Microsoft Surface Page 8

• Page

of 21 First / Last

• Deleted user 20 June 2012 16:22:06
    Fab4 wrote:

Cintiq my arse. I have a Cintiq and this will be nothing like it in terms of accuracy.
    Hyperbole on my part, but this could very well be enough for most people. It'll likely be 128 degree sensitivity, same as a Samsung Note, and only it's 600dpi sampling rather than the 5000+ of a Cintiq. But still, it turns off touch sensitivity when the pen's in use and could be a nice little all-in-one device for creatives wanting to knock up a quick digital sketch on the go
  • Lexx87 20 Jun 2012 16:30:50 20,869 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was after something more like the Gilette Fusion Glide 360 degree for sensitive skin, with full dpi sampling and at least 7500+

Speak the truth hussy!

• sanctusmortis 22 Jun 2012 00:12:13 9,628 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Rhythm wrote:
    mrpon wrote:
    Adamical wrote:
    the pen!
    Huh?
    That's what's grabbing my attention. With a Note-style pressure-senstive stylus this is a tablet, a PC and a Cintiq
    Just read about it now, thought they would've mentioned it on the official site.
    I see a really expensive way to play Draw Something, which gives me a sad as you know that is what most people think straight away.

Man oh man, if they can make that RT one competitive (~300) I want, nay, NEED one.
  • spamdangled 22 Jun 2012 00:14:09 27,276 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm all for getting the Pro model, but it really depends on the price and whether I can get it on contract with my mobile provider (fuck stumping up the cash up front)

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• ilmaestro 22 Jun 2012 04:02:22 32,407 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I love paying 800 for 400 items by paying indirectly via mobile phone companies.

• Fab4 22 Jun 2012 09:22:06 5,990 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    I'm all for getting the Pro model, but it really depends on the price and whether I can get it on contract with my mobile provider (fuck stumping up the cash up front)
    Will providers sell them if they are "wifi only"?
  • robthehermit 22 Jun 2012 09:40:36 4,035 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ilmaestro wrote:
    Yeah, I love paying 800 for 400 items by paying indirectly via mobile phone companies.
    That always amuses me.

"I'd like handset X please"
    "Certainly Sir, the handset will be free and your monthly bill will be 20"
    "I'd also like a free PS3"
    "Of course Sir. The handset will now cost 200 and your monthly bill will be 30"

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• sport 22 Jun 2012 13:12:17 12,687 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If true, MS will be dropping the ball BIG TIME.

http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-surface-will-be-wifi-only-and-start-at-599-report-2012-6
  • oceanmotion 22 Jun 2012 14:06:15 15,803 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Really, aside from wifi access, tethering on phones, mobile internet adapter. I honestly don't think it's a deal breaker for most interested parties. Still, things might change before release.

I honestly don't see MS selling these in big numbers or outside the US, at least initially.
  • ilmaestro 22 Jun 2012 14:19:19 32,407 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yup, I would buy a wi-fi only option anyway, over a more expensive 3G+wi-fi. Why would I want to pay for another data contract?

• robthehermit 22 Jun 2012 14:19:49 4,035 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No sim card slot isn't a massive problem, as ocean says, most people have some sort of alternative connection anyway.

• robthehermit 22 Jun 2012 14:20:35 4,035 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It does need to be much nearer the 300 mark though.

• grey_matters 22 Jun 2012 14:21:05 3,690 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    ilmaestro wrote:
    That always amuses me.

On the other hand, there are deals out there. I got my s2 last year for free on a 24 month contract for 23 per month which works out at 550-ish which is around the value of the phone at the time. More texts/calls than I use and "unlimited" (reduced to 10GB per month) data for those 2 years too.

Edit: which is all off-topic

Edited by grey_matters at 14:23:02 22-06-2012
  • Anthony_UK 22 Jun 2012 14:33:35 2,479 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Really do fancy one of the these, but the lack of details is just plain annoying.

The report yesterday from the Acer CEO claiming that he believes Microsoft isn't even serious about hardware and this is there attempt to give other hardware manufactures a spec to aim for, at which point Microsoft will bow out, could be rubbish but also slightly worrying
  • sport 22 Jun 2012 14:43:04 12,687 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    It does need to be much nearer the 300 mark though.
    This is really more my point. Just seems that it's gonna be ridiculously high, esp the Pro model which is what I'd prefer.
  • DodgyPast 22 Jun 2012 18:01:52 8,447 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    grey_matters wrote:
    robthehermit wrote:
    ilmaestro wrote:
    That always amuses me.

On the other hand, there are deals out there. I got my s2 last year for free on a 24 month contract for €23 per month which works out at €550-ish which is around the value of the phone at the time. More texts/calls than I use and "unlimited" (reduced to 10GB per month) data for those 2 years too.

Edit: which is all off-topic
    My S2 cost 300 quid out right in October, but then phones are relatively cheap over hear, S3 can be found for 400.

Having said that still an awesome deal.

Edited by DodgyPast at 18:03:08 22-06-2012
  • The-Bodybuilder 24 Jun 2012 08:56:23 14,129 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anthony_UK wrote:
    The report yesterday from the Acer CEO claiming that he believes Microsoft isn't even serious about hardware and this is there attempt to give other hardware manufactures a spec to aim for, at which point Microsoft will bow out, could be rubbish but also slightly worrying
    It's bollocks.
    There's one thing that MS has learned especially with WP7 is that consumers don't buy phones because of its OS, they buy a product because of the product. The vast majority bought an iPhone because it's an iPhone, not because of iOS. Same for Android.

MS learned this with the WP7 launch. Expecting people to be interested in the OS, it hoped the OEM's would produce great handsets. They didn't. The just made android-copies for them.
    The wider public only started getting interested in WP7 only when the lumia came out as the marquee handset. Now people say "is that the lumia/new nokia handset?" Rather than "windows phone".

Fact is MS knows they can't truly rely on its partners to sell W8. Just as android has it's marquee products in Galaxy S3 and Tab, it needs one for W8 for tablets. Think about it, w8 for tablet has been widely known for months now, but the public is only know taking notice because of Surface.

MS needs Surface.
  • masterson 24 Jun 2012 09:37:08 180 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't understand why everyone is getting so excited about these without knowing the cost, battery life or even what software will be available - to my mind the three most important criteria of a new mobile platform. As for the "OMG it's got a keyboard" - if you recall we already had lightweight mobile devices with a keyboard running Windows - "net books". Seeing comments like "You'll be able to play Diablo 3 on a tablet" makes me laugh too - what kind of framerate are you expecting to see?
  • Ka-blamo 24 Jun 2012 10:09:46 7,314 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago

Ouch :$
  • Dirtbox 24 Jun 2012 10:35:53 77,686 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anthony_UK wrote:
    Really do fancy one of the these, but the lack of details is just plain annoying.

Even if that were true, the current specing of every type of PC hardware has been in desperate need for some sort of standardisation since the 486 days because it's a jungle of under and over-achieving nonsense right now, and it's something that Apple managed to capitalise on in the earlier days of OSX and currently with the ipad/pod/phone. Bringing some sort of parity and focus is easily the most healthy thing they can do for PCs, software and their users.

Edited by Dirtbox at 10:40:54 24-06-2012

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• RyanDS 24 Jun 2012 10:52:06 9,207 posts
    Seen 7 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Anthony_UK wrote:

Even if that were true, the current specing of every type of PC hardware has been in desperate need for some sort of standardisation since the 486 days because it's a jungle of under and over-achieving nonsense right now, and it's something that Apple managed to capitalise on in the earlier days of OSX and currently with the ipad/pod/phone. Bringing some sort of parity and focus is easily the most healthy thing they can do for PCs, software and their users.
    This is a good point.

I'm a reasonable computer geek who has built his own computer 6 or 7 times since the 90's from scratch and I have no idea what is a good cpu these days. It used to be quite easy to identify what was good in the 286 / 386 / 486 and even early pentium days.

A few months back went to build myself a new PC and gave up, comparisons were just too hard and I went for the iMac just for the ease and set up a dual boot. And if I am semi knowledgable and gave up I dread to think what it is like for the average PC shopper. Hence the huge appeal of Dell etc I suppose.
  • THFourteen 26 Jul 2012 18:17:05 33,175 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    T3 predicting 1200 cost for the premium model based on a leak
  • Deleted user 26 July 2012 18:21:18
    Glol MS really are losing it.
  • THFourteen 26 Jul 2012 18:24:46 33,175 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I dont know what you were expecting. Its an ultrabook with a touch screen.

Thats what they cost
  • Deckard1 26 Jul 2012 18:27:35 27,686 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Glol MS really are losing it.
    Did you really laugh out loud at that?

Hush you ponce

• neilka 26 Jul 2012 18:30:08 15,847 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A bee flew into his field of vision while he was typing his post, amusing him.

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• Deleted user 26 July 2012 18:38:19
    THFourteen wrote:

Thats what they cost
    Yeah, I just doubt - seriously doubt - MS can convince anyone to spend that type of money.
  • Deckard1 26 Jul 2012 18:39:14 27,686 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago

Hush you ponce

• Deleted user 26 July 2012 18:56:52
    mowgli wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:

Thats what they cost
    Yeah, I just doubt - seriously doubt - MS can convince anyone to spend that type of money.
    But you'll still buy one then want to return it after a week. :D
  • Page

of 21 First / Last