Dead Space 3 Page 12

• Page

of 23 First / Last

• stryker1121 5 Feb 2013 19:13:15 765 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Numerous complaints about story and some of the pacing, i.e. fetch quests and back-tracking. The first 2 games had you playing the heavily armored repairman, but I am surprised that people are getting 20 hours out of what is essentially an action game. Wonder how much of that time is spent fiddling around with the work bench.
  • MrE26 5 Feb 2013 19:15:29 1,983 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's between this & Colonial Marines for me on day 1. The other can wait a few weeks til it's sub-£20.

DS1 was amazing i thought, then DS2 cranked up the action & toned back on the atmosphere & tension. This seems to have gone even further down that path, which is a shame.
  • -cerberus- 5 Feb 2013 22:21:02 3,621 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Giant Bomb review (3 stars)

People are bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling.

• Gruff 5 Feb 2013 22:23:38 2,947 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Completed the first one, terrific game

Got half way through the 2nd, Traded it in.

Didn't buy the third, noticed it in the pre owned section for £10 one day, bought it.

Edited by Gruff at 22:24:15 05-02-2013

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• Telepathic.Geometry 6 Feb 2013 06:09:52 11,560 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It seems to me that it's like this:

Dead Space 1 -> Alien;
    Dead Space 2 -> Aliens;
    Dead Space 3 -> Alien Resurrection.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• dominalien 6 Feb 2013 08:02:07 7,065 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gruff wrote:

Didn't buy the third, noticed it in the pre owned section for £10 one day, bought it.
    You bought DS3 used for 10 pounds? Are you from the future?

PSN: DonOsito

• Ultrasoundwave 6 Feb 2013 08:06:40 3,411 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:

Dead Space 1 -> Alien;
    Dead Space 2 -> Aliens;
    Hopefully its more like this :

Dead Space 1 -> Alien
    Dead Space 2 -> Aliens
    Dead Space 3 -> Prometheus

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• sanctusmortis 6 Feb 2013 08:33:33 9,797 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Reviews either seem massively enthusiastic (Polygon, Game Informer) or quite cold on the changes (EG, Giant Bomb). I'm playing it whatever, but the opening hour looked good to me, so I think I'd be camp 1 anyhow.
  • Ultrasoundwave 6 Feb 2013 09:16:24 3,411 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    After reading the reviews, i stuck it on pre-order with Shopto.

The common denominator seems to be that if you enjoyed the first two games, you will enjoy this one.

A lot of the negatives seem to be aimed at the new stuff - the co-op, Kinect features and the micro-transactions.

However, i have no plans to use any of those features (where as reviewers are kind of forced to use them) so i hope ill enjoy it a lot more than some of them did.

• fletch7100 6 Feb 2013 09:47:43 7,446 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Gruff wrote:

You bought DS3 used for 10 pounds? Are you from the future?
    Marty I didn't invent the time machine for financial gain
  • jellyhead 6 Feb 2013 09:53:09 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Giant Bomb quick look made the game look much, much better than i feared and even they were saying not to bother buying the weapons & other gimmicks. They also pointed out how annoying the begging was in the game but at least the crafting seems to be a plus. They said to play the side missions until you got bored of them and then forget about them as they're not worth it if you don't find them fun.

Something i might pick up later in the year once i've cleared out some of the backlog. Though i do fear the we are really, really close to a £50 being built with micro-transactions required to progress. Looking at you, EA.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• magicpanda 6 Feb 2013 11:46:46 13,480 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Infinite Resource bug in Dead Space 3.

A nice big fuck you to micro transactions.

Spoilers obviously and EA might literally kill you for using it.

Edited by magicpanda at 11:52:18 06-02-2013
  • -cerberus- 6 Feb 2013 12:59:53 3,621 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dead Space 1 -> Aliens
    Dead Space 2 -> More Aliens
    Dead Space 3 -> Even more Aliens
    That's more like it.

People are bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling.

• sanctusmortis 6 Feb 2013 13:30:34 9,797 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The series has always been an action game with horror elements. I really have no issue with what it's doing, at all.

And that resources thing seems to be by design, nothing EA can do about it. It's like farming Darkroot in Dark Souls.
  • GiarcYekrub 7 Feb 2013 09:54:32 3,857 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've been stupid I don't have a preorder I'm kinda at the mercy of Morrisons and Sainsburys, I hope they're ~£35
  • Restart 7 Feb 2013 18:05:35 4,904 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Did anyone else catch this hilarious quote at the end of an article about the Dead Space 3 glitch on the BBC News site?

"If you go into a baker's to buy a bun and they give you the wrong change and you walk away knowing you have been given more change than you handed over in the first place, that's theft," Sara Ludlam, an intellectual property expert at Lupton, Fawcett, Lee & Priestley told the BBC.

"So, arguably if you go into this game knowing you are supposed to be paying for these weapons and you notice a glitch allows you to accumulate them without paying, that's theft as well.
  • Ultrasoundwave 7 Feb 2013 22:23:07 3,411 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Am i really the only one playing this???

I'll start out with a disclaimer as to where i am with the series : played the first two, loved them both equally, very disappointed with the demo for Dead Space 3.

Anyway, onto the game. I've just finished playing for the night - got up to Chapter 4.

There's a nice prologue to start things off - it sets the scene nicely and also serves to remind you just how great the Dead Space games look and how well they play. It also sets the story up quite nicely.

Anyway, onto the meat of the game.

I'll admit, the first chapter had me worried. We meet up with Isaac and within minutes he's given a sub-machine gun and you're gunning down enemy soldiers - be warned, the first 10 minutes of the game is basically a generic 3rd-person shooter. There is nothing wrong with the mechanics : enemies are fun to kill (no bullet sponges) and the machine gun is a decent weapon, but this is NOT what Dead Space should be about.

However, things improve further along. Your trusty Plasma Cutter is also along for the ride and some Necros show up pretty soon afterwards - the game turns from bright, colourful mayhem into the dark, twisted terror we all know and love in the blink of an eye.

Ill try not spoil the story too much, but before Isaac gets to the frozen planet you've seen from the promos and demo, you stop off at a ship to investigate a distress beacon, which is where chapter 3 kicks off.

I can say, with a big grin on my face, that this is when Dead Space 3 comes to life.

This ship is basically a mini-ishimura : claustrophobic and dark with strange noises coming from the vents and shadows moving out of the corner of your eye. In other words : fucking terrifying and bloody brilliant.

The only new gameplay mechanic i've tried so far in the first four chapters was the new and improved work bench. What i'll say is that it really is an improvement to the series and the first great innovation that Dead Space 3 has provided.

Basically, instead of simply upgrading whatever weapons you scavenge, you can now create weapons if you have the right materials available. By this point, i had manage to scavenge a decent amount of shit and creating my first weapon was great fun. The weapon itself :

An Elite Military assault rifle with a secondary-fire shotgun under-barrell

(put in bold to try and emphasise just how awesome this fucking gun is!)

Anyway, im calling it a night now. Not very far into the game obviously, but, after a shaky start, this game is slowly cranking up the awesome.

Edited by Ultrasoundwave at 22:24:26 07-02-2013

• Syrette 7 Feb 2013 22:24:49 44,216 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Yeah, you really are.

As it's not out in the UK yet.

• Ultrasoundwave 7 Feb 2013 22:25:24 3,411 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I live in the UK......Shopto is your friend.

• Syrette 7 Feb 2013 22:25:35 44,216 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anyway, anyone know what the average length for this is? Plan on getting it out of the way in time for Aliens

• King_Edward 7 Feb 2013 22:38:30 11,471 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    13 hours seems the popular figure.
  • Syrette 7 Feb 2013 22:39:03 44,216 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's a decent length, thanks.

• MatMan562 7 Feb 2013 22:54:45 2,605 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Ultrasoundwave Thanks for the impressions! Like you I loved the first two and wasn't overly impressed with the demo so DS3 is sounding promising so far. I'd be interested to hear more of what you think of the rest of the game.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• FogHeart 8 Feb 2013 00:23:34 988 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago

This is the problem.

This is the FUCKING PROBLEM!

When you create this kind of weapon you aren't playing survival horror. The weapons you use in survival horror aren't there to make you feel badass, and they should never be 'awesome'. When you kill an enemy you aren't supposed to feel like "Yeah, take it you ugly bitches!" you should feel "Oh, thank God I managed to kill it, that was hairy." Not triumph - relief.

Traditionally this was done by giving you weak weapons and low ammo. The revolution that Dead Space gave us was a new way of doing combat in survival horror which replicated the stress but with a different style of play - where the guns were powerful but you needed to use each shot wisely and strategically or you'd quickly be overwhelmed.

But when you get a combo assault rifle and shotgun, where's the risk? You use the assault rifle to hit the limbs but if you're not quick enough and it get close you just shotgun them to get some room.

According to the reviews the game now compensates for that by making the enemies pull back and hide then attack in numbers. I don't like that, it's cheap and reduces combat to throwing as much firepower at them as you can.

There were disappointing guns in Dead Space - it had a machine gun, a bazooka, a shotgun - you didn't need to use these guns strategically. The ripper, the line gun - these were the great weapons in the game.

So, OK, you can wield great weapons and use them against hordes. It's probably a great experience, but it's one I can get elsewhere, and it's not why I jumped on board the series...and, as I've said before, bought the game, the lightgun game on Wii, the movie, the book, the graphic novel...the kickass weapons in an action horror game, no matter how accomplished it is, mean that I've jumped off at this stop.
  • Mola_Ram 8 Feb 2013 01:03:32 8,273 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I dunno, the first game was pretty much on the action side of survival horror. As has been said, it had a shottie, a machine gun. Now, you didn't have to use those, but then neither do you have to use the "awesome" guns in this. Hell, you could probably go through the whole game with the plasma cutter, as I did in the first. Create your own risk. You don't have to use the powerful guns.

And you also don't need to go into a multi-paragraph rant at the poor guy posting above you, just because he's had the temerity to enjoy the action of this game that you, incidentally, have not played yet.
  • SomaticSense 8 Feb 2013 01:21:38 9,147 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Restart wrote:
    Did anyone else catch this hilarious quote at the end of an article about the Dead Space 3 glitch on the BBC News site?

"If you go into a baker's to buy a bun and they give you the wrong change and you walk away knowing you have been given more change than you handed over in the first place, that's theft," Sara Ludlam, an intellectual property expert at Lupton, Fawcett, Lee & Priestley told the BBC.

"So, arguably if you go into this game knowing you are supposed to be paying for these weapons and you notice a glitch allows you to accumulate them without paying, that's theft as well.
    WTF? She's mental!

THEFT?

No one playing is supposed to be paying anything except the price of admission that was the game itself.

She's living in cloud cuckoo land if she thinks that example is at all relevant.

Hmm. Surely this is more a case of the bakery intentionally not adding chocolate chips to the choc chip cookies but still charging full whack, and then charging extra for each individual choc chip the customer wants adding, only to find out later that one of the bakers has been including them anyway as a mistake? Is that not a more appropriate metaphor for this case? Would the customer then be stealing?

Jesus. Did EA pay for that drivel?

Edited by SomaticSense at 01:33:34 08-02-2013
  • Mola_Ram 8 Feb 2013 01:35:18 8,273 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think the whole "pay real money to unlock things earlier" has made it a little more complicated. Nobody would care if fake money was the only option.
  • SomaticSense 8 Feb 2013 01:46:42 9,147 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thing is, the way she describes it implies she actually knows nothing of what the microtransactions are, what the so-called 'glitch' is, or the items being picked up through said 'glitch'. So her comment is completely without worth.
  • Anthony_UK 8 Feb 2013 02:02:00 2,551 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:

I'll start out with a disclaimer as to where i am with the series : played the first two, loved them both equally, very disappointed with the demo for Dead Space 3.

Anyway, onto the game. I've just finished playing for the night - got up to Chapter 4.

There's a nice prologue to start things off - it sets the scene nicely and also serves to remind you just how great the Dead Space games look and how well they play. It also sets the story up quite nicely.

Anyway, onto the meat of the game.

I'll admit, the first chapter had me worried. We meet up with Isaac and within minutes he's given a sub-machine gun and you're gunning down enemy soldiers - be warned, the first 10 minutes of the game is basically a generic 3rd-person shooter. There is nothing wrong with the mechanics : enemies are fun to kill (no bullet sponges) and the machine gun is a decent weapon, but this is NOT what Dead Space should be about.

However, things improve further along. Your trusty Plasma Cutter is also along for the ride and some Necros show up pretty soon afterwards - the game turns from bright, colourful mayhem into the dark, twisted terror we all know and love in the blink of an eye.

Ill try not spoil the story too much, but before Isaac gets to the frozen planet you've seen from the promos and demo, you stop off at a ship to investigate a distress beacon, which is where chapter 3 kicks off.

I can say, with a big grin on my face, that this is when Dead Space 3 comes to life.

This ship is basically a mini-ishimura : claustrophobic and dark with strange noises coming from the vents and shadows moving out of the corner of your eye. In other words : fucking terrifying and bloody brilliant.

The only new gameplay mechanic i've tried so far in the first four chapters was the new and improved work bench. What i'll say is that it really is an improvement to the series and the first great innovation that Dead Space 3 has provided.

Basically, instead of simply upgrading whatever weapons you scavenge, you can now create weapons if you have the right materials available. By this point, i had manage to scavenge a decent amount of shit and creating my first weapon was great fun. The weapon itself :

Anyway, im calling it a night now. Not very far into the game obviously, but, after a shaky start, this game is slowly cranking up the awesome.
    Sold! Thanks for the write up! I to loved the first and second games, where as the demo made me cancel my pre order
  • Telepathic.Geometry 8 Feb 2013 02:16:37 11,560 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:

Dead Space 1 -> Alien;
    Dead Space 2 -> Aliens;
    Hopefully its more like this :

Dead Space 1 -> Alien
    Dead Space 2 -> Aliens
    Dead Space 3 -> Prometheus
    Heh, either way, it's not good news. Actually, I preferred Alien Resurrection. :/

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Page

of 23 First / Last