• StringBeanJean 4 Nov 2012 22:00:03 1,777 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • anon_ 5 Nov 2012 09:29:20 211 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My Surface has finally, erm, surfaced!

And ain't she a beaut to hold. Smaller and thinner than I thought it would be.

No HDMI socket though? That for Pro model only? Oh well, am sure I can get some kind of an adapter for the tee vee.

Before I set it all up later, quick one on my laptop - how many computers can I simultaneously sync and run Xbox music off with the one login?
  • Peew971 5 Nov 2012 13:11:32 4,776 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Never tried two computers but I tried simultaneous use of Xbox Music on:

- PC and 360: Both work fine, no conflict
    - PC and Windows Phone: Both work fine, no conflict
    - 360 and Windows Phone: Conflicted, only one of them would play.

Might not help you, might help someone else :D
  • anon_ 5 Nov 2012 13:17:05 211 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bit of a mini review this, but after a couple of hours play, I can say this about Surface and Windows RT: like Windows Phone before it, I think it excels over the iPad in two key ways:

1) It's very touchable. Between the live tiles and the clean modern UI apps - which I personally find more fun and engaging than a grid of apps and menu bars - you just want to play with it constantly

2) Following from the above point, it also feels very 'Tablet 2.0-ish', in that it feels more capable and versatile than an iPad. Little things, like the ability to snap your music/IM conversations off to the side while you browse the web or do sums in Excel, or the obvious example of the stand and Touch Cover, which is a lot more usable than I thought it would be, turning the device into a mildly useful small laptop (and while obviously not the real deal, it can be used on your lap fine, just about).

Obvious drawbacks of course are the relative lack of apps, full desktop functionality for legacy and power users, and 3/4G data connectivity.

Personally, I don't use a lot of apps myself, so the suite of stock apps satisfy most of my needs (Xbox Music being a particular delight), and I can't run away from the bloated Intel/desktop paradigm fast enough. As for 3/4G, guess I'll have to be a sucker and wait for Surface 2 for that, but in the meantime, I'm hoping the new Windows Phones will tether easily via Bluetooth at least.

All-in-all, I am impressed with the Surface RT, think it's a lovely to use and capable device, and my Core i7 laptop has been well and truly relegated to the status of backup computer.

Conclusion: A few if's, for sure, but if you're after a lightweight and more versatile iPad-like tablet experience in Microsoft's growing ecosystem, and don't mind/aren't fussed about the wait for the app deluge to arrive, then I highly recommend one.

Edited by anon_ at 13:27:31 05-11-2012
  • Fab4 5 Nov 2012 13:56:34 6,077 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No offence, but if an RT Surface is replacing your Core i7 laptop, then perhaps the laptop was over-specced for your needs.
  • THFourteen 5 Nov 2012 14:10:22 33,439 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2228121/Couple-conceive-stunned-doctors-reveal-husbands-LAPTOP-cooking-sperm.html
  • sport 5 Nov 2012 14:22:29 12,734 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2228121/Couple-conceive-stunned-doctors-reveal-husbands-LAPTOP-cooking-sperm.html
    Second photo - "Let's play, Puppy says"

/smash
  • anon_ 5 Nov 2012 14:47:26 211 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Fab4 wrote:
    No offence, but if an RT Surface is replacing your Core i7 laptop, then perhaps the laptop was over-specced for your needs.
    You'd think my laptop should be over-specced, wouldn't you? Only really use it for media consumption and light Office work. Yet, with a few internet tabs open and Zune playing, it frequently grinds to a halt. Am done with it.
  • Ror1984 5 Nov 2012 15:04:53 3,371 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @anon_ It's a micro HDMI socket, so you can plump for Microsoft's 35 adaptor, or just get a micro-to-HDMI cable from Amazon for a couple of quid.

Good to hear you're enjoying your Surface, as am I. Some reviews have left me genuinely baffled. Last night, I typed out 1,200 words in Word with the tablet and touch cover on my lap. Apparently these things aren't possible.

FFXIV: ARR - Khroma Midgard, Odin.

• anon_ 5 Nov 2012 21:38:31 211 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thanks Ror, guess I better take back the standard HDMI cable I bought then!

I'm very much enjoying it. Some of the more grudging, nit-picky reviews read like they've got Only Apple blinkers on. It needs more apps for sure, and mobile data connectivity would make it truly mobile, but other than that it's pretty full-featured for a v1 product, and if you're fine with those limitations then it really comes down to what ecosystem and/or UI you prefer.
  • Ror1984 5 Nov 2012 23:36:05 3,371 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @anon_ I don't know if you've read The Verge's review, but it's utterly moronic in places. But then it was Joshua Topolsky reviewing it. I actually found Engadget's review to be pretty fair, though I've not suffered any of the problems they (or indeed Rich Leadbetter) encountered. I wonder if they had duff units. Anandtech probably had the most thorough review - it was something like nine pages long.

Mobile data is a baffling omission. I wouldn't use it, but I'm sure plenty would, so you think they'd have covered that. The tablet's not for everyone (but then what is?), but for me it's better than the iPad 3 my dad has. I'm also finding the Modern UI an absolute joy to use, and battery life is very good - I watched an hour of 720p video the other night and battery dropped by 8% - my i5-based tablet probably would've been on its knees.

As for apps, it's definitely a little barren right now. I don't use a great deal of apps, but I'd love a Halo Waypoint app, especially as the site runs on Silverlight, which won't run on the Surface RT.

• Dirtbox 6 Nov 2012 09:09:09 78,209 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    32gb Surface only has 16gb of space

Thanks to 16gb being the windows install. I'd call that a pretty big fail.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• IMO 6 Nov 2012 09:16:15 5,667 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Does that include the Office components?
  • mcmonkeyplc 6 Nov 2012 09:19:41 39,457 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Also it can use SD cards and USB sticks as storage as well can't it?

Come and get it cumslingers!

• tincanrocket 6 Nov 2012 09:28:12 3,005 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    32gb Surface only has 16gb of space

Thanks to 16gb being the windows install. I'd call that a pretty big fail.
    WTF? I thought Windows 8 was meant to be shedding some of the bloatware? Is that the RT or Pro version? Pro I could vaguely understand, but if it is RT then that is indeed epic fail.
  • LetsGo 6 Nov 2012 09:30:51 5,217 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MS, the kings of /facepalm.
  • THFourteen 6 Nov 2012 09:32:17 33,439 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Heh. Chuckletastic.
  • Deleted user 6 November 2012 09:32:19
    That is incredible.
  • Dirtbox 6 Nov 2012 09:53:57 78,209 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    IMO wrote:
    No. That's just the OS.

• Dirtbox 6 Nov 2012 09:54:49 78,209 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Yeah, spose. What's your point?

• THFourteen 6 Nov 2012 10:02:39 33,439 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    IMO wrote:
    No. That's just the OS.
    Yes it does:

Windows RT, Microsoft Office and built-in apps -8
  • mcmonkeyplc 6 Nov 2012 10:34:33 39,457 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Yeah, spose. What's your point?
    In terms of space it's not as limited as the ipad...but that's just clutching at straws.

/MS facepalm

Come and get it cumslingers!

• The-Bodybuilder 6 Nov 2012 15:42:19 14,202 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As THF showed, it's not just the OS, but Office and the in-built apps. Not surprising especially with Office.

And tbh, I can get a pretty cheap SD Card for a sufficient size to add to it. Not that much as a big deal as some make out, IMO.
  • oceanmotion 6 Nov 2012 16:08:07 15,951 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    System restore and clean back up as well.

They should have gone 64GB standard. Probably costs them little. Just going to be a pain in the arse in the long run with 16GB. SD cards can't be used for apps.
  • robthehermit 7 Nov 2012 09:26:36 4,075 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Verge are reporting that there is a 7" Xbox Surface specifically geared towards gaming on it's way. Apparently the Xbox offices are under lockdown for testing.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Moot_Point 7 Nov 2012 09:45:27 4,106 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    anon_ wrote:
    Fab4 wrote:
    You'd think my laptop should be over-specced, wouldn't you? Only really use it for media consumption and light Office work. Yet, with a few internet tabs open and Zune playing, it frequently grinds to a halt. Am done with it.
    I'm sorry, but an i3 laptop would have been better suited to do basic functions (web browsing, office work and "media consumption" ). Your stench is one with more money than sense. Glad you found a calculator that suits your needs.

Edited by Moot_Point at 09:45:57 07-11-2012

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• anon_ 8 Nov 2012 11:06:35 211 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Post deleted
  • axman303 12 Nov 2012 17:47:28 113 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Some news about the sales of Surface so far:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/12/ballmer_modest_surface_sales/
  • Ror1984 12 Nov 2012 19:29:26 3,371 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's unlikely to sell massive numbers of units while you can only buy it directly from Microsoft.

• Deleted user 12 November 2012 19:33:47
    And they didn't let anyone order it until 3 months after they announced it.
  • Page

of 21 First / Last