Continuum - US Time Travelling Cop Drama

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • Ged42 11 Jun 2012 21:35:44 7,704 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just watched the first episode of a series that recently started over in the US and available via the usual dodgy source of US TV.

Its about a cybernetically enhanced cop from a corporate run future, who has been thrown back in time to our present, trying to stop some 'terrorists.'

Its a mix of Terminator, Time cop and your typical cop drama. At the moment it is a bit generic, but it could become interesting.

Also I hadn't realised the 'Smoking Man' from the X-Files was still alive, but he's still just as sinister.
  • Scimarad 11 Jun 2012 21:41:27 8,530 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, really enjoyed the first couple of eps. It's Canadian not US, though.
  • darrenb 11 Jun 2012 21:44:57 676 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So far so good, just watched the latest episode... just dont think too much and it is good no brainer viewing..

True Blood now :-)
  • BinaryBob101 12 Jun 2012 13:46:30 22,342 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, I haven't seen the third episode yet, but the second took a pretty severe dive in quality. Still, it's not bad.

Beautiful tender beings.

• prodge Moderator 12 Jun 2012 13:51:51 350 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's very generic. Apart from the first 20 minutes, which showed a lot of the future universe which was good, it then turned into yet another boring cop show. :(
  • Whizzo 12 Jun 2012 14:04:55 43,038 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I quite enjoyed the first couple of episodes and it appears that they've thought through the time travel aspects reasonably well.

Plus the lead actress is so very lovely I think I'd keep watching anyway.

Edited by Whizzo at 14:05:25 12-06-2012

This space left intentionally blank.

• President_Weasel 12 Jun 2012 14:39:07 8,984 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just assumed this would be utter crap, but you seem to be suggesting it's half decent brainless telly. Maybe I'll give it a look after all.
  • Machetazo 3 Oct 2012 14:04:50 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    prodge wrote:
    It's very generic. Apart from the first 20 minutes, which showed a lot of the future universe which was good, it then turned into yet another boring cop show. :(
    Which cop show did you see, where the lead casually mentions they ought to return to the station, only next scene to walk into the aftermath of a precinct that looks like a bomb just went off within, bullet holes in the walls, and officers layed out on stretchers?
    60 years from now, though...why not 2170, it would be more believable.
    Also, William B Davis! He was really good here. I'm going to watch another ep and see how it goes. I rate it a good, could go either way, after ep 1.

It has some nice touches, like the future of policing you've been tagged! and the time influences. Internet says it was announced renewed for a full second season in August.

Edited by Machetazo at 14:08:44 03-10-2012
  • Carlo 3 Oct 2012 14:09:15 17,948 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You *really* have to stick with it past at least ep 3.

it's not generic at all...!

/says no more

PSN ID: Djini

• Razz 3 Oct 2012 15:03:07 60,778 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    prodge wrote:
    A new moderator? o_O AWTFY?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• BinaryBob101 3 Oct 2012 15:49:43 22,342 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Carlo wrote:

/says no more
    Um...

Beautiful tender beings.

• Whizzo 3 Oct 2012 15:52:08 43,038 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Really enjoyed the first season, shame it was a near UK length of season with it being only 10 episodes.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Deleted user 3 October 2012 15:56:47
    Without having seen any of the show or know anything about it, I'm going to guess three things:

1) It tries to do a standalone procedural story each episode.

2) It also tries to do an overarching "WHAT IS HAPPENING" series arc.

3) It basically fails at both.
  • Mola_Ram 3 Oct 2012 15:59:32 6,996 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So, a worse version of Fringe, then?
  • Deleted user 3 October 2012 16:01:18
    Usually when a thread like this gets bumped I expect to read "shame it got canned."
  • nickthegun 3 Oct 2012 16:01:49 58,895 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its actually not bad. Its not going to set the world on fire but its 100% better than most of the shit the pretends to be sci-fi on offer.

It is procedural in the fact that every week the hero has to solve a caper instigated by the terrorists, but it almost always advances the main plot onward.

A few years ago it would be considered average but now its like a flower in a barren desert of televisual shite.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• nickthegun 3 Oct 2012 16:02:12 58,895 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its also canadian, so change the title.

He totally called it

• Deleted user 3 October 2012 16:04:40
    Most of the new shows starting at the moment seem pretty crap. Revolution is basically just Jericho with the occasional swordfight. Last Resort had a good premise but I've literally no idea how they're going to stretch it into a full series. I got through approximately a minute of Elementary before turning it off. 666 Park Avenue is a shameless cash-in on American Horror Story. And I can't even remember anything else, so they're clearly worth watching.
  • nickthegun 3 Oct 2012 16:08:44 58,895 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This new series of Alphas has been OK and im finding Grimm watchable if everything you said above but theres nothing that has set the world on fire.

Theres just no balls out sci-fi anymore as its too expensive, so we get shitty drama with vague sci-fi elements.

He totally called it

• Mola_Ram 3 Oct 2012 16:09:26 6,996 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    666 Park Ave has Locke from Lost in it though. I might have to watch one or two for him, before it gets cancelled. Because it probably will get cancelled.
  • Deleted user 3 October 2012 16:24:03
    To be fair, the real reason we don't have much proper Star Trek/Battlestar Galactica/Whatever sci-fi anymore is because it just doesn't really sell at the moment. But considering TV trends are usually a year or two behind movie trends, you'll probably see an uptake in more serious sci-fi next season. Along with more attempts at superhero shit, probably.
  • BinaryBob101 3 Oct 2012 16:31:37 22,342 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yep, superheroes will be first, but then like you I think space opera stuff will be back on TV soon. I can't imagine TPTB wanting Trek to stay away for much longer in light of a hugely successful franchise at the cinema.

The new stuff on US TV this year is pretty much all uniformly terrible, which is a huge shame considering Fringe and a couple of other shows are coming to a close.

I had highish hopes for Continuum, but it just became so bland and the thin characters didn't help one bit, even though it had one, or two interesting things to say.

Beautiful tender beings.

• Mr-Brett 3 Oct 2012 16:35:04 12,723 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I quite liked the first season and more or less echo what nickthegun said.
    Alphas seems to have solid production values but it's doing anything all that new, it's essentially a toned down Heroes/X-Men.

Portable view - Never forget.

• Deleted user 3 October 2012 17:40:09
    Is that Falling Skies show considered proper sci-fi? I only watched half of the first episode, but gave up because that guy will always be Carter from ER in my mind. It's like the new Matthew Perry sitcom where he's desperately trying not to be Chandler, but the show might as well be called "Chandler" for all his efforts.
  • BinaryBob101 3 Oct 2012 18:36:11 22,342 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    No, it's the nu-breed of fem friendly sci-fi, innit?

Seriously, it's a blight on sci-fi is this female friendly stuff.

Beautiful tender beings.

• Deleted user 3 October 2012 18:41:15
    Sounds like we need more booth babes in our sci-fi.
  • freedumb 4 Oct 2012 01:55:45 1,110 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Saw the first episode of the UK premiere on Scf-Fi and was pleasantly surprised. It started off feeling generic and a bit style-over-substance, but got better as it went on.

Edited by freedumb at 01:56:43 04-10-2012
  • Machetazo 13 Oct 2012 11:05:11 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Carlo wrote:

/says no more
    I've watched ep 3, and...you might be on to something, there. :) Very nice sequence at the college.
  • Deleted user 13 October 2012 12:11:53
    I was just thinking about this show after reading the 'cancelled TV shows' thread. Is this getting another series?
  • Machetazo 13 Oct 2012 12:14:53 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The phenomenally successful series, which performed very well over the usually slow summer season, will begin production on the 13-episode season 2 in Vancouver in 2013. Ratings for the show shattered all previous Showcase premiere records, and dominated its Sunday night 9-10 p.m. timeslot.

"'Continuum' was a tremendous success for the channel," said Barbara Williams, Senior Vice President, Content, Shaw Media, in a press release. "We are proud to green-light such a prolific ratings hit and original series for a second season, and to continue Kiera's journey through time for our dedicated viewers."
    so, yes :)
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous