Dead Space 3 Page 9

• Page

of 23 First / Last

• Anthony_UK 2 Feb 2013 12:09:12 2,499 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The demo really did put me off after loving the first two games, this article has renewed my faith a little though

http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/30/warning-contains-plenty-of-dead-space/
  • Syrette 2 Feb 2013 13:22:46 43,524 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How was it brilliant?

I'm not trying to be annoying - wondering if I've missed something is all. Same with the Crysis 3 beta.

• M83J01P97 2 Feb 2013 13:28:09 6,661 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Graveland wrote:
    Personally, I thought the demo was brilliant. It's definitely caught my interest in picking up a copy of DS3. I'm glad that it appears to be taking a different direction to the first game as the first game was massively flawed and fundamentally boring. It did get better around 5 hours in, but overall was a very bland corridor shooter.
    Was the complete opposite for me... I thought Dead Space was a very original take on the horror game as it didn't feel the need to throw lots of enemies at you all at once, focusing instead on creating a real sense of ominous dread.

Dead Space 2 sadly moved a little further away from this... but it did still have the same atmosphere of the original, it just wasn't as... original any more.

Dead Space 3 appears (from the Demo at least) to have abandoned that completely and decided to become Gears of War 4.
  • Syrette 2 Feb 2013 13:29:49 43,524 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anthony_UK's link does make it clear that the demo isn't fully representative of the full game.

I don't doubt the full game will be a very good one.

I just hope I'm not going to be missing out on too much by playing it in single player only (renting and I can't see myself paying for an online pass).

• Cappy 2 Feb 2013 13:47:58 11,943 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Okay, so people are turned off by a lot of aspects of Dead Space 3.

There is one thing that requires a little clarification though, when exactly did some people start convincing themselves that the original Dead Space is a horror and suspense masterpiece?

It really isn't, the structure which governs the scripting of enemy encounters is so obvious that it's a struggle to summon any surprise or fear at the totally 'unexpected' arrival of an enemy rush right after you activated whatever widget the linear structure of the game forced you to.

Dead Space needed to be more organically structured to illicit real tension and fear.

As far as the action component goes, from a more neutral position it looks like business as usual, there was plenty of shooting in both previous games, the only game changer is the human enemies and a rather half hearted cover system where Isaac is content to leave his head and shoulders exposed.

In the demo encounters I didn't get a chance to kill a single human enemy, whilst I was cowering behind a crate necromorphs finished off the lot of them each time. I suspect that will be a recurring event with human enemies.
  • killersrquiet 2 Feb 2013 13:59:32 2,009 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The demo was underwhelming it feels like all these EA enforced changes push ds3 away from its main point. Running around scared shitless with little ammo. I know there will be the usual elements but with day one dlc. Micro transactions etc it doesn't interest me at all
  • Syrette 2 Feb 2013 14:16:42 43,524 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cappy wrote:

There is one thing that requires a little clarification though, when exactly did some people start convincing themselves that the original Dead Space is a horror and suspense masterpiece?

It really isn't, the structure which governs the scripting of enemy encounters is so obvious that it's a struggle to summon any surprise or fear at the totally 'unexpected' arrival of an enemy rush right after you activated whatever widget the linear structure of the game forced you to.

Dead Space needed to be more organically structured to illicit real tension and fear.
    Oh, well, if you didn't think much of it then I guess none of us should have either.

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 2 Feb 2013 14:21:08 6,654 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I own 2 on the PC but have never played it. Did enjoy 1 though.
  • Oh-Bollox 2 Feb 2013 14:33:20 5,258 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cappy wrote:

Those aren't what people are talking about, though. I don't think I've ever read someone praising the sections where you turn machine on = arena shooter for a minute or two. Those parts are shit.

In the demo encounters I didn't get a chance to kill a single human enemy, whilst I was cowering behind a crate necromorphs finished off the lot of them each time. I suspect that will be a recurring event with human enemies.
    I noticed this in the later sections of the demo, human enemies were Thinging out after one hit from a Necromorph. WTF?
  • Bremenacht 2 Feb 2013 14:35:14 18,292 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cappy wrote:

It works. Maybe it is often predictable, but so what? That's part of what suspense or tension is about, right? Ever do that thing as a kid where you touch a bare wire or an electrified fence? It's the same thing. You know what's going to happen next, but you dare yourself to do it anyway. The only surprise is if nothing happens.
  • Deleted user 2 February 2013 22:39:38
    So.... Anybody watch the leaked ending :lol:

People are saying its similar to another franchise ending in three.

Game informer gave it 7.75 saying it really dragged near the end and was mean't to be played in co-op.They also it said it was extremely lacking in atmosphere compared to the other two games so the micro transactions are the least of my worries now.
  • -cerberus- 2 Feb 2013 22:56:48 2,879 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    WeakOrbit wrote: Game informer gave it 7.75
    Anybody got a scan of the review?

Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.

• stryker1121 3 Feb 2013 05:44:06 692 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    For what it's worth - GI exec editor Andrew Reiner's claims on Twitter that the leaked score and story is fake and the real review will be released Tuesday. Scroll halfway down for his comments.

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Reiner
  • CharlieStCloud 3 Feb 2013 09:30:00 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    WeakOrbit wrote:
    So, anybody watch the leaked ending ... :lol:

Mass Effect 3?

Not that I'd know because I haven't played any of them.

Oh, is it similar to Halo 3 ... where Master Chief goes to sleep?
  • King_Edward 3 Feb 2013 09:53:17 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    WeakOrbit wrote:
    So, anybody watch the leaked ending ... :lol:

Mass Effect 3?

Not that I'd know because I haven't played any of them.

Oh, is it similar to Halo 3 ... where Master Chief goes to sleep?
    Star Wars. Ewoks turn up and start blasting Necromorphs.
  • -cerberus- 4 Feb 2013 12:29:13 2,879 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    AusGamers review (9/10)

• the_dudefather 4 Feb 2013 12:42:12 9,288 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Near the end Isaac dismembers a necromorph and quips 'heh, pull yourself together!', then the universe is so embarrassed it spontaneously implodes

The end

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Tricky 4 Feb 2013 12:53:00 4,404 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    "Con: Looting was always plentiful, not requiring conservation of ammo and resources"

Well, on the plus side, maybe that will answer all the Chicken Lickens that have been worried about the DLC introducing grinding.

On the downside: less tension :-(

Looks like I'll be picking this up on the cheap like I did with DS2 (which I still haven't finished).
  • GiarcYekrub 4 Feb 2013 13:45:21 3,774 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What I want to really know is can I one gun it again?
  • CharlieStCloud 4 Feb 2013 17:20:02 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    GiarcYekrub wrote:
    What I want to really know is can I one gun it again?
    I hope so!

I have only just got a dispatch e-mail from GAME ...

... : )

My backlog is clear as day (with the exception of Crazy Taxi and Jet Set Radio HD) so, I am very much looking forward to this.
  • killersrquiet 4 Feb 2013 18:35:42 2,009 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    -cerberus- wrote:
    AusGamers review (9/10)
    Typical AAA game scoring 9 out of 10. Seems to be a trend for triple a games reviewed by the same paid off sites. They listed some of dead spaces niche points as cons or watered down. I'll wait for a price drop

Edited by killersrquiet at 18:36:42 04-02-2013
  • Syrette 4 Feb 2013 18:36:43 43,524 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You'll wait for a price drop because you disagree with a review from a site that most of us probably have never heard of?

• killersrquiet 4 Feb 2013 18:39:17 2,009 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    You'll wait for a price drop because you disagree with a review from a site that most of us probably have never heard of?
    Not saying I disagree but all I've seen or read about ds3 is unappealing. Demo wasn't great either. I'll read all the review sites but YouTube gameplay vids tend to give me a better feel for how a game will be.
  • Syrette 4 Feb 2013 18:42:30 43,524 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fair enough.

It screams rental to me.

• Deleted user 4 February 2013 18:51:30
    Review embargo is over tomorrow morning if I'm correct? I'll be interested in seeing the EG review after Saturdays write up.
  • -cerberus- 4 Feb 2013 18:52:27 2,879 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Syrette It screams 'used for a fiver/tenner' to me.

Edited by -cerberus- at 18:52:48 04-02-2013

• Tricky 4 Feb 2013 20:22:54 4,404 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Weakorbit - let me guess:

If it gets a high score you'll scream "paid for"?

Whilst I think everyone panicking about the DLC and "what it means for the future of gaming" are a bunch of hand-wringing, tin foil-hatted scaremongerers, you lot who think that Saturday's article was anything more than offering an alternative view to the one set out earlier in the week are just ridiculous.
  • neilka 4 Feb 2013 20:25:14 15,958 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aren't we meant to be ignoring the microtransactions?

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• Page

of 23 First / Last