Beyond: Two Souls Page 3

• Page

of 14 First / Last

• DUFFMAN5 14 Sep 2013 09:04:29 14,435 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Im still looking forward to this, pre ordered the steelbox months ago. It will prob be the last hard copy I buy for the ps3, the previous one being The Last Of Us, not a bad way to bow out :)

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• jamesi 16 Sep 2013 01:24:17 197 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hmmmm not sure if i should cancel my pre-order for this,as i never really liked heavy rain and from that video this looks to play exactly the same.Heavy rain just didn't feel like a game to me.Also with gta coming out...
  • Ranger_Ryu 16 Sep 2013 02:17:51 1,025 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @jamesi

wait till the demo comes out give it a try and if you don't like it,then you can cancel your pre order.
  • Progguitarist 16 Sep 2013 13:20:30 10,401 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You'd have to be some kind of mentalist to not buy this. Willem Defoe is in the for fucks sake.
  • Tuffty 16 Sep 2013 13:49:10 1,507 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I am absolutely all for games to be crazy ambitious and try things no other game has done before.

I feel that people tend to skip over the fact that Farenheit and Heavy Rain had terrible stories and boring gameplay. For all David Cage's talk of furthering the medium in ways that only he knows how, I think back to the office bug moment in Farenheit as an example of what he's talking about. So stupid. Don't get me started on Heavy Rain's narrative which is just outright deceptive and lies to you come the end of the game.

Thing is The Walking Dead had the same issue of gameplay that wasn't especially exciting but it was backed up by a fantastic story and characters. That to me is a better example of a game furthering the story telling abilities of the medium.

Who knows, Beyond might actually be great. I do think it will be interesting to see people's reactions to it, so it has that going for it at least.

Edited by Tuffty at 13:52:28 16-09-2013
  • King_Edward 16 Sep 2013 14:20:14 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't think people are overlooking the gameplay and story in those games. They just don't agree with you that they were bad. I think segments of the gameplay and story in Heavy Rain were exceptional.
  • Stranded87 16 Sep 2013 14:29:44 865 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I liked Heavy Rains gameplay. It might be considered slight and a lot of the 'choice' the game gave you was smoke and mirrors but I thought it played well.

But yeah, the writing in both that and Fahrenheit was terrible and that's my main concern with Beyond. Hopefully Cage has learnt how to end a story.
  • Widge Moderator 19 Sep 2013 08:25:19 13,268 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    As a narrator, Shelby is allowed to lie though.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Punctum 19 Sep 2013 09:22:33 932 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Tuffty wrote:
    I am absolutely all for games to be crazy ambitious and try things no other game has done before.

I feel that people tend to skip over the fact that Farenheit and Heavy Rain had terrible stories and boring gameplay.

Thing is The Walking Dead had the same issue of gameplay that wasn't especially exciting but it was backed up by a fantastic story and characters. That to me is a better example of a game furthering the story telling abilities of the medium/quote]

Perhaps The Walking Dead (and I would add The Last Of Us) is an indirect result of Cage's ambitions with Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain.

Edited by Punctum at 09:22:48 19-09-2013

Edited by Punctum at 09:23:20 19-09-2013
  • DUFFMAN5 25 Sep 2013 13:18:46 14,435 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @elmastero
    I thought it was Oct 1/2 for the demo ?

• DUFFMAN5 25 Sep 2013 13:49:21 14,435 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @elmastero
    Great stuff
    I pre ordered from Amazon ages ago, I bet that doesn't count.

• Ror1984 25 Sep 2013 13:50:22 2,853 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I thought it was just a week or so early for PS+ members? I don't remember hearing anything about pre-orders getting early access. I also went with Amazon.

EDIT: Ah, you have to have pre-ordered from Game to get it today. Balls.

Edited by Ror1984 at 13:53:20 25-09-2013

FFXIV: ARR - Khroma Midgard, Odin.

• Rose-of-Sorrow 25 Sep 2013 13:57:22 492 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've got the demo ( (via Gamespot but you need a US account.) I'll write something about it once I've had a good play through of it. One thing to mention now though; it makes use of the 'cinematic' black bars during gameplay, unfortunately.
  • Tuffty 25 Sep 2013 13:59:15 1,507 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    elmastero wrote:
    @Tuffty You are totally , and
    @Stranded87 You are partially
    being unreasonable and unfair, to put in short.
    How am I? I said I had hopes that Beyond might actually turn out good!

Unfair about Farenheit/Heavy Rain? Well, I have played them and didn't like them sooo....sorry? For having a different opinion?

Punctum wrote:
    Perhaps The Walking Dead (and I would add The Last Of Us) is an indirect result of Cage's ambitions with Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain.
    Then I would be glad of that. Because the developers saw that and thought 'Great idea for a game, now let's make it better.'

I can concede, my dislike for the games is in part because of my dislike for Cage. "Game overs are a failure of the game designer." Pretentious twat. What about the game over states in your games, sorry, 'movies' David?

Edited by Tuffty at 14:59:23 25-09-2013
  • Rose-of-Sorrow 25 Sep 2013 15:11:33 492 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ok, a few impressions:

* The right analogue works well, much better than simply hitting a face button every time and gives the action sequences more fluidity.

* Playing as Aiden seems fun, floating through walls- eavesdropping on conversations in other rooms, possessing people, and generally scaring the shit out of everyone. Controls well too, all nice and floaty!

* It's pleasing that certain scenes play out slightly differently depending on what you do, although the first scene in the demo seemed to play out the same way no matter what I did.

* Cinematic black bars: I understand that they're going for that film look, but I'd rather not have two rather thick black bars when I'm playing a videogame.

* Nice little details to explore in the environment, particularly in Jodie's room as a child.

Edited by Rose-of-Sorrow at 15:12:03 25-09-2013
  • DUFFMAN5 25 Sep 2013 15:53:09 14,435 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Rose-of-Sorrow

Cheers Rose, my pre order seems safe then :)

• Tricky 25 Sep 2013 15:56:20 4,362 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rose-of-Sorrow wrote:

* Cinematic black bars: I understand that they're going for that film look, but I'd rather not have two rather thick black bars when I'm playing a videogame.
    Seems a trivial issue to complain about, especially when everyone who does nearly always acknowledges in the same sentence that they know why they're there.

My feelings about Cage's games notwithstanding, it makes perfect sense that these interactive movies are presented as such. I don't mind my Blu Rays doing it, so I have no issue with this game doing it.

My impressions of the demo? Exactly what you'd expect and I don't think it's going to change anyone's opinion either way if they've played Cage's previous games. One thing that did at least make me happier is that it seems to flow better than Heavy Rain did - the acting is more natural, although we're still in the realms of uncanny valley and slightly stiff movement. I'm prepared to give the full game a go, but not at full price.
  • AMD500 25 Sep 2013 16:21:10 130 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    To those who already have the demo, did you get it because you pre-ordered from Game or is there another way to obtain the demo early?
  • Rose-of-Sorrow 25 Sep 2013 16:41:25 492 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Tricky It's not a big deal, just a personal preference. I don't believe it adds anything to the experience. :-)
  • dominalien 26 Sep 2013 08:56:49 6,839 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Demo's out on PSN now. Looks like a + exclusive?

PSN: DonOsito

• Punctum 26 Sep 2013 09:02:20 932 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Can't see it anywhere?
  • dominalien 26 Sep 2013 09:04:42 6,839 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Punctum wrote:
    dominalien wrote:
    Can't see it anywhere?
    I have it in the instant game collection.

PSN: DonOsito

• Punctum 26 Sep 2013 09:15:07 932 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Ah, will check again after Far Cry 3 has installed.
  • Punctum 26 Sep 2013 09:27:09 932 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Nope, not there anymore, annoyingly.
  • Page

of 14 First / Last