Splinter Cell: Blacklist Page 3

• Page

of 11 First / Last

• bunglebonce 15 Aug 2013 13:40:50 2,204 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anthony_UK wrote:
    tps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8p_2PQOYgg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This has pretty much sold it me. It looks like there's enough of the old Splinter Cell to keep me happy, that plus Spy's vs Mercs is enough for me

I like how smashing through a wooden door, but executing a person with three bullets from a silenced SMG, gives points for a silent kill.

Edited by bunglebonce at 13:41:25 15-08-2013

PSN ID: erniewhatbert

• Derblington 15 Aug 2013 14:00:57 21,926 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    anon_ wrote:
    Now, if you want, you can just BLOW SHIT UP! Hell yeah! Mark and execute! Speed kills! Suck it, terrorist scum!

Or, you know, do it quietly. If you want. Don't have to. Entirely optional...
    I don't see the problem with this in the slightest. You want to play it the classic way, do it. You have the game you want.
    Someone else wants to play it load, they can. They have the game they want.
    Someone else wants to mix it up based on the mood of the session, they can. They have the game they want.

You seem to only want your game as long as they don't have theirs.
  • Syrette 15 Aug 2013 14:06:31 43,772 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How dare they implement anything which isn't exactly what anon wants, even though it's entirely optional.

• Deleted user 15 August 2013 14:13:06
    Going to play this on PC I think. Hopefully my gtx 570m laptop will run it on medium at 1080p. Should do; it plays most games.

Edited by bitch_tits_zero_nine at 14:13:33 15-08-2013
  • anon_ 15 Aug 2013 14:46:51 211 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    You seem to only want your game as long as they don't have theirs.
    Syrette wrote:
    How dare they implement anything which isn't exactly what anon wants, even though it's entirely optional.
    Okay..

It's a question of inherent design. The decision to play stealth appears to be entirely arbitrary, and not driven in any way by the game's rules or logic.

The video Anthony linked suggested that capping three guy's in quick succession is just as valid an approach as doing it quietly using patience and gadgets. Not even that it's significantly riskier.

That completely throws off the vibe of what Splinter Cell was, and as a fan of the previous games, ruins my immersion of trying to stay in the shadows and avoid detection, because that's the Best Way.

And I don't necessarily see that it's a virtue that the game is trying to be all things to all people. Jack of all trades, master of none is the phrase that springs to mind.

Why can't Splinter Cell be its own game, with a specific vision, executed to perfection? There are more than enough loud and proud action games for those that want them. Does Gran Turismo go out of its way to cater to the arcade racer??

Anyway, I've had a whinge, so I'll leave this thread to the fans. I hope Ubisoft get the 5 quadrillion sales they're after. I made the mistake of lining Square Enix's pockets by buying Tomb Raider (which was swiftly traded in), I won't repeat that with this game.

Edited by anon_ at 14:51:23 15-08-2013
  • Anthony_UK 15 Aug 2013 16:01:59 2,511 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I get where you're coming from, but I at a glance it does appear they've at least kept some of what made Splinter Cell, Splinter Cell. I'd even go as far as to say the earlier games in the series just wouldn't be that much fun to play these days.

I like to think that with how EA effectively killed Dead Space, other publishers have to recognise the need for other games to keep there own sense of personality. Splinter Cell Conviction was in development hell for years, so I can see why they'd make this less hardcore and play it safe to a certain degree, to attract a bigger audience. Hopefully if it is successful, they'll go the other way and make it more hardcore on a potential follow up.

Same with Tomb Raider, despite it failing to reach Squares outrageously unrealistic sales targets it was a brilliant game though obviously not a strict 'Tomb Raider' game of old. Again though, I'm hoping the developers hear the feedback and criticisms from the first game and dial it back a touch on the followup.

Edited by Anthony_UK at 16:03:27 15-08-2013
  • SFD 15 Aug 2013 16:03:05 506 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You could try playing it like the Splinter Cell of old and not worry about how others will be doing it. There's a difficulty setting without the iWin execute for people like you that preferred the earlier games.

I know that's what I'll be playing it on.
  • anon_ 15 Aug 2013 16:17:39 211 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You mean Perfectionist?

Still looks too fast, slick and powerful to me, but whatever, I guess it's a concession of sorts..
  • anon_ 15 Aug 2013 16:23:41 211 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anthony_UK wrote:
    I'd even go as far as to say the earlier games in the series just wouldn't be that much fun to play these days.
    Played Chaos Theory recently. Still very good. Possibly because it's refreshing to play an action game at 5mph, rather than 95. In some ways it plays more like a puzzle game than an action game really.

Anthony_UK wrote:
    I like to think that with how EA effectively killed Dead Space, other publishers have to recognise the need for other games to keep there own sense of personality. Splinter Cell Conviction was in development hell for years, so I can see why they'd make this less hardcore and play it safe to a certain degree, to attract a bigger audience. Hopefully if it is successful, they'll go the other way and make it more hardcore on a potential follow up.

Same with Tomb Raider...Again though, I'm hoping the developers hear the feedback and criticisms from the first game and dial it back a touch on the followup.
    Or they could just skip the first (mis)step and go straight to developing a game with its own identity.
  • Derblington 15 Aug 2013 17:19:37 21,926 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The GT review is incredibly positive, stating the game has a large focus on stealth and darkness and that the other playstyles are nice additions. I don't really understand your issue. You're just kinda coming across a bit butthurt because it's not exactly the same as the old games. It sounds close enough.

I'm actually a little disappointed it's lost of Conviction's style. Not enough to not play it though.
  • DFawkes 15 Aug 2013 18:01:27 23,358 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The thing I was most concerned with was the possibility of them gimping Mark and Execute a bit, but it looks just as awesome as it was in Conviction. It certainly looks like the best of Conviction combined with the best of the games that came before, allowing anyone to play it that way they want to. That's definitely a good thing :)

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Pinky_Floyd 16 Aug 2013 09:05:13 8,047 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ubisoft stuck this 8 min video up last night specifically on the wii u features:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsKN-bHSmoE
  • Ultrasoundwave 20 Aug 2013 17:32:37 3,339 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Surprised this thread hasnt got a bit more buzz about it - the game is currently sitting on a 85 on Metacritic and i cant wait to play it!

The campaign looks like a lot of fun, the co-op is making a welcome return and SPIES VS MERCS IS BACK!

Roll on friday!

(or Thursday if Shopto are keeping to their usual standards)

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• DUFFMAN5 20 Aug 2013 17:43:58 14,983 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm interested in it, but went for SRIV also I have Disney Infinity pre ordered. I will defo pick up at some point though.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Raiko101 20 Aug 2013 20:59:14 6,435 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I will be picking this up on Wii U next week, hopefully. Looking forward to playing some online co-op with an old friend. I'm hoping there is some form of Hunter mode, like in Conviction. That was far and away the best thing about Conviction and shows a game like this doesn't necessarily need a plot. It's already fun enough just getting from one location to another without being seen, or taking down all the enemies in a particular area before moving on.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• DFawkes 20 Aug 2013 21:07:18 23,358 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I agree. Just started replaying Conviction and the story mode resorts to non-stealth gunplay too often, which I'd forgotten because I always used to play the excellent Deniable Ops. They better bring back Hunter or similar. They have to, surely?

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Raiko101 20 Aug 2013 21:12:45 6,435 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The best I can find is this...

On the Paladin you will be able to talk to your team members, customize your equipment (loadout) and start your Co-Op / Deniable Ops and Spies vs. Mercs missions.
    But that's from a Wiki page with no source... Hmm...

• Jono62 20 Aug 2013 21:35:04 14,199 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    http://www.usgamer.net/articles/splinter-cell-blacklist-review

Looks like hunter is in although it's not mentioned by name in that review:

While some of the missions are co-op only, a number of them can be tackled solo or co-op. These side missions are fully-realized levels that task you with different objectives: take down all hostiles, make your way to specific points in the level, or defend an area against waves of enemies. The latter mission mode is interesting as it's rather fun to learn the layout of a level and hunt freely, but the size of the waves ramps up quickly. It starts off simple, but quickly becomes time-consuming and somewhat tedious.
  • Raiko101 20 Aug 2013 21:49:39 6,435 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think that's a confirmation there. Happy days! Thanks for that!

• Ultrasoundwave 21 Aug 2013 17:40:07 3,339 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Shopto have dispatched, which is awesome.

Also, I've only just realised that I'm getting a download code for Double Agent - seeing as I've already got it, if anyone wants the code inbox me.

(360 version)

• BiggerBFG 21 Aug 2013 18:07:57 800 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Has anyone received theirs today from Amazon?
  • griff_dai 21 Aug 2013 18:34:58 433 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got this coming tomorrow and can't wait 2nd to last ever game I will play on the 360 :(
  • modula 21 Aug 2013 19:24:05 263 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Can anyone confirm if the Asian 360 version is region free? Playasia is saying it is, but want to check before forking out. Having a uk xbox while living in Thailand is a bit of a pain...
  • INSOMANiAC 22 Aug 2013 03:36:03 3,833 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    played about 3/4 hours of this today and for Splinter Cell fans of old it is a a lot better than Conviction (which I thought was decent in the first place)

What annoys me is even in perfectionist mode you still get to mark targets, personally I havent used the mark target once in fhte game and it plays much like older splinter cells when you dont. On perfectionist the enemies can hear a pin drop but you can upgrade your boots etc with money gained from missions.

I played the whole first mission which is long and pretty good, theres always a way to get through using only stealth and I like the way you can set your whole go through the level to lethal or non lethal, it means when hanging out of a window you can still just stun someone without dragging them out.

I also did two of the co-op missions (on my own) and they are easily the best part, just pure splinter cell without some daft shitty storyline.

Its a great game from what I've played but so far I'd say the problem is its too easy (single player, the co-op missions can be tough, get spotted and its over, and the dogs are bastards)and when I say its great, its great in short bursts for a bit of stealth action, it doesnt have me gripped in the same way Dishonored has recently.

The problem is that even if a guard spots you it takes maybe 2-3 seconds for him to fully register spotting you, in which time you can either get away or take him down. There needs to be some time for you to do something but it feels too long, especially for 'perfectionist' mode. Sometimes the guards will follow suspicious activity, other times theyll just walk off as if it never happened. Also, the old 'whistle' trick works every time and they just walk into imminent death. If that wasn't easy enough you get the old noise making sticky back. Of course, you dont have to use either of these but the levels are clearly designed in parts for you to whistle people over (well from what I've played) What the game needs is a mode where you have no gadgets, fuck all and you just go round snapping necks which is what I did for the entire first level.

(I've got a 670gtx and the game runs pretty smoothly at 60fps on 1080p, occassional frame rate drop in outdoor scenes) but it must be running the graphics card at full whack which is strange for an unreal engine game, the GC fan is on full and my temps are going up to over 70c on some sessions....

Despite that its still well worth a dabble, being able to hide bodies and getting back into the old suit is great.

I got bored of walking round the shitty plane hub thing very quickly, its not a fucking RPG!! talking to arseholes to get upgrades, one of which is up some ladders. And they suddenly decided to make 'A' the run button in the plane only??

The bloke who does Sam Fishers voice now is so fucking generic and personality-less its quite bizarre they ever changed from Ironside

Anyway, yeah, ignore the story, fly through the hub bit and you will have quite a lot of fun

Edited by INSOMANiAC at 03:49:24 22-08-2013

Edited by INSOMANiAC at 04:44:37 22-08-2013

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• INSOMANiAC 22 Aug 2013 04:43:52 3,833 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well the second level (Iraq)is a bit of a farce, you can piss through it in about 15 minutes on the hardest setting, not getting spotted by anyone, it's a weird, out of place, level. It's like they teased you with 'real splinter cell' then give you shit like shooting terrorists from a sniper on a helicopter or climbing mountain sides like Drake, then finally running through a set of burning buildings like Lara....

Anyway, I'll say no more and let you lot be the judge..

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Ultrasoundwave 22 Aug 2013 11:35:21 3,339 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just installed the game now and, something I didn't realise, is that not only are there 2 discs (360 version) but also, you can install a 'HD texture pack' for the "best possible visual experience".

Seeing as some of the reviews have mentioned the graphics being poor, I wonder if the review copies even had the 2nd disc/HD texture pack available to them???

• INSOMANiAC 22 Aug 2013 13:45:14 3,833 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Goodfella Same here, no such thing as preload in Ubisofts world, so when you're downloading the 20gb game at 50Kb/s, that if you can even log in, you can wonder why everything doesn't just use fucking Steam.

I ended up 'pirating' the game just so I had it preloaded. It's ridiculous.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• INSOMANiAC 22 Aug 2013 13:46:52 3,833 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Ultrasoundwave The graphics are average. Clean, functional and the second level actually looks pretty good, I'd liken them to COD's multiplayer graphics... pretty aging. Still, it does its job.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Page

of 11 First / Last