Dead Space 3 Page 19

• Page

of 23 First / Last

• Darth_Flibble 20 Feb 2013 21:52:13 1,727 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    How many, if any, eerie scenes are there?
    Zero, zilch, nada.

I am a big huge fan of the original and quite liked the sequel, but I genuinely cannot recall a single 'eerie' moment in the entire game, all twenty one hours of it.

The first seven chapters are good however, upon crash landing on the icy planet, things slowly goes downhill ...

... : (
    +1

sadly EA is going to get the developers to make the next dead space game even more action and shooting. Someone who is on XBL friends list is very vocal about his love for DS3 and any game that becomes of a shooter. Sadly its this type of gamer who publishers love, the ones that gunning down enemies in the first 2 minutes
  • GiarcYekrub 27 Feb 2013 08:47:53 3,807 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wow this took me 30 hours to complete with a 91.7% rating, gonna have to do some co op missions and go on a item hunt me thinks.
  • GiarcYekrub 28 Feb 2013 00:17:03 3,807 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok now I'm cofused, do you only see Carver's illusinations if your Carver? Does he have them during normal missions too?

Now I've completed it and supercharged my plasma cutter its got quite easier now lot less frustrating like enemeys that were taking 4 shots are now down in 1 gives me 4x aiming time
  • CharlieStCloud 5 Mar 2013 12:10:38 5,288 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    No more Dead Space makes me a little bit sad ...

This one is only just above average though with so much 'shoehorn' nonsense that doesn't belong in a game like this.
  • jellyhead 5 Mar 2013 12:14:41 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    A victim of EA's insane expectations in the current market.
    Sad to see Visceral go.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• TheSaint 5 Mar 2013 12:16:14 14,623 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The first was only really a success when it dropped to sub 20 a few weeks after release. I still haven't got round to playing the second one yet.
  • SClaw 5 Mar 2013 12:29:07 826 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Finished it last night and was glad to see the back of it. The first few hours (intro aside) were cracking fun - floating about in space especially - but after that it was a long slow slide into crap, and the end section had just enough backtracking to piss me off. But it was a good game, overall, and I enjoyed playing it.

I am not sad to see the series end though. This game was fun, just about, but one more would have completely killed the setting. I say let the IP rest for a decade then reboot it for the gen after next, perhaps when we're all a little less shooter obsessed.
  • King_Edward 5 Mar 2013 12:57:28 11,455 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    No more Dead Space makes me a little bit sad ...

This one is only just above average though with so much 'shoehorn' nonsense that doesn't belong in a game like this.
    Better it dies now, than lives long enough to take its reputation with it. It'll always be something of a classic now.

I eagerly await the "Drake in Space" reboot in 2 years.

Edited by King_Edward at 12:58:08 05-03-2013
  • ecu 5 Mar 2013 13:14:54 77,034 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Milked to death.

Police Academy was a huge hit, and they kept churning them out. With each film, the budget: profit ratio kept dropping, and dropping, until the ratio approached 1, then they cancelled it. Dead Space has had four games in just over four years (including Extraction). It's too much, too soon. I'm sure the microtransaction stuff didn't help either.

Call of Duty can get away with it because it's primarily a multiplayer experience that is almost like a football game in terms of getting yearly updates to the same core experience. You can't do it with a story driven game, people will get bored. Games have it harder than films because they cost 5 times as much and require a bigger investment of time. I enjoyed the first game a lot, and it's a shame they seem to have rushed the series in to an early grave already. I'm sure they'll reboot it for the next round of consoles and this cycle will start over.

Edited by ecureuil at 13:20:43 05-03-2013
  • Deleted user 5 March 2013 13:19:31
    To shitcan the studio is funny, given EA have no way of knowing if their agenda to shape software with micro transactions had anything to do with the games commercial performance.

It certainly featured as a contentious issue in every review I read.
  • Rhaegyr 5 Mar 2013 13:26:20 2,301 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Glad to see the back of it but it's a shame about the developer - they had some real talent that showed on DS1 and 2.

Does anyone really want a 4th instalment? Tend to get sick of games after the third iteration (Gears, Halo, God of War, Uncharted etc.) and I'd rather have the developer move onto something new and original, using the skills they've learnt and applying it to something else.
  • Mola_Ram 5 Mar 2013 13:28:58 7,710 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Milked to death.

Police Academy was a huge hit, and they kept churning them out. With each film, the budget: profit ratio kept dropping, and dropping, until the ratio approached 1, then they cancelled it.
    New one is coming out in 2014 :)

Probably a remake though.
  • Triggerhappytel 5 Mar 2013 14:25:30 2,695 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's worth noting that they've closed Visceral Montreal, who used to be EA Montreal and must have been renamed fairly recently. They've only developed the Army of Two series as far as I know. They're not the real Visceral Games though, as in the studio who developed DS1 & 2, altbough it looks like this studio has also shed some staff.

Anyway: fucking EA. This is what suit and focus-group box ticking homogenisation does to series. They probably don't even understand what went wrong; they'll just leave the franchise dormant for half a decade before someone with a bit of sense is allowed to reboot it. The least they could do is sell worthwhile IPs like Dead Space, Burnout and Mirror's Edge to another publisher who will treat them right and do them justice.

Another thing - I feel like the milking with these big series has been pretty extreme this gen. Three instalments in the space of one generation just feels a little excessive, and I wonder if the DS series would be more loved if it hadn't been so frequent. For the sane reason, I think Gears Judgement will sell less than its predecessors.

Edited by Triggerhappytel at 14:38:10 05-03-2013
  • ronuds 5 Mar 2013 14:26:16 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @ecureuil Explain AC's success to me?
  • ecu 5 Mar 2013 14:26:34 77,034 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    Milked to death.

Police Academy was a huge hit, and they kept churning them out. With each film, the budget: profit ratio kept dropping, and dropping, until the ratio approached 1, then they cancelled it.
    New one is coming out in 2014 :)

Probably a remake though.
    Yeah it's a reboot. Milk it til it dies, reboot it a few years later.
  • ecu 5 Mar 2013 14:28:26 77,034 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    I haven't played any of the AC games so I've no idea.
  • Triggerhappytel 5 Mar 2013 14:36:09 2,695 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    I don't really understand why AC is do successful where so many other action adventures fall by the wayside. Initially I think it was that everyone loved the unique ideas and setting, and the press loved it too which is why it got so much hype and good feedback. Now, I guess it must just be that the series has a lot of momentum, is well known and still stands out against its peers dye to its scenarios.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 5 Mar 2013 14:36:09 2,102 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hardly surprising. Not making it available on Steam and all the negative publicity surrounding microtransactions can't have helped. Maybe this will cause EA to rethink their policies.

Or maybe not.

Previously midnight_walker

• nickthegun 5 Mar 2013 14:37:53 60,506 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This kind of relates back to the points made in the tombraider thread. They took what made the series popular and tried to twist it into something they think will make it even more popular.

In this case it raises the question:

Why should I play it if its not the game I used to like?

Why should I play it if there are a hundred 3rd person games better than this?

Also: micro-transactions

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• nickthegun 5 Mar 2013 14:39:27 60,506 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    Its a series that has got better or at least maintained its quality with every incarnation.

That said, i would be very surprised if AC4 sold half as many copies as AC3.

• ronuds 5 Mar 2013 14:41:14 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Triggerhappytel I had my fill after the 2nd. It's astounding that in only a few years since then they've made 3 or 4 more and people still lap it up.
  • Deleted user 5 March 2013 14:43:35
    Yeah, The dev house proved they can produce a working piece of software, to spec and on time.

Hamstring the developer creatively, then shitcan them for creating generic shit.
  • ecu 5 Mar 2013 14:43:36 77,034 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah it's a combination of reasons. Resident Evil turned in to a generic 3rd person action game and the series is more popular than ever, but it takes them 4 years to make each game. EA released four Dead Space games in the time it takes Capcom to release one Resident Evil game. Combined with them moving away from what made Dead Space great and adding in microtransactions and you're giving consumers a whole load of reasons not to spend their hard earned on the new game.
  • nickthegun 5 Mar 2013 14:44:20 60,506 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Because its a good series. I know its one of the favourite calls of nintendo fans, but there is nothing wrong with releasing an edition of a franchise like CoD, FIFA or AC if the quality is still high.

• Deckard1 5 Mar 2013 14:44:54 28,755 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Resident Evil is more popular than ever?
  • ecu 5 Mar 2013 14:46:01 77,034 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Resident Evil is more popular than ever?
    Yep, Resident Evil 5 is the highest selling game in the whole series.

6 didn't sell as well because it's rubbish, but the move towards generic 3rd person shooter actually increased its sales.

Edited by ecureuil at 14:46:37 05-03-2013
  • Deckard1 5 Mar 2013 14:46:33 28,755 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What happened with 6 then?
  • Deckard1 5 Mar 2013 14:46:57 28,755 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    And Racoon City
  • stryker1121 5 Mar 2013 14:48:25 714 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    One month since release and the writing was already on the wall for DS3? I suppose EA had its projections but why not give the game more time? 5M copies for a middle-tier game is a bit ridiculous, but I suppose that's what you get in this era of skyrocketing marketing costs. In closing, this sucks for Visceral.
  • nickthegun 5 Mar 2013 14:48:44 60,506 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As he says, they didnt sell as well because they were rubbish, rather being ignored for having a 3rd person perspective rather than a fixed camera.

• Page

of 23 First / Last