of 53 First / Last

• richardiox 11 Oct 2012 16:12:06 5,571 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Same here.
  • glo 11 Oct 2012 16:25:45 3,423 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    both those games run fine on my nexus too.
  • Deleted user 11 October 2012 19:57:00
    Odd, it works now. All I did was uninstall/reinstall Google Play store updates.

Edited by Cosmopolitan at 21:13:58 11-10-2012
  • caligari 11 Oct 2012 22:17:14 17,018 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was sooo very close to buying one of these after sending my Netbook away for a repair.

The fact that the 15 free Play credit is no longer available put me off, though - I snoozed, I lose-ed.
  • jonsaan 11 Oct 2012 22:19:35 25,340 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Saw one of these today and thout it was great.

FCUTA!

• dsmx 11 Oct 2012 22:53:42 7,583 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nexus does exactly what most people want from a tablet and does it for half the cost of an ipad. Google really ought to be advertising it more.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• CharlieStCloud 12 Oct 2012 11:40:19 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    The fact that the 15 free Play credit is no longer available put me off, though - I snoozed, I lose-ed.
    I think that nice little freebie finished at the end of August ...

... still very much worth the 159 price tag though. Makes me laugh knowing the old (not new) iPod touch is available for 169 - absolutely ridiculous!
  • monkman76 12 Oct 2012 12:04:01 4,139 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    End of September actually. I almost got the 16GB version for 180 in Gatwick airport on the 28th and didn't bother, not knowing the deal was about to expire. Regret it now!
  • pauleyc 12 Oct 2012 12:12:24 4,447 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There's also a rumour that the 32GB model will launch soon, possibly replacing the 16GB variant: http://pocketnow.com/2012/10/11/32gb-nexus-7-pricing/
  • caligari 12 Oct 2012 23:17:17 17,018 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    caligari wrote:
    I think that nice little freebie finished at the end of August ...

... still very much worth the 159 price tag though. Makes me laugh knowing the old (not new) iPod touch is available for 169 - absolutely ridiculous!
    Jah, pretty sure that free credit deal ended on the last day of September (well, according to the goons on Hotukdeals, anyway).

Still, I'm glad I held off if a 32GB version is about to be launched. Honestly.

Edited by caligari at 23:17:44 12-10-2012
  • Shikasama 13 Oct 2012 01:11:56 6,712 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    pauleyc wrote:
    There's also a rumour that the 32GB model will launch soon, possibly replacing the 16GB variant: http://pocketnow.com/2012/10/11/32gb-nexus-7-pricing/
    I'm not sure if a flat out storage upgrade is enough. A device that is so connected with Goggle like this is (and everything it entails with Google Now! and what have you) really should be looking towards 3/4g in its next build.
  • TheRealBadabing 13 Oct 2012 01:27:01 1,296 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    pauleyc wrote:
    I'm not sure if a flat out storage upgrade is enough. A device that is so connected with Goggle like this is (and everything it entails with Google Now! and what have you) really should be looking towards 3/4g in its next build.
    I disagree.

With the amount of wifi access freely available these days, unless you urgently need to search IMDB while on the moors or something, the Nexus works very well.

It is a media consumption device, priced aggressively to undercut competitors. Start linking it to mobile contracts and all of of a sudden it seems like an oversized phone with the associated costs and hassle. Considering most of the target audience probably have a phone capable of mobile internet (and supplying a hotspot), it would be a waste of time.
  • Kilters 13 Oct 2012 05:43:48 568 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @TheRealBadabing +1. Cell radio completely negates the point of the nexus 7.

I love it. The smaller size and cost makes it infinitely more portable than my iPad.
  • Shikasama 13 Oct 2012 08:09:06 6,712 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    TheRealBadabing wrote:
    Shikasama wrote:
    pauleyc wrote:
    I disagree.

With the amount of wifi access freely available these days, unless you urgently need to search IMDB while on the moors or something, the Nexus works very well.

It is a media consumption device, priced aggressively to undercut competitors. Start linking it to mobile contracts and all of of a sudden it seems like an oversized phone with the associated costs and hassle. Considering most of the target audience probably have a phone capable of mobile internet (and supplying a hotspot), it would be a waste of time.
    Eh? Who said anything about phone contracts? Do you need a phone contract for a 3G iPad? Genuine question, I wasn't aware of that.

Saying it is a media consumption device is fine, but it isn't just that and considering the raft of features on it I don't see hoiw having a model that is 3g capable could possibly be described as a waste of time. At all. In any respect.
  • PrivateFloyd 13 Oct 2012 09:56:16 4,111 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What are people's opinions of these over the new iPad?

What's the UI like?
    Battery life?
    Quality of media playback (video)

I'm looking for web consumption, spot of comic reading, not interested in gaming. Tend to be on Flipboard, Facebook,twitter,web that's about it.

Genuine question, not trolling for fanboy answers. I have an iPhone, MacBook but the ipad isn't really tied into the apple Eco system at home and as a standalone tablet it's just a bit too big and heavy.

If it ticks all the boxes and I can flog my iPad for close to full price then I'm in.

Anyone gone from iPad to this?

Goat is hungry.....

• Lotos8ter 13 Oct 2012 10:44:52 2,353 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @PrivateFloyd - like putting on a pair of comfy slippers for me. My daughter uses the iPad, I prefer this for ease of use, google chrome and it just does everything I want. I bought a few games (Broken Sword, Cut the Rope type stuff) that play well. 70% of my use is as Kindle and the screen is lovely and well lit. I also use it for web - the smaller screen can mean you enlarge/shrink some sites - I suggest you try before you buy for Facebook and I don't know what the fuck Flipboard is (ludditeisme)
    Battery life is ok but wifi definitely hits it. I tend to turn on wifi, surf what I want then turn it off to read kindle - easy enough.
    I'm not suggesting its cheap but compared to ipad, its much easier justified (to a suspicious wife).

Fiat Lux

• darrenb 13 Oct 2012 11:34:32 676 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd reccomend one to anybody now its been updated.

We have both iPad and the 16 GB nexus in the house now. Other than for the more iPad specific apps like face time I find the nexus far more convenient.

Then again I have had a good 3 years using the android interface so it all feels logical and natural to me.

For 200 quid it is great, streams movies over WiFi no problem so limited storage isn't really a problem and I have just removed horn and reinstalled Batman from the play store and it was done by the time I had a cuppa.

The Facebook app and he main site work fine... twitter fine too

Edited by darrenb at 11:37:13 13-10-2012
  • PrivateFloyd 13 Oct 2012 11:37:59 4,111 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers Guys,

We will still have an ipad2 in the house (the wifes). And i have an iphone so facetime is still possible.

Think Iv convinced myself to sell mine and pick up a Nexus.

Makes more sense from a web consumption point of view, I want something a little more portable.

Added to the fact that i like my phones small so i wont be investing in a Note or S3 or even the iphone5 (cost) anytime soon.

/excited

Goat is hungry.....

• darrenb 13 Oct 2012 11:45:09 676 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just make sure you update to 4.1.2 before you do any thing with it.. I liked mine before the update but its like a different device now with no lag..
  • TheRealBadabing 13 Oct 2012 11:47:59 1,296 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Shikasama Yeah, in the UK certainly you have to pay for any data over a 3G connection so contracts are the norm if you want to put a SIM card in your iPad. 3G Kindles don't need a contract but when you consider the vanishingly small file sizes for the average ebook, the cost is never going to be a concern for Amazon.
  • darrenb 13 Oct 2012 11:48:25 676 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    TheRealBadabing wrote:
    Shikasama wrote:
    pauleyc wrote:
    I disagree.

Eh? Who said anything about phone contracts? Do you need a phone contract for a 3G iPad? Genuine question, I wasn't aware of that.

Saying it is a media consumption device is fine, but it isn't just that and considering the raft of features on it I don't see hoiw having a model that is 3g capable could possibly be described as a waste of time. At all. In any respect.
    You will need some kind of data plan Sim package is imagine, no different to using a 3g dongle in your laptop.
  • Murbal 13 Oct 2012 12:33:25 22,053 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Or just tether to your mobile.
  • CharlieStCloud 13 Oct 2012 12:45:01 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    TheRealBadabing wrote:
    That made me smile because I climbed Ben Nevis last year and there was this guy walking a few paces ahead of me who could not remember the name of a song and suddenly got his phone out to look it up!

... : )
  • Shikasama 13 Oct 2012 23:56:02 6,712 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I honestly didn't know that about 3G and tablets. I suppose it's because I rarely use it on my phone as part of my contract so I never think that the 3G access actually forms part of my fee. Good knowledge everyone. So do iPad users ahve extra data charges then?

I'm finding PocketCloud seriously awesome. Now I just need to find a good media streamer from my pc to the Nexus and I'll never have to leave my bed again.
  • eleven63 14 Oct 2012 10:04:12 1,601 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just got my Nexus 7 update to 4.1.2 - home screen rotation ftw!

Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

• yegon 14 Oct 2012 10:24:02 5,211 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    darrenb wrote:
    You will need some kind of data plan Sim package is imagine, no different to using a 3g dongle in your laptop.
    I've a 3G Tab 7.7. I buy Three pay go data sims from Amazon, 11 for 3gb, expires after 3 months. If you don't stream , 3gb lasts ages and they often last for nearly four months, beyond their supposed expiry. Essentially costs 33 for a years browsing. I can tether to my phone, but for instant, accessible browsing without killing your phone battery, this option is waaaay more convenient.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Broadband-Preloaded-Mobile-Devices/dp/B003Z0T3X2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350206585&sr=8-1

Edited by yegon at 11:26:27 14-10-2012
  • tonyferrino 14 Oct 2012 13:03:11 178 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Shikasama Plex
  • Deleted user 14 October 2012 15:19:29
    Got one of these this morning and i have to say i'm impressed as hell with it. The performance is better than my aging laptop and browsing and stuff is all very easy.

It's all so smooth and useable.
  • Deleted user 16 October 2012 09:47:12
    eleven63 wrote:
    Is this update supposed to take so long? I've been staring at the "X" logo screen for, like, 30 minutes.
    /starting to have a bad feeling

Edited by Cosmopolitan at 10:01:47 16-10-2012

Edited by Cosmopolitan at 10:16:52 16-10-2012
  • eleven63 16 Oct 2012 10:20:56 1,601 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cosmopolitan wrote:
    eleven63 wrote:
    Is this update supposed to take so long? I've been staring at the "X" logo screen for, like, 30 minutes.
    /starting to have a bad feeling

Edited by Cosmopolitan at 10:01:47 16-10-2012
    Er, no, took mine all of 5 mins, only a 32mb update (I think...)

Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

• Page

of 53 First / Last