Would EG benefit from being taken over by a larger company?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Bombonera 10 Jun 2012 01:35:01 344 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This is just a thought I've had for a while. I consider EG to be one of the best sources for game reviews and articles of interest on the internet. There was an article a few months ago about the demise of Rare, which was one of the finest examples of games journalism I've seen. I also prefer EG's reviews to those of most other sites. Last year there were 2 highly anticipated titles released for the PS3 and 360 respectively - probably the most anticipated exclusives for their respective formats - Uncharted 3 and Gears of War 3. While most other sites were handing out 9s and 10s galore, EG was brave enough to give them 8s. I also find that EG's reviewers generally come across as being more intelligent than on Gamespot and IGN.

Despite that, I feel that EG doesn't get the audience it deserves. Looking at measurements such as Alexa rankings, Twitter followers and number of Facebook likes, EG lags behind most of the major players and even middling competitors like Joystiq and CVG. I feel this is more to do with those sites having much greater financial backing rather than them offering better content than EG. EG has done very well to punch above its weight and survive for so long in the face of such competition. What do you guys reckon?
  • Deleted user 10 June 2012 01:38:56
    Surely it's more to do with the Euro-centric nature of the site, limiting the audience.
  • bigshot316 10 Jun 2012 01:40:21 23,565 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    More boobs. That will work.
  • Brave_Dave 10 Jun 2012 01:50:41 109 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    EG isn't that well known out of the UK is it? We have their blurbs on some UK game boxes/ads. Surprised anyone outside the UK even knows of it. There's so many large euro sites/mags/tv shows. EG is very British as I see it. Not debating the quality of their output though, only site I trust...except metacritic :)
  • mal 10 Jun 2012 01:53:04 22,446 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The reason IGN and Gamespot are more popular is because they're older. Similarly one of the reasons Eurogamer is as big as it is is because it's older than e.g. joystiq or, um, any other popular gaming website I can't think of that's still vaguely popular and preferably wasn't invented yesterday as it turns out.

That and the way it's radically improved the quantity of output in the past few years without significantly cutting the quality. And has repeatedly managed to redesign the website without pissing off most of its regular visitors too badly.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 10 June 2012 02:01:44
    I think a return to the EG editorial based content and away from posting news as quickly as kotaku/ign can post their would help immensely. As the site grows it seems to be growing in entirely the wrong direction.
  • Deleted user 10 June 2012 02:17:00
    News is only news if you get it yourself. News for news sake isn't worth EG's time. Or rather I wish I wasn't.
  • Deleted user 10 June 2012 02:27:54
    An increase of Craigies with a decrease in the Venatio Ratio would see at least a tenfold increase of Rauper dynamics.
  • neilka 10 Jun 2012 02:37:36 15,844 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think EG should be taken over by Facepalm Industries Incorporated and turned into a wormhole research laboratory.
  • mal 10 Jun 2012 02:45:18 22,446 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    meme wrote:
    An increase of Craigies with a decrease in the Venatio Ratio would see at least a tenfold increase of Rauper dynamics.
    Heh, the Venatio Ratio! What's the Venatio ratio today, grem?

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 10 June 2012 03:50:38
    The Venatio Ratio is the amount of Bramwells to the amount of Wii U articles.
  • Deleted user 10 June 2012 04:32:41
    In answer to the OP question; no absolutely not.
  • dominalien 10 Jun 2012 06:48:07 6,848 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It would undoubtedly become more "professional" in the designed-by-committee sense. I always thought it was the perfect counterweight to Gamespot, which I used to read before the whole Gerstmann debacle. Big, structured organisation as opposed to a small/informal one. Let it stay the way it is, for now.

PSN: DonOsito

• Mr-Brett 10 Jun 2012 09:39:06 12,757 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Boab wrote:
    I think a return to the EG editorial based content and away from posting news as quickly as kotaku/ign can post their would help immensely. As the site grows it seems to be growing in entirely the wrong direction.
    I agree, I think they should put a VG247 rss feed where the news is and focus on editorials.

Portable view - Never forget.

• pinebear 10 Jun 2012 09:41:37 8,565 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Save Bertie!

• Page

of 1

Previous Next