Microsoft Surface Page 4

• Page

of 21 First / Last

• Fab4 19 Jun 2012 09:31:21 5,996 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Fab4 wrote:
    Does anyone know how much they will cost?
    Pro model will be between 800 and 1000
    Source? or just speculation?
  • Deleted user 19 June 2012 09:31:28
    1000?

Why would anyone, no matter how much money they have, buy a tablet for that?
  • mcmonkeyplc 19 Jun 2012 09:35:28 39,440 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cause it's not just a tablet. It runs proper programs?

Come and get it cumslingers!

• roz123 19 Jun 2012 09:36:13 7,112 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It has to be said the name aint great and at the end of the day thats a big deal for the kind of person who buys an iPad
  • Deleted user 19 June 2012 09:36:34
    Like laptops that are far more powerful and can be upgraded then.
  • Razz 19 Jun 2012 09:38:08 61,073 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Finally, a decent tablet. I'm interested, not buying first model though. Been burnt enough times as an early adoptor to know better.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• mrpon 19 Jun 2012 09:39:28 28,765 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Because it looks sexy Aargh. I can see potential for demoing [business] software on these at exhibitions, it'll certainly attract the crowds.

But yeah, take your point on upgradability.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• silentbob 19 Jun 2012 09:39:35 28,956 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    roz123 wrote:
    It has to be said the name aint great and at the end of the day thats a big deal for the kind of person who buys an iPad
    The RT version (closer to the iPad in specs / functionality) will be about the price you'd expect to pay for a high-end tablet.

I think this highlights one of the issues, confusion about the two different versions of tablet and OS. This needs to be made clear to consumers.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• Razz 19 Jun 2012 09:39:51 61,073 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    On the Metro apps front...shouldn't these explode into being after the release of Windows 8?

It's going to be the number 1 OS in the world so devs would develop for it as a no brainer wouldn't they?
    That's what one would think about Android, but dev's are pu**ies. They'll stick with their fruity products. However, they won't be able to use the fragmentation argument they used with Android.

• robthehermit 19 Jun 2012 09:41:18 4,037 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    On the Metro apps front...shouldn't these explode into being after the release of Windows 8?

It's going to be the number 1 OS in the world so devs would develop for it as a no brainer wouldn't they?
    Which is why I'd be okay with the RT version.

If it's priced around the 300 mark. I expect they'll aim more at the Apple price point though which would be a shame. A 300ish tablet running Office RT, a half decent web browser, Smart Glass and access to my Zune library would be a no brainer.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• mcmonkeyplc 19 Jun 2012 09:43:41 39,440 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah good point about Android. I'll wait a while till I get the RT version.

It's not like my Galaxy tab is going to die anytime soon.

If I win some fat bonus though, I'll go for the non-upgradable laptop option.

:)

Edited by mcmonkeyplc at 09:49:00 19-06-2012

• Rusty_M 19 Jun 2012 09:48:33 4,651 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This is interesting. Other half wants an iPad but loves her windows phone. It all depends on price and possibly it's app store.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• THFourteen 19 Jun 2012 09:49:07 33,196 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fab4 wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    Fab4 wrote:
    Nah, straight from microsoft
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-57455801-501465/who-is-the-microsoft-surface-for-exactly/

The company says Surface will be competitive with comparable ARM tablets for the RT device and the Windows 8 Pro version will hold its own against ultrabooks with similar specs
    Ultrabooks are going to cost around 800-1000.
  • silentbob 19 Jun 2012 09:49:22 28,956 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:

Which is why I'd be okay with the RT version.

If it's priced around the 300 mark. I expect they'll aim more at the Apple price point though which would be a shame. A 300ish tablet running Office RT, a half decent web browser, Smart Glass and access to my Zune library would be a no brainer.
    You can count on the usual suspects (Office etc.) being available in Metro versions, so the chance of it being functional out of the box on release day are pretty high.

I'd take issue with the statement that it'll be the No. 1 OS in the world. The Pro (Intel) version certainly will be, but RT has to grow it's mobile OS market from scratch (or at least join the convergent Windows Phone 7 bubble).

• silentbob 19 Jun 2012 09:50:57 28,956 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Fab4 wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    Fab4 wrote:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-57455801-501465/who-is-the-microsoft-surface-for-exactly/

The company says Surface will be competitive with comparable ARM tablets for the RT device and the Windows 8 Pro version will hold its own against ultrabooks with similar specs
    Ultrabooks can and will be priced much higher than that though. I think you're probably right, but it is just speculation at this stage.

I'd bet money on the RT surface being 400 and up.

• Chopsen 19 Jun 2012 09:53:57 15,871 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The real issue is battery life, build quality, performance, reliability.

Looks nice, but shiny pictures of tech can go fuck themselves.
  • silentbob 19 Jun 2012 10:01:25 28,956 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    To be fair, shiny IS the real issue at the moment (this is the Surface's primary goal right now). The reality of the rest comes much later.

Performance will be excellent for both models and I'm willing to bet the amount of R&D spent by MS and their emphasis on it means the build quality will be top notch.

• silentbob 19 Jun 2012 10:04:37 28,956 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:

That's what one would think about Android, but dev's are pu**ies. They'll stick with their fruity products. However, they won't be able to use the fragmentation argument they used with Android.
    Devs will go where the cool stuff AND the money is. Until ICS Google fucked them over royally with a confused mess of a platform to develop for.

Android won't be able to match MS for functional and productivity software out of the gate.

Of course, there's no guarantee the RT Vs Pro platform won't be equally as messy. Let's hope not.

• Fab4 19 Jun 2012 10:06:55 5,996 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    To be fair, shiny IS the real issue at the moment (this is the Surface's primary goal right now). The reality of the rest comes much later.

Performance will be excellent for both models and I'm willing to bet the amount of R&D spent by MS and their emphasis on it means the build quality will be top notch.
    xbox 360 build quality levels? ;)
  • robthehermit 19 Jun 2012 10:08:45 4,037 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No mention of a sim card slot though. Which is a shame as there might have been a slim chance of a subsidized tablet with a data contract, also my Lumia 800 doesn't support tethering.

Christmas could be good this year though, Mrs Hermit is due an upgrade which means I'll be getting whatever new shiny Nokia come up with (/fanboy), also the possibility of my first tablet. \o/

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• silentbob 19 Jun 2012 10:17:31 28,956 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fab4 wrote:
    silentbob wrote:

xbox 360 build quality levels? ;)
    Clearly this is one of the bigger PR nightmares it's going to have to tackle. :)

• Razz 19 Jun 2012 10:22:16 61,073 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rusty_M wrote:
    This is interesting. Other half wants an iPad but loves her windows phone. It all depends on price and possibly it's app store.
    Should be some interesting apps coming out. The paperclip has to get its own app, for sure! "I see that you've discovered ennui and cognitive dissonance at the same time. Would you like to ..."

• The-Bodybuilder 19 Jun 2012 10:24:54 14,136 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They would.
    Many apps are being ported into metro as we speak.
  • silentbob 19 Jun 2012 10:30:09 28,956 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I suspect porting to Metro is probably fairly trivial for a lot of apps. Others might be more challenging.

• mcmonkeyplc 19 Jun 2012 10:45:07 39,440 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    I suspect porting to Metro is probably fairly trivial for a lot of apps. Others might be more challenging.
    He speaks the truth Ipad app to metro

They appear to be serious about this windows 8 thing :)

Competition makes me moist!

• Dirtbox 19 Jun 2012 10:52:30 77,712 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Fab4 wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    Fab4 wrote:

So, complete speculation then. Absolute penis.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• silentbob 19 Jun 2012 10:57:27 28,956 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I actually meant Windows -> Windows 8 RT. But that link is encouraging too.

• RyanDS 19 Jun 2012 12:14:21 9,257 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bollocks.

Was all set to buy an iPad 3 this week, but now I like the look of this thing.

Question is, will it have Baldur's Gate? (As that was the line that tipped the iPad from interesting to MUST HAVE territory for me.)
  • Peew971 19 Jun 2012 14:02:28 4,710 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ryandsimmons wrote:
    Bollocks.

Was all set to buy an iPad 3 this week, but now I like the look of this thing.

Question is, will it have Baldur's Gate? (As that was the line that tipped the iPad from interesting to MUST HAVE territory for me.)
    Get your iPad dude, there's nothing definite today as to what will and will not be available for Windows tablets. You can still check out Surface 2 in a year or two.
  • Page

of 21 First / Last