Beyond: Two Souls Page 6

• Page

of 15 First / Last

• Deleted user 3 October 2013 14:31:56
    Playing through the demo for the erm...well, lets just say a few times :)

Think the controls are a lot better on this then Heavy Rain. The right stick acts as your actions. Almost all your character needs to do, will work through this. So in a fight for example, if you running to the right and someone goes to punch you, you simple move the right stick towards the direction of the attacker and Jodie will do the rest. Easy.
  • King_Edward 3 Oct 2013 16:44:09 11,467 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Can you play the demo with your phone?
  • Deleted user 3 October 2013 16:53:28
    Huh?
  • King_Edward 3 Oct 2013 16:54:33 11,467 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You're supposed to be able to play the whole game with a smart phone. Wondered if it worked for the demo.
  • Deleted user 3 October 2013 17:01:41
    Oh right. Just looked that up. Apparently that's the two player Co-op mode. One plays as Jodie, the other as Aiden. That's actually pretty clever. It's not available on the demo though as its only 1 player.

You know, playing the demo has made me realise something about Aiden though. Does his power come from Jodie? Cause if you go too far in the experiment room, Jodie starts screaming and randomly gets a nose bleed?
  • pacrifice 3 Oct 2013 17:07:30 1,129 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Played the demo and really enjoyed it.

I really want to get this along with last of us but just waiting for them to depreciate. Hope they do when the next gen consoles and games are available.
  • xuiton 3 Oct 2013 17:18:39 297 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    lol games like this are better in a heavy rain settings like a detective or something.

they've literally just made it into a complete interactive movie. this game will sell just as much as heavy rain, except they spent probably 3 times the budget and got hollywood actors.

+ david cage is a cunt

Edited by xuiton at 17:19:06 03-10-2013
  • Deleted user 3 October 2013 17:31:26
    Seem to remember Lucas getting a nose bleed, but like you, I can't remember for the life of me why. Was it something to do with him first using his powers?

Cage makes interesting games, but I do wish he'd think before he puts himself in front of a mic. He comes out with some right rubbish lol.

Edited by SG59 at 17:32:11 03-10-2013
  • wobbly_Bob 3 Oct 2013 18:17:30 1,898 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just played the demo and it's not for me. It's not a game, it's an interactive movie. I felt like a lab rat! Press this, now press this, move here, press this, move this stick left, move this stick up. Graphics, art direction, sound, music score, facial animation, cinematography and so on are all amazing... It's just not a game. I'm glad I got to try the demo.
  • CharlieStCloud 3 Oct 2013 18:45:01 5,395 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It is nice to play/watch a good game/story unfold ... something very different, I suppose!

Going to wave goodbye to this thread now.

I cannot be dealing with any potential spoilers.

Enjoy the game folks!

: )
  • Deleted user 3 October 2013 19:42:16
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    Just played the demo and it's not for me. It's not a game, it's an interactive movie. I felt like a lab rat! Press this, now press this, move here, press this, move this stick left, move this stick up. Graphics, art direction, sound, music score, facial animation, cinematography and so on are all amazing... It's just not a game. I'm glad I got to try the demo.
    It was always going to be an interactive movie. Just like the Walking dead and Heavy Rain.
  • chrisno21 3 Oct 2013 22:29:16 1,544 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not overly convinced by the demo, am hovering over the cancel button, will wait for some reviews unless the embargo is too late to cancel.

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• dominalien 6 Oct 2013 10:47:16 7,030 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was very convinced by the demo, I'm now hovering over the pre order button :-)

PSN: DonOsito

• Ror1984 6 Oct 2013 12:15:22 4,117 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The demo was essentially what I expected it to be (although, as I said, I had watched someone play bits of it at the Expo). It does often feel like you're flicking the right stick to continue a cutscene, but it's the story and characters that are going to carry this as far as I'm concerned, and I'm intrigued enough by that to keep my pre-order in place.

FFXIV: ARR - Khroma Midgard, Odin.

• dominalien 6 Oct 2013 13:38:37 7,030 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Interestingly, the bit I liked the most was scaring the woman during the experiment. I felt actual glee smashing all the things. I thought it was really well done.

In contrast, the part I liked least as the lack of freedom in the same scene, where I could only walk around a very short distance and even though I managed to possess one of the techs, I couldn't really do anything interesting with him.

In any case, I thought it was very Fahrenheit-y, which is all good as far as I'm concerned.

PSN: DonOsito

• RawShark 6 Oct 2013 13:53:02 3 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've got Special Edition on pre-order but I'm in two minds over cancelling. Not because I didn't enjoy the demo or don't ever intend to buy it, but because I'm considering whether 30+ is too much for the game right now. I've got a lot of games on the backlog right now and I could come back in a few months time and get it for around 20.

My main concern isn't that it feels a bit on rails (it was never going to be too far a stretch from Heavy Rain) but that the demo felt like it was impossible to fail/die. I swear I screwed up loads during the train escape and I wasn't exactly speedy during the attack in the town either, but things kept going regardless.

It's definitely a game I'll enjoy, but I guess I'll see how I feel as this week rolls on.
  • DUFFMAN5 6 Oct 2013 14:14:17 15,229 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @RawShark

I can echo the above statement.
    What I would say is you could probably playthrough the game and get as much back for it, maybe more than you paid in the first place. Sounds mercanery but it might be the best solution for you

I have the ltd edition on pre-order as well,cost 32 lots of places want 40+ now.

I still cant decide if I should hit the cancel button or not, I think most of my game time is going to be taken up playing GTA online,

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Ror1984 6 Oct 2013 14:15:04 4,117 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @dominalien I was glad to see that you don't actually have to choke the poor woman, as I'd watched about four or five people do at the Expo! It was enough just to scare her and return to Jodie where I was prompted to press 'X' to end the experiment. I also possessed that tech - I wonder if that is in the game simply to show that you can possess people? I'm assuming it's fairly early in the game.

@RawShark I don't think there is any type of fail state in the game. David Cage said in his EGX dev session that instead of game over screens, he wanted 'failure' to instead take a slightly different direction in the story. But then what happens if there is only one outcome in a given scene? I'm assuming the siege is one of these parts and you simply have to keep going until you get it right. It might feel a bit ham-fisted if that's the case though; during that siege part, while in control of Aiden, Jodie kept shouting things like "hurry up, they're coming for me!", yet when I looked down on the scene, they were all just milling about, in no apparent hurry to move on her :D

• Deleted user 7 October 2013 10:38:52
    Post deleted
  • chrisno21 7 Oct 2013 10:57:59 1,544 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Embargo is 4pm tuesday - if I didn't have teh SE ordered at 32 I'd definitely have cancelled by now. If it gets some stellar reviews I'll keep the order.

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• Deleted user 7 October 2013 11:00:12
    Just be safe then, I'd better change this. Thanks for the info.
  • Ror1984 7 Oct 2013 12:28:23 4,117 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Someone must have broken the embargo then, as Finnish publication Pelit is listed on Metacritic for this already. Metacritic's given score for it is 68, and the paragraph says:

"Beyond: Two Souls is a seriously flawed experiment in interactive storytelling. Is there a game to be found? This reviewer is still looking."

I'm sure reviews will be all over the place for this.

• Ranger_Ryu 7 Oct 2013 12:52:58 1,087 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Ror1984

if you wait long enough you get arrested and put in a SWAT van then you have to escape again, which to be honest is the same scene if you get caught on your bike when trying to get through the SWAT roadblock
  • Ror1984 7 Oct 2013 12:58:01 4,117 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Ranger_Ryu Ah fair enough, cheers for that. I guess it's just very generous then, as I really took my time with it. Still, I do like the idea of 'failing' leading to something else rather than a simple game over screen. Hopefully it isn't getting captured and having to escape every time, as that's also what happens on the train if you don't wake Jodie in time.

• King_Edward 7 Oct 2013 12:58:45 11,467 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Ror1984

There was plenty of that in Heavy Rain too. I tried my best to burn to death in a car wreck but it just wouldn't happen.
  • Ror1984 7 Oct 2013 13:08:50 4,117 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @King_Edward I still need to play that. It's in my atrocious backlog.

• Deleted user 7 October 2013 14:39:29
    If that review is correct, then I'm sorry David Cage, but you seriously need to leave the writing to someone else. It's understandable that Heavy rain got a little messed up with all the characters he had to take into account, but if you can't even write a linear story like this, it's time to call it a day.
  • Page

of 15 First / Last