Okami HD remake Page 5

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• FuzzyDuck 7 Nov 2012 18:27:41 3,901 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just out of curiosity, does it run at its oringinal 30FPS, or does it get a bump up to 60?
  • SomaticSense 7 Nov 2012 19:14:00 7,959 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It seems to be running at a consistent 30fps. Which funnily enough I think is perfect for the artstyle. I'm not sure 60fps in this rare case would be preferable.

Regardless though, it looks gorgeous. I can't think of another game which would've benefited more from a HD reworking, and certainly can't think of another recent HD remake that looks as amazing as this. Probably Xenoblade Chronicles would come a distant second.

It's by some way the most beautiful game I've ever seen. It actually manages to take the already stunning looking art style from the PS2/Wii versions and makes it just flat out orgasmic to look at in motion. To the point where I would suggest anyone who didn't 'get' it before (maybe those who gave up after a measly hour *ahem*...) give it another shot, as I'm sure the aesthetics alone will now keep people playing enough to see that it's one of the greatest games of the last decade.

A HD remake that actually looks like a current gen game? Is that a first?

Edited by SomaticSense at 19:19:01 07-11-2012
  • King_Edward 7 Nov 2012 19:20:26 11,454 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Does Halo count? Maybe God of War 2, but not in the same way.
  • FuzzyDuck 7 Nov 2012 19:24:53 3,901 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'd say an HD spit and shine of Viewtiful Joe would also look the business.

Figures they kept the framerate at 30, lends to the cinematic appeal of the game, similar to Ico. I really need to get this.
  • SomaticSense 7 Nov 2012 19:33:29 7,959 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd say Halo: CE was a bigger upgrade from the original and required the most amount of work due to the almost wholesale reworking of the textures and skyboxes. But Okami looks miles nicer in general and benefits far more from HD. But yeah, I guess it did look like a current gen game, just not a top tier one. This one though destroys most current gen games with it sheer good looks.

I can't comment on GoW2 as I neither played the original or the remake.

The most impressive thing about this HD remake though, is that they didn't seem to need to put a huge amount of work into it to make it look even better than most current gen games. The animation was already stunning as is, so all it needed was a resolution upgrade and general sprucing up for it to look as staggering as it does. Which shows just how much Clover managed with the PS2 version.

Edited by SomaticSense at 19:38:57 07-11-2012
  • ecureuil 7 Nov 2012 22:48:18 76,520 posts
    Seen 29 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is it worth playing with the Move?
  • andywilkie35 8 Nov 2012 00:41:54 5,338 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The God of War and MGS Collections (most noticeably MGS 3) look current gen I'd say.

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Telepathic.Geometry 8 Nov 2012 01:24:52 11,270 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I would argue that God of War III is little more than a HD remake in places...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• JoeGBallad 16 Nov 2012 10:33:21 383 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If anybody is interested, I made a lovely wee video about Okami HD. You can watch it here if you have a spare 5 minutes :)

Yet again, apologies for the horrid self-promotion. I'm a chronic arse.

I'd say that Okami HD is, along with MGS HD and only 1 or 2 others, the 'definitive' version of the game, and that's something special :)

If you aren't utterly disgusted by me please check out my videogames show at:

www.youtube.com/BitSocket

• Gambit1977 16 Nov 2012 10:36:03 9,583 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    A HD remake of Wind Waker would look stunning.
  • dominalien 16 Nov 2012 10:41:31 6,836 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nice.

edit: @Joe.

Edited by dominalien at 10:42:49 16-11-2012

PSN: DonOsito

• Luckyjim 16 Nov 2012 10:44:53 2,872 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It would. Just can't see Nintendo doing it :(
  • dominalien 16 Nov 2012 10:47:49 6,836 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Maybe in some years, when a few generations have passed. Like they did with Ocarina.

PSN: DonOsito

• Gambit1977 16 Nov 2012 10:55:28 9,583 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Luckyjim wrote:
    It would. Just can't see Nintendo doing it :(
    I'm not so sure. I never thought they'd make a HD console :lol:
    And let's be honest, if Capcom keep releasing a game that was never a massive success sales wise, there's always hope!
  • JoeGBallad 16 Nov 2012 11:39:21 383 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Oh man, now you've got me excited at the prospect of an HD Wind Waker. My stauner will not go away.

• Gambit1977 16 Nov 2012 11:45:58 9,583 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    :lol: Sir Jimmy, is that you?

I think WW is the prettiest game I've ever played. Never really took to the colouring of Okami. It was all a bit word art to me.
  • King_Edward 16 Nov 2012 13:02:00 11,454 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Platinum/Clover are currently claiming all my future gaming time. After I polish this off I've downloaded Godhand too. Then I have Max Anarchy and Revengence on pre-order. After they're all done with I'll be grabbing a Wii U and waiting for P-100 and Bayonetta.

Seriously, why does anyone else bother?
  • JoeGBallad 16 Nov 2012 14:15:13 383 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Platinum/Clover games have been some of the best for the past few years. The other night I played Vanquish for the first time in ages, and it just blew everything else I was playing out the water. Can't wait for Anarchy Reigns and Revengeance.

• SomaticSense 19 Nov 2012 14:53:33 7,959 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Is it worth playing with the Move?
    If it uses the terrible 'waggle to attack' controls like the Wii version, then no way.

But if it uses a face button then that would easily be the way to go. The celestial brush controls were fantastic.
  • King_Edward 20 Nov 2012 20:03:20 11,454 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tobi! :'(
  • B0rked_Gamer 14 Feb 2013 06:28:31 2,483 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just started this. Hopefully I finish this time around 'cause on PS2 I lost it with a blockhead on some island and rage quit.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 14 Feb 2013 06:34:31 11,270 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm ashamed to admit it but the last blockhead I defeated with my iPhone. Back in the day, I got my girlfriend to take the first four points... It's all good. I heard blockhead kicks puppies...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• ecureuil 14 Feb 2013 13:24:11 76,520 posts
    Seen 29 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I used to record them with my camera. It's really tough trying to do it legit, no shame in taking the easy way out.
  • Trafford 7 Jun 2013 11:34:44 5,622 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm playing through this for the first time.
    True gaming manna, you don't get many experiences like this in a generation.

Playing it on my 46" Ambilight TV, with a new Soundbar attached, happy times.
  • CharlieStCloud 7 Jun 2013 11:50:03 5,077 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Trafford wrote:

Sorry to go off topic a little bit however, this Ambilight TV you have, which model is it if you do not mind my asking?

... I am in the market for a new television as my dear old Panasonic HDTV is getting on a bit. She will be eight years old at the end of this month, bless.

Pleased you are thoroughly enjoying Okami too!
  • Trafford 7 Jun 2013 11:55:17 5,622 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @CharlieStCloud
    It's a Philips 6000 series.
  • PaletteSwap 7 Jun 2013 19:36:01 17 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Trafford wrote:

I'm in that boat. I picked it up when it released on PSN, ignored it after a couple of hours probably because some new shiny game had just released, saw it go up on PS , kept ignoring it and a couple of weeks ago, I launched it for some obscure reason (which might or might not be "let's play a 50 hour game to clear a few gigs on the HDD). Oh, do I feel stupid for not playing it sooner.

It's been a really great ride, the fights can get old at times but the world and the overall design are so charming that it's been a genuine pleasure playing it.

I'm right before what I assume is the last dungeon and going through the process of cleaning things up. Is it me or does that last devil trial look reeeaaaally long? I have yet to do all the fishing, which looks like quite a handful, even to these seasoned Persona fisher.

Regarding sound, a pity the game is stereo only. That might have been the (stupidly shallow) reason I dropped it the first time.

Playing it on a 50GT50 panny, it looks great. I'd recommend that set, except it does have some retention. Assassin's creed III tried its best to burn in that awful flashy white health bar that never disappears. I read the 2013 models (60 series) don't suffer nearly as much from that.

Edited by PaletteSwap at 19:40:31 07-06-2013
  • danathjo 25 Jun 2013 21:41:14 7,230 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Okay, let's try this again
    didn't even make it past the intro last time

Wife out at dinner, toddler asleep, glass of wine, furiously bashing X while typing this waiting for the bloody 'game' to start

I just hope it's as Zeldary as described as really feel like playing a Zelda but sold all my Nintendo machines!
  • danathjo 25 Jun 2013 21:52:22 7,230 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yes!
    Made hit to the first save point, it was worth it
  • danathjo 25 Jun 2013 22:18:59 7,230 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    bloody hell, is this still the intro
  • Page

of 6 First / Last