Dead Space 3 Page 15

• Page

of 23 First / Last

• FuzzyDuck 9 Feb 2013 22:29:09 4,364 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just finished Conning Tower myself... the first proper chapter was shockingly bad, but it's settled into a more typical DS setting so far, even if it doesn't play like one. Loads of cheap enemy attacks, but I think I've only died twice, there's way too much ammo.

Not as bad as I thought it would be (also, Polygon's review score of 9.5/10 - WTF?!), but it's defo the weakest of the 3 games so far. Probably a 7/10.
  • Oh-Bollox 9 Feb 2013 23:28:34 5,327 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gearskin wrote:
    Its not... Or, it never was "horror" of the psychological kind. Dead Space has always been more "terror" to me. More about stressing the player out, making them feel intense pressure and threat.
    I actually thought DS & DS2 had some nice touches on that front, the hallucinations, lots of playing around with the audio, etc. It really added to the atmosphere. Shame they've dropped it.

he other is "The Art of Dead Space" whuch is just fantastic. A book dedicated to lifting the lid on the design work across all three games. Its actually authored by Eurogamer's own Features Editor, Martin Robinson. He has done a great job!
    I'm on a bit of a game art book run, actually, so will definitely check this out, thanks.

Edited by Oh-Bollox at 23:29:00 09-02-2013
  • MatMan562 10 Feb 2013 00:23:08 2,512 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've just realised they could have easily left Isaac out of this, put Carver front and centre (most people would think it was the same guy anyway when he's in his suit) and had someone else as his co-op partner. Somehow, in my head, that would make all the changes I don't like seem ok. Then if they wanted to go back to more of a horror title they could have brought Isaac back.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Wayne 10 Feb 2013 07:48:12 2,144 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Maybe I'm just getting old... But you bum Dead Space? And that means you like it? Ok.
  • Darth_Flibble 10 Feb 2013 11:04:26 1,728 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DS and DS2 had some nice psychological horror elements (for a main stream title) Nicole from the 1st game was creepy and the start of ds2 was great as you were helpless and had to fight tooth and nail to get some weapons. Sadly some gamers hated the fact you were not gunning down enemies in the first 1 minute of DS2 and EA wanted to appeal to that gamer more. On what I think is the last chapter and ramps on the shooting even more than the last chapters of DS2. So far in DS3 I think I've killed more enemies than in a call of duty game, its that shooter heavy.

Also the upgraded plasma cutter has become useless, used it all the way through DS1 and DS2 but had to switch to upgraded Bullpup rifle with rocket launcher. I used some ration seals (you get from scavenging with the bots) and got some EA one off DLC packs and its a joke you buy them and don't know what you getting! used 60 ration seals and got some really scopes that were useless. Paying with real money would be even worse. I know ME3 horde mode had this and had no idea what they would get.

Still can't stand Carver, reminds me of Vega from ME3, dude bro with knuckles dragging on the floor.

While its not terrible game, its decent rental, its shame another survival horror type game has become action shooter with the emphasis on shooting
  • fletch7100 10 Feb 2013 11:47:37 7,360 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    On chapter 13 now on normal. Now on the lost planet style game. In fact I'm quite looking forward to the next lost planet game.

Plasma cutter was replaced by the evangelist rifle/shotgun combo. Only used this weapon, only down side is firing rate of shotgun. Which is ok, got it upgraded to full damage plus a damage modifier. Be too powerful if it was quick firing as well. Constructed one other combo gun for a certain trigger something and defend yourself objective.

Got 3 scavengers now, so taking time to gather resources and explore everywhere.

Plus shooting a head off a necomorph, using your kinetic powers to pick up the head then shoot it back at him never gets old :)

Edited by fletch7100 at 11:51:49 10-02-2013
  • SlimSpudly87 10 Feb 2013 11:55:17 72 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm I the only who's noticed that the plasma cutter seems like its been really dumbed down?
  • fletch7100 10 Feb 2013 12:02:04 7,360 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @SlimSpudly87

Nope :) used to only use it on 1&2. Might make a new gun combining it with a force gun. Have to fully upgrade one, see what damage it can do

Main weapon has been the shotgun, have to try a few different weapon combos out.

Edited by fletch7100 at 12:04:24 10-02-2013
  • Darth_Flibble 10 Feb 2013 12:04:35 1,728 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @SlimSpudly87

mentioned it my post above
  • Mola_Ram 10 Feb 2013 12:07:22 7,716 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Anyone tried classic or pure survival mode yet? Are they unlocked from the start? Sound very interesting, particularly for people like me who don't want to be swimming in ammo.
  • haggisimo 10 Feb 2013 12:16:08 122 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Shotgun and flamethrower combo with added electricity rounds kicks ass, if the shotgun blast doesn't kill them, burn them while they're on the floor.
  • fletch7100 10 Feb 2013 12:17:13 7,360 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Mola_Ram

Modes at start are causal,normal,hard and impossible. Don't know if there are more difficulties unlocked upon completion.
  • Mola_Ram 10 Feb 2013 12:19:45 7,716 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well, there seems to be cheevements for them, so yeah, they exist. Shame that they have to be unlocked though.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 10 Feb 2013 12:21:33 26,144 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I like my electrically charged shotgun with underslung rivet chaingun. It rocks my cock.
  • fletch7100 10 Feb 2013 12:22:11 7,360 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Mola_Ram these need to be unlocked

On new game + tab

Classic ,complete game on any level to unlock this, get devil horns upon completing classic

Pure survival same as classic to unlock, get over clocked parts set and mega resources deposit upon completion

Hardcore, same as classic to unlock, upon completion you unlock Retro Mode

Time wise , on chapter 14, 18 hours playing time, mainly searching everywhere for resources, waiting for scavengers to return etc

Edited by fletch7100 at 12:26:08 10-02-2013
  • Darth_Flibble 10 Feb 2013 12:41:50 1,728 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    the extra modes are set to hard iirc
  • fletch7100 10 Feb 2013 12:50:33 7,360 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Am still farming resources, managed to upgrade my my rifle/shotgun to full damage each with damage modifier and stasis coating
  • StarchildHypocrethes 10 Feb 2013 13:07:03 26,144 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Someone at Visceral must really like those shitty regenerating fuckers.
  • fletch7100 10 Feb 2013 13:13:50 7,360 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes

Also the oh you want to use the tram, well you can't because something is blocking the line again. Oh you want to turn on the gas to destroy the alien growth blocking the door, just press that button. Surprise, sorry don't you know something is blocking the gas pipes better clear that first before pressing the button :)

Info here about game modes, location of peng

http://venturebeat.com/2013/02/05/dead-space-3-game-guide/2/

Edited by fletch7100 at 15:18:32 10-02-2013
  • Gearskin 10 Feb 2013 15:49:45 2,045 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    "Compact Elite Plasma Disperser with Plasma Disperser".

When it goes *click* I just pull the other trigger

:p
  • Spong 10 Feb 2013 18:51:12 525 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I bought this game yesterday because I was bored. Seriously. The reviews put me off, it sounded too far removed from the original and DS2 for me to really enjoy it.

I didn't know the Plasma Cutter was underpowered (I'm using the Planet Cracker Plasma Cutter for playing DS2 (I think)). It's been fine for me so far, playing on Normal difficulty, I'm only at Chapter 6 so far though. It's a bit slow firing at the start, but I chucked an fire rate upgrade circuit on it and it's fine now.

I hate the whole weapons crafting thing, I pretty much dislike everything about the weapons actually, it's doing my head in because none of it makes any bloody sense when I look at it. Why the fuck is the ammo for everything represented by one type? A Pulse Rifle fires the same ammo as a Plasma Cutter does it? Fuck off. It's bollocks and it just means I never actually know how much ammo I have for a given weapon unless I look at the weapon selection HUD. It's like the Homestead trading in AC3 all over again, but ten times worse. I'm picking up all this shit (instead of simply money and/or ammo) to craft weapons I don't apparently need anyway.

But my biggest problem with the game so far though has to be the co-op content. I know it's there, that's bad enough, but I don't want what I'm supposedly missing out on being forever rubbed in my face. Case in point: optional objectives being listed in all the Chapter completion stats, objectives that are only accessible if you're playing co-op. That means I'm NEVER going to be able to complete those Chapters to 100%. What logic was at work when they decided that multiplayer stats should be included in the stats for a single player game? It just means my progress is being stunted by something that shouldn't be included in the first place. If I wanted to play a Co-op Campaign and do all the stuff associated with it, I'd have chosen that on the title screen and not Single Player Campaign. But I didn't choose that, so why are you listing the bloody multiplayer features in my SINGLE PLAYER stats? It's just underlining the fact I've paid for a game which I'm probably only going to see 66% of.
  • Gearskin 10 Feb 2013 19:22:52 2,045 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Spong

Why dont you just play co-op with someone from here?

And why does universal ammo confuse you? You can see how much ammo you have in your inventory and the weapons you create... Well, once you actually put some time into them you remember what is what.

Im relying on a Plasma Dispenser (wide beam) with rotator. Ive got so many chips lodged in the thing that its basically delivering max damage. And a scope, so in most cases I can rip enemies apart at range.

Ive got a grenade launcher/spike for clearing crowds, should they overwhelm.
  • Oh-Bollox 10 Feb 2013 19:31:33 5,327 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gearskin wrote:
    @Spong

And why does universal ammo confuse you?
    It's not confusing, it's retarded. Utterly fucking retarded.
  • Syrette 10 Feb 2013 19:41:43 43,792 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Don't really see the big problem myself...

• fletch7100 10 Feb 2013 19:50:46 7,360 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I enjoyed the juggling around of ammo in the first 2 games. Was made easier as I was just a plasma cutter user for the majority of the time.

This time round just using a rifle/shotgun combo. Switched over to anacid rivet chaingun with underslung force gun.

I'm sure the enemies get faster later in the game. Plus the super fast alien type you meet as well, blink and they jump you

If it was a standalone game, then I have no problems with this game. Problem is it has strayed too far from which made the first 2 games enjoyable. DS1 I enjoyed the story wanted to finish it just to see how the story went. DS2 I liked the hallucinations side of the story, something lacking in DS3 story, unless you get those in co op which is quite cheap if Thats the case. Now 20hrs in chapter 16 and just want to get it over with.

Edited by fletch7100 at 19:52:07 10-02-2013
  • fletch7100 10 Feb 2013 20:03:24 7,360 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Also missed the small upgrades you got in each new suit, more inventory slots etc. I'm in DS3 its the same number all the way through no matter which suit you use, or maybe it's just my imagination

Can get all these suits only different between them is how it looks. Should have made suits with certain bonuses, extra kinetic damage,force damage,health etc
  • Gearskin 10 Feb 2013 20:15:49 2,045 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought the suits did have other properties?

Or maybe not, and they have off-set that customization in favour of the weapons.

Actually... That would make a lot of sense.
  • fletch7100 10 Feb 2013 20:27:40 7,360 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well if there is any differences haven't noticed any. Goes to show how much attention I have been giving this game.
  • Gearskin 10 Feb 2013 20:42:20 2,045 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you've played it for 20 hours in 48 hours, I'd say you've given it A LOT of attention:-)

When selecting a suit, it tells you what the suit is for. But the game is linear in how it hands them out, so when you get the EVA suit you need it. When you get the Arctic suit you need it etc.

But then it would make sense that you can't change suit properties, since the inventory management has been retuned.

If you think about it, in previous games you could carry 4 weapons, now you carry 2. There's no need to juggle the various ammo types as your weapons share ammo. There's also no reason for you to enhance the rig to do extra damage etc, because all that customization is dealt with within the weapons themselves.

Edited by Gearskin at 20:43:25 10-02-2013
  • Page

of 23 First / Last