Beyond: Two Souls Page 14

• Page

of 14 First / Last

Next
  • King_Edward 17 Oct 2013 20:04:59 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Christ this Navajo shit is embarrassing.
  • Darren 18 Oct 2013 15:50:55 8,321 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Beyond: Two Souls Steelbook Edition for 15.00 *here* (SimplyGames).

*EDIT*
    I just ordered myself a copy - at that price it's worth getting IMO - but it's now showing as 32.85 so it looks like I may have gotten the last copy. Sorry!

*EDIT 2*
    It looks like it was a pricing error as SimplyGames cancelled my order without any explanation even though I'd paid for it via PayPal. I've just rattled off a complaint email to ask them why they didn't have the decency to explain why they'd cancelled the order and why they did it AFTER I'd paid for it!!!

Edited by Darren at 16:06:19 18-10-2013

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• jkrodal 25 Oct 2013 10:22:29 155 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    Christ this Navajo shit is embarrassing.
    My least favorite part as well. It felt disconnected to the rest of the game.

That said, after having finished the game once(on my second playthrough now), I really enjoyed how this game developed the bond between Jodie and Aiden. To me, that's what the game was all about.

Also the soundtrack is the best I've heard in years. It's up on PSN too. Recommended!
  • Triggerhappytel 1 Nov 2013 01:31:12 2,664 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone know how long this game is, roughly? I've just finished the section where they shut down the portal to the other side. Probably done about 10 chapters, or memories, or whatever you'd call them. Honestly not really liking it so far, I'm already thinking of selling it. There's just not enough actual game in there, the controls are mostly horrible and I don't really care for the scenario overall. I liked Heavy Rain a lot despite its many flaws, but I'm really not feeling this one after a couple of hours or so.
  • King_Edward 1 Nov 2013 07:29:13 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I can't be sure but it felt like it took about 10 to 15 years, and sucked all the joy from my life.
  • Triggerhappytel 8 Nov 2013 23:12:00 2,664 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Still plugging away at this. Just reached the Navajo desert chapter. Not enjoying the game much at all; I quite like the idea, but I think the execution is fucking awful. It basically is a film where I sometimes have to press a button or move to analogue stick. I hope I'm near the end so I can finish the damn thing and sell it. Thankfully I didn't use the online pass code.
  • Triggerhappytel 8 Nov 2013 23:14:33 2,664 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And you know what else? Cunting game never saves my settings when I invert the Y axis. That alone is a massive black mark against it in my book. Sick bastards.
  • Triggerhappytel 9 Nov 2013 00:09:02 2,664 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fucking Navajo chapter goes on forever. Gaah, make it stop!
  • chub 9 Nov 2013 00:46:22 434 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Triggerhappytel I liked the Navajo chapter personally. At least you get to do something. By the way, you're about 2/3rds through the game, so still plenty to go.
  • Triggerhappytel 9 Nov 2013 23:30:04 2,664 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SHIMASANI!!
  • Triggerhappytel 12 Nov 2013 23:32:25 2,664 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Y'know what's really fun? Using blue dots to direct a turquoise stream into Jodie's head to instigate a cutscene. It's so fun and immersive.
  • Triggerhappytel 16 Nov 2013 01:33:34 2,664 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Finally finished it. Mixed feelings overall; I still think that the gameplay was balls for the most part, but I did like elements of the narrative - just wish you didn't have to dig through so much shite to get there. They could have cut out the Navajo stuff, most of the CIA and Ryan chapters and done a really good character piece on Cole, Nathan and Jodie. I found the supernatural elements interesting for the most part, but it got way too silly at the end with the Black Sun, and in my ending I stayed alive and went back to the homeless bunch, and at the very end it showed Jodie having trained a grown up Zoe to fight demons from the other side, with the two of them facing off against a huge rift in a city. It was just so ridiculous and wannabe Terminator sci-fi.

I dunno. I guess I'm glad I played it, but I'm gonna sell it now as I won't be playing it again. I'd probably recommend it merely as a rental, because it was weaker than Heavy Rain IMO and probably on a par with, if not slightly inferior to Fahrenheit.
  • neil74 16 Nov 2013 09:03:04 2,305 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I posted about this in the recently completed thread last night.

No idea how to score this one. On a positive note the story was pretty engrossing but too many of the levels felt unrelated to the main thread other than maybe to flesh out Jodie's character.

The gameplay is another matter, I found the controls were frustrating, not in a heavy rain give up and eBay the game after a few hours kind of way but irritating nonetheless I felt like the controls got in the way and the qtes and flashbacks were uniintuitive. There is also as many a review have pointed out the fact that you often feel like a passenger rather than a participant .

Tricky. I'm going with 7/10 for the overall experience, if they'd wrapped the story in a better GAME this could have been a 10/10
  • neil74 16 Nov 2013 09:03:21 2,305 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Triggerhappytel wrote:
    Y'know what's really fun? Using blue dots to direct a turquoise stream into Jodie's head to instigate a cutscene. It's so fun and immersive.
    So annoying!
  • Triggerhappytel 16 Nov 2013 11:13:30 2,664 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is one of the few games where I could understand people's ratings from anything from a 4/10 to a 9/10. I'm not surprised it got such diverse reviews. Myself, I'd probably go with 6/10. An interesting experience but highly flawed game.
  • Deleted user 16 November 2013 11:27:37

It isn't about the gameplay, as such there isn't any and it doesn't need to.

The African level was the only one really and it worked fine if you didn't try to play it like gears of war.

Can see why some would hate it though.
  • -cerberus- 11 Dec 2013 00:29:22 2,099 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just gave the demo a go. The game's visuals sure prove the ol' PS3 is still a capable beast!
    The Experiment was great but all my enthusiasm went down the shitter when I played The Hunt. This is even worse than Heavy Rain... :rolleyes: How much of the game is like demo's first level though?

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• Soton4084 11 Dec 2013 01:51:49 70 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @-cerberus-

The actual game was a lot better than the demo in my opinion. I personally loved the storyline and felt that the acting was very good. It is however worth mentioning that the game is quite clunky at times to play (more so than Heavy Rain at times).

It's a bit of a Marmite game to be honest. I loved it, but others hated it!
  • DisappointedDunceky 11 Jan 2014 05:28:40 154 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Just read on Gamespot that Beyond has sold out a million copies before Christmas.No great, since it wouldn't most likely surpass Heavy Rain, but definitely heart-warming, given the stupid critical reactions.

Edited by DisappointedDunceky at 06:18:32 11-01-2014
  • PhantomBeast10 25 Feb 2014 08:42:29 1 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    This game is so f-cking awesome
    l love this game
    Jodie just became my most favourite video game character after playing this game
    This game for me should be 5 out of 5
  • PazJohnMitch 25 Feb 2014 10:18:41 7,276 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I thought it was ok but nothing special. The camera in particular was atrocious.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 25 Feb 2014 10:22:37 24,576 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought it was crap.
  • thefilthandthefury 14 Apr 2014 01:07:35 24,901 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Finally started this and good god, I'm loving it. I was addicted to Heavy Rain though so this was an easy choice for me to pick up. Loving every second, though I'm not too far into it yet.

It helps that I love Ellen Page, of course.
  • DUFFMAN5 14 Apr 2014 06:33:10 13,814 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @thefilthandthefury

One of only 3 actual physical games I have for my PS3, I am looking forward to playing it...I will start it before PS5 comes out at the very least!

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• thefilthandthefury 14 Apr 2014 08:26:15 24,901 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    @thefilthandthefury

One of only 3 actual physical games I have for my PS3, I am looking forward to playing it...I will start it before PS5 comes out at the very least!
    You sound as bad as me! Takes me bloody ages to get round to even the games I'm excited about!

It's well worth it though, at least from what I've been able to play so far. It's different to Heavy Rain but a similar type of gameplay, so if people don't like that then I doubt they'd be into this.
  • DUFFMAN5 14 Apr 2014 09:34:24 13,814 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @thefilthandthefury
    Good stuff
    Heavy Rain and TLoU are my 2 stand outs on the PS3 :)

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• PazJohnMitch 14 Apr 2014 09:54:18 7,276 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Beyond manages the very impressive feat of being better and worse than Heavy Rain at precisely the same time.

No issues with the gameplay just the poor attempt at Tarantino out of sequence story telling.

There are 2 very good chapters and most are ok on their own but they never formed a cohesive whole for me.
  • Page

of 14 First / Last

Next