is everyone getting? I think mine is a bit wanked, using the internet drains about 20℅ or more per hr, brightness turned practically off. I also lose about 3℅ when its been in sleep mode for a few hrs with WiFi turned off.
  • Mr-Brett 20 Jan 2013 10:29:57 12,676 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Stranded87 wrote:
    I don't even get the apps argument with iPad- for certain specific things, sure iPad has more/better apps, but for the most part I'd actually give the edge to android for apps (as opposed to games).

Games are really the only thing iOS has over Android imo. Though the build quality of Apple devices is also far and away better than most android stuff.
    The apps that are worth having almost always make their way to android eventually but iOS does have the advantage of often being the default. It's not enough to make a hardware decision on anymore though, hasn't been for at least a year.

Portable view - Never forget.

• Steve_Perry 20 Jan 2013 10:44:45 2,437 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Battery is fine for me jagger. Lasts ages even with WiFi and the screen on full.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Page

of 51 First / Last