Do you still care about Trophies/Achievements?

• Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous
  • Syrette 15 Jun 2012 10:25:28 43,292 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thread title presumes that you did at one point.

From my OP's perspective, I've found that my interest in them has dwindled to the point where whilst I do still care about them, I won't be going out of my way for them. See Max Payne 3 for an example, I think I ended up with something like 400/1000 and I put plenty of hours into that.

This is in contrast to times in the past where I would go out of my way to attain an achievement, in retrospect perhaps slightly worsening the overall experience (for example playing on a difficulty level I'd rather I hadn't). And I've played through one or two titles primarily for easy achievements.

I'm not sure what I'd put this down to. I'm not busier at work, I haven't reached a magical Gamerscore target, or anything like that.

As for Trophies - well I've never cared about them at all. Quite simply they came too late, i have no time for or interest in going after two variations of the same thing.

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 15 Jun 2012 10:27:49 6,654 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Never really been overly bothered tbh. I got 100% on Call of Duty 2 though.
  • DUFFMAN5 15 Jun 2012 10:45:59 14,566 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I like them, but that is as far as it goes. I have gone back to games to whore for them and I'm sure I will continue to do so, but only ones that I have a chance of getting. I can't be arsed to spend hours going for something just so I have a little picture and some extra score.

I have always thought that they are a genius idea mind you, men (and ladies) like to collect things and that is what they are...panini stickers ;) got,got,got,need,got,want etc

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Folant 15 Jun 2012 10:48:52 1,161 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'll go for them if I think they're worth my time or I think I'd enjoy going for them.

Demon's Souls Platinum. I don't have the time or patience to fight with a game like that. So any past what I have already(I completed it.) I'm not interested in.

I platinum'd both FFXIII and FFXIII-2. I found these games fun and going for the trophies(Which is stuff I've always done in these kinds of games even before the introduction of Achievements/Trophies. Max levels, all weapons, etc.) was enjoyable for me.

Some I care about, some I don't.

Don't think I would be phased much if Gen8 did away with then though. Like I said, if I think a games content is worth my time/patience, I'll do it regardless.

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• kinky_mong 15 Jun 2012 10:55:02 10,133 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I used to be an achievement whore, and still am to some extent because getting all the achievements in a game triggers that completionist itch I've always had, but the turning point for me was grinding out the multiplayer on Saints Row 2 long after it stopped being enjoyable for the sake of an achievement.

I will still challenge myself to get hard achievements on games I like, but I won't spend ages grinding out ridiculous achievements or playing rubbish multiplayer modes just for the sake of a few extra points. I also haven't bought a poor game for easy achievements, or not bought a game just because it had difficult achievements (the latter I find utterly baffling behaviour).

Edited by kinky_mong at 10:59:23 15-06-2012

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• Deleted user 15 June 2012 10:58:55
    I like the idea, but you don't get anything for them so they're a waste. I'd rather get stuff like extra levels and characters like we used to back in the day.
  • Mr_Sleep 15 Jun 2012 10:59:04 16,933 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I found achievements very useful when I didn't have the money to buy many games and it allowed me to get a little bit more out of a game. I have only managed to get the full achievements for about three games. Anything grindy and I can't be bothered.

You are a factory of sadness.

• AceGrace 15 Jun 2012 11:01:19 1,089 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Nope. I have never actively sought out acheivements or trophies and get quite annoyed by the distracting message that appears.

Is there any way to turn them off?

Edited by AceGrace at 11:01:47 15-06-2012
  • Derblington 15 Jun 2012 11:07:24 21,500 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    AceGrace wrote:
    Is there any way to turn them off?
    Yep.
  • -cerberus- 15 Jun 2012 11:12:35 2,704 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I used to try my best to get full gamerscore or a platinum, not because I'm a whore but because I genuinely enjoy getting 110% out of my games. It's just something that carried over from past-gen; back when the achievement was the simple reward of getting a 10 star ranking on Silent Hill games, earning Gold on all Phantom tracks & challenges in Wipeout 3 and so on. The only difference with achievements is that you've got something to show for your efforts.
    I do have a couple of games on my list that are not fully completed. Mostly because of their multiplayer modes that don't appeal to me or because the game quite simply sucks. And I really don't care if their completion percentage stays at 30% or whatever.
    It's been a while since I've bought a game for any system because frankly I'm fed up with the direction in which this industry is moving. The next game on my wishlist is probably the GOTY edition of Batman: Arkham City but I don't know if I'll still feel the need to get full GS or not? Time will tell...

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• Deleted user 15 June 2012 11:13:04
    I still like achievements and will go out of my way to get the more difficult ones on games that I enjoy as long as it is a true test of skill and not something grindy.

Well thought out achievements are a good ways of extending the life of a game and I often look at them before making a purchase.
  • kinky_mong 15 Jun 2012 12:14:29 10,133 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    -cerberus- wrote:
    The next game on my wishlist is probably the GOTY edition of Batman: Arkham City but I don't know if I'll still feel the need to get full GS or not? Time will tell...
    If you have the persistence to do all the Challenge Campaigns with all four characters you are a better man than me. I almost gave up on doing them with Bats because of the tedium of certain Predator Challenges.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• Shikasama 15 Jun 2012 12:15:54 6,750 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I tend to use them as an excuse to keep playing games I like, but have probably finished with in the main sense.

So for example, my 100%s are on various Dynasty Warriors titles, because after I had done the main stuff in the gamne, gettting the achievements gave me a legitimate excuse to keep playing them past that point.

I'm long past the days where I'll go back and do multiple playthroughs for every colelctible, or kill 10,000 blue guys as a red guy. I hate trophies/cheevos like that.
  • andytheadequate 15 Jun 2012 12:20:45 8,116 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I only care about them for games I really like, but that's only because they give me something else to do or go for. In most games I couldn't care less about them.

I used to care a bit more about them but the novelty wore off I think
  • -cerberus- 15 Jun 2012 12:23:23 2,704 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    kinky_mong wrote:If you have the persistence to do all the Challenge Campaigns with all four characters you are a better man than me. I almost gave up on doing them with Bats because of the tedium of certain Predator Challenges.
    I actually gave up on the Combat Challenges for Arkham Asylum... They pissed me off so much I just called it quits.

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• psychokitten Moderator 15 Jun 2012 12:24:01 7,794 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kinky_mong wrote:
    I used to be an achievement whore, and still am to some extent because getting all the achievements in a game triggers that completionist itch I've always had, but the turning point for me was grinding out the multiplayer on Saints Row 2 long after it stopped being enjoyable for the sake of an achievement.

I will still challenge myself to get hard achievements on games I like, but I won't spend ages grinding out ridiculous achievements or playing rubbish multiplayer modes just for the sake of a few extra points. I also haven't bought a poor game for easy achievements, or not bought a game just because it had difficult achievements (the latter I find utterly baffling behaviour).
    That's a pretty healthy attitude towards them. I cared a bit, at one point, but on the whole I just can't be bothered with them most of the time now. On a title I like, if the achievements are worthwhile, it does give you that extra motivation to try the other game mode(s) or replay the game, and that can be a good thing. With Deadly Premonition for instance, it gave me an excuse to keep playing it. There are a few achievements on games I've loved over the last year that I still have to go back and play, but it means I'll make the effort to put the game in again, instead of it collecting dust on a shelf.

Before, when someone would give me a lend of a few games, I'd play the ones I otherwise wouldn't bother with too ("might as well, to get some points") and you can discover the odd gem here and there, but I just don't have the time (and don't care to) any more.
  • Sid-Nice 15 Jun 2012 12:25:43 15,852 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The barmaid at my local has enormous trophies; to get my hands on them would be an achievement.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Murbal 15 Jun 2012 12:28:37 22,078 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I still think it encourages me to see games through to the end - a game 'completion' achievement is probably the only one I really care about to be honest. But to put in the time to get 100%? Life's too short.
  • chrisno21 15 Jun 2012 13:09:47 1,492 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I look at the list to see if there is something I'd like to try but beyond that I don't care. I prefer the trophy system in terms of 100%ing a game, more obvious.

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• L_Franko Moderator 15 Jun 2012 13:36:28 9,694 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't mind achievements really but there are very few that encourage me to play the game differently which is a shame. I wish they were more inventive.
    Just started Dead Space for a second playthrough becuase there is an achievement for completing it using ony the first weapon you get. I wanted to play it through again anyway because I really enjoyed it first time round but that weapon achievement just adds a little more challenge to it.
  • Dougs 15 Jun 2012 13:37:25 67,167 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Never have, still don't.

Edit: Missed the first line of OP. Doh

Edited by Dougs at 13:43:22 15-06-2012
  • ComradePete 15 Jun 2012 13:46:51 483 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think it depends on how creative they are with the achievements - Dead Rising had some fantastic ones which made you play the game in a different way.

The 'find hundreds of things' ones are hideous though.
  • Aretak 15 Jun 2012 13:47:48 10,350 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No. Mass Effect 3 is the last game I'll ever go out of my way to get achievements for, and even then it was only for some sense of completion after doing the first two.
  • Murbal 15 Jun 2012 13:49:09 22,078 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Platinum trophies in PS3 games could be really special, but in the end it always seems to be a cop out of 'got every other trophy in the game'.
  • spindle9988 15 Jun 2012 13:51:00 3,528 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    When my 1st gamer tag got infected at about 23,000 points, I just gave up on them after creating a new one
  • dr_swin 15 Jun 2012 14:01:48 4,887 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My interest in them dwindled after the PC became so much better than the consoles - performance wise. I enjoyed collecting gamerscore but I am not going to accept an inferior gaming experience just for the benefit of being able to collect achievements.
  • dominalien 15 Jun 2012 14:34:22 6,848 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    Platinum trophies in PS3 games could be really special, but in the end it always seems to be a cop out of 'got every other trophy in the game'.
    That's how Sony designed them to be, though, so not really a cop out on the game maker's part.

PSN: DonOsito

• Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous