Muse - The 2nd Law Page 3

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Next
  • Deleted user 30 September 2012 19:12:12
    Wasn't a fan of the stuff I heard off their last album and had written Muse off but I really liked Madness. Big fan of the guitar solo and the vocal harmonies.

I think they need to learn how to write decent lyrics though if they're going to be more prominent in their stuff. The resistance stuff was just plain embarrassing.
  • urban 30 Sep 2012 19:17:32 10,945 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Muse are a stadium rock band, if people in that stadium like dubstep, That's what they'll do.

I admire Matt Bellamy as an artist but I do not think they have made great music in a long time.

Hullabaloo was the last thing I bought of theirs, That live DVD still blows my socks off mind you.
  • Raiko101 1 Oct 2012 04:53:34 6,318 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lyrics have never been their strong point, but they don't take themselves too seriously anyway. I think you can thank John Leckie for Origin, which is about as serious as it ever got.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Murbal 1 Oct 2012 08:19:04 22,236 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    From the first time I heard Cave I knew they were my kind of thing. I saw them supporting (yes, supporting) Skunk Anansie some 12/13 years ago before I got hold of Showbiz and thought they were fantastic even then. I'll never refer to them as a favourite but will always pick up their stuff and no-one else really does this overblown epic sound any more.
  • boo 4 Oct 2012 11:04:30 11,786 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Listened to the album for the first time this morning.

On the whole, it gets a thumbs up. a few 'Huh?' moments along the way, but first listens are always like that.

Not sure about Chris W.'s voice - sounds a bit flat after Bellamy's histrionics, but it adds a different element I guess.

Opening two tracks are great, track 3 was a bit of a wobble (can't remember what it's called), and then it's broadly pretty good again.

The two final 2nd Law tracks are batshit mental, and while they don't reach the dizzy heights of the sublime Exogenesis Symphony, they're still cool.

Plenty of people have accused them of being musical magpies, picking up styles from other people, but face it - nobody else out there sounds like Muse.

Edited by boo at 11:06:00 04-10-2012

Just Another Lego Blog

• Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 4 Oct 2012 11:16:55 10,856 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The opening track is trying so hard to be a Bond theme it isn't funny. Really like it though :)

There are definitely a few missteps IMO creating a sound almost weak enough to be someone like Maroon 5 but, then again, The Resistance had similar weaknesses.

One thing you can't say is that Muse stand still and don't try different styles. Its not going to please everyone but I can safely say it will be on in my car for a while.
  • andywilkie35 4 Oct 2012 12:17:41 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The more I listen to it, the more I like it. A couple of duff tracks sure (Panic Station in particular) but some really good stuff too.

Much better than their last album anyway.

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• mcmonkeyplc 4 Oct 2012 12:21:13 39,458 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Glad more people are enjoying it now. I think it's better than Resistance now.

So my list goes.

Absolution
    Showbiz
    Origin of Symmetry
    The 2nd Law
    Black Holes and Revelations
    The Resistance

Come and get it cumslingers!

• kalel 4 Oct 2012 12:35:51 87,775 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    I saw them supporting (yes, supporting) Skunk Anansie some 12/13 years ago
    Was that at Exeter Uni per chance?
  • L0cky 4 Oct 2012 12:43:58 1,530 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Was really dubious on the the first listen, but it grows on you. I thought the dubstep was really too reactionary, but once you get over that you realise they do a good job with it.

I think it could be an awesome album, will have to see how I like it in a month or two.
  • Murbal 4 Oct 2012 12:45:00 22,236 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @kalel nope - I think it was Brixton Academy.
  • kalel 4 Oct 2012 13:16:25 87,775 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh. I crewed the equivalent gig at Exeter Uni. Skin broke her leg jumping off a speaker and carried on dancing around for the rest of the gig regardless. Crazy mentalist that she is.
  • Murbal 4 Oct 2012 13:24:24 22,236 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As you do. I saw Skunk Anansie a few times and it was always memorable for one reason or another :-)
  • Steve_Perry 11 Oct 2012 20:26:08 4,297 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I fucking love this album. It's nuts.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• boo 18 Oct 2012 11:05:05 11,786 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've listened to this a lot over the past couple of weeks. Wasn't sure about some of it to begin with, but by non-specific-deity it grows on you!
    Even the Chris Wolstenhome stuff, which I initially thought were a bit weak, start to reveal themselves after a few listens.

Madness is rapidly becoming a favourite. First off I thought it took too long to get going, but I just love the way it builds.

Top stuff.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Murbal 18 Oct 2012 11:27:29 22,236 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm really enjoying it too.
  • crsmithy 18 Oct 2012 11:44:12 22 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Like many people I was initially sceptical but this album has well and truly wormed its way into my head.

Stand out moments for me are Supremacy (Muse do Bond theme), Follow Me (I thought this would be terrible but it's grown on me a ton) and The 2nd Law: Isolated System (probably the best track on the album).

The second half doesn't flow quite as well as the first but I go over that after a few listens.

It's tough to rank their albums as I like them all but top 3 would probably be:

Absolution
    Origin of Symmetry
    Black Holes and Revelations/ 2nd Law/ Showbiz
  • boo 18 Oct 2012 11:59:57 11,786 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    While I do like the early stuff, I'd have to say that they've got better with each album, so in terms of rankage...

= 1 The 2nd Law / The Resistance
    3 Black Holes And Revelations
    4 Absolution
    5 Origin Of Symmetry
    6 Showbiz

In fact the only thing I don't like of theirs is the Hullabaloo DVD. Whichever epilepsy-inducing mong did the editing on that ought to be shot!

Just Another Lego Blog

• kalel 18 Oct 2012 12:06:12 87,775 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really liked Resistance and was enjoying the direction they were heading, but I'm not convinced by 2nd Law at all. It just feels very safe, and a step towards bands like Coldplay and U2 who make middle of the road music for the middle aged middle classes.

Still a few good tunes on there but as an album I think it's their worst.
  • mcmonkeyplc 18 Oct 2012 12:11:41 39,458 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's the first time I've ever heard 2nd Law described as safe.

That's cool though, cause I'd be worried if I agreed with you. :)

Come and get it cumslingers!

• kalel 18 Oct 2012 13:25:17 87,775 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It is safe in the sense that it's something for everyone. It's a bit of classic Muse, a bit of weirdo experimental stuff, and a bit of absolutely standard radio-friendly "you dad'll like it" soft rock.

It doesn't feel like a concept album like Resistance did, and it's not a cohesive rock album like they're earlier stuff. It feels like it's just trying to please everyone a bit to me - therefore "safe".
  • superflyninja 18 Oct 2012 16:33:35 462 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    hmmmmm this is a tough album. I love muse primarily cos they are fucking ace live. But i cannot stand all the preachy shit on this album. I blame Goldie Hawn's skanky daughter for that lol! After a number of listens this album is half good and half shite. I thought The Resistance was going in a bad direction but this has diving in head first.
    In short : cut the oil prices/preachy nature stuff and id be quite a happy camper.Chris 's vocals on that track really dont add anything and are quite flat in comparison to matt.

Put away those firey biscuits

• Raiko101 19 Oct 2012 04:28:18 6,318 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I actually consider The Resistance to the 'safe' album. It's a near-complete retread of their previous two albums. Exogenesis might well be the best thing they've ever written, and Uprising, Undisclosed Desires and USoE are all great, but nothing on there was too surprising or different from previous work.

At least with The 2nd Law you've got Chris' contributions, the brilliant Madness and the epic Unsustainable. Can't wait to hear Unsustainable live.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• crsmithy 19 Oct 2012 09:25:43 22 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Raiko101 Intrigued to see if or how they are going to play Follow Me and Unsustainable live. The former especially is quite heavily produced.

I love Muse live to the point where I listen to a track and try and work out how the hell they are going to do it live!
  • Steve_Perry 19 Oct 2012 09:42:54 4,297 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I can't stop listening to Unsustainable. I fucking hate dubstep too. Work that one out.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• tumbletoss 20 Oct 2012 14:11:23 16,030 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My God, they've gone full Queen. Nobody goes full Queen.
  • spamdangled 21 Oct 2012 00:31:05 27,355 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• spamdangled 21 Oct 2012 00:31:14 27,355 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Really enjoying this. Its lazy these days to compare them to Queen, but tracks like Panic Station give off vibes of Another One Bites the Dust.

Madness has severe echoes of I Want To Break Free,

Unsustainable is the Bond theme that never was, right down to using the classic string motif. Even the lyrics are bond-esque, which makes me seriously wonder if it was a contender for Skyfall's main song.

The whole album is very bass heavy, almost funky in a lot of places. I bet Wolstenholme had a blast recording it.

Panic Station is easily my favourite track on the album, and definite single material.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Next