Google Nexus Page 35

• Page

of 52 First / Last

• Short-Round 12 Feb 2013 15:49:20 1,181 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @DrStrangelove Good point, hadn't considered battery life. I'm more concerned with the screen quality. I keep reading complaints of washed-out colours (I've seen one in the flesh, but couldn't try any media, just the browser, and tbf I didn't notice anything wrong with the picture), so hopefully they'll sort things in the revision.
  • thefilthandthefury 12 Feb 2013 17:31:54 24,950 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So if I pick up a Nexus 4 phone, can I use it with any network? I'm not exactly a 'phone-person' as it were, so I'm never sure what the hell is going on.

Basically I'd like to stick with my current T-Mobile SIM and just stick that into it.
  • monkman76 12 Feb 2013 17:36:09 3,937 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    So if I pick up a Nexus 4 phone, can I use it with any network? I'm not exactly a 'phone-person' as it were, so I'm never sure what the hell is going on.

Basically I'd like to stick with my current T-Mobile SIM and just stick that into it.
    Yes, except if your SIM is not a micro SIM you'll have to cut it down to the right size to fit it in the Nexus 4. Plenty of guides on google as to how to do that, and if I managed it anyone can do it!
  • bauhaus 12 Feb 2013 17:39:02 3,511 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gah! my USB ethernet adapter dont work. Turns out these devices are quite fussy about ethernet adapters and not many work :(
  • thefilthandthefury 12 Feb 2013 17:39:59 24,950 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:

Yes, except if your SIM is not a micro SIM you'll have to cut it down to the right size to fit it in the Nexus 4. Plenty of guides on google as to how to do that, and if I managed it anyone can do it!
    Ah, brilliant! My current phone has turned into a piece of crap and it seems like a good one for me to go for. Will definitely give it some consideration now - thanks!
  • monkman76 12 Feb 2013 17:45:22 3,937 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @thefilthandthefury it's great, I'm loving mine.
  • thefilthandthefury 12 Feb 2013 19:29:22 24,950 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    EDITED - my previous question became a bit pointless in the end!

Seriously considering one of these. I'm not usually one to buy a phone but the way this works, if I buy it outright, I'm basically SAVING money. My phone is up for an upgrade and any half decent phone wants a big chunk towards the phone anyway, plus a slight increase in line rental. If I just buy one of these it'll save me money over the long run... AND I get an awesome phone!

Is the 8gb worthwhile though?

Edited by thefilthandthefury at 19:50:57 12-02-2013
  • CharlieStCloud 12 Feb 2013 20:35:06 5,042 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Is the 8gb worthwhile though?
    I'd happily recommend you to go for the 16GB model if you can ... you'll feel a little bit restricted with what you can download in the foreseeable future (if you choose the 8GB model).
  • Immaterial 13 Feb 2013 08:25:25 1,320 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    For some reason, I can't stream bbc radio/iplayer any more ( was using firefox beta & flash). anyone either seen a new workaround yet or found a decent radio app? Radioplayer fails to stream anything.

Think I'll just switch everything off.

• monkman76 13 Feb 2013 08:33:05 3,937 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    TuneIn Radio seems pretty good to me though I'm hardly a power user. Does BBC radio.
  • richardiox 13 Feb 2013 08:43:25 5,535 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There's an official iplayer app for the Nexus, don't know why you'd bother doing it through Firefox
  • crashVoodoo 13 Feb 2013 08:48:14 3,850 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Immaterial wrote:
    For some reason, I can't stream bbc radio/iplayer any more ( was using firefox beta & flash). anyone either seen a new workaround yet or found a decent radio app? Radioplayer fails to stream anything.
    Seems a bit convoluted when there is an official iPlayer app and has been for a while.

iPlayer

iPlayer media transport whatsit (needed)

Edited by crashVoodoo at 08:49:09 13-02-2013

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• Immaterial 13 Feb 2013 10:20:42 1,320 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    There's an official iplayer app for the Nexus, don't know why you'd bother doing it through Firefox
    crashVoodoo wrote:

Seems a bit convoluted when there is an official iPlayer app and has been for a while.

iPlayer

iPlayer media transport whatsit (needed)
    Because it currently only streams low-quality media, which looks shocking on a Nexus 10- and the radio fails to work utterly.

@Monkman76 - Ta, I'll give that a whirl.

Think I'll just switch everything off.

• Wacko_AK 13 Feb 2013 10:40:37 178 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TuneIn Radio seems pretty good to me though
    It's superb but hammers your data allowance.
  • Salaman 13 Feb 2013 10:46:32 18,856 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:

It's not for sale in Belgium but I was in Germany last week and picked up the 16GB model whilst I was there (not on a contract obviously).
    I stopped off at a phone shop from my current Belgian mobile phone provider. They just gave me a micro sim, copied my contacts from my current sim to the new micro sim and 10 minuts later the new sim was activated. No stanley knife involved. :-)

Really pleased with it. After only 3 days with the nexus I picked up my old phone last night and it felt like a toy phone. So tiny!
  • Short-Round 13 Feb 2013 10:59:07 1,181 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hopefully this'll be useful to someone else. Just been on the phone to a nice lady at John Lewis, and after a few minutes of searching their system for the regular Nexus 7 and it saying it's not in stock, it turns out that all this time the shops had been given an incorrect product number, for the 3G version (which they don't even stock at the moment) instead of the vanilla version. Long story short, they do have the regular N7 in stock, just reserved myself one.

The lady seemed quite grateful, she said since Christmas they've been telling people they don't have it in stock, as that's what their system was telling them.
  • Short-Round 13 Feb 2013 10:59:23 1,181 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted
  • malloc 13 Feb 2013 12:06:46 2,299 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Y micro sim has finally arrived so can use it properly now. On fact this is my first post from it no doubt you tell by the lack of spelling and grammar.

How do you copy and paste text? Such as from an article to quote in a comment? Can't for the life of me figure out how to do it.
  • monkman76 13 Feb 2013 14:31:56 3,937 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @malloc long press (press and hold) the word you want to copy until you get a series of (not very clear) icons at the top right. You can select more than just the one word by dragging the start and end pointers.

EDIT - annoyingly this is inconsistent, the copy/paste etc icons can sometimes appear at the bottom of the screen not the top. Poor show Jelly Bean, shouldn't it be the same everywhere across the OS?

Regarding icons whose function isn't obvious, generally in any app you can long press the icon to get a 'tool-tip' type pop up telling you what it does.

Edited by monkman76 at 14:33:38 13-02-2013
  • malloc 13 Feb 2013 15:20:20 2,299 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @monkman76 you're a genius my friend
  • Shikasama 13 Feb 2013 18:55:44 6,603 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Any recommendations on a decent IMAP app?
  • ZuluHero 14 Feb 2013 11:20:30 4,018 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Really tempted by an N7.. 159 for the 16gb model. are the good? will it run everything on the marketplace? my Galaxy s1 struggles with some things...
  • monkman76 14 Feb 2013 11:39:05 3,937 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It should run everything, it's pretty much the Android flagship!

Bear in mind that you'd only really pay 30 more for double the storage as you can only get the 16GB direct from Google and they charge 10 shipping, while you can get the 32GB for 199 on the high street (plus occasional cashback at PC World for example brings it down to 189!).
  • ZuluHero 14 Feb 2013 11:55:42 4,018 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ahh i didnt know about the shipping..thats a good call, thanks
  • D_arkTrooper 14 Feb 2013 13:36:20 1,295 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Some apps are a no-go. I've had a few flag up over time saying they aren't compatible with my devices.

Edited by D_arkTrooper at 13:39:35 14-02-2013

3DS Friend Code : 5000-2484-1471

Animal Crossing alter ego: Andy from Stoke

• D_arkTrooper 14 Feb 2013 14:00:19 1,295 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmmm....Mucho oddness!

Just switched on my Nexus and there's an Android 4.2.2 update which downloaded but failed to install. Doing a manual update check states my device is currently up to date (or words to that effect) even though I'm still on 4.2.1.

3DS Friend Code : 5000-2484-1471

Animal Crossing alter ego: Andy from Stoke

• Short-Round 14 Feb 2013 15:23:01 1,181 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well I'm gutted. Picked up an N7 yesterday, and it won't get past the wifi authentication. Spent hours reading (it's a common issue) and none of the fixes work.

To add to the fun, it also won't work with my XP computer (just goes through some MTP device installation screen, XP tells me to restart computer, which I do over and over and over).

Nice paperweight then :(
  • crashVoodoo 14 Feb 2013 16:11:01 3,850 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My n7 has got a dodgy speaker which crackles horribly when any sound comes out of it. Gonna take it back for a replacement.

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• Dougs 14 Feb 2013 16:25:12 66,633 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What's the issue with wifi authentication?
  • Stranded87 14 Feb 2013 17:06:42 849 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Short-Round I'm sure you've already checked this, but just in case- with the XP issues are you certain it's not mounting as a drive/USB stick even though the installation fails? One of my computers runs XP and almost no phone or tablet I've used (I review them, so it's a lot) claims to have installed properly, but most of them- Nexus included, still mount.
  • Page

of 52 First / Last