Dead Island : Riptide Page 5

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Next
  • Deleted user 29 April 2013 11:41:07
    @agparrot Techland seem to have real trouble when it comes to stairs! Maybe they should miss them out completely next time!!

See when you say slow down with the water bits, how bad/frequently does it happen?
  • agparrot 29 Apr 2013 12:03:56 11,903 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BillCityfingers wrote:
    @agparrot Techland seem to have real trouble when it comes to stairs! Maybe they should miss them out completely next time!!

See when you say slow down with the water bits, how bad/frequently does it happen?
    The odd thing about the water-splash slowdown is that it doesn't seem to happen every time, and it doesn't seem to be dependent on density of enemies - sometimes it just seems that one bouyant zombie corpse can instigate a lot of splash effects. I've only seen it a handful of times, it isn't something that plagues the playtime.

While we're on the subject of negative things, and bearing in mind that I'm still grinning for the majority of the time I'm playing the game, there are some odd choices made in the design. There are 'Dead Zones' where you are often sent for particular fetch-and-carry quests, and that usually contain some high quality loot, and each area has a named boss - usually something like a variant of one of the normal bosses, like a 'fast' Thug or a Butcher that regenerates its health whenever it hits you

The problem with the Dead Zones, and the 'caves' where you can often find new mods, is that they are the same. I don't just mean they are quite alike, I mean they are cut and pasted small arenas that are identical in every detail other than the loot and the zombie occupants. It is in keeping with the overall gloss of the game, of course, and could be interpreted as a postmodern reflection on game design generally, and the under-developed tomb elements of Tomb Raider in particular, but I suspect this isn't really what prompted their creation and re-use.
  • Deleted user 29 April 2013 12:20:19
    Talking of the same, do you still get presented with a generic head when you decapitate a zombie? That always irked me.
  • agparrot 29 Apr 2013 12:27:55 11,903 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BillCityfingers wrote:
    Talking of the same, do you still get presented with a generic head when you decapitate a zombie? That always irked me.
    Um, I haven't noticed! There are more varieties of zombies, both in appearance and with a clearer distinction between flaming / toxic types.

The main reason I've not noticed about the heads is that I've been using new-guy John, and most of the weapons I've used have been either blunt or hand-to-hand, so there hasn't been a great deal of scope for decapitation and dismemberment.

There is a little bug with some of the new weapons, too. Things like the Scottish Dirk - ostensibly a bladed weapon, looks like a knife, has the little knife symbol next to it, but in practical use in the game doesn't actually do any slicing off of things, it acts more like a blunt weapon.

Design feature, I'm sure.
  • Deleted user 29 April 2013 12:49:08
    Still looking forward to it. If I ever have money again :-S

It just reeks of b movie awesomeness.
  • agparrot 29 Apr 2013 13:18:10 11,903 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BillCityfingers wrote:
    Still looking forward to it. If I ever have money again :-S

It just reeks of b movie awesomeness.
    Indeed.

I'm not mentioning these things to try and put anyone off, because Riptide is a slightly better-playing version of the first game with an overall cleaner look, an increased diversity of weapons, enemies and skills, albeit these are more tweaks than revolutions, and it maintains the same ambience that people who loved the first game will appreciate.

A lot of the reviews comment that it's not revolutionary enough, and I'd agree with this to some extent, but there are a number of subtle changes to many of the game elements, and the boats and water zombies and presumably the hubs, when I get to them. The more you play it, the more you get to see that, however subtle, there are quite a few changes to the game that make it all a bit smoother, while obviously not being able to escape its, erm, unique charms.

Lots of reviews said it should innovate, but I've not read any meaningful suggestions as to how this should take place. I've already got a few ideas, I'm going to note them down at some point when I'm not... you know... busy playing it!

edit:

Also, if you hold down the back/select button, there is a really very handy mini-wheel that allows you to select which 'menu' screen you want to jump to - Inventory, Map, Skills and so on. It's a small change, but it's a really really neat idea that saves a lot of mucking about paging between menu screens.

Edited by agparrot at 13:19:51 29-04-2013
  • BeebleB 29 Apr 2013 17:28:09 780 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Its like evil dead 2 in that it's more a revision than a sequel. Seems more balanced to me though. I hit the 15 hour mark yesterday and I've had a great time.
  • Kujata 29 Apr 2013 18:47:25 2,244 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Loving this, as I did the original. The decision to allow you to play co-op regardless of level was a great one.
  • agparrot 29 Apr 2013 18:53:44 11,903 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kujata wrote:
    Loving this, as I did the original. The decision to allow you to play co-op regardless of level was a great one.
    Definitely, it seems like a bit of an omission in other co-op games like Borderlands and whatnot that you can't do this.

It gives co-op groups control over when they play together rather than based on some arbitrary restrictions set by the developer.
  • Kujata 30 Apr 2013 18:26:17 2,244 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Agreed. I understand that some people aren't fans of it as I means scaling the bad guys to the players level, somewhat removing the feeling of progression. But when it lets me play co-op with my friends with such flexibility I think it's worth the trade off. Also it was a bit too easy to outlevel the story in Borderlands 2 by doing too many side missions, which scaling clearly negates.

Dead Island could do with learning from BL2 on mission tracking though. Only being able to record mission progress if I'm at the same point in the story as the host feels a bit backwards now.
  • Slint1000 30 Apr 2013 19:41:00 3,065 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    As great as the co-op stuff is in this game though; it could really do without causing all the Xbox hard locks it has!

Something about this game doesn't like certain people joining others and just crashing xboxes all over the place :(

When it does work though; it's awesome fun and I haven't laughed as much at any other game in ages. Hitting zombies is great fun but so is laughing at the terrible animations and dialogue which are actually quite charming in Dead Island when I'd probably find them awful in some AAA title.

Edited by Slint1000 at 23:57:17 01-05-2013
  • Kujata 1 May 2013 20:01:09 2,244 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hmmm read somewhere that Riptide is a fair bit bigger than the original, but we're on only the second major location and the story seems to be drawing to a close. Really enjoy what I've played, but the variety of environments was definitely greater in the original I think.

I think I enjoy Dead Island partly because it is so shonky. Games have gotten to a point where they are often polished to the point of becoming a little dull, almost everything has AAA standards these days. I miss the quirky B games of the PS2 era, and that's exactly what DI reminds me of.
  • BeebleB 1 May 2013 22:41:49 780 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm pretty sure it's smaller than the last game. I've done 68 missions and eighty something percent of the main quest and only logged about 19hours..
  • Defecationqueen 29 Mar 2014 16:06:02 168 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    PS3 related question: the original Dead Island had a completely broken multiplayer system that prevented co-op with friends, and rarely worked with strangers. Does Dead Island Riptide have the same multiplayer problems for PS3, or is it now fixed?

I'm tempted to buy it, but only for online co-op with a friend. If the multiplayer is still broken then I won't bother.

Any ideas?
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Next