Magic DOTP 2013 Page 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• Singularity 23 Jun 2012 19:40:36 2,446 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    On iPad, when you have a creature that gets pluses to its stats when you tap a mana, how on earth do you tap said mana? I can't seem to do it before the combat phase, and during it says lands can't attack.

I don't like the timed phases, either.
  • AaronTurner 23 Jun 2012 19:47:39 7,746 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Havent had to tap land yet but what do you mean you dont like the timed phases?

I wish there was a campaign for each deck of cards that you had to work through to unlock everything, I font think it would would gave been too hard to make and it would have made for great longevity for single player.
  • Singularity 23 Jun 2012 20:09:17 2,446 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just how it shifts from the main phase to the combat phase before I'm ready. Having to manually pause is rubbish. I must have to tap the land before combat, but it just rushes along.
  • AaronTurner 23 Jun 2012 20:12:56 7,746 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ah right, that's pretty odd, there must be a way to tap it before playing a card.
  • Shikasama 23 Jun 2012 21:58:20 6,841 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Having unlocked all of the decks I'm pretyt dissapointed to not have a tricolour, given that manual mana tapping is a much heralded feature
  • Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 24 Jun 2012 18:41:23 4,629 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Downloaded the XBLA version yesterday, haven't played Magic since I was kid so it's taking me a while to get back into it.

That goblin deck is hilarious. :)

"sounds like a public school ponce"

• Shikasama 24 Jun 2012 18:56:53 6,841 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Damn strong as well Tom. Potentially one of the best decks on there.

I'm quite liking Nefarox but it is stupidly susceptible to flying monsters!
  • ilmaestro 25 Jun 2012 00:03:44 32,449 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Singularity wrote:
    On iPad, when you have a creature that gets pluses to its stats when you tap a mana, how on earth do you tap said mana?
    Possibly a silly question, but do you not have to zoom in on the creature card to activate the ability? No idea how the manual mana tapping might have changed the mechanics as I haven't played 2013.

Unless it says otherwise, you should be able to play the ability during the main part of your turn, or during combat (ie. wait to see what they do in terms of blocking before you choose whether to do it or not).

Edited by ilmaestro at 21:12:34 25-06-2012

• Elathron 25 Jun 2012 09:32:31 1,189 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hey all... I was ranked 99 on the first iteration of this game, then ranked 50 at one point for 2012 (then the game was swamped with hundreds of rank boosters making the whole system a farce). Looking forward to dowloading this tonight, but I'm also incredibly annoyed that we're not rewarded for having bought all the previous games+DLC. For Christ's sake we're the ones who've funded this 3rd incarnation so you'd think at least a custom avatar would be swung our way. Apparently, Stainless are as good as Wizard's at rewarding their loyal fans. Oh well - spilt milk and all that.
    Anyway, if anyone is on XBL and fancies going over tactics for the new game then send me a message as I will be on this when I get bored of grinding in Skyrim (abaout an hour after I start playing today then haha).

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• AccidentProne 25 Jun 2012 09:46:17 1,163 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Elathron You do get a key to unlock a full deck or foil card if you've played one of the earlier versions. Nothing extra for having all of them and the DLC though which is a shame.
  • Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 25 Jun 2012 09:58:19 4,629 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Haven't ventured online yet. Is it awash with goblin decks?

• AccidentProne 25 Jun 2012 10:19:37 1,163 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've not actually gone up against the goblin deck online yet, then again I've only played a few non-ranked matches. Is it really that powerful then? Only unlocked one card for it in single player and that took a few attempts, though I was probably trying to play it all wrong.
  • Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 25 Jun 2012 10:33:16 4,629 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    I've not actually gone up against the goblin deck online yet, then again I've only played a few non-ranked matches. Is it really that powerful then? Only unlocked one card for it in single player and that took a few attempts, though I was probably trying to play it all wrong.
    Yeah, once you've unlocked everything and given it a trim it's pretty awesome. Lots of cheap summons with haste. Get loads of goblins out there and then destroy people with incinerator.

Only problem is you'll get into difficulties if you don't win early and your opponent is able to regularly knock out your goblins.

• Elathron 25 Jun 2012 10:39:44 1,189 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    1 Unlock key? Lol, it's better than a kick in the balsac I suppose!!!!

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• Shikasama 25 Jun 2012 12:39:11 6,841 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Goblins are also battered by sweepers. Chandra can seriously hurt it, as can Liliana. Talrand can be a bugger as well if you don't get a good draw as you have no flying defense and little removal.

They've actually done a really good job of matching decks on this one. You'll definitley still lose as the Goblins and to a variety of decks.
  • Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 25 Jun 2012 13:01:17 4,629 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh yeah, there are no guarantees, a lot depends on your draw obviously, but I feel like it's definitely one of the strongest.

Apparently lots of people bitching about people using the lifegain deck online...

• Shikasama 25 Jun 2012 13:15:41 6,841 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That's one of the things I find really hard on the Magic DOTP forum when they are talking about decks.

Oh, you just do this on turn 3 so you can do that on turn 4 and drop a 5 cmc creature on turn 5.

Yeah...as long as you draw the cards.
  • Shikasama 25 Jun 2012 13:16:18 6,841 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Also, you can mill the lifegain deck into pure oblivion :D I beat an Ajani who was on 200 health, I could taste the 'FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU'
  • Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 25 Jun 2012 13:23:44 4,629 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    True. The advantage of the goblin deck in this respect is that so many of the creatures are 1 or 2 mana. Generally it's easy to swamp the board with goblins and then make use of the spells and abilities that utilise those goblin numbers.

Not drawing incinerator can be a pain though.

• Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 25 Jun 2012 13:25:30 4,629 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    Also, you can mill the lifegain deck into pure oblivion :D I beat an Ajani who was on 200 health, I could taste the 'FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU'
    :D

• Elathron 25 Jun 2012 14:05:41 1,189 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Argh, this is like torture for me :(
    Cannot wait to play tonight... One question guys!!! Are the 6/6 elementals back from the first game? I can't wait to play Dread or the red one (I've forgotten the name like a noob) again as they're some of the most subtle game-winners out there! Also is poison a factor or have they decided against the use of Phirexian fluff and instead just done the "regulars"...

Edited by Elathron at 14:06:44 25-06-2012

• Shikasama 25 Jun 2012 18:56:45 6,841 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just by reading those questions Elathron I can trell you're better than me!
  • ilmaestro 25 Jun 2012 21:22:20 32,449 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Elathron wrote:
    For Christ's sake we're the ones who've funded this 3rd incarnation so you'd think at least a custom avatar would be swung our way.
    There was a discount for the game on Steam if you owned 2012, so I can only imagine it was MS who got in the way of something similar on XBLA.

Shikasama wrote:
    Yeah...as long as you draw the cards.
    But this is the attraction of theory! It all works... in theory! It's why some people can be great deck builders, but not so great players.

• Concrete 25 Jun 2012 21:26:06 581 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Is it me or can you not actually play multiplayer on the PC version? I've owned the last two iterations on the 360 so this fact is new to me but it seems pretty common knowledge on the steam forums and in reviews.
  • Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 25 Jun 2012 22:02:30 4,629 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Concrete wrote:
    Is it me or can you not actually play multiplayer on the PC version? I've owned the last two iterations on the 360 so this fact is new to me but it seems pretty common knowledge on the steam forums and in reviews.
    I had a quick check on the official site and it says the same multiplayer modes are available on all versions with the exception of iPad which is limited to two player.

• Concrete 26 Jun 2012 08:51:51 581 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There are menu options, selecting join game gives the same endless "Unable to join game" and when you create a game no one ever joins, regardless of settings.

Basically its like no-one else in the world is playing the title, which I find very hard to beleive. Apparently terrible net code is responsible.

Edited by Concrete at 08:53:14 26-06-2012
  • ilmaestro 26 Jun 2012 09:22:29 32,449 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's not the most surprising thing in the world, I guess. They could hardly get away with it on Live or PSN, but DotP is supposed to be a gateway drug to get people playing with cards or MTGO, so there's little incentive for them to put much work into patching the multiplayer side of a game that costs about the same as two boosters.

• Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 26 Jun 2012 09:36:32 4,629 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh, I see, sorry I misunderstood your post. Sounds pretty grim, I find it hard to believe that they won't sort it though.

• Concrete 26 Jun 2012 10:06:53 581 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ilmaestro wrote:
    It's not the most surprising thing in the world, I guess. They could hardly get away with it on Live or PSN, but DotP is supposed to be a gateway drug to get people playing with cards or MTGO, so there's little incentive for them to put much work into patching the multiplayer side of a game that costs about the same as two boosters.
    Three boosters if you live in Brighton :D Thats the annoying thing, I have thousands of cards, hell I even play in tournaments (badly), my geekedness is assured. Unfortunately I live about 300 miles from most of my mates who play and would rather not play at all than go anywhere near the horror that is MTGO.
  • ilmaestro 26 Jun 2012 10:24:16 32,449 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Concrete wrote:
    Three boosters if you live in Brighton :D
    Hah, noted if I'm in the area!

• Page

of 4 First / Last