Android App Pricing Strategy

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • superflyninja 21 Jun 2012 11:42:33 460 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hi all,
    Just wondering what any of you android devs out there do in terms of pricing.
    For me im going to release the first app soon. but have four options the way i see it.
    1) Release the app at a cost of say 80cent
    2) Release it free in order to build a reputation and charge for subsequent
    releases
    3) Ad supported
    4) Have the app free with a link to a donation version.

Any of ye have any experience,tips on first app release plan?]

cheers

Put away those firey biscuits

• Murbal 21 Jun 2012 12:07:52 21,920 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm not a dev but I'd rather pay/donate than suffer an ad supported version.
  • superflyninja 21 Jun 2012 12:15:57 460 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Murbal cheers, the app is targeted towards kids so yeah adds aint a road i want to go down

• WrongShui 21 Jun 2012 12:16:44 6,598 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you're interested in a hobbyists programing opinion, I've been working on a little game for a bit I intend to put up in a couple of months.

I currently intend to release it for free with a an ad on the main menu only. Then maybe later release a version at 65p or there abouts without the ad for folks like murbal, if I feel it's popular enough.

I'd feel cheeky charging for my first release, which was just something to get me to grips with java after transitioning from my cackhanded self taught C++ shenanigans.
  • Alastair 21 Jun 2012 12:48:02 15,421 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If you want to make a bit of cash then as a consumer, I would prefer something along the lines of option 4.
    Free demo version with limited functionality.
    Paid full function version.

Obviously totally free apps are great, but there are so many developers out there, I don't really pay any attention to who develops what (with ref. to your comment about building a reputation as a developer).

Edited by Alastair at 12:49:37 21-06-2012

Not as nice as I used to be

• midnight_walker 21 Jun 2012 13:40:58 1,852 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nothing grinds my gears more than ads. I will gladly pay a reasonable fee for the same app without ads, and that some apps don't offer a paid ad-free version really winds me up!

If it's aimed at kids though, probably the locked demo is the best choice. I echo Alastair's comment that devs are a little anonymous and it's really all about the games unless you're really special. Only devs I really keep a conscious eye out for are Kairosoft.
  • superflyninja 21 Jun 2012 13:45:36 460 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    thanks for the opinions guys....its a tough call to make. basically i work full time and do this game in spare time. And its taken ages. learning ilustrator to produce game assets took some time even, never mind the programming itself.
    im targeting young children, the game as it stands it just a tile matching game but i have plenty of ideas to add to it. its just id find it hard to put in so much time on the extra features without knowing there is some reward...at the moment im thinking of just releasing at 69cent. if it sells great,if not im thinking of doing a lite/pro version. but hearing the comments here then makes me think. Its not a clear cut thing!

• Dougs 21 Jun 2012 14:08:00 66,603 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I like a free version to check it out and if I like it, gladly upgrade/donate.
  • Alastair 21 Jun 2012 14:16:50 15,421 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    For something like a tile matching game, your free version could be a single picture/level, then the paid one has multiple pitcures/levels.

Caution - I suspect the marketplace is flooded with tile matching games already. So it might have to be something special to get people to pay.

Not as nice as I used to be

• superflyninja 21 Jun 2012 14:51:19 460 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    there are tile matching games out there to be sure, im not expecting an easy ride...but the lite - paid version sounds like it could work.....or at least be worth trying!

• Page

of 1

Previous Next