Revisiting past generations

• Page

of 8 First / Last

Previous
  • Ultrasoundwave 13 Jun 2012 13:41:46 3,118 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Its the same old story. I found some boxes of my old stuff, opened them up to see what was inside and discovered some great things :

(side-note : i am fully endorsing people quoting this and replacing the above picture with something else leading to hilarious shenanigans)

Naturally, i decided to fire these relics up to see what was working and what wasn't. To my amazement, they were all fully functional, even the Mega Drive (although the picture quality isnt great).

Its amazing how good some of these old games look too, especially on the Saturn. Resident Evil, Sega Rally and Wipeout in particular all look excellent and play just as well.

Unfortunately, disappointment was around the corner. Despite looking everywhere, i couldnt find a single Dreamcast game. I then vaguely remembered trading a bunch of them in when i bought my original xbox - bollocks!

So, the past few weeks has all been about buying Dreamcast games, Saturn games and various cables and connections to try and improve the sound and visuals.

For the Dreamcast, ive taken the "classics approach" - Shenmue, Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio have all been delivered (for surprisingly high prices mind you!) and revisited.

Ive got to say, Shenmue has been a joy to revisit. Its amazing how ahead of its time that game was and just how well made it was - its scary to think what the Shenmue team could make in this day and age.

Anyway, enough guff - anyone else dusted off their old consoles/games recently?, if you've still got any, i highly recommend it - it turns out nostalgia is all sorts of good.

Edited by Ultrasoundwave at 13:42:45 13-06-2012

"Look at banner Michael!"

• DUFFMAN5 13 Jun 2012 14:09:04 13,831 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I try to go back, due to fuzzy feelings, but I get bored very quickly. I have revistited my C64 days with some good results though.

I'm playing Black on my old monster sized xbox at the mo and various games on the fat ps2, not that old I know but that is about as far as I can go back ;)

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• ResidentKnievel 13 Jun 2012 14:15:38 5,888 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've been playing Super Mario All-Stars on the Snes, I managed to complete Super Mario Bros. 3 for the first time ever last week. \o/

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 13 Jun 2012 14:29:57 6,654 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    That's a feat. I got stuck on the penultimate world. Seven I think.
  • ResidentKnievel 13 Jun 2012 14:35:13 5,888 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I got stuck on Seven on my first attempt (last week), then I decided to stock up as many power wings and clouds as possible on my next attempt, and used them all on the last two worlds. The last level was surprisingly easy compared to the rest of World 8.

Edited by ResidentKnievel at 14:35:38 13-06-2012

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• Deleted user 13 June 2012 14:46:37
    Got a load of burnt DC games if you want 'em, have the originals anyway.
  • L_Franko Moderator 13 Jun 2012 14:56:51 9,692 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm playing through Diddy Kong racing every now and then and I've played through Lylat wars a few times in the last couple of weeks.
    I've been eyeing up the Mega Drive for a possible play through of Sonic 2 but I think my controller might be knckered, I'll check it some time soon.

Wish I still had my Snes as I really fancy playing an old school Mario game.
    Last time I touched a Snes was when I got beaten by a girl on Mario Kart at last years expo.

Edited by L_Franko at 14:58:11 13-06-2012
  • X201 13 Jun 2012 14:59:05 14,710 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Its the same old story. I found some boxes of my old stuff, opened them up to see what was inside and discovered some great things :

Naturally, I decided to fire these relics up to see what was working and what wasn't. Unfortunately, not all of them were fully functional.

Its amazing how good some of these old soaks look too, especially on the pub steps.

Unfortunately, disappointment was around the corner. Despite looking everywhere, I couldn't find Emperor Rosko. I then vaguely remembered trading him in for Fearne Cotton - bollocks!
  • Razz 13 Jun 2012 14:59:41 60,032 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nice one, I was thinknig about getting shot of my retro stuff, I don't play it, it just gathers dust :/ Might pop down to crack converters or sex one afernoon with a giant box of DC games and accessories... I've got 3 fishing controllers, God knows what I was thinking atthe time o_O

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• Folant 13 Jun 2012 15:03:24 1,150 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I try to go back sometimes, but it never ends well. They never seem to hold my attention very long. :-(

With the exception of Mario Kart on the SNES.
    Me and my brother could play that forever.

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• smoothpete 13 Jun 2012 15:07:53 31,040 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    3 fishing controllers? I've only got one and even that is way too many
  • kalel 13 Jun 2012 15:09:39 84,047 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    For me the 16-bit machines hold up a lot better than the 32-bit+ ones. That was the pinnacle of the 2D era, and so in a sense those games haven't really been hugely improved upon.

The early 3D games on the likes of the Saturn, PS1 and even the last gen are just ugly versions of the games we have now.
  • Ultrasoundwave 13 Jun 2012 15:12:22 3,118 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Got a load of burnt DC games if you want 'em, have the originals anyway.
    Cheers for the offer - however, without trying to sound like an ungrateful ponce, im trying to put together a bit of an "official" collection as the value of DC stuff seems to be gathering pace.

Cheers again ;)

• ronuds 13 Jun 2012 16:08:11 21,788 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My DC barely works anymore, but when it does it's good. Went back recently when the 360 got RRoD and it was hard to look at.
  • Ultrasoundwave 13 Jun 2012 21:23:36 3,118 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    My DC barely works anymore, but when it does it's good. Went back recently when the 360 got RRoD and it was hard to look at.
    What's wrong with it?

When I first fired mine up last week (after about 10 years) it didn't work straight away, it just made some random noises. Then when it did start working, port 1 and port 2 wouldn't work!

A week later, after a decent amount of use, it's working perfectly. Odd as fuck.

• jonsaan 13 Jun 2012 21:31:44 25,256 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bloody Shenmue.

Excuse me. Do you know where I can find the Mad Angels?

FCUTA!

• Rajin 13 Jun 2012 23:04:44 580 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Still playing PS1 JRPG games on my ps2, FFIX, Xenogears and Persona 2. Started playing Record of Lodiss War on the GBA as well, and thinking of buying Super Metroid for the GBA(it costs 30-50 euro sadly, might just opt for a ROM)
  • -cerberus- 14 Jun 2012 02:11:08 2,103 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    My ps2, Dreamcast, Gamecube and xbox are always hooked up. I've still got the rest safely tucked away in a box but always ready for use; Game Gear, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, Multimega, Saturn, Gameboy Pocket, SNES, N64, PS1. Sweet old gaming goodness without the need for an internet connection, no dashboard full of ads, no DLC, no on-disc ULC and no fucking extortion passes.

Fuck. This. Gen. Long live past-gen!

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• Retroid Moderator 14 Jun 2012 02:55:56 44,501 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    /Strokes Xperia Play
  • Ultrasoundwave 14 Jun 2012 07:13:51 3,118 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    -cerberus- wrote:
    My ps2, Dreamcast, Gamecube and xbox are always hooked up. I've still got the rest safely tucked away in a box but always ready for use; Game Gear, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, Multimega, Saturn, Gameboy Pocket, SNES, N64, PS1. Sweet old gaming goodness without the need for an internet connection, no dashboard full of ads, no DLC, no on-disc ULC and no fucking extortion passes.

Fuck. This. Gen. Long live past-gen!

Yep, that's the dream!

The only console I've bought on my recent retro binge is a PS1 (mint condition in the box - 30). I've been looking at everything : PS2's, GameCubes, SNES's.....there's no doubt in my mind I'll have them all by the end of the year.

:/

• Ultrasoundwave 14 Jun 2012 11:09:12 3,118 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well, seeing as i bought Shenmue, ive been thinking about getting Shenmue II (naturally). However, the prices are putting me off a little bit :eek:

Ive also heard there is a VERY rare edition of Half-Life for the Dreamcast.......cant imagine how much that goes for though :eek::eek::eek:

• -cerberus- 14 Jun 2012 14:47:57 2,103 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Half Life for Dreamcast is actually an unreleased version that leaked on the net. Look around ;)

I know the prices are quite high but I highly recommend Shenmue II... It basically fixed everything that was wrong with the original game and it's a more enjoyable experience overal.

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• Rusty_M 14 Jun 2012 14:59:17 4,357 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I got shenmue II for the xbox and sometimes play on the 360.

Wait, am I doing this wrong?

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• geeza2020 14 Jun 2012 15:12:06 1,858 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    /hugs Master System

my first console \o/
  • smoothpete 14 Jun 2012 15:22:36 31,040 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    GameOverYeah wrote:
    I'd personally just get the Xbox version. It comes on one disc and has all the original voice actors from Shenmue one (all in English). You should be able to get it for 20.
    13 all in

There's an auction ending in a few hours which is at 2.60 currently. No doubt that will shoot up at the last minute.
  • quadfather 14 Jun 2012 15:47:23 10,587 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've kept my dreamcast too. It's not hooked up, but I think I can remember the games off the top of my head -

Wacky Races (definitive version on Dreamcast imo)
    Ecco the Dolphin - the defender of the future one
    Shenmue
    Suzuki alstare extreme racing
    Alone in the dark: the new nightmare

Erm. My mind appears to have gone blank now. Sure I had more than that. Great, now you've made me want to go home and search the attic :-)

Have to say, Wacky races, with a steering wheel, playing with your mates was a *lot* of fun back in the day.

Didn't use it for a long time, as I got some other console or PC, so it's in really good condition. Might slyly wire it up and see if the Mrs notices :-)

Can't remember the av lead I was using for it. Hopefully I've upgraded it from scart to at least svhs, hopefully composite.

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• dr_swin 14 Jun 2012 16:03:42 4,824 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I remember seriously considering splashing out about 150 on ebay for a samba de amigo set at one stage. Really glad I didn't.
  • -cerberus- 14 Jun 2012 16:20:13 2,103 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Took a look at my Dreamcast collection, this is what I've got:
    - Crazy Taxi
    - D2 (import)
    - Daytona USA 2001
    - Dead or Alive 2
    - Dino Crisis
    - Ecco: Defender of the Future
    - Evil Twin
    - Jet Set Radio