Google Nexus Page 39

• Page

of 59 First / Last

• Salaman 6 Mar 2013 18:03:44 19,627 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Any way to assure apps use the volume the phone us set to? A bit annoying when it's on silent but opening a game causes a music to blear out whilst you're on the bog at work.
  • mrpon 6 Mar 2013 20:44:36 29,587 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sal, again not sure if you have the same menu structure (I have an SG2) but in Settings - Sounds - Volumes I can set the volume individually for games, ringtones, notifications etc.. Don't think you can set it per app though.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Tonka 6 Mar 2013 20:51:40 21,361 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I hate that too. Seems like it was a feature but that they took it out of stock android.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• BinaryBob101 6 Mar 2013 21:49:43 24,449 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just stick it on mute?

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• darrenb 6 Mar 2013 22:17:33 696 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    On 4.2.2 you can link volumes and mute states.. Well I'm sure that's a standard android setting and not a custom one.

Go to sounds in settings and click on volumes..
  • munki83 7 Mar 2013 12:57:52 1,457 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Had my nexus for a week and a bit now and must say I'm loving it. Makes a huge difference over my Desire HD in terms of usability and having Chrome as the browser is awesome. Not got many apps on it yet as I've been using it to watch netflix and youtube mostly.
  • faux-C 11 Mar 2013 21:37:49 9,651 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone got any tips for a bluetooth mouse to go with the Nexus? I just got a keyboard (this one), and although it's brilliant so far, I spent about double what I wanted to spend. Hoping I can get a budget mouse if possible.
  • ZuluHero 12 Mar 2013 12:37:29 4,340 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How is the Nexus 7 for video format and codecs?

My Galaxy S1 supports, video codecs (mpeg4, H.264, H.263, Sorenson codec, DivX HD/ XviD, VC-1) and video formats (3GP (MPEG-4), WMV (Advanced Systems Format), AVI (divx), MKV, FLV), with a drag and drop interface,

Is the N7 similar? Thanks!
  • Tonka 12 Mar 2013 12:43:27 21,361 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm not sure how the decoding works. Is it run in HW or is the SW taking care of it. Is it systemwide or can different apps decode different stuff? I run DICE Player and so far it has managed everything I've thrown at it.

You seem to have very specific demands though so maybe it won't be enough.

• Dougs 12 Mar 2013 13:24:08 69,542 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pretty sure apps like DICE and MX Video can handle any format you throw at it, and will choose whether hardware of sw decoding. Dunno if there is much of a difference in quality between the 2 though
  • monkman76 12 Mar 2013 13:35:38 5,424 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I slightly prefer MX over Dice, though for the life of me I can't remember why.
  • mikew1985 12 Mar 2013 13:37:45 13,054 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dice player can handle absolutely everything I've thrown at it, streaming from a NAS including some massive(10GB+) 1080p video files.

No issues.
  • Salaman 12 Mar 2013 14:15:10 19,627 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone got any tips fro setting up the llama app? I grabbed it and set up home and work.
    But then the when leaving, when arriving, when at options got a bit confusing. I also find it annoying that when I was at home (and hence llama is supposed to have wifi on) but no longer needed to surf on my phone, I'd manually turn off the wifi and llama turned it back on.

I deleted it eventually but I think I just need to look into configuring it in more detail.
  • THFourteen 12 Mar 2013 14:47:28 34,483 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hmmm but that's the whole point of it you asked it to switch on wifi when you are at home!

Every time you move about the house and you switch cell towers it will think you are arriving home. You might be able to get round it by telling it not to reconnect for an hour after it disconnects

Out of interest, why do you switch off wifi at home?

My lama sets my wifi on when I arrive home or work and switches off mobile data when wifi is connected. As soon as wifi disconnects it switches mobile data on. And then as soon as I leave work or home it switches off wifi

I also have it set up to turn off bluetooth if my headphones are disconnected for more than five mins.

Find it really useful.
  • Salaman 12 Mar 2013 15:12:03 19,627 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I generally find it useful to have my wifi on at home. But if at 8pm, I put my phone down and turn on the pc, planning to be sat at the pc for the rest of the night, I don't need the wifi on. I won't be browsing on my phone. I just got into the habit of turning off wifi when I'm not going to need it for a while in order to save the battery some.

So as a rule I want it on btu if I decide I want it off, then that should override. I just need to sit down and google some tips one evening. Been to busy lately to look into it though. I think you can do wonderful things with it but I was using it in a somewhat basic way.
  • Salaman 12 Mar 2013 15:15:04 19,627 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Sal, again not sure if you have the same menu structure (I have an SG2) but in Settings - Sounds - Volumes I can set the volume individually for games, ringtones, notifications etc.. Don't think you can set it per app though.
    Sotrry I missed that answer. Thanks for that. Haven't found any options to assure the apps respect the overall setting. I can set it to silent or vibrate but opening an app will give you whatever volume. My old Samsung (on bada, not android) used to prompt with "do you want to play sound in silence mode" if you did something like click a youtube video.

I think the only disappointment with the Nexus so far is that it's a bit crap at basic phone stuff. If it's on vibrate it's so weak I don't feel it and if I set it on the max volume and leave the house I don't hear it. I constantly have to check it to find out if I missed a call or got a text or whatnot.

But brilliant in every other way. =0
  • THFourteen 12 Mar 2013 15:15:49 34,483 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Like most of these android tweaks, the prospect of usefulness often outweights the reality of usefulness.

eg) "Wow it would be awesome if llama could turn my gps on when i open google maps"
    well yes it would be awesome, but it only works 50% of the time.

or
    "Wow" it would be awesome if it could turn on my mobile data as soon as i leave the building"
    well yes it does, but it takes till almost 5mins walk from my office before it realises i've left the building
  • LockeTribal 13 Mar 2013 10:06:00 4,540 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So I treated myself for my birthday and ordered a Nexus 4! It's my first ever smartphone and I was wondering if there's anything I need to know starting out?
  • Tonka 13 Mar 2013 10:30:51 21,361 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @LockeTribal I'm in the same boat as you. The Nexus 4 was my first smart phone.

Head over to the Nexus 4 thread and I'll repost a post from the Android Apps & Games thread...

• LockeTribal 13 Mar 2013 10:46:04 4,540 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers!
  • OldCrow 15 Mar 2013 18:51:54 148 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Does anyone know if Ridiculous Fishing or Year Walk intend to come to Android?

Also, after the most recent update my Nexus 7 wi-fi range is terrible, only works in the room next to the router and the room it's in. Any ideas on how to fix?
  • eleven63 15 Mar 2013 19:22:40 1,647 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone else have problems with their nexus 7 taking ages to charge? Been on charge for 3 hours and only upto 40% this seems to long, the hardware or the charger?

Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

• Deleted user 15 March 2013 19:23:08
    Woo nexus 7 is mine. Any essential app lists going?
  • OmniaVincitAmor 15 Mar 2013 19:27:49 1,587 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Ditto. What's worth getting?

Defeat is not getting knocked down, but refusing to get back up.

• ILoveThrashMetal 15 Mar 2013 22:10:10 827 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    OmniaVincitAmor wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Ditto. What's worth getting?
    Having great fun with Plague inc atm.
    As for apps and games-

Google music
    Tunein radio pro
    Eurogamer (of course)
    Reddit is fun
    Kingston office
    Pulse
    Amazon mobile (for nexus 7 you will have to download a apk)
    All in one toolbox (bit like a c cleaner I guess)
    Dashlane (encrypt your passwords)
    Devils attorney
    Plume (twitter app)
    Poweramp
    Spark 360
    SwiftKey
    Super hexagon (I'm really shit at this)
    TV catch up
    XDA premium hd (have any problems, answers on here)
    Killer escape (gory point n click)
    Shop to.net
    Shadowgun
    Total war battles
    Beautiful widgets
    Great big war games
    Nasa app
    Hubble space telescope (incredible wallpapers)
    Viz profanisaurus (want to find details out what a sneaky Hitler is? well now you can)

A bit for everyone :)

Edited by ILoveThrashMetal at 22:11:45 15-03-2013

Arsechickens

• silentbob 17 Mar 2013 23:33:03 29,029 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anyone requiring an android tablet with great build quality, a superb Full HD+ screen, great battery life, decent performance and good storage expandability ... get a Nook HD+ and stick Jelly Beam CM10/.1 on it.

The 32GB versions (with a microSD slot for another 64GB) can be had for 160 notes new and quite frankly are staggeringly good value for money. Great 9" size too, none of this 7" claptrap. ;)

Edited by silentbob at 23:33:58 17-03-2013

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• sanctusmortis 18 Mar 2013 09:29:46 9,807 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone still looking for apps - just over a day left on the current Humble Bundle With Android. 9 games, $7 (4.62). Includes Super Hexagon, Sword and Sworcery, Beat Hazard and Dungeon Defenders, which probably add up to more than that alone.
  • ZuluHero 23 Mar 2013 17:57:04 4,340 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok so finally got a nexus 7.. any recommendations for a case to keep it all shiny?

Also, how can you tell when its fully charged?
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 23 Mar 2013 18:24:39 39,806 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It says "Charged" on the screen.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Page

of 59 First / Last