Dead Space 3

• Page

of 22 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 4 June 2012 21:13:01
    Just thought I'd set up a discussion for this now. Loved Dead Space, Dead Space 2 and Extraction.

What do people reckon will happen with the third one?

Will the Co-Op ruin the immersion?

Should they have worked a little more on the novel idea of playing as the Necromorphs?

Has Isaac completely lost it?
  • CharlieStCloud 4 Jun 2012 21:25:23 5,135 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Isaac hasn't lost it ... the developers have.
  • Cappy 4 Jun 2012 21:31:47 11,835 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm Surprised we don't have a thread for this already.

Hopefully publishers start to see the value of product differentiation soon, third person action games are getting far too similar, a survival horror game can't horrify you when it plays like Uncharted or Gears of War.
  • dominalien 4 Jun 2012 21:46:29 6,839 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    But we do :-)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. DS1 and 2 were some of my most enjoyable gaming moments recently.

PSN: DonOsito

• Blerk Moderator 4 Jun 2012 21:49:38 48,225 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The clip they showed looks genuinely awful. Everything I ever liked about the series is just completely gone, replaced by generic cover-based shooting and foul-mouthed dude-bro morons.

Disappointed is not the word.
  • Armoured_Bear 4 Jun 2012 21:53:20 10,321 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    The clip they showed looks genuinely awful. Everything I ever liked about the series is just completely gone, replaced by generic cover-based shooting and foul-mouthed dude-bro morons.

This, looks pretty but so generic, all then tension and atmosphere gone.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Mr-Brett 4 Jun 2012 22:45:52 12,723 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd say it's more Lost Planet than Gears but either way it's not very Dead Space :/

Portable view - Never forget.

• uiruki 4 Jun 2012 22:48:12 3,663 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blerk wrote:

HEY MAN FUCK THIS PLANET
  • Deleted user 5 June 2012 00:49:15
    Oh man.

Scratch Dead Space off the Survival Horror List.

That trailer left me cold alright. Enemy designs have gone from The Thing to The Things In Lost Planet

With the introduction of shooting enemies I'm sure the only survival horror segments will be scripted jump segments highlighted by a separation from your CO-OP partner who if your playing with bad A.I or a random could be the scariest thing about it.

All being said though I'm looking forward to seeing a bit more and I seriously hope Lexine Weller is in it.

Laura Pyper who does her voice and likeness is a bit of a babe.

• neilka 5 Jun 2012 00:59:56 15,683 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    WeakOrbit wrote:

I'd strategically dismember her.

With my penis.
  • stryker1121 5 Jun 2012 03:46:22 667 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So, yeah, watched that demo and it was a bit depressing to see where the series is headed. Presumably you can play this solo, but doesn't that just mean Carver will be jabbering in your ear constantly? The last thing I wanted to see out of this franchise was human enemies, a cover system and yet more spastic action set-pieces, but apparently EA/Visceral know their fans, and this is exactly what everyone wanted..
  • dominalien 5 Jun 2012 07:02:28 6,839 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just watched the trailer. I like it. I don't care one way or another about co-op as I'll be playing solo anyway. What's that at the end, morse code?

PSN: DonOsito

• zisssou 5 Jun 2012 09:44:41 587 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This is so god damn disappointing judging from the gameplay trailer. It's like what happened to Resident Evil.. literally no suspense and just constant waves of action action action..
  • bad09 5 Jun 2012 10:32:22 5,664 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Just watched the trailer. I like it. I don't care one way or another about co-op as I'll be playing solo anyway. What's that at the end, morse code?
    That's the thing though most don't want co-op either but thanks to EAs online passes we all get a dudebro co-op AI buddy.

Really don't think I'll bother with the 3rd one, hated the sound of it before footage and the footage itself was so piss poor it's depressing.

To think this once great new horror series lasted only one game before the rot set in. This fucking industry :(
  • King_Edward 5 Jun 2012 10:38:01 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It was never great, only promising. It's gaming's Shola Ameobi.
  • bad09 5 Jun 2012 10:40:33 5,664 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I dunno the first had some great moments of pure dread and sheer terror it was a great start to the franchise.
  • King_Edward 5 Jun 2012 11:01:40 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It also had plenty telegraphed set-pieces and tedious shootouts.

They recognized that half the game was bad, they just cut out the wrong half.
  • bad09 5 Jun 2012 11:15:26 5,664 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There were tedious choke points in the first were you were locked in and bombarded with enemies but there were less so they were more impactful and even provided some of the more terrifying points in the game where you geniunely felt you was fighting for surivival, in a way I'm not surprised they thought upping the choke points for 2 was a good idea.

Set pieces yeah again they were in there but in balance with the rest of the game it worked, I think that's why DS2 isn't as good they screwed up the balance of gameplay elements to make it more a action packed shooter, which personally didn't really work.
  • sanctusmortis 5 Jun 2012 11:17:59 9,627 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Even though I liked the previous 2, I hope this is the end of the series. Because, by the looks of it, they're not doing a good job of keeping what makes it good going.
  • Deleted user 5 June 2012 12:58:33
    Ideally I wish the co-op was a separate venture. The trailer appeals to the base market of people in-experienced with survival horror with its focus on granted, impressive enough looking set pieces revolving around giant necromorphs.

But comparing DS1 to this is a bit like comparing Cloverfield to the Shining though.

I'd rather a unique co-op mode with a single player campaign. If they expanded on the multiplayer and had it far more open maps ala L4D with only 4 Necro's to choose from and maybe class based I.e Ripper and Stasis, Plasma and Rifle etc.

Or imagine if the co-op was a big sham and 1/3 of the way through the game one of the characters was killed off and you had to solo the game after that.

Doubtful though.

Dead Space, more like wounded franchise.
  • King_Edward 5 Jun 2012 13:45:05 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't mind the campaign having co-op, just so long as when I play it on my own my AI buddy is either a) not there, or b) shuts the fuck up and stays out of my way.

Edited by King_Edward at 16:11:16 05-06-2012
  • coomber 5 Jun 2012 15:28:22 324 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    WeakOrbit wrote:

I'd strategically dismember her.

With my penis.
    LOL
  • jack24 5 Jun 2012 16:59:17 284 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm pretty sure the other dude isn't there when you're in single player, it apparently completely changes cutscenes aswell. I'm also pretty sure anyone who is hating on this hasn't read the ign preview which hints at open world space exploration with side objectives..
  • King_Edward 5 Jun 2012 17:33:28 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Why would anyone complaining that it's not very Dead Spacey think those are good ideas?
  • Gearskin 5 Jun 2012 19:46:22 2,045 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've played, read and watched every piece of "Dead Space" that's available. The universe they've set up is now too vast to be resolved by a man simply sneaking down a dark corridor waiting for a monster to jump out.

Visceral is going where it has to in order to keep the momentum going.

And the co-op is optional. I've been chatting to whoever runs the official twitter feed and they're saying that, if you choose to play solo, you go solo. There will be no NPC following you around. If you play in co-op, certain areas and story sequences will be made available but they are surplus to Isaac's story.

Coop is replacing competitive multiplayer.

The only thing not revealed is how Carver is introduced into gameplay since the coop is drop in/drop out. The feed says "you'll see!"
  • SirScratchalot 5 Jun 2012 20:13:35 7,872 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The first Dead Space had a very Alien vibe mixed with Aliens amounts of carnage. This... well.... I'll try to keep an open mind but it's not my Dead Space.
    Then again a familiar Dead Space would have been no fun either...
    Wait and see then...
  • bad09 5 Jun 2012 21:20:03 5,664 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gearskin wrote:if you choose to play solo, you go solo. There will be no NPC following you around. If you play in co-op, certain areas and story sequences will be made available but they are surplus to Isaac's story.

That goes against what we've heard but I guess that was still rumour at that point. If it turns out true it's indeed brilliant news and enough to at least keep me interested a bit. Although it's still hard to get massively excited about a 3rd to be honest after action focused DS2.
  • coomber 8 Jun 2012 10:01:33 324 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gearskin wrote:
    The only thing not revealed is how Carver is introduced into gameplay since the coop is drop in/drop out. The feed says "you'll see!"
    My guess is he'll be a figure of Isaac's imagination. That way he can 'appear/disappear' whenever.
  • Deleted user 8 June 2012 10:28:52
    coomber wrote:
    Gearskin wrote:
    My guess is he'll be a figure of Isaac's imagination. That way he can 'appear/disappear' whenever.
    I'd say its more likely that a short solo chapter will introduce the two of them. No doubt at some point it will go into the Gears Co-Op style of split up on this path for a few jump rooms. Really hope Carver isn't an imaginary character, as it seems he has his own reasons for teaming up with Isaac. Like finding his family.
  • Page

of 22 First / Last

Previous