Magic DOTP 2013

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • Shikasama 21 Jun 2012 20:16:11 6,635 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Putting this in the general thread as its the same across platforms.

What do people think? I'm fairly new to Magic (put about 64 hours into 2012 and never played the real game) but I like this iteration. The UI is better, manual mana tapping will make a huge difference and the decks seem to have a greater variety than just CREATURES! RAWR!

Saying that I've rage quit many times over Odric. That deck seems ot be far too powerful by far. Wielding Steel, March to War and Beknighted all in one? Christ.
  • THFourteen 21 Jun 2012 20:18:09 32,883 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I used to play magic when I was a kid, and the fact you can't create your own deck means this game holds no interest for me as that was most of the fun.

Where is the strategy in using a deck someone else prepared?
  • Shikasama 21 Jun 2012 20:23:36 6,635 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well in 2012 the options per deck once you unlocked the full amount of cards could very much change how the deck was played. Fairly obviously the strategy is in playing the cards you are dealt, it's a bit daft to say that building a themed deck out of 90 cards means there is no strategy when playing a counter themed deck.

Also, DOTP is quite obviously a prelude to eventually moving onto MtGO, where you can spend loads of money hoping to get some decent cards in booster cards.
  • THFourteen 21 Jun 2012 20:24:35 32,883 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BOOSTER PACKS

/sinks money
  • Shikasama 21 Jun 2012 20:28:57 6,635 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Haha

I actually wonder if, given the full amount of cards and free reign to mix and match, people would make decks that different to what is already there in DOTP. They are selected thematically so in my limited experience I doubt there'd be huge differnce each way.

Although I expect tri colour decks would be a lot stronger.
  • AaronTurner 21 Jun 2012 20:39:55 7,598 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ah is it out? Has there been any further loosening on the deck building? 2012 was far better than the original in that respect, I wasted a lot of hours on that game.
  • AaronTurner 21 Jun 2012 20:40:01 7,598 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ah is it out? Has there been any further loosening on the deck building? 2012 was far better than the original in that respect, I wasted a lot of hours on that game.
  • Machetazo 21 Jun 2012 20:55:01 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ...If only there was a site review available to read? :)
  • AaronTurner 21 Jun 2012 21:05:25 7,598 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well the review doesn't answer my question, but to anyone else who is interested, yes there are now more unlockable cards per deck (30 to be precise).
  • Shikasama 21 Jun 2012 21:15:02 6,635 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There were unlockable cards in the last one Aaron but only 15 if I remember rightly.

Hostility is one of my new favourite cards
  • THFourteen 21 Jun 2012 21:33:05 32,883 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's actually free on iPad. Downloading it now!
  • AccidentProne 22 Jun 2012 08:01:43 1,154 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sunk a load of hours into all the previous iterations on the 360 and can't see this one being any different. Liking the new ui, it all seems really slick. Not worried about the lack of full deck customisation either, 30 unlockables per deck is enough for me, leads to a fair bit of variation and the deck statistics makes tuning a bit easier. The encounters are great for learning to play against specific strategies as well.

Only downside I've spotted is that the decks are predominately of a single colour, well the few I've unlocked so far at least. Haven't tried the new planechase mode yet either, but wasn't a big fan of archenemy last year, so won't be missing that.
  • ilmaestro 22 Jun 2012 08:11:06 32,406 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    I used to play magic when I was a kid, and the fact you can't create your own deck means this game holds no interest for me as that was most of the fun.

Where is the strategy in using a deck someone else prepared?
    It's a bit like playing a fighting game with a character whose moves are already listed for you. :)

• PrivateFloyd 22 Jun 2012 08:57:08 4,107 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Didn't realise there was a thread for this.

Playing on the ipad is sublime for this type of game, any others plumping for the 6.99 premium pack for it?

Be cool to get some ipad EG matches on the go.

Goat is hungry.....

• Shikasama 22 Jun 2012 12:41:00 6,635 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    Only downside I've spotted is that the decks are predominately of a single colour, well the few I've unlocked so far at least. Haven't tried the new planechase mode yet either, but wasn't a big fan of archenemy last year, so won't be missing that.
    Yeah this is a bit odd,what with them finally adding manual mana tapping. I've not completed the campaign yet but I'm playing against the first duo I've seen which is black/white, but not shit like Dark Heavens.

Come to think of it, it is probably fairly consistent with 2012. Dark Heavens, March to War, Trinity of Elements were all DLC packs weren't they? Then you had Pillar of Stone, Ancient Depths and Machinations.

I get confused between which ones were DLC and which ones weren't.
  • AccidentProne 22 Jun 2012 13:05:18 1,154 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hmm, you might be right actually, can't remember which decks were DLC last year either.

Hadn't actually noticed the manual mana tapping, think I've everything on default still, will mess around with that later.

Also, not sure about completely unlocking a deck with the loyalty key thing. I prefer to get a feel for a deck by playing it a while and slowly unlocking cards before trimming it back to 60 or so. Might just use it for a shiny instead, though I'm not too sure what the point of those is?
  • Shikasama 22 Jun 2012 13:12:26 6,635 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The unlock thing is pretty neat considering people actualyl paid money to be able to unlock cards in 2012. Personally I agree with you, I need to unlcok cards slowly to learn what they do, as I am still a fairly hopeless player.

Oh also I forgot Cloudburst in the last post, that was DLC too.
  • Deleted user 22 June 2012 13:52:24
    You do realise there's an online MP MtG available from WotC where you pay something like $10 and play against other people and can build your own decks? Much more fun IMO
  • ilmaestro 22 Jun 2012 14:22:19 32,406 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Do you really pay "something like $10" though, or do you secretly pay "something like $10" quite often, because you're talking about an actual full-on CCG with the inescapable spiral of cost that that implies?

• AccidentProne 22 Jun 2012 14:29:02 1,154 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thing is, it's the cost that puts me right off CCGs. I like that with this, everyone's on a level, albeit limited, playing field.
  • AccidentProne 22 Jun 2012 14:34:08 1,154 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Saying that, I'll not think twice about buying the inevitable DLC for this...

Wish they'd make an online version of Dominion.
  • Concrete 22 Jun 2012 14:40:41 561 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MTGO as a concept is fine, I sink enough money into the real world card version to justify buying boosters in the online version, especially as you can 'cash out' cards into their real equivilents.

My concern is that the client is one of the ugliest, most uninituitive, clumbersome unsupported pieces of crap ever developed.

They need to get Stainless to build a new front end and shop and I would get stuck in.
  • THFourteen 22 Jun 2012 15:41:48 32,883 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    Thing is, it's the cost that puts me right off CCGs. I like that with this, everyone's on a level, albeit limited, playing field.
    amusingly a few mates clubbed together and put in 10 each a few months ago and we played a booster draft. You take turns opening a booster pack, pick a card and pass the rest round. Costs surprisingly little, and is a LOT of fun, and everyone is on a level playing field.

All you need is a load of spare land cards so that people can take as many lands as they need to make up the rest of their decks.

and if you get lucky you might end up with a rare in one of your booster packs that you can sell for money $$$
  • AccidentProne 22 Jun 2012 15:55:56 1,154 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That sounds cool, unfortunately none of my mates can be arsed with it anymore due to the costs involved (and the fact that they spend way too much on board games now!). I'll suggest we try something like this though, as I know a few of them miss it. Although, deck building games like Dominion seem to be scratching that itch for the most part.
  • Shikasama 22 Jun 2012 18:10:57 6,635 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    HurbleBurble wrote:
    You do realise there's an online MP MtG available from WotC where you pay something like $10 and play against other people and can build your own decks? Much more fun IMO
    Oddly enough I have not interest in expanding my Magic experience past the tight confines of DOTP. I don't have the time or inclination for huge amounts of learning in these type of games any more. I like that I can look at Jace Beleren and think 'cool, mill deck. This is how I play this deck'.

Probably disgustingly casual of me but there we go.
  • Shikasama 22 Jun 2012 19:02:22 6,635 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Something I'm noticing in this far more than I ever encountered it in DOTP12 is I'm getting mana flooded on the draw...a LOT
  • AaronTurner 23 Jun 2012 10:12:55 7,598 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Magic online concept is fine and it can cost very little to take part in some versions (you can probably get enough free cards to set up a game of pauper). The problem is that the client is a fucking piece of shit that burns my eyes out. Considering much of Magic is the artwork you'd have thought they would have made an effort with the client, and as the new version seems to be a myth it looks like I won't be playing it any time soon.
  • THFourteen 23 Jun 2012 11:15:04 32,883 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This game is ace!
  • Deleted user 23 June 2012 11:25:39
    @Shikasama no, not disgustingly casual, I like the fact that people can get the most enjoyment out of it in their preferred way.

Having said that, I think I'm just pissy over DotP2012 which really wound me up. Might have a look at 13 given the kudos you guys have been giving it.
  • Shikasama 23 Jun 2012 11:40:33 6,635 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The decks are definitley a step up mechanically from DTOP from my limited experience. There is still a really heavyc reature focus so the weeny decks are still really strong, but the addition of the proper mill deck, the Exalted deck and the way the Goblins buff themselves out is really cool. Hell even the elvish deck is a bit more interesting this time round!

Saying that, games with Jace's deck - Mind Puppets - are fucking tense! I milled Aajni's deck down when he was on like, 102 life which was hilarious, but the deck is something like 30/70 creature/spell so things really get down to the wire.

An amalgamation of Talrand, with his idn estructible defenders, and Jace would be beyond sick.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous