Revisiting past generations Page 4

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• spamdangled 20 Jul 2012 15:52:35 27,269 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just picked up Atelier Iris and Steambot Chronicles. Keeping an eye on the Suikoden PS2 games, but they seem to have retained their prices pretty well.

Wasn't aware there was a Grandia III, might have to pick that up too.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Minotauro 22 Jul 2012 16:18:13 92 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've been revisiting my PS1 collection recently. Aslo bought some classic games off ebay (Silent Hill, Vagrant Story, FFVII). I don't know if it's because I haven't been playing current gen games this year (mainly DS/GBA), but the graphics haven't bothered me at all. Tomb raider, Metal Gear Solid etc. still play great. Driver hasn't aged well to be honest, but I'm still having a blast. Bushido blade still looks and plays great.

Special mentions:

Rollcage 2 is one of the best looking PS1 games. It's such an underrated game. Some great track design, not to mention the quantity of tracks and unlockable modes (I've spent hours on scramble mode alone). Can get hectic when playing with the really fast cars but it's a real rush when you are in the zone. Some of the best weapons in any futuristic racer.

Alien Resurrection. Yes the film is shit. And this is definitely a flawed game. But damn, I'm playing this for the first time at the moment and it is freaking awesome! Genuinely scary - it plays more like a survival horror game than anything. Great use of the licence. The sounds are spot on and the level design, although fairly simple, really creates that claustrophobic feeling from the first Alien film. Controls are somewhat awkward (aiming wise). But I like to think it adds to the survival horror aspect (kinda like resi tank controls). But if you use the shotgun in open spaces the aiming is less problematic. Save your pulse rifle for choke points.

I love the PS1. Annoyingly there are still LOADS of great games I never got to play for it.......ebay time.
  • zonipoi 22 Jul 2012 21:26:33 17 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    My last generation was 99% PES and after falling in love with JRPG's by playing PSone classics on PSP I decided to buy a new boxed PS2 Slim. Since then I've bought the following from Amazon:
    Final Fantasy X
    Final Fantasy XII
    Kingdom Hearts
    Kingdom Hearts 2
    Shadow Hearts
    Shadow Hearts: Covenant
    Shadow Hearts: From the New World
    Rogue Galaxy
    Dragon Quest VIII
    Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
    Valkyrie Profile 2
    Grandia 2
    Star Ocean 3
    SMT: Lucifer's Call
    SMT: Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2
    Wild Arms 3

Have only played through Shadow Hearts and very close to completing DDS 1. I strongly recommend Shadow Hearts and Covenant should be even better. Really interested in Xenosagas, shame only the second came out in Europe. Any other recommendations? Playing through Persona 3 on Vita and will play 4 on Vita.
  • zonipoi 23 Jul 2012 01:35:13 17 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I had never heard of Steambot Chronicles but it looked interesting and it was cheap on Amazon so had to order. Thanks for the recommendation. Dark Chronicle I will get later. Radiata Stories is only NTSC?

Will take me years to get through all of those as I have massive backlog already without the PS2 stuff but at least it's nice to have them ready in the shelf to be played. I also enjoy buying things as much as I like playing through them.
  • Ultrasoundwave 10 Aug 2012 09:22:12 3,264 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Minotauro wrote:
    I've been revisiting my PS1 collection recently. Aslo bought some classic games off ebay (Silent Hill, Vagrant Story, FFVII). I don't know if it's because I haven't been playing current gen games this year (mainly DS/GBA), but the graphics haven't bothered me at all. Tomb raider, Metal Gear Solid etc. still play great. Driver hasn't aged well to be honest, but I'm still having a blast. Bushido blade still looks and plays great.

Special mentions:

Rollcage 2 is one of the best looking PS1 games. It's such an underrated game. Some great track design, not to mention the quantity of tracks and unlockable modes (I've spent hours on scramble mode alone). Can get hectic when playing with the really fast cars but it's a real rush when you are in the zone. Some of the best weapons in any futuristic racer.

Alien Resurrection. Yes the film is shit. And this is definitely a flawed game. But damn, I'm playing this for the first time at the moment and it is freaking awesome! Genuinely scary - it plays more like a survival horror game than anything. Great use of the licence. The sounds are spot on and the level design, although fairly simple, really creates that claustrophobic feeling from the first Alien film. Controls are somewhat awkward (aiming wise). But I like to think it adds to the survival horror aspect (kinda like resi tank controls). But if you use the shotgun in open spaces the aiming is less problematic. Save your pulse rifle for choke points.

I love the PS1. Annoyingly there are still LOADS of great games I never got to play for it.......ebay time.

Been doing the same thing.

As far as the PS1 is concerned, i picked one up in great condition (with a limited edition box) for 40. As far as games go, i've picked up GTA 1+2, Gran Turismo and Silent Hill, all in very good condition for excellent prices off Amazon.

Any other classic PS1 games i should be looking for??

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• -cerberus- 10 Aug 2012 09:33:26 2,409 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, there's tons! Crash Bandicoot trilogy, Spyro trilogy, Colony Wars trilogy, Dino Crisis 1 & 2, Resident Evil trilogy, Kula World, Oddworld 1 & 2, MediEvil 1 & 2, Wipeout trilogy (try to get the Special Edition for Wipeout 3, it includes track from Wipeout 2097), Alien Trilogy (that's just one game ;)), Cardinal Syn (gory 3D fighting game), ...

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• Afiddes 10 Aug 2012 09:38:44 1,164 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    dino crisis was epic, its a shame the third one was a turd :( i used to really enjoy the turok games as well but they went downhill towards the end too

edit: dont forget the die hard trilogy i had quite alot of fun playing that lol

Edited by Afiddes at 09:39:19 10-08-2012

3DS: 5198 2465 6450

• quadfather 10 Aug 2012 09:47:29 11,815 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, UltraSoundWave - definitely go for the resident evils as Cerberus says.

I can still visualise the first time I put that on and watched the fmv at the start and being blown away

I'm actually half way through it on the Wii-Make version at the moment, and it's still fucking brilliant now

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Ultrasoundwave 10 Aug 2012 10:06:36 3,264 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    -cerberus- wrote:
    Yeah, there's tons! Crash Bandicoot trilogy, Spyro trilogy, Colony Wars trilogy, Dino Crisis 1 & 2, Resident Evil trilogy, Kula World, Oddworld 1 & 2, MediEvil 1 & 2, Wipeout trilogy (try to get the Special Edition for Wipeout 3, it includes track from Wipeout 2097), Alien Trilogy (that's just one game ;)), Cardinal Syn (gory 3D fighting game), ...
    Cheers cerberus, checking some of the prices on these as we speak......

• -cerberus- 10 Aug 2012 10:37:25 2,409 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You're welcome :) I had an absolute blast playing through those games back then and I'm sure you will too. I forgot to ad Crash Team Racing, Tombi!, Nightmare Creatures 1 (& 2, even if it's a very flawed game, although I recommend getting the Dreamcast version).
    Also, I highly recommend getting Redisent Evil Director's Cut instead of the original (unless you're a collector, like me :p); click here for more info.

Edited by -cerberus- at 10:39:04 10-08-2012

• Ultrasoundwave 10 Aug 2012 11:09:39 3,264 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Crikey!, some of these PS1 games are seriously holding their value :

Resident Evil 2 - 48

Resident Evil 3 - 45

Dino Crisis - 30

OddWorld - 99!

Think i need to wait till payday.........

:eek:

• bronzemedal 10 Aug 2012 11:25:05 36 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Ultrasoundwave

You could probably buy the whole lot used for about 25. I got a perfect copy of RE2 off ebay a few weeks back for a tenner. I'd recommend ebay over Amazon as you can see the condition in the pics.
  • -cerberus- 25 Aug 2012 20:46:21 2,409 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Bought a new Game Gear because I will be performing modifications to my current one; I will be installing a modern LCD screen into it. Don't know how yet, but I'll figure it out.
    But in the meantime I've been playing a lot of Jurassic Park, Batman Returns, Columns and Sonic on my new model. I've also ordered a Master Gear Converter 2 from Germany which I'm expecting next week. Now I need me some more Master System games! Land of Illusion & Aladdin caught my eye but I need more. Any recommendations, lads? I need lots more 8-bit goodness! :D

Edited by -cerberus- at 20:47:16 25-08-2012

• King_Edward 26 Aug 2012 12:13:22 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:

Resident Evil 2 - 48

Resident Evil 3 - 45

Dino Crisis - 30

OddWorld - 99!

:eek:
    You can get them all off PSN for slightly less extortionate prices.

Edited by King_Edward at 18:54:38 27-08-2012
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 26 Aug 2012 12:50:53 37,311 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have all those games. Maybe I should think about selling them :)

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• bobdebob 26 Aug 2012 16:39:38 546 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:

Resident Evil 2 - 48

Resident Evil 3 - 45

Dino Crisis - 30

OddWorld - 99!

No way in hell those games are worth that much. They all went platinum, 5 tops is what they're worth each.

Funny, usually in these retro threads (and youtube comments of walkthroughs of old games) there's people who never played the retro games at the time (or weren't even born) but say things along the lines 'this much better than games nowadays'.
  • -cerberus- 26 Aug 2012 16:52:08 2,409 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    bobdebob wrote:No way in hell those games are worth that much. They all went platinum, 5 tops is what they're worth each.
    Try to look at it from a collector's perspective: platinum versions are indeed worth 5 or so but original releases are worth a hell of a lot more.
    bobdebob wrote: Funny, usually in these retro threads (and youtube comments of walkthroughs of old games) there's people who never played the retro games at the time (or weren't even born) but say things along the lines 'this much better than games nowadays'.
    Can't blame them, it's true. Just take a good look at what the games industry has become.

• bobdebob 26 Aug 2012 18:41:50 546 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @-cerberus-
    Even from a collector's point of view those games aren't rare, if you look around a bit you could find the originals for very cheap. They're aren't white sega saturns, rare Neo-Geo games or Limited Editions.
    If they've gone platinum, there's usually a lot of them around.

Can't blame them, it's true. Just take a good look at what the games industry has become.
    Aside from online passes, overpriced dlc and the such, maybe, but I meant the actual games themselves.

It just looks they're trying to get e-points by pretending to like old games.

Take Super Mario 3 for example, I've seen comments that are from younger people who say it's better than anything they've ever played. It's not a bad game, it's a good game, still playable, but all the things that it got praised for like the new power-ups, varied stages, stage map etc. were because it very impressive at the time.

I played it on Super Mario All-Star + Super Mario World on SNES, and I wasn't blown away since most of the things had become standard in platformers by then.

Or take something more recent like Goldeneye64 which when released had brilliant detailed graphics and good gameplay and nice controls. Now it looks bare, shaky framerate, gameplay just about holds up and the controls are outdated (although there's the double pad option). I think its one of best shooters ever but I would recommend Timesplitter 2 over Goldeneye.

Edited by bobdebob at 18:42:38 26-08-2012
  • Ultrasoundwave 25 Oct 2012 09:35:10 3,264 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Oh no.......

I just found a list of rare Dreamcast games and i got paid today......

Someone.......help.........ME!

• Ultrasoundwave 2 Jan 2013 09:48:30 3,264 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well, i got a decent amount of Christmas money off the usual suspects and i've spent it all already :

Factory sealed GameCube - 50
    Used but mint condition N64 - 55
    Goldeneye 64 - 20

Will be waiting until the end of the month before i get a few more games for both......

• Ultrasoundwave 2 Jan 2013 12:45:20 3,264 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    No chance!

Spent the best part of 6 months looking for someone selling one with the original box then, about two weeks ago, a CEX opened at my local city. Pretty sure i was one of the first people to go in there because they had loads of good stuff, including the factory sealed GameCube.

Bargain at 50, it will be worth hell of a lot more than that in a few years......

• Sharzam 2 Jan 2013 12:45:21 2,689 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The problem with used N64 is not the console itself but rather the controller, they get so damm loose so fast.

After a couple of years I think mine became unplayable.

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• Ultrasoundwave 2 Jan 2013 12:51:51 3,264 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    True, the controllers are pretty easy to find though, not too expensive either (even on Amazon).

At the end of the month, im planning on picking up Project Justice on the Dreamcast, some GC games and maybe Ocarina of Time on the N64.

The value on retro games is ridiculous at the moment - PS2 prices have gone through the roof too. I could have picked a new one up before Christmas for about 110, now their going for 250+!

Obviously its because Sony have decided to stop making them but still....thats hell of a jump!

• Ultrasoundwave 5 Jan 2013 23:43:51 3,264 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well, both the N64 and the GameCube got here safe and sound - both in superb condition, really happy with them.

I managed to get a mint condition Ocarina of Time on Amazon for the N64 and a copy of Goldeneye is also on the way. Also, i Popped into CEX today and managed to pick up a copy of Super Mario Strikers for the GC.

So, what else do I need to get?, what are the best N64/GameCube exclusives?

• PazJohnMitch 6 Jan 2013 00:00:33 7,785 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Spent most of today playing the PS1 version of MGS.
  • Ultrasoundwave 6 Jan 2013 11:49:01 3,264 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    We've had to move house temporarily while we get kitchen sorted etc, so I've taken my battered 26" lcd tv to the new place.

But it's made me think - there's the telly in the new house with *no* consoles attached to it! Blasphemy. So instead of dragging all the new stuff over (we're only here for 6 weeks), I was thinking of having a retro session in the new house as it's going to be far easier to shift, say, a GC over. Or the DC! Wacky races, here we come!

So I could play the following -

DC -
    Wacky races
    Ecco the dolphin: Dotf (stop laughing)
    Shenmue
    Suzuki alstare racing
    Alone in the dark: new nightmare

GC -
    Eternal Darkness! (I think it's definitely going to be this)
    Resi evil various
    Super metroid

Or I could bring the snes and have mario/dk/Street fighter 2 buffoonery!
    @quadfather

Been reading a lot about eternal darkness?, any good?

• Page

of 8 First / Last