Questions About Second-Hand PSP

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • ExcellentBenji 16 Jun 2012 19:30:51 82 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hi

I've just taken the plunge and bought a second-hand PSP. 60 including a game, power adaptor, case and Memory Stick. I have a few questions though:

1) Is it usual for the UMD drive to be quite noisey (disc reading kind of makes a scraping noise)? I'm not sure if this could be a defective disc, faulty UMD drive (the game still loads OK) or if they are in fact noisey generally.

2) I'm getting messages now and again asking if I'm sure I want to quit the game. I've eliminated me hitting the Home button by mistake (my fingers are nowhere near it), and the only other way I've found to get this message is by opening the UMD drive (which I'm not doing intentionally). Is there another way to get this message by mistake?

I've got a month to take it back for an exchange, but don't want to look like a tit if the UMD drive is in fact, fine.

Thanks!
  • DUFFMAN5 16 Jun 2012 19:33:25 14,387 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have had a couple of psp's over the years and the noise you descripe sounds about right to me, bear in mind it may have been used for many of hours.

Make sure you get the two Syphon Filter psp games, they are ace.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• RyanDS 16 Jun 2012 19:34:02 9,052 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The drives are very noisy.

No idea about the quitting thing though.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 16 Jun 2012 19:41:09 37,302 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I shall third the "no, that drive is FUCKING NOISY" motion.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• ExcellentBenji 16 Jun 2012 20:04:53 82 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thanks guys, you put my mind at ease about the disc drive :-)

DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Make sure you get the two Syphon Filter psp games, they are ace.
    Damn! I only had a minute to choose a second-hand game (the shop was closing), and they had Splinter Cell, some old footy games and Syphon Filter. I chose Splinter Cell. :-(
  • el_pollo_diablo 16 Jun 2012 22:54:37 2,064 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The drive on mine was louder on some games than others.

But there's something iffy going on if you ask me. It shouldn't be thinking you're exiting games if you're not. Does the UMD door close properly?
  • ExcellentBenji 17 Jun 2012 13:30:24 82 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    el_pollo_diablo wrote:
    The drive on mine was louder on some games than others.

But there's something iffy going on if you ask me. It shouldn't be thinking you're exiting games if you're not. Does the UMD door close properly?
    Hi El Pollo Diablo,

Thanks for the reply. The UMD door closes fine, but isn't 'sprung'... it just pulls out. Not sure if this is normal for the door of if mine is broken in some way. I did wonder if I was catching the door while pressing the right trigger (I've got long fingers), but this isn't the case.

I'm not sure if this could be caused by a dodgy disc (I've only got one to try it out on) or whether there's a fault with the PSP.

I think I might take it back and check with another disc and if it has the same problem, replace the unit.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 17 Jun 2012 17:23:45 37,302 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What type of PSP is it? My PSP slim and lite doesn't have a sprung UMD door. In fact did the fat PSP have one?

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• pinebear 17 Jun 2012 20:14:05 8,565 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The quitting thing could mean a problem with the case pressing down on the Home button, or a dodgy contact. Fixing either means getting the screwdriver out and being delicate with the PSP's tightly packed innards.

• jonsaan 17 Jun 2012 20:19:17 25,326 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It sounds like the umd door is registering as open.

Elminate this problem by running iso files or emulators.

FCUTA!

• ExcellentBenji 18 Jun 2012 17:37:59 82 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hi

Thanks for the replies. It's a PSP-2000.

I'm going to take it back to the shop on Wednesday to try it with another disc, and if that doesn't fix it I'll ask them to swap the unit.

I'm going to use it mainly to watch video and run emulators from a memory stick, but would like it to be in full working order in case I need to trade it in at any point in the future.

Thanks for the replies - I'll post what happens at the shop once I test it out. :-)
  • el_pollo_diablo 18 Jun 2012 21:44:51 2,064 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    It sounds like the umd door is registering as open.

Elminate this problem by running iso files or emulators.
    Hahaha, I love the brutality of this response! :champ:
  • ExcellentBenji 20 Jun 2012 17:59:52 82 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    OK, so I went back to the shop and used a different UMD to test the drive. No hint of an exit screen, so looks very likely it was the game I was using before (Splinter Cell).

On the upside, managed to swap Splinter Cell for GTA Liberty City Stories, which is great.

No errors in the 20 minutes of playtime I've had so far, so it looks all good. :-)

Thanks for all the replies, an 8GB memory stick is coming soon so I can enjoy the emulator and video goodness. :-)
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next