Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Has anyone mentioned the Nazi's yet?
  • Immaterial 21 Jun 2012 20:44:01 1,462 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    Dropping all that gold into lakes in Switzerland? That's no just celebrity tax avoidance, that's pro-celebrity tax avoidance.

Think I'll just switch everything off.

• X201 21 Jun 2012 20:50:10 15,697 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    Doesn't apply, Mel Gibson lives in America.
  • Dougs 21 Jun 2012 23:09:49 69,102 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nice:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NilamAtodaria/status/215922466625830912?photo=1
  • mcmonkeyplc 21 Jun 2012 23:29:35 39,515 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Inertia wrote:
    [link url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKCvf8E7V1g Why the rich should pay moe tax[/link]

This, for me, is an accurate TED talk on who really are the job creators in society.
    I actually just watched that and I agree with almost everything he said... Apart from his insistence that people like him, capitalist or Entrepreneurs, don't create work. They do through meeting the needs of the demands of the most middle class.

It's symbiotic.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• spamdangled 21 Jun 2012 23:30:36 27,426 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    EyeLand wrote:
    Doesn't it make your blood boil, those damn benefit fraudsters?

(They haven't banged that drum in a while, which means it won't be long till the next round.)
    It wouldn't surprise me if this leads to people casting a closer eye on the Tory's own tax arrangements, which then leads to them announcing further clampdowns on the non-existent "endemic" benefit fraud as a distraction.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• spamdangled 21 Jun 2012 23:33:51 27,426 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    I actually just watched that and I agree with almost everything he said... Apart from his insistence that people like him, capitalist or Entrepreneurs, don't create work. They do through meeting the needs of the demands of the most middle class.

It's symbiotic.
    True, but the way I took it was that it's not exclusively the rich or entrepeneurs that create jobs (charities, public sector, small business, etc), but that it is exclusively demand that leads to the jobs being needed in the first place.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• gang_of_bitches 21 Jun 2012 23:34:03 5,643 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Inertia wrote:
    [link url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKCvf8E7V1g Why the rich should pay moe tax[/link]

This, for me, is an accurate TED talk on who really are the job creators in society.

It's symbiotic.
    But his point was that the jobs are created in response to demand, not in anticipation of it, which doesn't exactly require the entrepreneurial vision that might justify a wage tens of times greater than average.
  • spamdangled 21 Jun 2012 23:35:33 27,426 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    To be fair, many entrepeneurs get where they are by anticipating demand for an unproven product/service and taking a big risk.

• Deleted user 21 June 2012 23:44:27
    darkmorgado wrote:
    To be fair, many entrepeneurs get where they are by anticipating demand for an unproven product/service and taking a big risk.
    They have to have that to have any chance of making it. Generally they work insanely hard as well, which is often forgotten by 'the common folk'.

Not sure how we got onto this subject.
  • Tom_Servo 21 Jun 2012 23:47:26 18,083 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Jim Davidson getting into the heart of the issue on This Week right now.
  • Deleted user 21 June 2012 23:47:30
    And jobs are sometimes created in anticipation of demand to be able to meet the demand when it does appear. This is quite common and is also true of established businesses that have peaks in their demand over a year.
  • spamdangled 21 Jun 2012 23:49:26 27,426 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    Jim Davidson getting into the heart of the issue on This Week right now.
    I'm watching it now and thinking "since when is Jim fucking Davidson an expert on economics?"

Then I thought "Why are people still giving this cunt paid work?"

• Deleted user 21 June 2012 23:50:31
    Because they wanted a racist to do it and Lexx wasn't available.
  • spamdangled 21 Jun 2012 23:52:20 27,426 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    And jobs are sometimes created in anticipation of demand to be able to meet the demand when it does appear. This is quite common and is also true of established businesses that have peaks in their demand over a year.
    Very true, which is where stuff like data analysis comes in - looking at past/ market performance and anticipating peaks and troughs in demand.

Very basic (and crude) example - if you run a hotel on a tropical island, you anticipate that you're going to get more guests during the summer months, so you ramp up employment before summer to meet the demand when it appears, rather than have the demand appear and not be able to meet it immediately.

• Deleted user 21 June 2012 23:53:27
    Someone's been playing Tropico.
  • Tom_Servo 21 Jun 2012 23:53:55 18,083 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    :D
  • spamdangled 21 Jun 2012 23:58:55 27,426 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    Someone's been playing Tropico.
    Heh. Nah, I grew up in Jersey. You know when they're ramping up for tourist season because you start seeing street sweepers in St Helier.

• FWB 21 Jun 2012 23:59:18 45,218 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Or if you are a communist you keep everyone employed all year regardless of demand, even if they are doing nothing, don't care about their jobs and are bloody rude.
  • localnotail 23 Jun 2012 00:06:58 23,093 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    8 out of 10 cats was interesting this evening. I've never watched it before, and only made it to the first ad break. Aside from the fact that Louis Spence is too stupid to be alive, I thought it was occasionally a rare example of honesty on tv.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Tom_Servo 22 Jul 2012 13:48:01 18,083 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The amount of money hidden off-shore from the taxman is apparently... at least 13tn

Worth taking with a pinch of salt since it's taken from a report by the Tax Justice Network, who don't sound very impartial (whoever they are). However, it was written by a former economic consultant and expert on the issue of tax havens, so who knows! I imagine it's in the right ballpark anyway, TBH.

This bit's pretty sad:

The detailed analysis in the report... suggests that for many developing countries the cumulative value of the capital that has flowed out of their economies since the 1970s would be more than enough to pay off their debts to the rest of the world.
  • LeoliansBro 22 Jul 2012 14:02:55 44,742 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That appears to be the amount of money that has ever been hidden offshore. And yes, the source is hardly impartial.

More importantly that's an utterly meaningless statistic. Because they're quoting globally, 'moved offshore' is merely a proxy for 'put somewhere with a lower tax rate than where it originated'.

And as always, it is entirely legal.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• RedSparrows 22 Jul 2012 14:16:12 23,887 posts
    Seen 43 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Produced by an ex McKinsey man rather than that group per se.
  • Load_2.0 22 Jul 2012 14:51:05 19,520 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ex Mckinsey is a pretty good pedigree.

I don't think something being legal makes it immune from criticism.

I am materialistic, greedy and integrated part of the system but I am glad all these practices are under the spotlight if only for a moment.

But we have already had this discussion in the Carr thread.
  • Page

of 9 First / Last

Next