3DS XL announced, coming to Europe July 28th Page 4

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• FuzzyDuck 23 Jun 2012 23:07:45 4,140 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Between their still gimped digital rights policy and no charger in the box (if this is accepted then there'll be no plug with the Wii U next, just watch) Nintendo can fuck right off with this one.
  • mal 24 Jun 2012 01:24:59 22,566 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It makes sense to me if I got a 3DS XL because then I can sell on my current 3DS second hand with a cradle and charger (and buy a new cradle for the XL). Or keep the old 3DS as a Euro machine and import an XL. Would be nice to have my ambasaddor games on the system with the less cramped d-pad though. I'm guessing I can't do a system transfer between regions. Anyone know?

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• yegon 24 Jun 2012 07:08:37 5,278 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Would be nice to have my ambasaddor games on the system with the less cramped d-pad though.
    Are you sure the buttons and d-pad are actually bigger? They were identical size between the DSi and DSi XL you see.
  • CosmicFuzz 24 Jun 2012 09:54:15 24,360 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Won't games look pixelated as fuck? Is the screen bigger than the original DS XL? I can imagine the 3D effect looking quite lovely on that size screen but not if it's jaggy-tastic.

We're back! Our gaming podcast Open Source returns after a break with a look at Destiny, Minecraft and more. Check us out! (And give us a rating on iTunes please!) :)

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 24 Jun 2012 12:49:04 6,654 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah the dsi xl was a bit pixelated. Still looks good though imo.
  • elstoof 24 Jun 2012 13:47:29 7,372 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    Between their still gimped digital rights policy and no charger in the box (if this is accepted then there'll be no plug with the Wii U next, just watch) Nintendo can fuck right off with this one.
    The NES didn't come with a plug.
  • mal 24 Jun 2012 14:05:59 22,566 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    yegon wrote:
    mal wrote:
    Would be nice to have my ambasaddor games on the system with the less cramped d-pad though.
    Are you sure the buttons and d-pad are actually bigger? They were identical size between the DSi and DSi XL you see.
    No, I expect the d-pad to be the same piece, but it's further away from the corner of the unit, so you won't have to hold it with your fingertips in some sort of claw configuration. To me the buttons do look further apart, but I'm not sure.

• yegon 24 Jun 2012 14:49:15 5,278 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mal wrote:
    yegon wrote:
    mal wrote:
    No, I expect the d-pad to be the same piece, but it's further away from the corner of the unit, so you won't have to hold it with your fingertips in some sort of claw configuration. To me the buttons do look further apart, but I'm not sure.
    That's true, I got along a lot better with my DSi XL than I did any previous DS's, never got hand cramps. Same goes with the Vita, bigger the better as far as I'm concerned. The 3DS does feel unbalanced when using the d-pad.

Edited by yegon at 14:49:29 24-06-2012
  • Feanor 24 Jun 2012 15:16:19 14,166 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Maybe at the time they couldn't.
  • Afiddes 24 Jun 2012 15:21:32 1,164 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    To be honest if the wii u used the same battery pack as the wii I would rather they took off 20-30 pound of the price and didn't include one

3DS: 5198 2465 6450

• mal 24 Jun 2012 15:41:35 22,566 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So, anyone else slightly disappointed we don't seem to be getting the all black or all white version in Europe. Only confirmation I've seen in Europe says three configs - blue, red and silver, all with two tone cases.

• ilmaestro 25 Jun 2012 00:00:26 32,449 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I would be, if I was buying one. All white DS Lite, all black 3DS, I'd quite like to keep the trend going.

• FuzzyDuck 25 Jun 2012 01:05:29 4,140 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    Really? Pretty sure i got one with mine.

I reckon this thing with the charger is Nintendo's first attempt at discouraging secondhand sales. Gonna flog our previous console on us? Boom, give us more money or your new one won't charge.
  • GuiltySpark 25 Jun 2012 01:15:43 6,387 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Feedback on this seems incredibly negative, but I welcome the bigger screen wholeheartedly. As long as the jaggies are kept to a minimum (which really is the determining factor), the 3D on a larger screen should be amazing.

Get bent.

• GuiltySpark 25 Jun 2012 01:16:06 6,387 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Also larger screen, larger sweet spot?

Get bent.

• mal 25 Jun 2012 01:35:52 22,566 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Possibly, but it's probably just the same - scale everything up and the angles involved stay the same. But it'll be a new part, probably from the same manufacturer. Depends if the actual LCD is significantly thicker or not, I think.

• caligari 25 Jun 2012 02:20:59 17,057 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    mal wrote:
    It makes sense to me if I got a 3DS XL because then I can sell on my current 3DS second hand with a cradle and charger (and buy a new cradle for the XL). Or keep the old 3DS as a Euro machine and import an XL. Would be nice to have my ambasaddor games on the system with the less cramped d-pad though. I'm guessing I can't do a system transfer between regions. Anyone know?
    I didn't think that you could transfer ambassador games.

edit: oh, Google says that you can.

Edited by caligari at 02:59:41 25-06-2012
  • Deleted user 25 June 2012 06:56:57
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 25 June 2012 06:58:34
    elstoof wrote:
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    Yes it did.
  • elstoof 25 Jun 2012 07:41:51 7,372 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You had to wire a plug onto the bare end of cable yourself. TOTAL! Magazine ran a feature in issue 1 on how to do it properly and everything, with Andy Dyer unboxing his NES ending with a comedy "blown up" shot because he got the brown and blue mixed up.
  • ryohazuki1983 25 Jun 2012 11:19:48 735 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wonder how much GAME will charge for a trade-in, bigger screen and console will hopefully mean less hand cramp.

Anybody know how to transfer the data over from one system to another (although I guess this would have to be done in the shop if trading in!)
  • DFawkes 25 Jun 2012 11:33:09 22,978 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm fairly sure you need an Internet connection as well as both 3DSes so it can connect to the eShop, deauthorise one console then re-suthorise the other. Bit of a pain when it comes to trading in.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 25 Jun 2012 13:44:54 6,654 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I just traded in my 3ds, should I have deauthorised it? All I did was blank the memory card.
  • redcrayon 25 Jun 2012 14:28:09 4,558 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well, the new owner would still have access to your download history, and obviously it might still be linked to your club nintendo account if you set that up. It doesn't store your credit card details though, so I can't see as there's much to worry about.

Where did you trade it in? I'd expect most games places (i.e. not HMV or Amazon) to restore it to factory settings or something like that.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 25 Jun 2012 14:48:59 6,654 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Shit I hope so. I traded it for store credit at Blockbusters. Probably worth calling them.

I presumed all the data was on the SD Card.
  • mal 25 Jun 2012 14:52:55 22,566 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    No, somewhat confusingly the system stores data both internally and on the SD card. Additionally, games contain their own save data, so games have three places they can save.

• DFawkes 25 Jun 2012 16:14:21 22,978 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    redcrayon wrote:
    It doesn't store your credit card details though, so I can't see as there's much to worry about.
    I thought you could now, if you wanted to?

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 25 Jun 2012 16:57:55 6,654 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yep, I seem to remember not being asked for card details when I bought Zelda.

Cancelled my card.
  • redcrayon 25 Jun 2012 17:01:24 4,558 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Weird, I thought it didn't store them by default. Maybe I just blanked it out when I put lots of credit on about the time that various places were getting hacked, and told it not to store my details, as it keeps asking me every time now.

@Mr bitch_tits
    good call, apologies if I got it wrong.
  • Page

of 8 First / Last