Google Nexus Page 22

• Page

of 54 First / Last

• mrpon 18 Dec 2012 22:46:22 29,206 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Try Zinio pinky, great mag reader.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Pinky_Floyd 18 Dec 2012 23:23:07 8,048 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Try Zinio pinky, great mag reader.
    Does it come in a box? Might be too complicated for me if it does.....
  • crashVoodoo 18 Dec 2012 23:32:54 3,965 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Hey crash, have you installed SABDroidE?
    Nah. The web version works perfectly for what I need. Especially the mobile one (just put /m/ on the end) formatted perfectly for the phone.

Not technically the newsgroups thread but if you sign up to a site like dyndns.org and do some forwarding on your router you can access the sab and sickbeard combo remotely

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• crashVoodoo 18 Dec 2012 23:34:25 3,965 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Thanks for the app advice.

/posted from my nexus 7 32gb

It appears I got Ice Age HD movie for free, I don't remember buying it on my android phone.

Seem to have a choice of 3 magazines and 2 books also.
    Yeah I got ice age too. US users and UK early adopters got transformers dark side of moon. Dont see my mags and books though. How did you get those?

• Pinky_Floyd 19 Dec 2012 00:15:10 8,048 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Thanks for the app advice.

/posted from my nexus 7 32gb

It appears I got Ice Age HD movie for free, I don't remember buying it on my android phone.

Seem to have a choice of 3 magazines and 2 books also.
    Yeah I got ice age too. US users and UK early adopters got transformers dark side of moon. Dont see my mags and books though. How did you get those?
    They were just there on the home page when I switched on and updated.
  • Pinky_Floyd 24 Dec 2012 11:38:58 8,048 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tomorrow is Nexus Day :D
  • crashVoodoo 24 Dec 2012 13:37:00 3,965 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Oh yeah ... ive powered it up made sure it was working no dead pixels etc and then she wrapped it.

It might get some hammer tomorrow at the inlaws.

Edited by crashVoodoo at 13:39:19 24-12-2012

• Pinky_Floyd 24 Dec 2012 14:17:15 8,048 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Oh yeah ... ive powered it up made sure it was working no dead pixels etc and then she wrapped it.

It might get some hammer tomorrow at the inlaws.
    Snap. Updated, charged and a few choice apps installed. Also making sure the in laws know their wi fi password ;)
  • MrSensible 24 Dec 2012 17:51:45 25,237 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That reminds me... I'll need to get the wifi password from the in laws I'll be with as well, for the very same thing :D
  • b0rk 25 Dec 2012 16:54:43 2,916 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nexus 7 updated and connected to WiFi! On this superhub crap that's a real achievement. :-)

Really impressed with it so far.
  • jagg3r 25 Dec 2012 17:54:23 1,040 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is it worth rooting just for my ps3 pad to be wireless? Any other advantages?
  • MrSensible 26 Dec 2012 14:22:04 25,237 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Loving my new Nexus 7, great stuff! I'm addicted to just messing around on it already... but, having said that, I have no idea what I'm doing with certain things.

1. How do I actually close an app? Most of them don't seem to close down and I don't really want them running in the background when it's not needed.

2. Does the Play store do audio books? A book I was looking for is supposed to be better in audio format, but the Play store didn't seem to have it. I then checked on Amazon through the Kindle app and they had it there, but it says it is only compatible with the iPad for some bizarre reason.

EDIT: I've also found the book on the Audible app, which WILL play on the Nexus, but their prices seem quite high o_O

3. What is a good app for reading .odt documents? I want to be able to dump some of them in my Google Drive and access them from the tablet while I'm sat on the couch like a lazy bastard.

I think I had more questions but they're the most burning ones for now.

Edited by thefilthandthefury at 16:12:40 26-12-2012
  • Iain815 26 Dec 2012 14:44:36 414 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nexus 7 is awesome. Insanely fast and beautifully smooth. Just shows what a massive, slow piece of shit my HTC Sensation is.

@thefilthandthefury I think to close an app you press the app manager thingy (third button on the bottom, which shows a list of your recently used apps) and you can swipe away the ones you want to close. Or you can keep pressing 'back' when you're in the app until it eventually closes.

Edited by Iain815 at 14:45:40 26-12-2012
  • MrSensible 26 Dec 2012 14:46:28 25,237 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah, thanks! I did that app manager thing but wasn't sure if it was actually closing them or not. I haven't noticed the device slowing down or anything yet mind, so it's more just for future reference. Thanks!
  • L0cky 26 Dec 2012 20:27:02 1,540 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    When you navigate away from an app on Android its state is paused and it's no longer running, you don't need to close apps manually. The os will manage the lifetime of app state automatically.

The only exception are services which you should see in the notifications menu and will usually have an option in the app itself to logout/exit/stop. Skype and Spotify are examples of this.

Try never closing an app and after a few days you'll see there are no adverse affects or reason to think about it in the same way you would on a PC or Mac.

Closing an app on the "app manager" is just managing the list so it is easier to navigate to switch between recent apps.
  • Tonka 26 Dec 2012 21:39:54 20,825 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is there a way to organise apps any other way than alphabetically ?

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• richardiox 26 Dec 2012 22:31:13 5,640 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    You can just drag and drop them in any order you want. Press, hold, drag, release.
  • crashVoodoo 26 Dec 2012 22:52:27 3,965 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    Tonka wrote:
    You can just drag and drop them in any order you want. Press, hold, drag, release.
    Although this is only on the launcher pages. You cant rearrange them in the app drawer.

I cant stop playing with my nexus. It pisses all over the xoom I used to have in speed but mainly because of the form factor.

Its brilliant to hold especially since the bezel is bigger than my phone. I also like there are improvements in apps. The Google+ app looks great already but having double wide posts just seems more natural.

Ive got a poetic case on mine. I think it looks the bollocks tbh. inside

I got a cheap capacitive stylus. It works a treat on world of too and where's my water. Finally, the multiuser support seems to be really good. I've logged my partner in as well and she likes it too. Finally I think she's coming round to android and parting ways from the blackberry.

Edited by crashVoodoo at 23:09:52 26-12-2012

• richardiox 26 Dec 2012 22:57:48 5,640 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    People use the App drawer? Everything I need is on the launcher dash - either with its own icon or in neat folders (games etc).
  • Razz 26 Dec 2012 23:26:08 61,400 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've seen a couple of custom launchers that allow you to reorganise the app drawer. It is not possible with the stock launcher.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• L0cky 27 Dec 2012 01:04:58 1,540 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I use the app drawer for switching between a webpage and an app. Can't think of a faster way. Its like alt tab in windows.

Got some capacitive gloves for chrimbo, really useful!
  • gareth886 27 Dec 2012 05:35:50 2,841 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got the Nexus7 for Christmas. Absolutely love it. Its beautiful, fast and the battery life is also excellent. Installed a few emulators too. Need to figure out how to get it to play nice with my PS3 controller.
  • Tonka 27 Dec 2012 06:50:45 20,825 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    I've seen a couple of custom launchers that allow you to reorganise the app drawer. It is not possible with the stock launcher.
    My previous android device was a Sony Ericsson phone that let me sort by download date or custom order in the app drawer. I thought it was a standard feature.

I guess it's unnecessary since the launcher pages allow for endless customisation. I just feel as if using them for anything but widgets is a waste of space.

Will look into drawer apps. Any recommendations?

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• MrSensible 27 Dec 2012 10:54:42 25,237 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    L0cky wrote:
    When you navigate away from an app on Android its state is paused and it's no longer running, you don't need to close apps manually. The os will manage the lifetime of app state automatically...
    Thanks for that! Handy to know. I was worried how it'd cope tbh!

One other thing... I have the Nexus and my girlfriend has the Kindle Fire HD. Has anybody tried charging the Kindle with a Nexus charger? I assume it'll be OK as they appear to be the same volts and whatnot... though I am stupid when it comes to these things. It'd just save buying another one that we don't really need.
  • jagg3r 27 Dec 2012 11:04:57 1,040 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @gareth886 you need a otg cable and you can just plug and play with your ps3 pad, also you could root you nexus and you could use the pad wireless with apps like six axis on play store

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=otg&hasWorkingJavascript=1

Im thinking about rooting mine as not all games support joypad controls but once rooted you can customise any game to support i think.
  • BlackJedi 27 Dec 2012 12:16:37 387 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    One other thing... I have the Nexus and my girlfriend has the Kindle Fire HD. Has anybody tried charging the Kindle with a Nexus charger?
    It's all just USB charging these days, isn't it? I've been using the same plug-with-USB-socket (came with my HTC Desire 2 years ago) with a standard micro-USB cable for my Desire, Kindle and Nexus 7 with no problems.
  • crashVoodoo 27 Dec 2012 13:16:10 3,965 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    jagg3r wrote:
    @gareth886 you need a otg cable and you can just plug and play with your ps3 pad, also you could root you nexus and you could use the pad wireless with apps like six axis on play store

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=otg&hasWorkingJavascript=1

Im thinking about rooting mine as not all games support joypad controls but once rooted you can customise any game to support i think.
    Thats right. My note is rooted and I bought the sixaxis app from play. It allows you to connect a ps3 controller via bluetooth and also setup touch profiles and assign them to buttons etc.

tutorial

• MrSensible 27 Dec 2012 13:24:38 25,237 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BlackJedi wrote:
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    One other thing... I have the Nexus and my girlfriend has the Kindle Fire HD. Has anybody tried charging the Kindle with a Nexus charger?
    It's all just USB charging these days, isn't it? I've been using the same plug-with-USB-socket (came with my HTC Desire 2 years ago) with a standard micro-USB cable for my Desire, Kindle and Nexus 7 with no problems.
    Ah yeah, it's a USB that connects to a plug socket. So that should be fine for both then? I was assuming so. The Kindle Fire is so bloody slow to charge by just the USB, so this is welcome news!
  • L0cky 27 Dec 2012 14:53:29 1,540 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeh its all the same these days, only need to take one charger for everything. Its an EU regulation.

But for some reason Apple seem to be exempt. Wtf is with them.
  • dsmx 27 Dec 2012 16:47:55 7,652 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Actually it's not a regulation it's a voluntary agreement that most mobile manufacturers signed up to, apple didn't.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Page

of 54 First / Last