Dead Space 3 Page 13

• Page

of 23 First / Last

• davidplayturn 8 Feb 2013 07:34:07 4 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's still a great game. But more shooting oriented than Dead space 1 and 2.
  • Ultrasoundwave 8 Feb 2013 08:58:24 3,417 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anthony_UK wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Am i really the only one playing this???

I'll start out with a disclaimer as to where i am with the series : played the first two, loved them both equally, very disappointed with the demo for Dead Space 3.

Anyway, onto the game. I've just finished playing for the night - got up to Chapter 4.

There's a nice prologue to start things off - it sets the scene nicely and also serves to remind you just how great the Dead Space games look and how well they play. It also sets the story up quite nicely.

Anyway, onto the meat of the game.

I'll admit, the first chapter had me worried. We meet up with Isaac and within minutes he's given a sub-machine gun and you're gunning down enemy soldiers - be warned, the first 10 minutes of the game is basically a generic 3rd-person shooter. There is nothing wrong with the mechanics : enemies are fun to kill (no bullet sponges) and the machine gun is a decent weapon, but this is NOT what Dead Space should be about.

However, things improve further along. Your trusty Plasma Cutter is also along for the ride and some Necros show up pretty soon afterwards - the game turns from bright, colourful mayhem into the dark, twisted terror we all know and love in the blink of an eye.

Ill try not spoil the story too much, but before Isaac gets to the frozen planet you've seen from the promos and demo, you stop off at a ship to investigate a distress beacon, which is where chapter 3 kicks off.

I can say, with a big grin on my face, that this is when Dead Space 3 comes to life.

This ship is basically a mini-ishimura : claustrophobic and dark with strange noises coming from the vents and shadows moving out of the corner of your eye. In other words : fucking terrifying and bloody brilliant.

The only new gameplay mechanic i've tried so far in the first four chapters was the new and improved work bench. What i'll say is that it really is an improvement to the series and the first great innovation that Dead Space 3 has provided.

Basically, instead of simply upgrading whatever weapons you scavenge, you can now create weapons if you have the right materials available. By this point, i had manage to scavenge a decent amount of shit and creating my first weapon was great fun. The weapon itself :

An Elite Military assault rifle with a secondary-fire shotgun under-barrell

(put in bold to try and emphasise just how awesome this fucking gun is!)

Anyway, im calling it a night now. Not very far into the game obviously, but, after a shaky start, this game is slowly cranking up the awesome.
    Sold! Thanks for the write up! I to loved the first and second games, where as the demo made me cancel my pre order

I also cancelled mate, but after reading the reviews i decided to take a shot with it and im not disappointed so far.

Having slept on it, this is unmistakably a Dead Space game. I havent tried any of the new features yet (Kinect, Micro-transactions, co-op) so it does just feel like a proper continuation from DS2.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Ultrasoundwave 8 Feb 2013 09:01:22 3,417 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    FogHeart wrote:
    An Elite Military assault rifle with a secondary-fire shotgun under-barrell

(put in bold to try and emphasise just how awesome this fucking gun is!)
    This is the problem.

This is the FUCKING PROBLEM!

When you create this kind of weapon you aren't playing survival horror. The weapons you use in survival horror aren't there to make you feel badass, and they should never be 'awesome'. When you kill an enemy you aren't supposed to feel like "Yeah, take it you ugly bitches!" you should feel "Oh, thank God I managed to kill it, that was hairy." Not triumph - relief.

Traditionally this was done by giving you weak weapons and low ammo. The revolution that Dead Space gave us was a new way of doing combat in survival horror which replicated the stress but with a different style of play - where the guns were powerful but you needed to use each shot wisely and strategically or you'd quickly be overwhelmed.

But when you get a combo assault rifle and shotgun, where's the risk? You use the assault rifle to hit the limbs but if you're not quick enough and it get close you just shotgun them to get some room.

According to the reviews the game now compensates for that by making the enemies pull back and hide then attack in numbers. I don't like that, it's cheap and reduces combat to throwing as much firepower at them as you can.

There were disappointing guns in Dead Space - it had a machine gun, a bazooka, a shotgun - you didn't need to use these guns strategically. The ripper, the line gun - these were the great weapons in the game.

So, OK, you can wield great weapons and use them against hordes. It's probably a great experience, but it's one I can get elsewhere, and it's not why I jumped on board the series...and, as I've said before, bought the game, the lightgun game on Wii, the movie, the book, the graphic novel...the kickass weapons in an action horror game, no matter how accomplished it is, mean that I've jumped off at this stop.

I highly recommend trying the game before you condemn it.

Like Mola_Ram said, just because i created an amazing rifle that i think makes the game even more fun to play, it doesnt mean you have to. You can just upgrade the Plasma Cutter and play through with that if you want to.

• CharlieStCloud 8 Feb 2013 09:04:02 5,530 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    \^o^/

The postman arrived early today!

I skimmed USW's words, but it looks like I won't enjoy the opening very much ...

... oh well.
  • Lexx87 8 Feb 2013 09:04:35 20,863 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's about what the game is designed around though. Sounds plop to me.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Gambit1977 8 Feb 2013 09:05:51 10,384 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Have they kept with Isaac being Nathan Drake in space?
    Much preferred the first when he kept his gob shut!
  • Lexx87 8 Feb 2013 09:06:58 20,863 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just his " aaargghuff!" stompy sound was enough.

Speak the truth hussy!

• CharlieStCloud 8 Feb 2013 09:08:09 5,530 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    Just by watching the trailers and playing the demo, he talks just as much as he did in the sequel ...

... I too liked him being a silent character in the original as it kind of reflect upon what you, the player, was going through.
  • Gambit1977 8 Feb 2013 09:08:58 10,384 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:
    Just his " aaargghuff!" stompy sound was enough.
    I loaded the demo last night, heard his heavy breathing and thought, nope...this isn't looking good.

Walked a bit in the snow, looked nice, then the staged jump of obviousness came and I turned it off.

I don't know how it changed so much, I adored the first. Maybe I was weird :D
  • Gambit1977 8 Feb 2013 09:10:06 10,384 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    Just by watching the trailers and playing the demo, he talks just as much as he did in the sequel ...

... I too liked him being a silent character in the original as it kind of reflect upon what you, the player, was going through.
    He didn't just start talking, the problem was he became this charismatic quip generator.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 8 Feb 2013 09:35:51 11,564 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Game's asking me to download patch 1.01. Anyone know what's in it?

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• King_Edward 8 Feb 2013 09:46:17 11,471 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Probably a resource glitch fix or two.
  • SomaticSense 8 Feb 2013 12:21:43 9,178 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Gambit1977 wrote:

It was an utterly bizarre decison to characterise him more. Especially so when said characterisation ended up being about as generic as gaming has seen.

All the more baffling to hear Visceral's reasoning for the increase in action. Yeah fine, Issac is a Necro killing vet now so having him more accomplished in stressful situations makes sense, but they could quite easily have had a new main protagonist and literally no one would have given a shit.
  • FogHeart 8 Feb 2013 13:30:30 995 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Multi-paragraph rant...did I seem rantish? I suppose I did. Not meaning to insult, just venting because the series is no longer designed around my desires where I used to be such an ardent fan. Blame the third glass of wine. Apologies!

I was actually looking forward to Isaac gaining a voice. There hasn't been any reason given for his taciturn demeanour in the first game - I thought they could have alluded to the fact that deep down he knew his girlfriend was dead and it had affected him that way - but he ended up being pretty pedestrian a hero, a personality interchangeable with the one in many other games. I thought he could have been portrayed as someone a bit damaged by his ordeal (and his continuing hallucination) but there's never any sign of it. There's a bit in DS2 when he talks to Ellie after boarding the Ishimura and she says 'You sound nervous'. I've heard what he says many a time but I can't hear any nerves in his voice. Obviously some bloody focus group said don't make him sound like a pussy.
  • glo 8 Feb 2013 14:09:31 3,438 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    Probably a resource glitch fix or two.
    Yeah, it's funny how fast they can get a patch out if it is losing them some potential income. I guarantee if it was just a bug that messed up people's save games or achievements they would not have been in such a rush.
  • SomaticSense 8 Feb 2013 14:20:54 9,178 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    -cerberus- wrote:
    @glo But is it really a resource glitch fix though?
    It would be pretty depressing if it was. Especially for those who play EA's sports games.
  • PrivateFloyd 8 Feb 2013 14:21:42 4,189 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    30 minutes in and really enjoying it so far.

Don't really see what the problem is with the intro, I actually thought it was pretty epic as intros go, those who have played it will know what I am referring to.

I think I'm going to enjoy this one.

Goat is hungry.....

• Darth_Flibble 8 Feb 2013 14:54:26 1,781 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    it says on the bot modifications screen, bot modifications are available as DLC, does that mean ONLY as DLC? if so then the devs are bunch of liars

The prologue and chapter 1 and 2 are very much not dead space, its just noise, aimed at the gamer who wants explosions every second. Sure Ellie didn't have big boobs in 2, not surprised as the game is more aimed at the action shooter gamer
  • Ultrasoundwave 8 Feb 2013 15:07:03 3,417 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    PrivateFloyd wrote:
    30 minutes in and really enjoying it so far.

Don't really see what the problem is with the intro, I actually thought it was pretty epic as intros go, those who have played it will know what I am referring to.

I think I'm going to enjoy this one.

Depends which bit your on about - i thought the prologue was excellent, really starts the game off with a bang (literally). However, the first half of chapter 1 (Isaac killing Unitologists with a SMG), i thought was very poor.

Luckily, it picks up after that.

WAY up.

• fletch7100 8 Feb 2013 15:25:02 7,446 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Wasn't going to buy this but I have the breaking point of a soaking wet kit kat. Impulse buy from Game it is.

Just noticed you can add money to your Steam account in Game as well.
  • Bulbatron 8 Feb 2013 15:37:49 857 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    G'ah! It's now release day and my copy still hasn't arrived in spite of the fact that GAME shipped it days ago!

The also shipped Aliens Colonial Marines today. I'll be pissed if that's late too. :-(

Wow - what a mansion!

• Deleted user 8 February 2013 16:13:32
    Im about 25% through, its resembled a padded gauntlet so far.
  • MatMan562 8 Feb 2013 16:47:59 2,615 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So, for those playing, is ammo as little of a concern as it seemed in the demo?

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Deleted user 8 February 2013 16:58:44
    Ammo is of abundance, sadly.
  • Darth_Flibble 8 Feb 2013 17:00:14 1,781 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MatMan562 wrote:
    So, for those playing, is ammo as little of a concern as it seemed in the demo?

playing on normal solo and you get loads of ammo and health
  • MatMan562 8 Feb 2013 18:14:51 2,615 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Damn, that's a shame. Maybe the harder difficulties would be better then. Thanks for the info!

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• stryker1121 8 Feb 2013 18:54:12 770 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DS2 normal was a relative cakewalk. Survivalist meanwhile was a good deal tougher with more than a few very challenging fights. Hoping DS3 brings the intensity of the second game along with the same DS atmosphere. Not giving up hope!
  • Darth_Flibble 8 Feb 2013 18:58:45 1,781 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    in DS2 I had decent ammount of ammo as I kept to 2 or 3 guns but DS3 seems a lot more ammo and health.
  • fletch7100 8 Feb 2013 20:25:17 7,446 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Right, just on chapter 3, as soon as I passed a checkpoint I quit out the game. Left Xbox on and helped with dinner. Went back to Xbox continued from where I left off for a minute then I quit exactly the same way. Turned Xbox off, just started now and my save slot says 0.0 time. Have to restart from the beginning. Charming
  • Page

of 23 First / Last