Do you still care about Trophies/Achievements? Page 2

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• Murbal 15 Jun 2012 14:38:58 22,081 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Murbal wrote:
    Platinum trophies in PS3 games could be really special, but in the end it always seems to be a cop out of 'got every other trophy in the game'.
    That's how Sony designed them to be, though, so not really a cop out on the game maker's part.
    Fair enough. It's still pants :-(
  • Derblington 15 Jun 2012 14:39:07 21,500 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    spindle9988 wrote:
    When my 1st gamer tag got infected at about 23,000 points, I just gave up on them after creating a new one
    That would upset me far more than it should.
  • dominalien 15 Jun 2012 14:44:37 6,848 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    L_Franko wrote:
    I don't mind achievements really but there are very few that encourage me to play the game differently which is a shame. I wish they were more inventive.
    Just started Dead Space for a second playthrough becuase there is an achievement for completing it using ony the first weapon you get. I wanted to play it through again anyway because I really enjoyed it first time round but that weapon achievement just adds a little more challenge to it.
    I really liked the 1 gun playthrough in DS. Similarly, I liked the Hard Core mode in DS2. I would have done neither if there hadn't been trophies for it. So in that sense, trophies have enriched my gaming.

Like others here, I only go for ones I think I will enjoy, or at least in games I enjoy. E.g. I wasn't thrilled with a couple of trophies in UC3, but I liked the game so much I did them anyway. But if it's a game I don't enjoy very much, I tend to ignore them. Same reason I tend to buy games I want to play, but know I wouldn't want to sink endless hours into, on platforms other than PS3/PSV, in order to avoid the trophy pull. Since my first contact with this was Sony's trophies, I don't care about EA's or Steam achievements and I know I wouldn't care about MS's ones if I ever got an xbox.

PSN: DonOsito

• kinky_mong 15 Jun 2012 14:44:39 10,137 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    -cerberus- wrote:
    kinky_mong wrote:If you have the persistence to do all the Challenge Campaigns with all four characters you are a better man than me. I almost gave up on doing them with Bats because of the tedium of certain Predator Challenges.
    I actually gave up on the Combat Challenges for Arkham Asylum... They pissed me off so much I just called it quits.
    The combat challenges are a lot better in City (mainly because none of them have annoying gimmicks like the timed electric floor one in Asylum) and I really enjoy playing them as the game has one of my favourite combat systems of any game.

I hate the predator challenges though because of the limits the medal impose on you.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• GeezaTap 15 Jun 2012 14:55:41 289 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm not that bothered about getting the trophies, but I always end up reading the trophy list before I start a game.

Silly thing to do really, as you end up ruining twists etc (such as Resident Evil 5 giving away Jill coming back etc).
  • dominalien 15 Jun 2012 14:56:48 6,848 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    dominalien wrote:
    Murbal wrote:
    Platinum trophies in PS3 games could be really special, but in the end it always seems to be a cop out of 'got every other trophy in the game'.
    That's how Sony designed them to be, though, so not really a cop out on the game maker's part.
    Fair enough. It's still pants :-(
    Fair enough to you too, but actually I don't agree. A plat means a very specific thing: you got all the trophies in the main game. I have something like 1270/1760 on Dragon Age on PC and what does that mean exactly? Did I get all the achievements in the main game plus some in the DLC, or not?

Now, if the Platinum was an extra achievement not present on other platforms, that would mean the devs would have to get creative and we really don't want that. Imagine: do all the missions in Oblivion. One glitched on you? Oh, too bad. Or: complete Demon's Souls dying only once. Of course, a couple of people on the planet would get them, but I think they might become so abstract as to lose all meaning.

As is it, a plat means extra effort was made, but said effort is usually more or less achievable. So they're all right in my book.

• dominalien 15 Jun 2012 14:57:52 6,848 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    GeezaTap wrote:
    I'm not that bothered about getting the trophies, but I always end up reading the trophy list before I start a game.

Silly thing to do really, as you end up ruining twists etc (such as Resident Evil 5 giving away Jill coming back etc).
    Yes, that's why I tend to read what the secret trophies are after I complete a game once. Gives me something to aim for if I liked it, but doesn't spoil it for me.

Edit: or rather: ZOMFG Jill comes back?!?!!?

Edited by dominalien at 14:58:50 15-06-2012

• Murbal 15 Jun 2012 14:59:04 22,081 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    As is it, a plat means extra effort was made, but said effort is usually more or less achievable. So they're all right in my book.
    I can get behind that argument.
  • graysonavich 15 Jun 2012 15:03:17 7,320 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Calling all pad chewing dribblers
  • dominalien 15 Jun 2012 15:05:04 6,848 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    dominalien wrote:
    I can get behind that argument.
    Ummm... in order to FIUTA?

Edited by dominalien at 15:05:17 15-06-2012

• spindle9988 15 Jun 2012 15:08:45 3,528 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    spindle9988 wrote:
    When my 1st gamer tag got infected at about 23,000 points, I just gave up on them after creating a new one
    That would upset me far more than it should.
    It was quite painful
  • neilka 15 Jun 2012 15:20:09 15,848 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Obligatory

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• Deleted user 15 June 2012 15:23:16
    I don't see the problem with them. I was definitely confused by them at first when I picked up a 360.

However they are a harmless bit of distraction and encourage you to try the game in a different way, like hardcore mode in Fallout New Vegas and Dead Space 2. I enjoyed the 1 gun trophy for Dead Space though.

However it can ruin the immersion at times. Survival horror especially ( ironically enough after expressing my love for Dead Space ) can kill a tense moment when you hear a ping and a pretty little pic pops up with a numerical score or a trophy for your digital shelf.

Some games I do want to plat like Rayman Origins, Gravity Rush and the three Dead Spaces (Extraction) because I'm invested in them and its a good challenge. Others not so much though.
  • Trendyninja 15 Jun 2012 15:28:24 96 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Achievements are a funny thing with me. Sometimes I think I couldn't care less and then other times I just have a sudden urge to get the full 1000gs for a new game.

I went through a crazy spending spree a couple of years ago and my game collection now is at about 240 Xbox 360 games...yes, yes I know it's ridiculous and out of those I must have fully completed all achievements for about 20 games. Some of which I'm really proud of such as Red Dead Redemption, Batman: Arkham Asylum and I'm nearly at the full 1500gs for GTA IV.

But in reality...what is there really to feel proud about? It's not like you can celebrate this achievement with anyone is it?...and besides yourself who cares?
  • Trendyninja 15 Jun 2012 15:33:32 96 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It'll also be interesting to see what happens with the next gen Xbox. If Xbox Live gets a complete overhaul for the next generation could that mean all of your achievements will go? Or will your gamerscore be added onto the (speculating here) achievements for the newer console?

But just imagine for a second that everything gets shutdown and wiped to make way for the newer Xbox Live like it did for the original Xbox. How would you feel then knowing that all those hours, all those achievements, that massive gamerscore will evaporate at the flick of a switch?

Edited by Trendyninja at 15:34:45 15-06-2012
  • Aretak 15 Jun 2012 15:44:45 10,350 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's no chance that they won't be carried over to the next console. Microsoft will see them as a massive hook to get existing 360 owners to buy it, preserving and carrying over all their accomplishments to the new console instead of starting again. It'll be the same for the PS4 and trophies (heck, that's already happened with the Vita).
  • kinky_mong 15 Jun 2012 15:45:17 10,137 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Trendyninja wrote:
    It'll also be interesting to see what happens with the next gen Xbox. If Xbox Live gets a complete overhaul for the next generation could that mean all of your achievements will go? Or will your gamerscore be added onto the (speculating here) achievements for the newer console?

But just imagine for a second that everything gets shutdown and wiped to make way for the newer Xbox Live like it did for the original Xbox. How would you feel then knowing that all those hours, all those achievements, that massive gamerscore will evaporate at the flick of a switch?
    There would be nerdrage of biblical proportions if that happened. I would be pretty pissed off myself if they were needlessly wiped.

It's pretty much a certainty that the achievements system will carry over to the next Xbox though seeing as they've also been integrated with GfWL and Windows Phone games.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• Trendyninja 15 Jun 2012 15:48:43 96 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yep I think so too, it was just a food for thought comment. :)
  • robthehermit 15 Jun 2012 17:02:02 4,036 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I like hitting milestones. Not long now and I'll reach 30k. Would I play through a game multiple times just for the achievements, probably not, although I did grind Comic Jumper for the last achievement. Multiplayer achievements can do one though.

I don't look at achievement lists until I've finished or mostly finished a game for the reasons stated above. Also because if you know what you're aiming for it becomes less of an achievement and more of a task.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• FuzzyDuck 16 Jun 2012 16:06:44 4,022 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Trophies are a mixed bag for myself. I like ones that a real test of skill and i don't mind sinking a bit of time into them (on a game i really enjoy of course), for example, getting the 'Beat Zico' on Wipeout HD was a really satisfying achievement. I've about 75% of the trophies on that game, but i can't be arsed trying to Platinum it because of that crap one where you've got to get into an 8 player race with everyone in a particular ship skin - it's just chance or boosting, pointless stuff.

Likewise, i've got about 65% of the trophies on Vanquish, will probably come close to the Platinum as they're mostly skill based and i absolutely adore that game, but it has that totally naff one that involves collecting all the little statuettes - crawling around the levels looking in every nook and cranny for collectibles is NOT what this game is about, and therefore pointless.

I think i've gone for one or two grind-y trophies in the past, but i caught myself thinking 'what the hell am i doing?'. Like other posters have said, i'll never play a game because it has easy trophies, and i'll never ditch a game because it has difficult ones (because if i went by that logic i wouldn't have 80+ hours on the two Mario Galaxies!).

Now what i've wondered is are there mediocre/shite games out there that have easy trophies to encourage sales? For example i know one guy who's a bit of a trophy whore and bought Terminator Salvation purely because of its notoriously easy Platinum. The same guy also owned WWE Allstars, not because he's into wrestling, but because it was an easy Plat.
  • Deleted user 16 June 2012 16:14:59
    I am mildly addicted to achievements, but only ones that are easy to get. It is somehow satisfying when one pops up. look after complete game then get all easy ones. Never 1000 point a game cos they nearly always have a couple of grinding ones. Only games I've come close to 100% is all halo games, all bioware games, bfbc2, Alan wake. Rockstar games can poke it. Loads of stupid achievements.
  • santashi 16 Jun 2012 16:27:42 5,095 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I didn't honestly notice them all that much when I had an Xbox 360 but I've started paying a bit more attention to them recently on the two Sony systems.

It seems with most games I own completing the story will get you around 30-40% trophy completion and unless I really like the game, that's as far as I'm bothered to go. I've had my PS3 about a year now and am nowhere near to a Platinum on anything.

In a lot of cases trophy hunting would probably lead to me liking the game less. For example, I am impressed by anyone who got all the trophies in Atelier Rorona and enjoyed every minute of it given you have to go through the credits 14 times to get all the endings (and looking at a guide, have had to engineered everything closely in order to get to do it without multiple playthroughs). I'm pretty happy with the ending I got and trying to get all the rest would probably have sucked all the joy out of it for me.

On the other hand, I'm very tempted to pursue the trophies in Disgaea 3 Vita because I'm nearly 100 hours into it now, still going strong, still loving it, and rather like the idea of extra challenges.

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• convercide 16 Jun 2012 17:20:35 5,985 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I still do but not as much as I used to. I haven't played a lot of new games recently though.

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• Folant 16 Jun 2012 18:04:10 1,161 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Did rent Avatar TLA on Xbox. Mainly as a filler for my list, but hey, free 1k GS.

Suck it

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• Bulbatron 16 Jun 2012 18:09:22 836 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I like them well enough. It's nice when I get one, and if I think I can get one without going out of my way or having to put too much time into it, I'll go for them, but ultimately, I'm not that bothered. If the next generation of consoles didn't feature them, it wouldn't bother me at all.

Wow - what a mansion!

• stryker1121 16 Jun 2012 18:43:59 684 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I like them, they're kind of like a "gamer's diary" that you can look back on. But I hardly every farm for achievements. I never get more than 60-70% of the single-player cheevos, and have never platinumed a game.
  • DUFFMAN5 16 Jun 2012 19:01:33 14,571 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I did look forward to reaching 10'000 gamerpoints, in fact I put a thread on here about I think. I'm well over that now, and have to say I don't look at them all that often, but like getting them all the same. As I said earlier they are a great idea.

The best use of them was not gp but the trophies in Uncharted, I love the way they unlocked various things and modes.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Rajin 16 Jun 2012 21:51:37 619 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I just think that unlocking trophy's without a real reward(a skin, a extra level in for exsample mercenaries in RE5) isn't worth my time. I've wanted to have one platinum for a long time though, but i always sto pat 50%(i play long games that often require grinding for the trophy's, Yakuza games are a exsample and so is Resonance of Fate)
  • Page

of 7 First / Last