Dead Space 3 Page 16

• Page

of 23 First / Last

• Spong 10 Feb 2013 20:55:12 525 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Don't really see the big problem myself...
    For me, having uni ammo simply means I don't know how much I've actually got for a single weapon (until I purposely check in the weapon selection HUD). If I have 200 ammo, what's that in terms of an individual weapon? The actual ammo appears to vary for every weapon I have. Telling me how much ammo I'm picking up (or how much I have in my Inventory or Safe) seems completely pointless. The same applies to when I'm crafting ammo, all the numbers involved seem irrelevant.

It's the first game I've played with such a system, apparently it's a well-known mechanic. To me though, it makes no sense whatsoever beyond minimising inventory slots.

Gearskin wrote:
    @Spong

Why dont you just play co-op with someone from here?
    Online multiplayer just isn't my thing, I never get the sense that I'm playing with a person and not some AI NPC, not to mention Dead Space is built around its solitary experience. I've got an ever-growing number of games with bolted on co-op or multiplayer that I've never bothered with, my copy DS2 still bugs me to register my online pass to this very day.

All that aside though, what I've played so far, apart from the awful first Chapter, has been okay. I haven't got to the planet yet, I'm still wandering aimlessly around that spaceship graveyard area, just repaired and released the transport ship from the Teranova (or whatever it's called).

I'm bored with seeing those Regenerators though. Like Starchild said, someone at Visceral must have a hard on for them.
  • Darth_Flibble 10 Feb 2013 20:55:17 1,666 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The suits don't do anything, instead of the arctic suit, I was wearing the N7 suit on the planet. The real reason for universal ammo is to simplify it for people who can't be bothered with ammo management

the Plasma Cutter is fine for a while but around chapter 13 or later its too weak even maxed out
  • Spong 10 Feb 2013 21:31:00 525 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    The real reason for universal ammo is to simplify it for people who can't be bothered with ammo management
    That's the only logical explanation I can think of too. But it goes completely against one of the aspects of survival.

Darth_Flibble wrote:the Plasma Cutter is fine for a while but around chapter 13 or later its too weak even maxed out
    I've certainly had a look at a couple of optional objectives that make Isaac as a whole look like he's underpowered, but I was hoping the game would be tailored to allow people to get to the end of the story without being forced to make their own hand-cannon from scratch. Oh well.
  • Syrette 10 Feb 2013 21:34:40 43,295 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm enjoying this (chapter 5), as I knew I would, but (and this is a criticism that can be aimed at a lot of shooter games)... it just feels so samey and predictable. And without the tension of previous games, it's a little dull.

• Pumpatron 10 Feb 2013 22:02:24 374 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Despite being more action focused, does it still have the atmosphere and general creepiness of the previous games?
  • SlimSpudly87 10 Feb 2013 22:30:52 72 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Pumpatron you might as well be playing Gears Of War now, that's all I say
  • StarchildHypocrethes 10 Feb 2013 22:39:44 25,565 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Still plenty of atmosphere as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by StarchildHypocrethes at 22:40:29 10-02-2013
  • Gearskin 10 Feb 2013 23:51:49 2,045 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Feels exactly like Dead Space. Sounds like Dead Space.

Is still Dead Space.
  • Spong 11 Feb 2013 00:41:54 525 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pumpatron wrote:
    Despite being more action focused, does it still have the atmosphere and general creepiness of the previous games?
    I'm at Chapter 8 now, so far it's definitely still got loads of creeping down corridors and cautiously side-stepping your way around the walls of new rooms. The action sequences are more frequent though and ambushes are really ramped up.

I ran into that item duplication bug, seeing as I view the whole crafting thing with contempt, I had no problem running in & out a room for half an hour, racking up junk to mindlessly throw into some weapon I don't really want.

Edited by Spong at 00:42:28 11-02-2013
  • GiarcYekrub 11 Feb 2013 00:56:06 3,730 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm really looking foward to classic mode but that said I finally got past the coning tower
  • fletch7100 11 Feb 2013 04:53:00 7,194 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That item duplication issue, can do the same with the scavenger bots. According to EA it's not a bug/glitch. So you can farm away until they decide it is

"The resource-earning mechanic in Dead Space 3 is not a glitch. We have no plans to issue a patch to change this aspect of the game. We encourage players to explore the game and discover the areas where resources respawn for free. We've deliberately designed Dead Space 3 to allow players to harvest resources by playing through the game," EA rep Jino Talens said.
  • SClaw 11 Feb 2013 08:43:57 826 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's Dead Space. It's good and creepy. But yes it's very actiony with no particular management of ammo required. And there are way too many wave attack moments for my tastes, but it's not a big issue given the scope of the game.

All of the space walk sections early on were fantastic. There's a lot of random stuff to discover out there, but it's a shame the missions didn't send you outside a little more often. And that the "outdoor" enemies are no threat at all.
  • Ultrasoundwave 11 Feb 2013 11:10:41 3,280 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Managed to get up to chapter 5 and i'm still really enjoying this game. I've just boarded the Terra Nova but before that i did the optional side-mission on-board that other ship (cant remember the name).

Was quite surprised actually because the side-mission wasnt really sign-posted all that well, but i thought it was a nice distraction as far as side-missions go - was fun to see those high-pitched screaming bastards from Dead Space 2 as well!.

I've managed to put together an Elite assault rifle with a shotgun under-barrell and i've managed to upgrade the Plasma Cutter quite significantly, all without spending any cash on the micro-transactions, which really are not as big a deal as some people tried to make out.

As a big fan of the series, i was initially concerned when some people were saying how it deviates from the previous two games. However, in my opinion, (so far) it is an excellent continuation from one of the best series introduced this generation.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• SClaw 11 Feb 2013 11:41:29 826 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't know the names of the weapons... but I'm using some sort of charging up blue energy explosion gun with a sort of sonic shotgun that knocks back under it. With a statis mod fitted the damn thing is great against anything but hordes of the naked shrivelled dudes. For them – and the odd soldier you see now and then – I’ve got my plasma cutter with an electric knife on it and flailing away in close combat against a mob is great fun.

Loved the audio message you get just before the shrivelled dudes appear… “throwing things distracts them”. Yeah… I’ll try it my way first. Charge! Knifegun to the face!

The weapon crafting is a wonderful system. I’m excited for a second playthrough so I can try a few other combos though. Not that impressed with the assault rifles in any situation - when you fit a scope the game is damn near unplayable too (brings the camera in to almost behind the gun).
  • Ultrasoundwave 11 Feb 2013 11:43:15 3,280 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    SClaw wrote:
    Knifegun to the face!
    I think this would solve most of lifes problems.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Bulbatron 11 Feb 2013 12:04:14 836 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, the postman's been and gone - and still no Dead Space 3. Is there anybody else who pre-ordered from GAME that is still waiting?

Wow - what a mansion!

• MrE26 11 Feb 2013 13:38:03 1,930 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pleasantly surprised by this so far. I'm still on the abandoned ships after a good 8 hours or so & it's still got the Dead Space atmosphere in spades. Opening level was awful but since then it's had me hooked. I'd put it about on par with the 2nd so far.

The only thing that's fucked me off is approaching a ship & being told 'Co-op only.' Fuck off with that shit,i don't want to have the fact i'm missing sections by playing solo battered over my head in-game.
  • Darth_Flibble 11 Feb 2013 15:23:45 1,666 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The space wreck chapters are the best levels as they feel like Dead space despite the more waves of attack etc (you can set your watch by the next attack wave) Its when you get down onto the "lost planet", a few chapters in, it really becomes shooter heavy

Replaying on "classic" and was hoping it had the old style ammo management but no, its set to hard and you can't make weapons from blue prints. Complete lack of materials to upgrade your health and the regenerators can 1 hit kill you. It feels like they made it extra hard to make you buy their shit DLC
  • Kovacs77 11 Feb 2013 18:01:49 364 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I was quite disappointed when the helmet-light effect stopped after the first few levels. I'm on the planet now, it's as dark as it was in space, but that effect has just gone. No idea why, surely it wasn't just programmed in for specific levels?
  • MrE26 11 Feb 2013 22:21:24 1,930 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Kovacs77 wrote:
    I was quite disappointed when the helmet-light effect stopped after the first few levels. I'm on the planet now, it's as dark as it was in space, but that effect has just gone. No idea why, surely it wasn't just programmed in for specific levels?
    I noticed that too, it disappeared for me long before i hit the planet though.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 11 Feb 2013 23:55:47 11,291 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can someone tell me, is it possible to play offline Co-Op? I wanna see the Carver missions, and do all side-missions in Classic mode, but I don't want someone across the internet freaking out while I spend 10 minutes crafting and re-crafting weapons, and searching every box and locker...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• -cerberus- 11 Feb 2013 23:57:44 2,697 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Telepathic.Geometry No local co-op.

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• Mola_Ram 12 Feb 2013 00:08:16 7,204 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    The space wreck chapters are the best levels as they feel like Dead space despite the more waves of attack etc (you can set your watch by the next attack wave) Its when you get down onto the "lost planet", a few chapters in, it really becomes shooter heavy

Replaying on "classic" and was hoping it had the old style ammo management but no, its set to hard and you can't make weapons from blue prints. Complete lack of materials to upgrade your health and the regenerators can 1 hit kill you. It feels like they made it extra hard to make you buy their shit DLC
    I don't know how you unlock it, but survivor mode is what you're looking for re: ammo management.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 12 Feb 2013 01:05:39 11,291 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @-cerberus- I didn't mean local co-op, I meant like, will the computer let me play alone? It's drop in drop out right? So even if I'm on my own, can I get into the co-op areas? That's my only issue really. I don't want a partner at all, but I want access to that content that I paid for...

• Telepathic.Geometry 12 Feb 2013 01:06:53 11,291 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think you unlock it just by beating the game. I got Classic Mode, Survivor mode and Hard-core mode unlocked after I beat the game if memory serves...

• -cerberus- 12 Feb 2013 01:21:36 2,697 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Telepathic.Geometry From what I've gathered, several co-op area's are locked out in single player. Meaning you won't ever see them without resorting to co-op.

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• Syrette 12 Feb 2013 01:35:02 43,295 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm on chapter 7 now - would you guys say it's worth doing the side missions from here onwards? Do they add much to the story?

The two that I've done so far seemed a bit pointless - good for resources etc but then again I could just farm those in the next chapter.

• Telepathic.Geometry 12 Feb 2013 03:01:57 11,291 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As far as I can remember, each area has had some kind of unique item like a blueprint or a special weapon part or something...

• fletch7100 12 Feb 2013 08:29:54 7,194 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Majority of the optional missions are just resources, may get some new circuits or weapon parts. Scavenge enough and make anything you want. Just started selling off all the extra weapon parts I don't need, now able to make any weapon on the blue prints list.

Also just had an area on the planet to deal with, aliens mixed in with humans then you get the super fast moving aliens with humans firing missiles.
  • GiarcYekrub 12 Feb 2013 10:31:29 3,730 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Love the % complete on the progress screen, keep going back just to get them up to 100%, think I may be alittle OCD about that
  • Page

of 23 First / Last