Do you still care about Trophies/Achievements? Page 7

• Page

of 7 First / Last

Next
  • X201 26 Feb 2013 20:13:43 15,761 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    I think that it doesn't help when a lot of them are of the "hooray you started the game! - 10pts!" variety.

IIRC, Tiger Woods gave a Silver for watching the credits.
  • PazJohnMitch 26 Feb 2013 21:16:58 8,750 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There is an Achievement for pressing start on the title screen of Soul Calibur IV.
  • Carlo 26 Feb 2013 21:22:43 18,246 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just got the achievement for Civ 5 'The once and future King' (win on King level) which I'm rather proud of.

Other than that, Achievements are mostly bollocks.

PSN ID: Djini

• CharlieStCloud 26 Feb 2013 21:25:01 5,530 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    There is an Achievement for pressing start on the title screen of Soul Calibur IV.
    Oh, that's great!

*press start* ... 100 gamer-points unlocked.

I don't go out of my way for achievements, but they are not a bad distraction on a rainy day.

Geometry Wars 2 has the best achievements in terms of variety and for how rewarding they are (once accomplished).
  • Murbs 27 Feb 2013 12:21:29 22,591 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Geometry Wars 2 has the best achievements in terms of variety and for how rewarding they are (once accomplished).
    'Wax Off' is my favourite achievement. It's certainly the one I spent longest trying to get (and succeeded naturally. We won't mention Smile).
  • imamazed 27 Feb 2013 12:29:05 5,967 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Spent a while getting 'chievs on the original Dead Rising. They were great. The actual game was only 6 hours long so the 'chievs gave a whole host of other fun things to do. I was still never aiming for 1000G, however, I think I got about 250 odd on my first playthrough, and went through to 640G, having a blast in the meantime.

Never really bothered in any other games. Did a few with LA Noire, because just through completing it once I was close to 1000G. But that wasn't much fun.

Don't really care for trophies, not a fan of the medal/percentages system, but I guess the same applies as above.
  • DUFFMAN5 16 Jun 2013 15:38:04 15,438 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Having spent more time on the PS3 than 360 these past few weeks, I have somewhat missed the "achievement graphic" popping up. I'm not sure I like the less intrusive "Trophy" graphic, it doesn't seem as meaty or American !

It is easy to see the 360 is a Yank machine, bold, brash and in your face ;)

I also think it is a lot easier to track 'cheveo's on the 360 as unless I'm missing something I can't simply pause the game when a Trophy has been earned and find out what it was for, where as on the 360 you can, as soon as the graphic/sound come up I can hit the xbox button and it takes you right to the cheveo ,description of why you have earned it.

It also seems a lot easier to compare against friends be it in game of from the dash, again I might be missing something with the PS3.

How would you like to see them implemented on ONE/PS4 or would you rather they were gone altogether.

So chaps do you prefer the Cheveo or Trophy pop. For those of you that don't give a toss, fair enough, there is nothing for you here ;)

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 17:15:00 16-06-2013

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• El_MUERkO 16 Jun 2013 15:51:34 17,152 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Never have,never will
  • RobTheBuilder 16 Jun 2013 16:02:46 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They aren't important, but I think they should remain as they have no negative impact.

You either like them or ignore them.

They work best as additional objectives for a game. Crackdown's climb the tower and jump into the sea was a perfect example.

I've definitely replayed games solely to get an achievement.
  • Carlo 16 Jun 2013 16:14:55 18,246 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Never have, never will.

PSN ID: Djini

• Mr_Sleep 16 Jun 2013 16:21:17 17,401 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    They work best as additional objectives for a game. Crackdown's climb the tower and jump into the sea was a perfect example.
    Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel about it too. I have only collected all the achievements for about three games and the only one that required me to go out of my way to get them all was Shadow Complex but I really enjoyed that game so it was quite fun to try the achievements. When I was unemployed before and couldn't afford any new games it was useful to have a reason to go back to some old games and achievements provided a good reason.

You are a factory of sadness.

• RobTheBuilder 16 Jun 2013 16:24:16 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Definitely. It's also a good motivation to keep playing more difficult settings when it gets frustrating.

They are a lot more important for single player. As I said, I see no reason whatsoever to remove them, they are easy to ignore.
  • kinky_mong 16 Jun 2013 16:29:36 10,873 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    I also think it is a lot easier to track 'cheveo's on the 360 as inless I'm missing something I can't simply pause the game when a Trophy has been earned and find out what it was for, where as on the 360 you can, as soon as the graphic/sound come up I can hit the xbox button and it takes you right to the cheveo ,description of why you have earned it.

It also seems a lot easier to compare against friends be it in game of from the dash, again I might be missing something with the PS3.
    You can still check in game but not as smoothly as on the 360. Hit the PS button and then go to the Trophy Collection under the PSN tab. It forces a sync and then you can check the game's trophies.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• FuzzyDuck 16 Jun 2013 16:32:50 4,989 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I prefer the sound of the Trophy popping to the point where I've disabled Achievements appearing on the Xbox entirely. I don't like how they appear in different places at different times.

Having said that, I don't enjoy collecting either, unless they are, as mentioned above, a sort of cool or fun challenge.

Don't like the way the Xbone will potentially give you extra content or perks for obtaining certain Achievements, but I suppose that's a moot point anyway as there's no way in hell I'd have that console in my home.
  • DUFFMAN5 16 Jun 2013 16:39:00 15,438 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    "Inless"...I of course meant unless, god I'm a cretin!

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• PazJohnMitch 16 Jun 2013 16:54:55 8,750 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Prefer Cheevos.

I would like an option to select a game and for the PS4/One to show all people on you friends list that have the game and what they have earnt on it. I find the current method of comparing against a single friend rather restrictive.

The system could also include worldwide figures like True Achievements does.
  • chrisno21 16 Jun 2013 17:06:08 1,548 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kinky_mong wrote:
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    I also think it is a lot easier to track 'cheveo's on the 360 as inless I'm missing something I can't simply pause the game when a Trophy has been earned and find out what it was for, where as on the 360 you can, as soon as the graphic/sound come up I can hit the xbox button and it takes you right to the cheveo ,description of why you have earned it.

You can still check in game but not as smoothly as on the 360. Hit the PS button and then go to the Trophy Collection under the PSN tab. It forces a sync and then you can check the game's trophies.
    If you set your trophies to 'offline' (i forget how i did it) then it doesn't synch each time you check while in games and they load up immediately for a quick check on the description.

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• Daryoon 16 Jun 2013 17:17:08 4,670 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's kinda sad that we've seemingly devolved from "beat all levels without losing a life, reach secret bonus level" to "beat all levels without losing a life, Achievement Unlocked! (Secret Level is DLC)".

Trying to unlock all the cheats in GoldenEye was awesome.
  • RobTheBuilder 16 Jun 2013 17:28:40 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think it's a shame genuine cheats have been replaced by paid assistance.

We need more up down left right a and start...
  • Syrette 5 Jul 2013 15:25:28 44,345 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I reached 100k on Xbox Live a few weeks back (thanks to Grid 2) - since then I've quit them and PSN trophies cold turkey.

Never even check trophy/achievement lists (still think it's a pleasant surprise to get a trophy for doing something in-game that isn't obvious mind).

I'm certainly not against trophies/achievements (hence starting this thread, and hence having a good 35-40 completed games on 360), it just feels like a breath of fresh air to play through games without even considering them. I know in the past I'd let cheevos take me in certain directions, rather than letting myself play through titles at my own pace and in an natural manner.

• Deleted user 5 July 2013 15:34:42
    I do like trophies, I'm currently letting it dictate me by completing the VR missions on MGS2HD but normally I'll start a game, have a quick look at some of the achievable ones, try to get them during my playthrough and if I really like the game go for more. Like others have said, gives me a good reason to go back and play a game that I've enjoyed.
  • kinky_mong 5 Jul 2013 15:42:41 10,873 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Last Of Us was a revelation for me after spending the last 6 years letting achievements dictate how I play games to varying degrees. It was great to play a game like that where I just didn't care about trophies and didn't have a niggling feeling that I should be trying to get "100 kills with the hunting rifle" while playing through.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Ashleyfiddes 5 Jul 2013 15:46:37 980 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Trophies are evil!!! i got so caught up in getting trophies for the PSV that i was buying mediocre games for it rather then actual games on the 3DS that i wanted. It wasn't until fire emblem that i realized what i was doing. For now i have broken the curse but like any addict i am just waiting for my next fix to set me on the same spiral :(
  • Flying_Pig 5 Jul 2013 16:17:53 11,537 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have a love/hate relationship with them.

When they're done well, they really do push me to play to completion, or try something different (Velocity Ultra is a prime example of this), but equally they can be implemented in a stupid and annoying way, so your game progress is in no way reflected by your Trophies/achievements (Dungeon Defenders and Ratchet & Clank QForce are both guilty of this)
  • Page

of 7 First / Last

Next