Muse - The 2nd Law Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• Deleted user 20 August 2012 22:26:10
    Skrillex doesn't sound like deadmau5.
  • Deleted user 20 August 2012 22:29:44
    Toonster wrote:
    New song, 'Madness'.

For the first time since Origins of Symmetry, I don't think I'll be buying a new Muse album :/
    Sounds poor but still better than anything off the last album. Think I'll wait for previews of other songs before deciding but my hopes are really low so far.
  • Toonster 20 Aug 2012 22:33:15 6,835 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The last album had MK Ultra, the Exogenesis symphony and Unnatural Selection. Definitely not better than any of those, IMO.

I'll admit that the song gets better once that guitar solo kicks, but I don't want to wait almost 3 minutes for a shitty song to become decent.

3DS: 0361-6951-2609 (Tom)

• Deleted user 20 August 2012 23:02:02
    Oh, I didn't like those at all.

The biggest problem with the direction they're taking is the lyrics stand out more than they did before and their quality is really poor. When it's loud and energetic then they're more of the background to the noise.
  • Tricky 20 Aug 2012 23:39:30 4,361 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, never got the love for MK Ultra - there's much better songs on the last album (including the Exogenesis symphony). Both MK and Unnatural Selection just sound like watered down Muse from OoS era - trying to recapture something that isn't there any more... those two songs just sounded out of place on the last album,

Too many people bemoan the fact that they're not making albums like OoS any more even though they're still making genuinely interesting music. That Madness track actually sounds superb if you can get over the fact that it's not the Muse you're used to.
  • mcmonkeyplc 22 Aug 2012 14:42:37 39,387 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Madness is ok. Nothing special at all though. Survival is about a million times better. Hope it's more Survival and less Madness.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Metalfish 22 Aug 2012 14:57:00 8,788 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's a bit pop. I know not everything needs to be MASSIVE SOUNDS TM, but when only 25% of a song you're putting out to promote your album is worth listening to, it's not inspiring.
  • spamdangled 22 Aug 2012 15:02:26 27,269 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I actually really, really loved The Resistance. Some great tunes, and the over-the-top nature of it was perfectly suited to them.

Didn't think much of Black Holes and Revelations (Knights of Cydonia aside) or Absolution at all though.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Varkon 23 Aug 2012 14:45:54 22 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    I actually really, really loved The Resistance. Some great tunes, and the over-the-top nature of it was perfectly suited to them.

Didn't think much of Black Holes and Revelations (Knights of Cydonia aside) or Absolution at all though.
    Muse have been over the top since Origin of Symmetry though in all fairness
  • spamdangled 23 Aug 2012 15:40:52 27,269 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    True; in that sense it just felt like a natural progression than some sort of forced "look how eccentric we are" Queen-mimicry.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Raiko101 25 Aug 2012 05:58:56 6,068 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm loving the new single. It's a mile away from the tracks that got me into Muse 10 years ago, but i'm liking their more colourful side. Resistance is definitely their weakest album since Showbiz, but when they get a song right it's brilliant.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Toonster 21 Sep 2012 09:16:33 6,835 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Some new songs are leaking through (live recordings) and they actually sound pretty good.

First there's 'Animals'

And 'Save Me', which is actually performed by the bassist Chris.

• Raiko101 23 Sep 2012 21:22:20 6,068 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Going to have to wait until next week. I don't feel i'm getting a great impression with these. Sound quality is never great when it's recorded on a mobile phone. Especially not a gig.

• Toonster 24 Sep 2012 07:24:02 6,835 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The album has leaked, if people want to listen to it somewhere. Animals is a really good one.

• Raiko101 24 Sep 2012 20:23:36 6,068 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's all on the guardian website now anyway, so that's where i'm listening to it from. It's definitely different, but if you didn't like The Resistance much, there's not a lot for you here either lol. Fortunately i'm quite enjoying it. Not as exciting as other Muse albums though.

• Radamel 24 Sep 2012 22:55:28 587 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--UWOZj1Mvc

I'm listening to the album (i'm keeping my pre-order, anyway) right now and I must say it's a hit and miss. There are some really great songs. Uploaded Panic Station, one of my favourite.

The two songs featuring Chris' vocals are absolutely stunning. Liquid State is marvelous.

The 3 singles are by far the worse songs of the entire album. Muse did it again.

Edited by Radamel at 23:08:14 24-09-2012

Ó mar salgado, quanto do teu sal
    São lágrimas de Portugal!
    Por te cruzarmos, quantas mães choraram,
    Quantos filhos em vão rezaram!
    Quantas noivas ficaram por casar
    Para que fosses nosso, ó mar!

• Raiko101 25 Sep 2012 13:14:08 6,068 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I disagree. I think the singles are brilliant. Panic Station is another obvious single as well, though I think the production could have been a little better. Supremacy is brilliant, as are both parts of The 2nd Law. I personally feel Unsustainable should have opened the album, swaping places with Supremacy.

I will say the album becomes quite boring part way through. Follow Me is a grower and Animals is great. However, Explorers, Big Freeze and Liquid State are all quite 'meh'. Save Me is great though!

These guys could really do with a producer. Some one who can give their albums some consistency. This album is all over the place.

Edited by Raiko101 at 13:20:13 25-09-2012

• glaeken 25 Sep 2012 13:20:44 11,094 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That is not doing anything for me. For some reason it reminds me of jamiroquai
  • mcmonkeyplc 25 Sep 2012 13:25:21 39,387 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You can listen to it on the guardian website for free.

Supremacy sounds awesome...hell even Madness is growing on me.

Survival was always awesome.

Suckle doubters :)

• mcmonkeyplc 25 Sep 2012 13:32:18 39,387 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Radamel wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--UWOZj1Mvc

I'm listening to the album (i'm keeping my pre-order, anyway) right now and I must say it's a hit and miss. There are some really great songs. Uploaded Panic Station, one of my favourite.

The two songs featuring Chris' vocals are absolutely stunning. Liquid State is marvelous.

The 3 singles are by far the worse songs of the entire album. Muse did it again.
    Survival is awesome thank you very much.

• jagg3r 25 Sep 2012 16:03:23 1,028 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    After a third listen the album is growing on me, Survival and madness are as good as it gets on this album imo.The album starts of great but goes off a bit in the middle, totally agree with Raiko101 that the album feels all over the place.
  • Radamel 25 Sep 2012 20:32:40 587 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @mcmonkeyplc Yep, it is awesome. But that doesn't contradict what I stated. I think the 3 singles are the worse songs of the whole record. Yet, I like them all.

• mcmonkeyplc 25 Sep 2012 23:35:39 39,387 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ah ok.

I actually think follow me is becoming my favourite song of the album.

The album is definetly a grower not a shower :)

• Raiko101 26 Sep 2012 16:17:11 6,068 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Follow Me has definitely grown on me. Big Freeze is also growing on me, though I feel dirty for enjoying it. The whole U2 rip-off guitar during the verses doesn't do the song any favours.

• mcmonkeyplc 28 Sep 2012 10:21:40 39,387 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm on the 5th play through now (or about that much) and I'm starting to love all the songs. Even panic stations and Animals!

Explorers and save me aren't on my "unofficial stream" so I don't know about those.

It's pretty amazing how much you can go from thinking something is shit to being pretty good in the space of a few playbacks.

• Toonster 28 Sep 2012 11:17:49 6,835 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hmm, might have to give some of the other songs another listen, but nothing too special so far, with two exceptions. 'Save Me' is a good 'un, but 'Animals' is definitely my fave so far, and reminds me a lot of some of their older work, especially Origin of Symmetry.

edit: Panic Station... Red Hot Chili Peppers? But it's a fun one, actually.

Edited by Toonster at 11:21:45 28-09-2012

• Tricky 29 Sep 2012 01:15:20 4,361 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well so far after about 10 complete listen-throughs I'm tempted to say that this is one of their better albums. Certainly better than Resistance and possibly Black Holes... too.

Supremacy should have been the official song for Skyfall, I actually like Survival now and Madness continues to be as great as it was when I first heard it.

I've seen too many people complaining that they don't think it 'flows' as an album because of the changing styles but I don't think it's a valid criticism - the gear changes aren't crunching at all and it's great to hear a band trying out some different sounds, even if Unsustainable doesn't quite work as well as it thinks it does.

There's a distinct whiff of cheese to songs like Explorers and Follow Me but they still somehow work brilliantly and whilst I'm not as big a fan of Chris's contributions, maybe they'll grow on me more.

Current album order in terms of favourites goes like this for me right now:

Absolution
    Origin Of Symmetry
    2nd Law
    Black Holes and Revelations
    Showbiz
    Resistance
  • Tricky 29 Sep 2012 01:22:40 4,361 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Actually, I have to admit that once it gets going, Unsustainable does have its moments - it's still a bloody good track. Despite itself.
  • Raiko101 29 Sep 2012 17:22:39 6,068 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I love Unsustainable. I think it should have opened the album. It's a shame it's not longer. I rate the album on par with Resistance, I think. Maybe slightly better. I still prefer Origin and Black Holes myself, but i'm more than happy with this one too.

• Radamel 30 Sep 2012 18:55:21 587 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Tricky Totally agreed. I love all their albums (don't judge me as a fanboy, though, as I was pretty skeptical about this one), including The Resistance, but The 2nd Law is like a return to their origins, not in terms of the songs per se but in terms of how they are trying new, fancy things.

Either in terms of rhythm, lyrics or instrumentals this album is amazing. Animals is growing really big on me. It's already one of my favorite Muse songs ever.

Amortise, downsize, lay off, kill yourself
    Come on and do us all a favour.

I found this line so greatly deep and epic. Just fantastic.

My album order is something like this:

Absolution
    The 2nd Law
    Showbiz
    Origin of Symmetry
    Black Holes and Revelations
    The Resistance

But as I said before, I love all of them.

• Page

of 3 First / Last