Super Mario Coingasm (or NSMB2) Page 5

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• Raiko101 12 Sep 2012 11:53:09 5,589 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Don't spend 40 quid on the eShop version. It's not worth it. It's a great game, but it recycles a lot of materials and offers a very similar experience to previous games. It's worth getting, but 40 quid is daylight robbery!

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• kinky_mong 12 Sep 2012 11:58:28 9,609 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    30 for the boxed version is a bit of a piss take too seeing as it's barely a new game.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• PazJohnMitch 12 Sep 2012 12:16:26 7,316 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I got it from Lovefilm and felt slightly ripped off.
  • MrSemprini 12 Sep 2012 16:50:34 9,330 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I bought my copy from a mouldy tramp living in a rancid gutter for a 6 pack of Panther ale and felt hard done by.

Haven't seen much of the U version to suggest there will be a tsunami of innovation and fresh ideas there either.

Edited by MrSemprini at 16:50:53 12-09-2012
  • el_pollo_diablo 12 Sep 2012 20:52:22 2,032 posts
    Seen 9 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I haven't even got it and I'm feeling angry and swindled.
  • Raiko101 13 Sep 2012 03:46:56 5,589 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm not saying it's a bad game, because it isn't. In fact, I think the level design is more interesting than the previous two NSMB games. It's just not all that exciting any more. I don't really need any more of these games. If they'd just make one based on Super Mario Bros 2 though, and included 4-player co-op, i'd be firing out of every orifice with excitement.

• Gaol 13 Sep 2012 10:03:14 2,262 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not a bad game at all, best 2D Mario in ages imo. The bosses are a bit disappointing but everything else is tip top.
  • kinky_mong 13 Sep 2012 10:08:48 9,609 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    I'm not saying it's a bad game, because it isn't.
    Very true, and that's because the first NSMB wasn't a bad game, and this feels like a remix of it rather than a new game. I'm pretty sure that other than the coin based power ups the only new things in the game were the screen filling boo who scrolls the level when you're not looking at him, and the Koopa Clown Car turning you to stone in the last Castle.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• MrSemprini 13 Sep 2012 10:09:23 9,330 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    No, it's not a bad game by any means, it does exactly what you'd expect and absolutely nothing more. Instantly forgettable once completed with no incentive to replay it. Lacklustre throughout (world themes, music, graphics), as long as it's treated as an expansion pack to the two minor iterations that came before then any expectations of innovation will be tempered.
  • roz123 13 Sep 2012 10:22:40 7,107 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I have enjoyed it a lot more then the DS game. I'm taking it slow and attempting to collect all the coins without cheating which has made it a lot more fun. Some of the hidden exits are very clever. It is a game I pick up and play when I have 5-10 mins to kill rather then a game I play for hours at a time and its great for that, my biggest gripe is the bosses, those triceratops on ferris wheels are absolute shit.
  • Raiko101 16 Sep 2012 14:49:01 5,589 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So I think i'm missing just 3 secret exits now, and as a result, just 10 star coins. I've got a little over 50,000 coins and that's taken me 11 hours in all, including a run through some of the coin rush packs. I don't really see the point in coin rush when I don't have a goal to aim for, so I think that's just about me done with it. I capped very nearly 20 hours on Super Mario 3D Land, so it's quite depressing how quickly i've played through this. The thing is, I can see myself playing through 3D Land again. That almost certainly wont be the case with this one.

It's a shame we don't have any touch screen games, like there were in NSMB and SM64DS.

• roz123 28 Sep 2012 17:02:08 7,107 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DLC Trailer
  • Raiko101 28 Sep 2012 19:15:01 5,589 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've still to unlock stages in the main game, so I should probably be hunting those down first. It's nice to see the DLC going quite cheaply, albeit for just 3 stages at a time. Not getting into coin rush mode though, so might just end up giving them a miss. DLC for Mario Kart 7 or Super Mario 3D Land would be much welcome though!

• roz123 28 Sep 2012 19:36:17 7,107 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah 3D land is by far the better game, this isn't bad but it's not quite up to par, the bosses are a major let down. The DLC levels look fun
  • DFawkes 28 Sep 2012 20:13:35 22,112 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I wasn't entirely sold on Coin rush at first, but having given it some time I quite enjoy it now. To be honest I usually do it with White Racoon Mario, as I prefer charging through carefree. So I'll probably buy the new levels, they do look quite interesting, plus they're custom built for this mode.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• roz123 4 Oct 2012 10:25:58 7,107 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Anyone try the DLC?

Here is a video of someone playing it. I wouldn't watch the whole thing because it would just spoil it. The difficult pack at the end looks like a proper challenge

Edited by roz123 at 10:26:52 04-10-2012
  • DFawkes 4 Oct 2012 11:35:35 22,112 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I forgot this was today! I'll buy them when I get home, but it'd be remarkably pointless for me to post a review given how I feel about the main game is totally different to everyone else.

Actually I think I'll hold off, I've got a lot of stuff to finish first.

Edited by DFawkes at 11:49:58 04-10-2012

• MatMan562 4 Oct 2012 11:50:54 1,940 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    I forgot this was today! I'll buy them when I get home, but it'd be remarkably pointless for me to post a review given how I feel about the main game is totally different to everyone else.
    I'd be interested in your thoughts. I'm likely to be trading it in within the next few days but if the dlc is good enough I may keep hold of it.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Raiko101 4 Oct 2012 12:09:36 5,589 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    How many levels per pack? For some reason i'm under the impression it's just 3, but I have no idea.

• roz123 4 Oct 2012 12:13:04 7,107 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yep 3 packs each with 3 levels.
  • Raiko101 4 Oct 2012 12:33:31 5,589 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Not sure 9 levels are worth 6 pounds to be honest. At least not for me.

• DFawkes 4 Oct 2012 15:47:56 22,112 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, as a service to you lovely people, I bought the bundle at the bargain price of all the other prices added up :p Some small spoilerish things but it's not like there's a plot to spoil.

Overall, I should say that the levels generally feel like they were designed for this mode. I know they obviously were, but they don't feel like levels missing from the main game, and I'll definitely be playing them a good bit more.

Gold Rush Pack - This was probably my favourite of the 3. There are coins, always coins! So many coins, so much to collect, so it can be a challenge choosing the best coin path. Score chasing for this one should be good as there are plenty of little secrets hidden to optimise your coin collection. Pure gold chasing fun, plus it'll speed up your quest for a million. I'd definitely recommend this pack.

Coin Challenge Pack A - Not sold on this one. Some nice challenging sections (especially in the 3rd level), but this one is the closest to feeling like normal levels. The time limits are a bit tight, so it's not like you can just chill out, but they don't feel as well tuned to the whole Coin Rush concept. Still some nice original touches, but I really couldn't recommend this pack.

Nerve-Wreck Pack - This is a proper challenge! So much so I went for the White Raccoon option, yet it's STILL hard! In fact the second level in particular is a little harder.

The first level is almost entirely of coins, with a P Switch. One you start the course by hitting that switch, the race is on! You really have to leg it, and unearthing the other switches on the way to extend the duration can get quite tense. Even the Raccoon Suit is of little use most of the time.

The second level is rendered a lot harder with the White Raccoon Suit as it's a lot of long stretches of lava, with the intention being you bounce across enemies. So if you don't have at least a normal Raccoon Suit, you're going to have a bad time!

The last level is one of the ones that starts with a cannon firing you out so you can't stop, and your only platforms are Bullet Bill's. I have to admit I didn't reach the end.

This pack is definitely the best one for the Mario faithful who usually find it all too easy, as it's really challenging. I'd probably recommend this most for long-term fans looking for something to really test them.

So in summary, the Gold Rush is the most fun, Nerve-Wreck the most challenging, and Coin Challenge the closest to the original game and probably not worth your hard earned cash. Any specific questions, let me know :)

• MatMan562 4 Oct 2012 15:55:26 1,940 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thanks for that DFawkes! I think the Nerve-Wreck Pack would just frustrate me but the Gold Rush pack does sound fun.

With NSMBU out next month im going to just wait for that for my NSMB fix.

• DFawkes 4 Oct 2012 15:58:18 22,112 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you were intending on trading your copy in, I'm not sure there's anything strong enough to convince you otherwise. I would never trade mine in as I quite like a bit of Coin Rush, so if you're not a fan of that mode they're not good enough to change your mind.

They are the best Coin Rush levels though, better than anything in the rest of the game (even the Coin Challenge Pack is better suited than the main game level packs).

Edited by DFawkes at 15:59:19 04-10-2012

• MatMan562 4 Oct 2012 16:16:57 1,940 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking but I was interested to hear your thoughts anyway partly in case all 3 packs were really good and worth keeping hold of the game for but also because i'm interested in how Nintendo deal with dlc, this seems like a promising start in that regard.

I do quite like Coin Rush mode but I rarely play it and these packs don't seem like they'd change that.

Thanks again!

• joffocakes 9 Oct 2012 13:08:03 4 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The coin rush DLC, Nerve Wrack pack in particular, is absolutely excellent. I'd rate them all higher if it weren't for the first, easier one being cheapened a little by the game's 30,000 coin limit. I don't feel compelled to return to that one at all since there's no way of bettering myself. It's less likely that I'll hit 30k on the Nerve Wrack pack, and in true score attack fashion it always draws me back in for one more attempt at improving my coin total.

I'm on 22.692 coins on the Nerve Wrack pack at the moment, and I know I can definitely get more. Since the DLC was released I've collected over 900,000 coins from replaying that pack alone. It's been well worth the two quid it cost me.
  • roz123 27 Nov 2012 09:08:05 7,107 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago

Free DLC based on levels from the original SMB and SMB3
  • Deleted user 27 November 2012 11:00:32
    Great news. Available for free until 31st january 2013.

I'm loving this game just to add. It really revolves around find the 3 golden coins for each level.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last