Dead Space 3 Page 7

• Page

of 23 First / Last

• Deleted user 19 January 2013 17:42:19
    Oh-Bollox wrote:
    DeCoR wrote:
    @Oh-Bollox Yep true I should have said pain in a sadistic sense. Babies are debate ably capable of committing evil acts? Or any of the evils associated with humanity in general?

Thanks for clearing that up.
    Look at any ethics debate about personal responsibility. There is no proof that, before age x, we are not capable of good or evil, or responsible for what we do.

As for the dehumanisation of children: it's wrong to dehumanise human beings full stop. There is nothing sacred about childhood, that's a very recent social construct that still has not even caught on in most of the world today. It really doesn't apply here because they're not human any more, they are, IIRC actually corpses of babies that have been reanimated and mutated. If you were shooting black or Asian babies, you'd have a point (as in, the game would be strenuously trying to convince you of the 'otherness' of other humans). Here they are not recognisably human in appearance or behaviour (tentacles, ability to survive in a vacuum and fire projectiles, etc).
    When was the last time you saw a baby murder or rape someone?

Yes it is as I pointed out earlier in the thread.

There is nothing sacred in your opinion.

Childhood is not a social construct its a biological condition.

I find your comment about it only being wrong if it were black or asian babies absolutely revolting and sincerely hope you edit that out if you have any kind of investment in how others see you around here.

There are recognizable forms of babies in both Dead Space 2 and Dantes Inferno as I said in my original point.
  • Oh-Bollox 20 Jan 2013 18:20:21 5,323 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So because someone lacks the ability, they lack the intent?

Wrong, and ignorant. See here for an incredibly basic starting point. When you've read a lot more on the subject, you might then be ready to start discussing it like an adult.

Stupid, and redundant.

I find your comment about it only being wrong if it were black or asian babies absolutely revolting and sincerely hope you edit that out if you have any kind of investment in how others see you around here.
    Go to the head of the Poor Reading Comprehension Queue.

There are recognizable forms of babies in both Dead Space 2 and Dantes Inferno as I said in my original point.
    No, they're not. Babies don't have tentacles, for a start. I played through the entirety of DS1 without noticing (I thought they were dogs). Haven't played Dante's Inferno, so can't address that.

The entire point of dehumanisation is to render humans as something 'other' than human. You often see it in propaganda based along racial, ethnic, or religious lines. You cannot dehumanise something that is not human.
  • King_Edward 20 Jan 2013 18:24:38 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Are you saying babies have rape fantasies? ;P
  • CosmicFuzz 20 Jan 2013 18:32:36 24,822 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    To be fair, when I was a baby I loved sucking tits.

Looking for a new video game podcast? Try ours! (And give us a rating on iTunes!) :)

• Oh-Bollox 20 Jan 2013 19:35:42 5,323 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    Are you saying babies have rape fantasies? ;P
    The only thing babies want to rape is DeCoR.
  • Deleted user 20 January 2013 20:46:03
    Oh-Bollox wrote:
    So because someone lacks the ability, they lack the intent?

Wrong, and ignorant. See here for an incredibly basic starting point. When you've read a lot more on the subject, you might then be ready to start discussing it like an adult.

Stupid, and redundant.

Go to the head of the Poor Reading Comprehension Queue.

No, they're not. Babies don't have tentacles, for a start. I played through the entirety of DS1 without noticing (I thought they were dogs). Haven't played Dante's Inferno, so can't address that.

The entire point of dehumanisation is to render humans as something 'other' than human. You often see it in propaganda based along racial, ethnic, or religious lines. You cannot dehumanize something that is not human.
    Would you like to share some of your intentions as a baby with us?

So you lack basic decency by calling me ignorant in a discussion, OK. You link me to an author less article that sounds amazingly like some of the pseudo philosophical justifications pedophiles use for the justification and legalization of rape of children? I am in no way saying you associate or approve of views like that, just calling it how I see it.

Not really, its common courtesy to give a reference to the first person when making some extreme statements.

That was extremely shaky ground you were on there.

Yes there are. You are referring to the tentacle babies that if you had read through the rest of the posts on this topic, I had agreed are not recognizably human like. The babies in question are just that, clearly recognizable babies with large sacks on their back or in the case of Dante's Inferno, babies with knives for arms. Ok the babies I'm referring to are in Dead Space 2, have you played that?

So a baby affected by a virus is no longer human?

I think based on this short exchange we have radically different world views and most likely nothing constructive would come of this. I made my points you made yours. All the best.
  • CosmicFuzz 20 Jan 2013 20:49:05 24,822 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What the fuck are you two talking about?

How can anyone know what babies are thinking - discussion over.

Looking for a new video game podcast? Try ours! (And give us a rating on iTunes!) :)

• RedSparrows 20 Jan 2013 20:49:06 23,227 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well this is a car crash.
  • DUFFMAN5 20 Jan 2013 20:53:48 14,952 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I keep looking at this thread in the hope that someone, anyone is talking about DS3...please,enough with the babies thing, or at least start a new thread.

So how do you guys like the demo, I thought it was godd, not great but enough for me to keep an eye on. Reminded me of The Thing game, well it would I suppose.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Deleted user 20 January 2013 20:58:33
    Whoa, didn't expect a debate on dead babies when I walked in. Think I'll promptly depart.

Toodles.
  • Deleted user 20 January 2013 22:47:32
    So does anyone reckon that once you finish the single player as Isaac you'll get to do the campaign as Carver?

Also wonder if you'll be able to do a hardcore Co-Op play.

Where will the Peng be?

Can I dismember a snowman?

Will there be a rascally bad guy?
  • SlimSpudly87 20 Jan 2013 22:49:54 72 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Got the early access demo code during the week. Really impressed with the gameplay, felt pretty fluid.

Not going to lie I MAY have shit myself as well.....
  • aeschylus 22 Jan 2013 10:41:14 446 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The demo is up for anyone who is waiting
  • CharlieStCloud 22 Jan 2013 16:02:08 5,275 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    aeschylus wrote:
    The demo is up for anyone who is waiting.
    Apart from the bizarre oh-look-the-drill-has-a-mind-of-its-own section as well as the cheekily similar opening (and a further down set piece) to Uncharted 2 ... I actually quite enjoyed it.
  • waggy79 22 Jan 2013 16:49:55 1,033 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Found the demo a little 'meh'. Nothing majorly wrong but not a day one for me.
  • MatMan562 22 Jan 2013 17:20:39 2,508 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think most people seem to have the same reaction to the demo as I did, namely it's not as bad as it looked but it's not as good as DS1 and 2. My plan based on this is to re-play Dead Space 1 and 2 (maybe on the hardest difficulties) and then that will hopefully scratch my Dead Space itch until DS3 gets to around the 20 mark.

It feels a bit odd saying this as I was really excited for DS2 pre-release.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• StarchildHypocrethes 22 Jan 2013 23:35:45 26,134 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well that gets a big fat meh.

Lame.
  • Syrette 23 Jan 2013 00:13:25 43,742 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Definitely no more than a rental.

• Scurrminator 23 Jan 2013 00:41:42 8,432 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It looked beautiful; but not scary.
    Still I'm looking forward to coop as the demo was fun.

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Anthony_UK 23 Jan 2013 02:09:59 2,509 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I never tried the demos for the previous games so maybe that demo gave a false impression of the full game.

The mechanics and general enemies did feel a little over familiar this time round. I think what I found the most jarring, is that for me a huge part of Dead Space is the story and the build up towards encounters and how there presented. To he dumped on an unfamiliar planet and be ambushed by enemies from the ground in a slightly lame manner (where did they come from, were they really just waiting there in the middle of nowhere for me to walk by) and even a mini boss within minutes of starting, with next to no explanation just didn't pull me into the game.

I'm guessing the demo contained various levels tacked together which also doesn't help. Just giving us the first 15mins of the game would have been much better idea personally.
  • MatMan562 23 Jan 2013 10:05:21 2,508 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Anthony_UK Apparently the demo for the original game was absolutely awful (i never tried the demo as I already had the full game) but the Dead Space 2 one was ok though it wasn't the best part of the game.

From what i've heard I gather this is the second level. I think you start the full game on the ship, possibly with no enemies or anything, and then it crashes on this world.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Ultrasoundwave 23 Jan 2013 10:08:14 3,335 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I absolutely loved the first two, easily two of the best games this generation, so ill be picking this up however it turns out.

It might be a bit less scary than the first two, but i cant see it being anywhere near as bad as some people are predicting.....

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Cappy 23 Jan 2013 10:19:17 12,016 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    WeakOrbit wrote:
    Where will the Peng be?
    Inside a dead baby if the baby hating developers get their way.
  • SomaticSense 23 Jan 2013 13:07:10 8,648 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The gun-toting enemies have done their utmost to temper my enthusiasm for the full game quite a bit.

I may well be wrong to feel put off by it, as DS2 surprised me with how good it was so the devs deserve every chance. Their reasoning for the increased focus on action and need for cover-taking is pure bs though.
  • Deleted user 23 January 2013 16:40:45
    @Cappy :lol:

Dem whacky babies!
  • stryker1121 23 Jan 2013 16:43:17 709 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Post deleted
  • stryker1121 23 Jan 2013 16:49:52 709 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Machinima preview alleviated some of the concerns I had about the game. Going solo you'll still be crawling through flickering corridors and the like. And the crafting system seems really interesting and certainly makes sense considering Isaac's background. I don't like the idea of fighting humans, but it seems it's a 3-way battle with Unitologists, the player and necros. My questions are:

-how much of the story will I miss going solo as opposed to co-op?
    -how much time will the player be spending in open, well lit environments as shown in the demo?

The hand-wringing over the game is verging into DmC territory a bit. I'm not a fan of 'action' taking precedence over 'horror-action,' but like Ultrasoundwave said, it's unlikely the game is going to be dud people think it will be, and hell it could actually be quite good. I'm cautiously optimistic at this point.

Edited by stryker1121 at 16:51:17 23-01-2013
  • King_Edward 23 Jan 2013 17:03:33 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think it'll stink, but I thought the last 2 stank so...
  • mrpon 23 Jan 2013 18:27:14 29,169 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ..ignore what I write.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Page

of 23 First / Last