Super Mario Coingasm (or NSMB2) Page 2

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• JinTypeNoir 28 Jul 2012 07:21:19 4,392 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Downloaded it this morning and played it for about 3 hours (my roommate wanted to get in a turn too, so I'm taking a break).

There's a lot of surprises in this one. Lots of things where I just go, "Huh, how are you supposed to do that?" or "Whoa, didn't expect that to happen?" or "Oh my God, what just happened?" To a certain extent, yes, there's the expectations you'd normally have of a Mario game, but these get thrown into wack so consistently that I honestly don't know what to expect yet.

The way this game makes you desire more coins and want to try a course again to get a better coin run is freaky. I thought I wouldn't be too concerned with it until I after I beat the game, but I found myself going back to a course I just completed to better on quite a lot. This game has made me into quite a little Midas. I would say I've completed about 15 courses and among the standard fortress/grass/water/underground levels there have been some real surprises that made me go 0_0! Especially the first ghost house I played completely threw me for a loop. It's my favorite stage so far, I mean, I know when you play a Mario ghost house you should expect the unexpected, but this was just insane. I also really like the forest stage where you can fly up on the trees for so many secrets and the Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA version) like vertical vine-climbing stage a whole lot. When I get a chance I NEED to figure out how to get to a secret exit I just cannot find in one area but I just know has to be in one of the stages. I'm racking my brain thinking of ways to figure out things that seem impossible to do as well. Also, I've just got to find out what happens when you manage to complete the 8-red coin collection in that one warp zone stage with the crows, but I lost 15 Marios trying to do it, so I'll come back later.

The big mushroom is now relegated to the status of a Star-like power-up and the Gold Mario which lets you throw golden fireballs that explode and make an extremely satisfying BOOOM sound and cause slight earthquakes is put in its place. As long as you don't get hit you can keep that until the end of the stage.

Even without having passed anyone in street pass yet, I still spent nearly on hour Coin Rush mode and managed to only complete it once. I'm not so very great at Mario, so I won't say its super difficult, but it is a much harder experience than am I used to with Mario games and that was using the easiest levels in the game. I can't imagine what star or flower packs are like (each pack is like a course in Mario Kart, except it chooses randomly from a different part of the game). You can also choose to be invincible raccoon Mario but this actually doesn't make it much easier.

Oh yeah, the audio is really clear. I know it sounds weird to say that, but its so crisp and I don't know, tactile. I'm not sure what they did here that was so different from the other titles, but man, it really pops. Also, the graphics are great, it has that kind of parallax scrolling we all dreamed (well all right-minded people did anyway) of 3DS 2D titles when it was first announced, its so juicy and colorful and vibrant. Don't knock it until you see it in 3D on the 3DS screen, because in practice it looks quite different from Wii and DS.

Overall, super fun and super addictive. I'm just about to pass 10,000 coins with 3 hours of play and lots of Coin Rush, so I have a long way to go to a million. Oh, even if you die (on normal play, not Coin Rush) you still get coins added to the total.

Edited by JinTypeNoir at 07:24:51 28-07-2012

Edited by JinTypeNoir at 13:08:37 28-07-2012
  • DFawkes 28 Jul 2012 12:21:38 23,817 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You invalidated that whole essay by using "addicting" in the place of "addictive". I now believe not a single word you've typed. I bet it doesn't even have Mario in it, or coins.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• JinTypeNoir 28 Jul 2012 13:08:10 4,392 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ?

I'm not aware there was a problem in the use of addicting, but I'll edit it out anyway. Is it some sort of taboo or slur (like people think niggardly when you try and use it), or just some grammar thing?
  • Deleted user 28 July 2012 13:16:33
    as anyway else got this pre-ordered? i have :)

nice read up jin,
  • redcrayon 28 Jul 2012 13:20:07 4,573 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    ?

I'm not aware there was a problem in the use of addicting, but I'll edit it out anyway. Is it some sort of taboo or slur (like people think niggardly when you try and use it), or just some grammar thing?
    Nah, you're OK, it's just a grammar thing- it's an awful Americanism that just sounds incredibly awkward and forced to most UK people, and isn't a real word here (despite the increasing number of journalists that keep using it). 'Addictive' has done the same job for hundreds of years and just sounds more elegant.

Thanks for the write-up, I'm looking forward to picking it up next month.

Edited by redcrayon at 13:23:02 28-07-2012
  • Raiko101 28 Jul 2012 14:03:36 6,619 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Can't wait to play this now! Although i've been on a bit of a platforming binge of late. New Super Mario Bros Wii, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Rayman Origins, Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros 2, Wario Land and Mega Man (GB). I hope i've not burnt out by then.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87 (Dave)
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• DFawkes 28 Jul 2012 16:13:40 23,817 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    ?

Mostly me being a dick, I assure you :p I even unfriended my own sister for doing it! It's just using the word in the wrong context, which (given your musings are usually of a high standard) surprised me. You're better than that, that's all :) Other than that, excellent write up. Hope you get a Streetpass soon to give you some real challenge.

But I digress, I was watching the 3D video of this on the store, and it struck me how the coins are placed is a little bit Sonic-esque. Not the game itself, but the way the coins almost form a racing line to show the best path. Not sure if it'll play that way, just a thought.

Edited by DFawkes at 16:17:01 28-07-2012

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Fake_Blood 28 Jul 2012 17:03:39 4,386 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There's a 3D vid on the store?
    This means I will have to locate, dust off and charge my 3DS.
  • JinTypeNoir 30 Jul 2012 08:22:15 4,392 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I find I laugh like a maniac when I play this game, especially Coin Rush mode, which is terribly ADDICTIVE. The interplay between the desire to get more coins and rush to the end so you can double is awful in the way it splits your Mario instincts into a fearsome id and ego that fight with each other for control of the little plumber. Many of the stages really come alive even if you've played them to death in the main mode, or especially so, because star coins and 1-ups can give you instant tons of coins if you remember where they are and quickly get them. In fact, 1-ups have been transformed from a "Oh, that's nice" bonus secret into a coveted item. Once you win the game you unlock a secret option for coin rush that makes it even harder to decide how to play, because you have the option being more safe or getting more coins from then on. You do keep the coins you made even if you die, but that's no consolation knowing that if you just held on for more one stage, you could have gotten like 6000 more coins or something. The boss fights can become really intense as you rush to beat them before time runs out. That classic Mario balance between going nuts and dangerous and taking your time and being careful is really put to the test here.

Also, is it just me or does this game have way more secrets in the levels than any Mario game before it? It definitely has some of the most downright bastard hard to find star coins, but even for a Mario veteran who has played all of them like me I was shocked to find so many things every where and so many different kinds of secrets too. Obviously a great deal lead to more coins or coin chances, but the variety is great. If you don't play just right, you'll spoil the chances you get to score.

I've been playing for 2 days now and have gotten 62,000 coins. I won the game through a secret route, so I haven't played all the worlds yet, about half the game left. About half of those coins came from coin rush. Counting secret levels, I've played about 50 levels so far. I loved the ending, it was so awesome and appropriate. Its nice also how you get all sorts of little goodies after the ending to help you play, so I definitely recommend winning the game once before you play all the stages.

My favorite two new power up features in this one is the new feature of the raccoon Mario where if you keep dashing on the ground after you come down from flight you can maintain your flight, theoretically infinitely, which makes for some insane skill plays possible and flying to areas that otherwise would not be possible. The other is that Gold Block Mario's head falls off if you get hit, but it keeps your current power up, so you can play with raccoon, fire, or gold fire Mario and be protected for one hit as long as you are Gold Block Mario. Since Gold Block Mario automatically disappears once you amass 100 coins using it, if you're careful you can use it as insurance in tough corners, which is a godsend sometimes. Also Gold Block, Star, Gold Flower Mario is a coin-amassing death god which must be experienced to realize the almighty power you can wield with it.

To one million coins and beyond!
  • DFawkes 30 Jul 2012 21:31:14 23,817 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheers for the new write up JTN, it's really put my concerns that Coin Rush may be just a gimmick to rest :) It really sounds like a genuinely fun, fresh game mode that really gives it a lot of replayability.

• Deleted user 30 July 2012 21:37:07
    Addicting isn't even a word, apologise prefusely!!!
  • mal 30 Jul 2012 23:14:38 22,793 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gah, not that old chestnut. It's a perfectly valid word e.g. 'I hate that dealer for addicting me to coke'. It's just not the accepted word in the context JTN was using it, in EG English*.

*Like British English but with extra spazzcock.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• GuiltySpark 31 Jul 2012 00:58:29 6,461 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is this game going to be any good if you don't give a flying fuck about coins?

Get bent.

• roz123 31 Jul 2012 09:53:13 7,113 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Some reviews are in, here is a roundup with links
    http://www.vg247.com/2012/07/30/280719/comment-page-1/

Some videos with spoilers

A rainbow level
    This guy is doing a video walkthrough of each world if you want to take a look at later levels

Edited by roz123 at 09:59:00 31-07-2012
  • Deleted user 31 July 2012 09:55:26
    destructoid also gave it 7/10 (jim sterling)
  • Monsieur_Blade 7 Aug 2012 10:27:30 357 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've read 3 or 4 reviews and they all say pretty much the same thing - its a great platformer (as you'd expect) but its too easy and completely lacks any new ideas.

I just can't decide whether to get this or not? If it was a 15 download i'd buy it in a shot but 30 pounds seems really expensive for a fairly unoriginal and easy Mario.

Problem is we all know that Mario games don't come down in price. I just don't think i can justify spending 30 on a new super Mario bros 1.5.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 7 Aug 2012 10:40:31 10,861 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Funny as a few of the reviews I've read suggested it was the hardest of the recent Mario games. Certainly some of the modes sound like a good challenge (the Cannon runs - 1 life, just jumping).

I've got this pre-ordered at just under 25 and am happy with that.
  • kinky_mong 7 Aug 2012 10:40:37 10,737 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah loads of reviews seem to be giving it quite a bashing (yet still somehow awarding it 8/10 or higher?!), and one of the main complaints is that it asks you to grind out a million coins to fully finish it when one playthrough will only net you around 400k.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Deleted user 7 August 2012 10:49:21
    @Monsieur_Blade aye, i sort of done the same. i've cancelled my pre-order. if i see below 25 on a one off i grab it. But with a wii u version coming as well i might stick and wait for that.
  • waggy79 7 Aug 2012 10:58:21 1,073 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The reviews have put me off of this. Maybe a different art style (hand drawn 2d) or a more hardcore mario (less 1-ups, coins and gimmicky power ups) would be more for me. Looking forward to luigis mansion now.
  • Monsieur_Blade 7 Aug 2012 11:55:26 357 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    waggy79 wrote:
    The reviews have put me off of this. Maybe a different art style (hand drawn 2d) or a more hardcore mario (less 1-ups, coins and gimmicky power ups) would be more for me. Looking forward to luigis mansion now.
    Yeah think I'll wait it out for luigi's mansion as well. I thought the whole golden coins thing could be a good idea if it was used in an interesting way but it sounds like they're pretty pointless and just make the game easier.

U never know, ninty might put it on sale on the eshop if it doesn't sell well but i won't be holding my breath.
  • Afiddes 7 Aug 2012 19:46:08 1,164 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I am questioning my resolve to buy this right now simply because it is a case of do I want to save for the wii u or continue with my 3 ds game catalog (cannot afford both me thinks) the only thing worrying me about the game is apparently it is only 5-6 hours long and although I may replay it a little bit I can see myself maybe getting a little bored of doing the same levels

3DS: 5198 2465 6450

• Raiko101 7 Aug 2012 20:22:30 6,619 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Online play would have made this game that little more appealing, but i'll still probably end up getting it. I am in the same boat as you now, saving up for a Wii U. Fortunately i've still got plenty of unplayed games on my 3DS though, so I don't have to worry about any kind of shortage while I save.

• the_dudefather 7 Aug 2012 20:32:49 9,396 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The reward for getting one million coins is amazing!

5:25

[youtube] dze00JTqkVU[/youtube]

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Afiddes 7 Aug 2012 20:59:40 1,164 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    that cant be real :S there must be more to it then that

3DS: 5198 2465 6450

• CharlieStCloud 10 Aug 2012 10:28:31 5,392 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    the_dudefather wrote:
    The reward for getting one million coins is amazing!
    ... by 'amazing', you mean amazingly underwhelming?

Super Mario 3D Land joyfulness, this is not!
  • waggy79 10 Aug 2012 11:31:40 1,073 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I would imagine he's being sarcastic there. Nintendo really don't reward their players for going the extra mile and fully completing their games.
    How many times have they just changed the title screen after you 100% it now?
  • Raiko101 10 Aug 2012 12:53:12 6,619 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well it's good to know that its a target not worth reaching before you've even tried.

• waggy79 10 Aug 2012 13:30:29 1,073 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lol true. I'm close to 5 starring 3D Land now and have enjoyed it so I guess as long as you love the journey the ending isnt as important.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last