Google Nexus Page 16

• Page

of 53 First / Last

• thefilthandthefury 31 Oct 2012 17:48:07 24,983 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Does Android have a lot of tablet-optimised apps these days? I have an Android phone but never really touch it to be honest... bit out of the loop! I don't want the apps to just be the same phone ones with the image blown up.
  • Triggerhappytel 31 Oct 2012 17:57:15 2,695 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    I just sold my N7 16GB on Friday for 180 so do I buy a 32GB one like I intended to, or just not bother now I have a Note 2.
    Who or where did you sell it to for that price?! I would be interested in getting rid of mine and picking up a 32GB version if I can get 180 for it!
  • teamHAM 1 Nov 2012 11:19:32 2,883 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Nexus 10 looks mighty pretty but was disappointed to see there's no 3G with it. Is it likely they will do a 3G model soon? If so I'd probably be inclined to wait until they do. Same goes for quad core. Do you think they will likely launch a 3G/Quad Core model in the next 4-6 months?

If not, will it be possible to use my mobile (currently an HTC Desire HD Android) to browse the web on the N10?

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• crashVoodoo 1 Nov 2012 14:26:24 3,872 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    teamHAM wrote:
    The Nexus 10 looks mighty pretty but was disappointed to see there's no 3G with it. Is it likely they will do a 3G model soon? If so I'd probably be inclined to wait until they do. Same goes for quad core. Do you think they will likely launch a 3G/Quad Core model in the next 4-6 months?

If not, will it be possible to use my mobile (currently an HTC Desire HD Android) to browse the web on the N10?
    Isnt the nexus 10 an a15 chip ? The dual core in that will be smoking.

Also as you say, just tether to your phone for data.

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• THFourteen 1 Nov 2012 14:46:19 33,186 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    Does Android have a lot of tablet-optimised apps these days? I have an Android phone but never really touch it to be honest... bit out of the loop! I don't want the apps to just be the same phone ones with the image blown up.
    i dont think it does yet, no.
  • Stranded87 1 Nov 2012 18:37:32 890 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The screen on the Nexus 10 is stunning.

/Not very stealth I (sort of) have a Nexus 10 post.
  • L0cky 1 Nov 2012 18:47:00 1,521 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    teamHAM wrote:
    will it be possible to use my mobile (currently an HTC Desire HD Android) to browse the web on the N10?
    Yes.

If you carry your phone with you there's very little point in paying for 3G in your other devices.
  • steve242526 1 Nov 2012 19:05:37 132 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Still really wanting to get one of these 32gb babies ! One thing I keep reading about though is that there could be an issue with the screen coming away from the device. Is this something anyones heard about or experienced ?
  • eleven63 1 Nov 2012 19:18:59 1,602 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    steve242526 wrote:
    Still really wanting to get one of these 32gb babies ! One thing I keep reading about though is that there could be an issue with the screen coming away from the device. Is this something anyones heard about or experienced ?
    No problem with mine on that front - I tend to treat my gadgets like new born babies mind...

Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

• steve242526 1 Nov 2012 19:22:33 132 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    To be honest I'm not goin to worry about it too much. It's too much of a good deal to miss based on a few rumours. Just waitin for some cash to come through and then I'm off to get one. Mind you, I was goin to get it from Comet . . .
  • Razz 1 Nov 2012 19:45:17 61,067 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    But what you're not mentioning is that unlike competitors, Android uses a nifty scaling technology that doesn't make software used on tablets look like blown up phone apps.

The obvious exception being the software that doesn't use it, but they are few are far between.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• crashVoodoo 1 Nov 2012 19:46:57 3,872 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    But what you're not mentioning is that unlike competitors, Android uses a nifty scaling technology that doesn't make software used on tablets look like blown up phone apps.

The obvious exception being the software that doesn't use it, but they are few are far between.
    Also since they're selling nexus 7s like gangbusters the tablets apps are actually coming

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• Carlo 1 Nov 2012 20:10:32 17,998 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Triggerhappytel wrote:
    Carlo wrote:
    I just sold my N7 16GB on Friday for 180 so do I buy a 32GB one like I intended to, or just not bother now I have a Note 2.
    Who or where did you sell it to for that price?! I would be interested in getting rid of mine and picking up a 32GB version if I can get 180 for it!
    It was on ebay with a starting price of 170 auction ending Friday afternoon (the price changes were still not widely known at that point). Someone emailed me and said they'd give me 180 into my paypal account there and then if I could get it to them for Sat morning.

Money was in my account, her credentials checked out (had her real name and work address so it was easy to verify via linkedin etc.).

She's still very pleased. As am I.

PSN ID: Djini

• Carlo 1 Nov 2012 20:14:11 17,998 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    L0cky wrote:
    teamHAM wrote:
    will it be possible to use my mobile (currently an HTC Desire HD Android) to browse the web on the N10?
    Yes.

If you carry your phone with you there's very little point in paying for 3G in your other devices.
    The DHD wireless hotspot certainly works (that was my old phone) although some carriers (Orange - the cunts!) knobble the software so you have to pay them to unlock tethering.

I rooted mine and put JellyTime 4.1 on it which was very solid which then enabled tethering which also worked fine.

Blutooth tether sadly never worked.

My advice if you're getting a N7 is to try and get BT v4 tethering working (as the N7 has that)... it's ultra-low energy requirements means barely any loss of battery on your phone if left on...

You'll have to get a mobile with BT v4 though.

• Carlo 1 Nov 2012 20:18:28 17,998 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    steve242526 wrote:
    Back-to-back answers tonight.

This issue was really only on the 1st batch of N7's and has since been sorted out. If you have one with a 'bouncy' screen on the bottom left you could unclip the back and tighten the screw yourself. If you didn't there was talk that this eventually caused a crack on your panel (all the flexing). Initially Asus didn't want to fix them but they didn't have any problem doing my launch model when it cracked.

• myk 1 Nov 2012 23:32:52 552 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Haven't had any trouble with Bluetooth tethering using the nexus 7 with my 3gs, tend to load up a couple of tabs in chrome for the parts of my train journey where the 3g coverage is poor.
  • gamingdave 2 Nov 2012 11:12:46 4,216 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Stranded87 wrote:
    The screen on the Nexus 10 is stunning.

/Not very stealth I (sort of) have a Nexus 10 post.
    And how are the speakers?

I was disappointed by the speaker in the Nexus 7. Want to use a tablet as a TV in the car for my daughter when on a longer journey. The 7 cant really be heard over the car noise (old car, not very quiet) and as it's attached to a head rest and the speakers on the back all the sound is pointing at me.
  • DaM 2 Nov 2012 11:22:05 12,991 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You should get a new car, and bluetooth it through the sound system. Problem solved :)
  • mikew1985 2 Nov 2012 11:27:21 12,656 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Or just get a bluetooth to FM transmitter for 20 and that'll have you sorted.
  • mrpon 2 Nov 2012 11:28:19 28,756 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Or headphones.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• DaM 2 Nov 2012 11:47:17 12,991 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There should be a headrest holder type thing with built in speakers.

/Dragons Den
  • Stranded87 2 Nov 2012 11:50:46 890 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @gamingdave I haven't tried it in a car but they can get pretty load, certainly louder than the Nexus 7. In my house I can get it loud enough to comfortably listen to music on without wishing it was louder, doesn't seem to distort either, though obviously the sound quality is nothing on a proper dedicated set of speakers.

Edit: Saying that, the main speaker is still on the back (there are two smaller ones on the front), so you might still have the problem of the sound being directed at you.

Edited by Stranded87 at 12:00:34 02-11-2012
  • Murbal 2 Nov 2012 11:56:27 22,083 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Looks like iPlayer is up and running now but apparently there are issues with quality. Anyone tried?
  • Triggerhappytel 2 Nov 2012 11:56:49 2,695 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    Triggerhappytel wrote:
    Carlo wrote:
    It was on ebay with a starting price of 170 auction ending Friday afternoon (the price changes were still not widely known at that point). Someone emailed me and said they'd give me 180 into my paypal account there and then if I could get it to them for Sat morning.

Money was in my account, her credentials checked out (had her real name and work address so it was easy to verify via linkedin etc.).

She's still very pleased. As am I.
    Good for you man. What a bloody idiot though; you can buy them brand new forum just a little more, and get mint condition used ones a good 20 cheaper. People who bid on eBay are strange sometimes.
  • gamingdave 2 Nov 2012 12:06:12 4,216 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yep, should definitely get a new car. The Polo is 13 years old, but it still runs!

Using the existing speakers doesn't work, as there aren't any in the back.

And she wouldn't keep a pair of headphones on.

DaM wrote:
    There should be a headrest holder type thing with built in speakers.

/Dragons Den
    Iv'e got 3 weeks till the next long trip. Get too it man!
  • Murbal 2 Nov 2012 12:18:47 22,083 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Something like this?
  • Zomoniac 2 Nov 2012 12:21:48 7,826 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    Something like this?
    Looks like the X-Mini II that I have a couple of. Amazing little things. The advantage of the X over that (though I can't speak for how good that one sounds) is the X has a jack socket as well so you can daisy chain them.
  • gamingdave 2 Nov 2012 12:26:51 4,216 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Food for thought, thanks chaps
  • teamHAM 2 Nov 2012 12:41:31 2,883 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    The DHD wireless hotspot certainly works (that was my old phone) although some carriers (Orange - the cunts!) knobble the software so you have to pay them to unlock tethering.
    @Carlo

Ah, well just typical that I am on Orange! So in order to use my phone to connect my N10 to the web I'm going to have to stump up extra cash? Most displeasing. A brief check on the web reveals it's not that cheap either :(

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• L0cky 2 Nov 2012 13:29:14 1,521 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    Murbal wrote:
    Something like this?
    Looks like the X-Mini II that I have a couple of. Amazing little things. The advantage of the X over that (though I can't speak for how good that one sounds) is the X has a jack socket as well so you can daisy chain them.
    If you want to push the boat out nothing beats these.

Expensive, but better than a lot of non portable speakers; and the battery life is insane (up to 60 hours).
  • Page

of 53 First / Last